Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have listened to theists and creationists make what I view as the most absurd claims about the validity of religious doctrine and scripture. So here's a thread designed for anyone who thinks they can to show any evidence for these claims.

Of course everyone will then be entitled to comment on the veracity of what is presented and whether it has at least as much validity as scientific evidence, or indeed if it really is evidence at all.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that this thread is not just about evolution vs creationism,but seeks to uncover why anyone thinks faith based belief has as much or more validity as scientifically validated evidence.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down


Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 pm

polyglide wrote:Evolution on the other hand, that means an alternative, needs so many random, unbelieveable  events, with odds against that no one can calculate, they are so far beyond human understanding that makes it impossible, in  terms accepted by all sensible people as impossible.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Take this last claim for example, it's laughable nonsense to be sure but you don't seem aware of this, or why this is the case. Evolution has been validated again and again by 150 years of scientific scrutiny, never once has any of that falsified it, on the contrary the evidence keeps supporting Darwinian evolution. On the other hand creationism can't even get one shred of evidence validated by science, it's not even recognised as scientific because it fails at the first hurdle, as it is not falsifiable.

Now I asked you to do the same regarding both the buttrefly and the acorn. To date, NOTHING.

The last sentence is simply a lie as I have answered this more than once, candidly and offered links to seminal works on evolution all of which have withstood the same rigorous scientific scrutiny.

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Dr. Sheldon,
You have answered nothing, all you have done is quote other people.

Just for instance, if I said I understood how to build a house from start to finish, then I would be able to do so stage by stage, myself and not rely on others.

I am dying to know how the acorn developed, you tell me, you say you know it all.

Was the cup first, the tree, or the seed itself , etc;

How many wings did the butterfly start off with and what did it do before it had wings?

The butterfly depends on several circumstances prevailing at the same time, please explain how they came about at the same time.

There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that God did not create everything.

There is also no scientific evidence to prove the origin of life.

I have explained before, this is based on knowing, through actaul experience, that if you put an abnormal mixture of animals in an abnormal environment, then you will get abnormal results.
Not a brain teaser just comman sense, I think I mentioned commn sense elsewhere.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by oftenwrong on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:29 pm



If, at first, you don't succeed; Just keep on repeating the same thing until everyone else loses the will to live.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11615
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:15 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr. Sheldon, You have answered nothing, all you have done is quote other people.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Oh I'm sorry, I hadn't realise we were limiting the debate to personal knowledge, and that no knowledge outside of our own was valid. Are you really being serious because that claim is beyond stupid.  

Just for instance, if I said I understood how to build a house from start to finish, then I would be able to do so stage by stage, myself and not rely on others.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:What on earth are you blathering about? Seriously Polyglide the entire scientific world has been scrutinising evolution for over 150 years and amassed at least as much evidence to support it as any other scientific theory, but you won't accept is because it disagrees with a ludicrous creation myth from a bronze age superstition, and now think that because I'm not one of the worlds foremost experts in evolution you've trumped all this. This is beyond absurd, even for you, Go away and educate yourself about evolution, or don't, your choice, but it remains as solidly evidenced a scientific theory as gravity either way.  


I am dying to know how the acorn developed, you tell me, you say you know it all.
polyglide wrote:No you're not, you clearly have zero interest in learning anything about evolution. I see you're back to posting the most outrageous lies again, care to show a single post of mine claiming to "know it all"? You are the only one who has claimed expertise here, in debating skills rather hilariously. I have claimed no expertise at all, so do stop making up childish lies there's a good chap.

There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that God did not create everything.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Of course there isn't, what exactly does the evidence for the non-existence of something look like, you plank. There isn't a single shred of scientific evidence that proves an invisible supernatural unicorn isn't hiding in the woods, what is it you think that proves? This is called the god of teh gaps argument, or argumentum ignorantiam, it seems to be a favourite of yours.  Laughing

There is also no scientific evidence to prove the origin of life.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Another pointless irrelevant straw man argument as no one has claimed otherwise. Again this a god of the gaps polemic. There was once no scientific evidence to show we didn't live in geocentric universe as the christian religion claimed, it was still untrue and science proved it, though your religion tried the man who proved it for heresy.  

I have explained before, this is based on knowing, through actaul experience, that if you put an abnormal mixture of animals in an abnormal environment, then you will get abnormal results. Not a brain teaser just comman sense, I think I mentioned commn sense elsewhere.  
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Wow, "comman sense" (sic), words fail me. Again I find myself explaining the most basic facts about how evidence is validated, your "explanations", as entertaining as they undoubtedly are, mean squat. I really can't simplify it any more than that. Science has validated and is still validating evolution, no one's subjective opinion is needed or relevant, as the all the criteria required to satisfy the robust and rigorous methods of science have been applied. The medical research alone that is carried out every year based on evolutionary science is staggering. Though clearly I'm sure you think the entire scientific world should defer to your humorous and entertaining opinions, luckily this is not and will never be close to the truth.  

                                 
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Ivan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 pm

avatar
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

Posts : 6903
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : West Sussex, UK

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:37 am

polyglide wrote:Dr. Sheldon, You have answered nothing, all you have done is quote other people. 

The quotes I have used are from experts in the field of evolution, citing the evidence that science has amassed for evolution. Why would you claim to want to learn about a vast subject like evolution then insist not only that the debate be limited to 2 subjective fairly loaded questions, but also limit the answer to one person who has already explained they have no expertise in that field?

Does that not strike you as self defeating? Almost as if you don't really want to learn about the topic at all. Now have quoted experts, linked research, and several books on evolution by the world's foremost scientists in that field. You can ignore this if you like, but no one will really believe you have any interest in this topic or the truth if you do.

I have also taken great pains to explain the basics of the scientific process and how these methods have validated evolution. If as you claim to,  you have a good grasp of science then address those points and their relevance here.

I also linked project Steve which shows the kind of overwhelming support evolution has with the scientific community, also linking the statement of support by no less than 72 Nobel prize winning scientists. An unprecedented display in the history of the Nobel awards. So your bare claim to be able to provide scientists who refute evolution in equal numbers to those who accept it is palpably false.

These are some of the reasons to acknowledge evidence for evolution. In comparison all you've provided for your religious belief in creationism is your own subjective interpretation of ancient texts that contain obvious erroneous claims. Along with some personal anecdotal claims relating to your hobby. Not very compelling to be honest.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by boatlady on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 am

Why do I bother? headbang headbang

Why indeed?
avatar
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Posts : 3646
Join date : 2012-08-24
Location : Norfolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 am

Polyglide wrote: There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that God did not create everything

I have addressed this once so I'll just reiterate that citing the lack of evidence to disprove something is argumentum ignorantiam. This is a well know logical fallacy, as no evidence would exist to disprove somethings existence if in fact it didn't exist. However since there is no real evidence to prove the existence of any deity beyond anecdotal testimony from ancient and superstitious peoples, added to the fact that many of the claims made by the religions in question have turned out to entirely erroneous, we can make an objective reasonably informed judgment. Though not if we presuppose the answer with blind faith obviously.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:05 am

DR. Sheldon,
Get a life.

There is abundant evidence, look around, smell the air,
engage brain, consider the implications and then get someone with common sence to explain.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:22 am

polyglide wrote:DR. Sheldon,
                 Get a life.

                  There is abundant evidence, look around, smell the air,
engage brain, consider the implications and then get someone with common sence to explain.

Childish petty ad hominem. Either take part in proper debate or be prepared to be ignored. Take your trolling to another thread if you've no real interest in this one.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 am

Dr, Sheldon,
When will you learn to understand what is written.

You ask for evidence, I give it, you cannot deny it, so make ad hoinem, strange.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:18 am

Dr, Sheldon,
You must have ad homien on your brain, I only reply in the manner requested, your inability to understand is your problem not mine.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                You must have ad homien on your brain, I only reply in the manner requested, your inability to understand is your problem not mine.

You don't seem to understand the difference between attacking an argument and personal ad hominem.

Here's a clue, opening your post with "get a life " is ad hominem. It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You seem unable to control your temper when you respond and constantly go off topic using ad hominem attacks. You've even accused me of being both gay and homophobic in the thread discussing religious persecution of gay people.

Good god man......stick to what is posted, stick to the topic at hand. Leave the childish name calling alone.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:29 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                 When will you learn to understand what is written.

                  You ask for evidence, I give it, you cannot deny it, so make ad hoinem, strange.


Every time you make an unevidenced claim and someone points this out you make the same silly retort that they can't understand your posts. Try and grasp that everyone understands perfectly they just don't agree as what you're offering doesn't constitutell proper evidence when offered as a refutation of scientific theories as well evidenced as evolution.

Similarly any claim for the supernatural cannot alude to scientific evidence as the two things are mutually exclusive.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31 am

Dr, Sheldon,
So there is not such thing as trees, animals, humans etc; alude.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:45 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                So there is not such thing as trees, animals, humans etc; alude.

What an odd truly bizarre claim to make. Why would you make such a claim? Your posts I'm afraid are becoming more and more erratic and incoherent.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
The matters I allude to, not one l but two.,

What the real matter is, you cannot understand anything other than your very narrow minded self opininated rantings.

All you can do is quote others whose opinions in most cases are not of any relevance to the matter in question.

You have no idea what supernatural means, nor what unatural means.

Before anything can be called either unatural or supernatural you have to determine what is accepted by the majority as natural.

I never alude to anything I may allude to some matters.

Before talking about ad homien, do you actually read what you write.

There is not one post you have made that does not in some way break this code in some shape or form.

You do not answer any question, all you do is give a personal biased reply including personal attacks.

So put your own house in order and we may then stop the nonsense you started.





avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:07 pm

polyglide wrote: What the real matter is, you cannot understand anything other than your very narrow minded self opininated rantings.

Odd that you hurl this accusation at every poster who dares reject your beliefs. Still as long as you're happy with your absolute belief in magic and superstition why rock the boat, though I do wonder why you bother to come here if you have no interest in the views of non-believers. I suspect you have an urge to preach to the "heathen unbelievers". How's that working out for you?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                The matters I  allude to, not one l but two.,
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Yes I miss-typed allude on my smartphone earlier, your point might be better made without these.
               
Polyglide What the real matter is, you cannot understand anything other than your very narrow minded self opininated rantings.

Polyglide You have no idea what supernatural means, nor what unatural means.

Polyglide Before anything can be called either unatural or supernatural you have to determine what is accepted by the majority as natural.

Polyglide Before talking about ad homien, do you actually read what you write.

Yes I do read what I've written, perhaps you ought to try it as your posts are not very coherent, and as I've suggested before you ought really not to deride the spelling or grammar of others, but it's your call I guess. Cool


Last edited by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Interesting read here:

http://www.oliver-marc-hartwich.com/publications/science-vs-superstition---the-case-for-a-new-scientific-enlightenment

Science vs Superstition the case for a new scientific enlightenment challenges the common belief that scientific progress in today’s world inevitably entails an element of danger or moral uncertainty. While many people seem to lack the vision of a genuinely better future, the authors of this collection of essays believe that it is time to make the case for a more positive attitude towards the future – a future that is made better through science.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:32 pm

polyglide wrote:You have no idea what supernatural means, nor what unatural means.

They're in the dictionary.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:34 pm

polyglide wrote: Before talking about ad homien, do you actually read what you write.There is not one post you have made that does not in some way break this code in some shape or form.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Not one? Really? Care to quote a few of these or is this to be another of those lies you make up and then walk away from?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Doc you're flogging a dead donkey. Polyglide is so deep into his delusion that common sense, education, knowledge, science and truth will NEVER persuade him that he is wrong. He is confident in his superstition and he isn't intelligent enough to consider anything but his belief. He doesn't understand reason or evidence.

You won't change his mind. Sorry, he is programmed and hardwired to belief. He's afraid of dying and his life meaning nothing. There's ego and ignorance in abundance and unfortunately it takes up too much space inside his head for anything else to filter through.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:38 pm

polyglide wrote: All you can do is quote others whose opinions in most cases are not of any relevance to the matter in question.

You do not answer any question, all you do is give a personal biased reply including personal attacks.

You seem to have befuddled yourself again.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm

snowyflake wrote:Doc you're flogging a dead donkey. Polyglide is so deep into his delusion that common sense, education, knowledge, science and truth will NEVER persuade him that he is wrong. He is confident in his superstition and he isn't intelligent enough to consider anything but his belief. He doesn't understand reason or evidence.

You won't change his mind. Sorry, he is programmed and hardwired to belief. He's afraid of dying and his life meaning nothing. There's ego and ignorance in abundance and unfortunately it takes up too much space inside his head for anything else to filter through.

You're right Mrs S, and I am aware of this of course, it was hopeless from the first, but as always there may be others reading who'll get something from some of the posts. Even if it's only a glimpse of the closed mind that is 100% certain of his beliefs, as he just stated in another thread. Epistemology is another concept he doesn't seem aware of. Of course I feel obliged to challenge homophobic views whenever I encounter them, even if he is completely unaware that his views are homophobic as he seems to be claiming, though I am dubious.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:52 pm

I've known polyglide to post here for years and he's always sounded like the christian soldier he pretends to be. I have nothing but contempt for this mind set. It's not intelligent or reasoned or knowledgeable. This is a mind that's been indoctrinated into delusional nonsense and he doesn't question his belief. He believes what the preachers tell him and that's good enough for him.

Saves him having to think for himself, you see?
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 pm

snowyflake wrote:I've known polyglide to post here for years and he's always sounded like the christian soldier he pretends to be. I have nothing but contempt for this mind set. It's not intelligent or reasoned or knowledgeable. This is a mind that's been indoctrinated into delusional nonsense and he doesn't question his belief. He believes what the preachers tell him and that's good enough for him.

Saves him having to think for himself, you see?

The overriding impression his posts provide is one of dismissive arrogance. Though it's clear that he gets very annoyed when people dispute his dogma with evidence. Nothing we haven't seen before of course. Not all theists are like this of course, and I don't mean to suggest they are, but when I encounter theists of this ilk, angry, aggressive, and pugnacious, I am reminded of this Christopher Hitchens quote..

"Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse."
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:03 am

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
polyglide wrote:You have no idea what supernatural means, nor what unatural means.

They're in the dictionary.

Only the first is in dictionaries.
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 am

Norm Deplume wrote:
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:

They're in the dictionary.

Only the first is in dictionaries.

True enough. I took the liberty of assuming he meant unnatural.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
Norm Deplume wrote:

Only the first is in dictionaries.

True enough. I took the liberty of assuming he meant unnatural.

I actually checked the OED, just in case it was a variant or obsolete spelling.
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am

Dr, Sheldon,


Of course I meant unnatural as even the most dosey person would realise, I did not ilude to anything else, your spelling of illude and not mine.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:13 pm

polyglide wrote:Of course I meant unnatural as even the most dosey person would realise, I did not ilude to anything else, your spelling of illude and not mine.

You illude quite a lot in my opinion.

illude, v. Now rare.

1. trans. To mock, make sport of, deride. Obs.
2. To trick, impose upon, deceive with false hopes.
2.b To cheat out of (something). Obs.
3. To evade, elude. (In quot. 1820, absol.) Obs.
   In some instances there is prob. confusion with elude.


From context, Sheldon was using "allude" in sense 3a.

allude, v.

1. trans. To play with, make game of, mock. Obs.
2. To play upon words, to refer by play of words:
2.a intr. To play upon, or make a play with (words); to pun.
2.b trans. To refer by word-play, to apply punningly.
2.c intr. To have a punning reference. Obs.
3. To refer by the play of fancy.
3.a trans. To refer (a thing) fancifully or figuratively, to compare symbolically, to (something else).
3.b intr. To have a fanciful or figurative reference, to correspond in a figure, to (something else). Obs.
4. intr. To have an oblique, covert, or indirect reference, to point as it were in passing.
5. intr. To make an indirect or passing reference, to glance at, refer indirectly to. (Often used ignorantly as = refer in its general sense.)
6. trans. To refer (a thing) as applicable, appropriate, or belonging, to (as a saying to that to which it refers, a name to its owner, a thing to its author). Obs.
7. trans. (with obj., inf., or subord. clause). To throw out by the way, to hint, suggest. Obs.


Ref: OED Second Edition on CD-ROM 4.0


avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
             

                Of course I meant unnatural as even the most dosey person would realise, I did not ilude to anything else, your spelling of illude and not mine.
               

As I said then. Though I presume you mean dozy not dosey and allude not illude. I keep telling you that focusing on my one typographical error whilst posting from a touchscreen phone is not something you ought to do, but it's your call.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:53 pm

When are these two getting married?

Just askin' (for a friend)
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11615
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:25 pm

oftenwrong wrote:When are these two getting married?

Just askin'  (for a friend)

I've already got a wife who thinks she knows everything. Razz
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 am

Dr, Sheldon,
I will start playing ball as long as you do not start throwing you bat around.

I am pleased you have, I hope, a loving wife.

They do in many ways make life enjoyable, frustrating and at times downright unpredicatable but whose is complaining?.

Regardless of what you may think I am just as happy for homosexuals who enjoy the same.

It is not any grouse I have with homosexuality as such but those who deny exactly what it is.

It matters not how when or were or because of what, those things do not change matters.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 am

Dr. Sheldon,
Sorry about the whose, I dare not go over the spelling because I often lose the whole post.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am

How you choose to subjectively define being gay is irrelevant. Medical science has already shown that it is a perfectly normal and natural variation of human sexual desires.

Your claims about the dictionary definition of homosexuality have likewise been shown to be entirely false. You haven't even bothered to respond to the dictionary definitions that were posted.

It's palpably absurd to try and claim against all the evidence that gay people are unnatural abnormal perverted deviants then compare being gay to murderers rapist the and paedophiles, to name just a few, then try and claim you have no problem with them. As you clearly do, and harbour obvious prejudice.

I've no idea what your bat ball analogy is meant to claim, but again I'm happy for everyone to read what's been written for themselves.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 am

You never did say if you told the people you claim are your gay friends that you think they are abnormal unnatural perverted deviants? Why is that?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 pm

DR, Sheldon,
I realy do think you have a deep problem of your own regarding homosexuals.

It matters not what any scientist or anyone else says, genes, blouses, shirts, etc; none alters the fact that homosexuality is not normal.

Ask one million people of all faiths etc; if they think it is normal.

It is not scientist who decide what is normal but the majority of the population.

If you have a hammer, to put it bluntly and you use it to paint, it is abnormal, abnormal means using, among other things, not using that for it's original intention.

So do not be so silly, it matters not how it comes about through genes or anything else.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 I realy do think you have a deep problem of your own regarding homosexuals.

                 It matters not what any scientist or anyone else says, genes, blouses, shirts, etc; none alters the fact that homosexuality is not normal.

                 Ask one million people of all faiths etc; if they think it is normal.

                It is not scientist who decide what is normal but the majority of the population.

                If you have a hammer, to put it bluntly and you use it to paint, it is abnormal, abnormal means using, among other things, not using that for it's original intention.

                So do not be so silly, it matters not how it comes about through genes or anything else.  

 

Hilarious as ever. Science isn't offering a subjective opinion here, it's showing evidence. I've posted and linked this fact so your denial I assume is deliberately dishonest. As for asking 1 million people.

1. You ask them since it's your claim not mine.
2. You keep claiming to know what the majority think yet ignore every request to evidence this absurdly stupid claim. We can all see why of course.
3. Your analogies are risible nonsense, and as entertaining as they are, I'm going to go with all the scientific evidence along with opinions of all the world's major health organisations including the WHO , and of course the dictionary definitions all of which let's not forget entirely refute your lie that homosexuality is defined as unnatural and abnormal.

In all your excitement you've again neglected to answer everyone as to whether you have told your gay " friends " that you think they are abnormal unnatural perverted deviants?

What can your reticence on this mean we wonder.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3125
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum