Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have listened to theists and creationists make what I view as the most absurd claims about the validity of religious doctrine and scripture. So here's a thread designed for anyone who thinks they can to show any evidence for these claims.

Of course everyone will then be entitled to comment on the veracity of what is presented and whether it has at least as much validity as scientific evidence, or indeed if it really is evidence at all.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that this thread is not just about evolution vs creationism,but seeks to uncover why anyone thinks faith based belief has as much or more validity as scientifically validated evidence.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down


Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 I realy do think you have a deep problem of your own regarding homosexuals.

                 It matters not what any scientist or anyone else says, genes, blouses, shirts, etc; none alters the fact that homosexuality is not normal.

                 Ask one million people of all faiths etc; if they think it is normal.

                It is not scientist who decide what is normal but the majority of the population.

                If you have a hammer, to put it bluntly and you use it to paint, it is abnormal, abnormal means using, among other things, not using that for it's original intention.

                So do not be so silly, it matters not how it comes about through genes or anything else.  

 

Hilarious as ever. Science isn't offering a subjective opinion here, it's showing evidence. I've posted and linked this fact so your denial I assume is deliberately dishonest. As for asking 1 million people.

1. You ask them since it's your claim not mine.
2. You keep claiming to know what the majority think yet ignore every request to evidence this absurdly stupid claim. We can all see why of course.
3. Your analogies are risible nonsense, and as entertaining as they are, I'm going to go with all the scientific evidence along with opinions of all the world's major health organisations including the WHO , and of course the dictionary definitions all of which let's not forget entirely refute your lie that homosexuality is defined as unnatural and abnormal.

In all your excitement you've again neglected to answer everyone as to whether you have told your gay " friends " that you think they are abnormal unnatural perverted deviants?

What can your reticence on this mean we wonder.

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:12 am

Dr, Sheldon,
I call my homosexual friends, Mike and David because that is their names.

Both are openly Gay and are not afraid to be called anything, why on earth should I call them perverts, if you called everyone who behaved in a perverted manner a pervert then very few would not come under that banner.

It is you who are being silly, to be kind, I could resort to stronger definitions, however, I will leave that kind of behaviour to you.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:33 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                 I call my homosexual friends, Mike and David because that is their names.
                 
                 Both are openly Gay and are not afraid to be called anything, why on earth should I call them perverts, if you called everyone who behaved in a perverted manner a pervert then very few would not come under that banner.
 
                It is you who are being silly, to be kind, I could resort to stronger definitions, however, I will leave that kind of behaviour to you.              

Stop talking about things you know nothing about. If you want to post your 'opinion' then fine but stop pretending that what you believe is in any way based on facts, evidence or even common sense.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1212
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                 I call my homosexual friends, Mike and David because that is their names.
                 
                 Both are openly Gay and are not afraid to be called anything, why on earth should I call them perverts, if you called everyone who behaved in a perverted manner a pervert then very few would not come under that banner.
 
                It is you who are being silly, to be kind, I could resort to stronger definitions, however, I will leave that kind of behaviour to you.              

So you're prepared to call them abnormal unnatural perverted deviants behind their backs, but lie to their faces and pretend they're your friends.

If that's christian morals, bigotry prejudice homophobia and hypocrisy, I'm not impressed.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:04 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,  I call my homosexual friends, Mike and David because that is their names.  

Nobody asked their names, or what names you called them by.

1. Have you told them you think they are abnormal unnatural perverted deviants?
2. If not why not? (I think we already know the answer to this one tbh)
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 am

Dr, Sheldon,
I have already stated I will not become involved in your obvious obssesive attitude towards homosexuals on another post and the same applies to this one.

As a final point, there are centres that help and assist the those obssessed with a subject etc;
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                I have already stated I will not become involved in your obvious obssesive attitude towards homosexuals on another post and the same applies to this one.

                As a final point, there are centres that help and assist the those obssessed with a subject etc;

Homosexuality and bigoted religious homophobia is the thread topic, so only a lying halfwit trying to deflect an awkward question that he didn't want to answer would try to suggest discussing it was some sort of obsession. You're fooling no one.

Is that why you're still posting in a thread that is about homosexuality and religious homophobia?

Now once again since you've ignored it again, have you told your gay friends that you think they are abnormal unnatural perverted deviants?

Yes or no.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Polyglide has suggested in another thread that he is NEVER sanctimonious or a hypocrit. I'd have to say for myself that though I don't think they're in any way my defining characteristics I'd be surprised if I hadn't been both at some time or other.

As for Polyglide I would modestly suggest he show his contributions in this thread to those people he calls his gay friends and thus solicit their opinions. It might be very edifying, and after all if he's so confident that nothing he's said about them would offend then what risk is there?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 am

Interesting quote here from D. Dennet, author philosopher and atheist. After heart surgery and extolling the virtues of science and medicine he made a comment which neatly summed up one of the main differences between religion and science.

"Do I worship modern medicine? Is science my religion? Not at all; there is no aspect of modern medicine or science that I would exempt from scrutiny"

This then is sciences greatest strength. Unlike Polyglide's 100% certainty, science is never content to be certain, it never stops rigorously looking for and at evidence, and of course it always follows where that evidence leads.

"
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 am

"There is an unfortunate hook-up between science's methodological need to find areas of ignorance in order to target research, and creationism's need to seek out areas of ignorance in order to claim victory by default. It is precisely the fact that creationism has no evidence of its own, but thrives like a weed in gaps left by scientific knowledge, that sits uneasily with science's need to identify and proclaim the very same gaps as a prelude to researching them."

Prodessor Richard Dawkins
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 pm

"Only a tiny fraction of corpses fossilize, and we are lucky to have as many intermediate fossils as we do. We could easily have no fossils at all, and still the evidence for evolution from other sources, such as molecular genetics geographical distribution would be overwhelmingly strong.

On the other hand, evolution makes the strong prediction that if a single fossil turned up in the wrong geological stratum, the theory would be blown out of the water.

When challenged to say how evolution could ever be falsified, J.B.S. Haldane famously growled: "fossilised rabbits in the Precambrian." No such anachronistic fossils have EVER been authentically found, despite discredited creationist legends of human skulls the coal Measures and human footprints interspersed with dinosaurs."

Professor Richard Dawkins
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:21 am

I read this quote from "The Portable Atheist" by Professor Richard Dawkins, and immediately thought amusingly of the posts by a certain religious apologist on here.

"Those people who leap from personal bafflement at a natural phenomenon straight to a hasty invocation of the supernatural are no better than the fools who see a conjuror bending a spoon and leapt to the conclusion that it is "paranormal."
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 am

Dr, Sheldon,
The thread asks for evidence in support of God etc;

I have taken a break just to refresh my understanding of the Old Testament.

As I have stated previously I feel it has nothing to do with what present day Christians need to do to please God.

The Old Testamnet is not as some idiots claim a load of old stories and fables.

It is a record of events many of which have been confirmed.

The heathens who point out that henious killings etc; were carried out are correct.

Let us just consider the actual circumstances.

God has given Satan the chance by all means at his disposal to turn all mankind against Him.

What Satan is not allowed to do is kill those who do not fall for his filth and low life.

God retains the right to save his faithful from any attempt by Satan to kill them.

The Old Testament shows that God did so on several occasions by whiping out the filthy heathens and their offspring.

It also shows that he never did any killing of the heathens when his people were not faced with being killed, he lead them away.

Now how can that be classed as anything but a loving God protecting the faithful?.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 am

" It is a record of events many of which have been confirmed"

Not remotely correct I'm afraid. You've made this claim repeatedly yet despite being asked by several posters to evidence some of these "events" have ignored the requests. We can only therefore draw the inevitable conclusion.

Even were any of the events to be evidence beyond anecdotal testimony this would of course not be evidence for any supernatural claims. These must be viewed in the context of the era from which they originate and the ignorant and superstitious peoples who made them.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:18 am

"Dr, Sheldon,
The thread asks for evidence in support of God etc"

Not quite, the thread asks theists why they think unevidenced and anecdotal claims have parity or in some cases actually take precidence over scientifically evidenced facts.

avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 am

"God has given Satan the chance by all means at his disposal to turn all mankind against Him. What Satan is not allowed to do is kill those who do not fall for his filth and low life. God retains the right to save his faithful from any attempt by Satan to kill them."

I see no evidence presented here, just claims. Hitchen's razor applies.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 am

Dr, Sheldon,
The real problem, as you so evidently confirm, are the ignorant people of today.

As usual you come back with nothing more than childish remarks not having understood a word that is stated.

When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit or just pulled out of a hat.

I will give you several matters that have been confirmed as having taken place in the Old Testament times but then it is difficult to get into the mind of the apparently brain dead
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:29 am

The Old Testament shows that God did so on several occasions by whiping out the filthy heathens and their offspring. It also shows that he never did any killing of the heathens when his people were not faced with being killed, he lead them away. Now how can that be classed as anything but a loving God protecting the faithful?."

Genocide, rapine, infanticide to name just three atrocities your bible claims occurred in the OT at the behest of and vindicated by your deity, are in no way acts that any sane person could assign to a "loving "being.

How does the cold blooded murder of thousands of children and babies after the sacking of a city represent the actions of loving being?

The claim is too preposterous to give any credence to. Though again it's worthy of note that your multiples claims don't provide anything like evidence in the same context that science does, which is the topic of this thread.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:31 am

"The Old Testament shows that God did so on several occasions by whiping out the filthy heathens and their offspring. It also shows that he never did any killing of the heathens when his people were not faced with being killed, he lead them away. Now how can that be classed as anything but a loving God protecting the faithful?."

Genocide, rapine, infanticide to name just three atrocities your bible claims occurred in the OT at the behest of and vindicated by your deity, are in no way acts that any sane person could assign to a "loving being."

How does the cold blooded murder of thousands of children and babies after the sacking of a city represent the actions of loving being?

The claim is too preposterous to give any credence to. Though again it's worthy of note that your multiples claims don't provide anything like evidence in the same context that science does, which is the topic of this thread.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:38 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                The real problem, as you so evidently confirm, are the ignorant people of today.

                 As usual you come back with nothing more than childish remarks not having understood a word that is stated.

                 When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit or just pulled out of a hat.

                 I will give you several matters that have been confirmed as having taken place in the Old Testament times but then it is difficult to get into the mind of the apparently brain dead

So your response yet again is a string of petty childish ad hominem.  With an unfulfilled promise to present the evidence you have failed to present thus far.

The real problem here is that you're quite clearly blinkered by blind faith. Though of course it's equally as clear you lack the intellect and education for anything approaching adult debate and discussion.

Please desist from your childish taunts as they only detract from the debate and highlight that you have nothing intelligent to say.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:50 am

Dr< Sheldon,
Just read, Walk Through The Bible by Bruce Wilkinson and Kenneth Boa.

I am not going to waste time on an individual incapable of understanding a full explanation when it is requested.

The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 am

Dr< Sheldon,
Just read, Walk Through The Bible by Bruce Wilkinson and Kenneth Boa.

I am not going to waste time on an individual incapable of understanding a full explanation when it is requested.

The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:55 am

Dr< Sheldon,
Just read, Walk Through The Bible by Bruce Wilkinson and Kenneth Boa.

I am not going to waste time on an individual incapable of understanding a full explanation when it is requested.

The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 am

Dr< Sheldon,
                 Just read, Walk Through The Bible by Bruce Wilkinson and Kenneth Boa.

                 I am not going to waste time on an individual incapable of understanding a full explanation when it is requested.

                 The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

                 Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr< Sheldon,
                 Just read, Walk Through The Bible by Bruce Wilkinson and Kenneth Boa.

                 I am not going to waste time on an individual incapable of understanding a full explanation when it is requested.

                 The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

                 Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo.

So after yet another tantrum and a string of insults your claim goes completely unevidenced. I shan't even feign surprise. As for your book why on earth would I want to read it? It's your claim not mine so I'm not doing your research for you.

The books I linked for you about evolution are all scientifically validated. You refuse to read them so why should I wade through that hokum from some overly credulous superstitious delusional author?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 pm

"Just a little encouragement and help, walk around with your eyes open and your mouth shut and consider that which you actually see and ask others for help after doing so, you may then become more aware of reality than in the present state I feel you are in, limbo."

I frankly couldn't care less how your beliefs feel about me pointing out they're unevidenced hokum. You have at least provided a valuable insight into the breathtakingly arrogant and petulant tone theists are minded to adopt when they are faced with someone they can't bully into swallowing their hokum beliefs.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:13 pm

DR, Sheldon,
Yep, deffinately needs help.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:15 pm

To recap. You've again offered nothing but Satanic fantasies hokum superstition and your usual string of petty personal insults. No attempt to address the thread topic or the post contents. I'm not really surprised mind.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 Yep, deffinately needs help.

That's just more childish ad hominem. Address the discussion and leave the petty insults alone, else everyone will be forced to conclude you have nothing of any value to add. I posted several times while you were gone try addressing one of them with something cogent that can be discussed. Instead of resorting to a blend of preaching and insult.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:49 pm

"I will give you several matters that have been confirmed as having taken place in the Old Testament times but then it is difficult to get into the mind of the apparently brain dead"

Are you likely to be presenting these any time soon? Or is hurling abuse at everyone for refusing to accept your bare claims based solely on your say so to continue to be your MO?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:01 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                The real problem, as you so evidently confirm, are the ignorant people of today.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:I never said this, I referred to the era originating biblical claims.

                 As usual you come back with nothing more than childish remarks not having understood a word that is stated.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:No I haven't at all, and as usual you give the pretence of wanting debate or discussion but throw a tantrum when anyone refutes your claims.

 When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit or just pulled out of a hat.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Scientists don't pull facts out of hats, you'd do well to grasp this if you fail to grasp anything else. Science works to eliminate such subjectivity. Religion lauds it as the best method, hence their reverence for faith, and this is precisely the point of my thread.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:08 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
The real problem, as you so evidently confirm, are the ignorant people of today.

As usual you come back with nothing more than childish remarks not having understood a word that is stated.

When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit or just pulled out of a hat.

I will give you several matters that have been confirmed as having taken place in the Old Testament times but then it is difficult to get into the mind of the apparently brain dead

Insults are an inadequate substitute for evidence. I, and no doubt others, will have our own opinions as to why you have turned to abuse.
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Norm Deplume wrote:
polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
The real problem, as you so evidently confirm, are the ignorant people of today.

As usual you come back with nothing more than childish remarks not having understood a word that is stated.

When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit or just pulled out of a hat.

I will give you several matters that have been confirmed as having taken place in the Old Testament times but then it is difficult to get into the mind of the apparently brain dead

Insults are an inadequate substitute for evidence. I, and no doubt others, will have our own opinions as to why you have turned to abuse.

I'm not sure that we can expect much more from someone who thinks rabbits lay eggs?? confused

polyglide wrote:
When you have your breakfast, do you ask if the egg producer is certain that the egg has been confirmed by a scientist as being from a bird or a rabbit
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:20 pm

polyglide wrote: The evidence is in the Bible, I could call you a fool for the negative manner in which you always reply but then that would be insulting a fool.

I shan't sink to your level of using ad hominem, but others may wonder why in a thread asking theists why they think their beliefs are as valid as scientific evidence you think claiming "because the bible says so" a compelling argument, or why on earth you expect a positive response to such a claim from an atheist?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:27 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,  I have taken a break just to refresh my understanding of the Old Testament.

You have repeatedly claimed to be uninterested in the OT as you also repeatedly claimed it was entirely irrelevant, why the change of heart? That's a loaded question btw, as I'm sure that others will also have noticed you brandished that claim when faced with awkward questions about the OT that you clearly didn't want to answer, and that now it suits you to forget this and pretend you didn't say it. Just as you did when I asked you why you'd quoted Deuteronomy to validate bigoted prejudiced remarks about gay people when you claimed you had no interest in the OT and that it was irrelevant.

It seems honesty is a subjective concept for some theists, though I'd have thought for someone who so regularly extols the ten commandment as a panacea to all ills you'd have noticed the one that forbade lying. Still there are ten of them, I mean who can remember them all..... sarcasm
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
I'm not sure that we can expect much more from someone who thinks rabbits lay eggs?? confused

Perhaps he believes in the Easter Bunny? It's no less likely than his other creeds.
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:43 pm

polyglide wrote:It also shows that he never did any killing of the heathens when his people were not faced with being killed, he lead them away.

Is that a fact. For a christian you have a very poor knowledge of the bible if I may so.

"In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, foetuses etc. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns."

Here your god is claimed to have attacked a city and killed 0.5 million. "2 Chronicles 13:15-18 New International Version (NIV) 15 and the men of Judah raised the battle cry. At the sound of their battle cry, God routed Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and Judah. 16 The Israelites fled before Judah, and God delivered them into their hands. 17 Abijah and his troops inflicted heavy losses on them, so that there were five hundred thousand casualties among Israel’s able men. 18 The Israelites were subdued on that occasion, and the people of Judah were victorious because they relied on the Lord, the God of their ancestors."

Now perhaps you can explain what the immediate threat to the Israelites was here as I don't see any? Yet the bible claims your god killed tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands of children. One wonders at the superior intellect that can reason that a child is evil and that murdering it is justified, but yet you claim "I need help". scratch

"3. God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn.
In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn."

There are more of course, many more, but given all you've offered is petty insult I think I've devoted enough time to evidencing how ludicrously false your claim is.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Norm Deplume wrote:
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
I'm not sure that we can expect much more from someone who thinks rabbits lay eggs?? confused

Perhaps he believes in the Easter Bunny? It's no less likely than his other creeds.

If he believes a deity created humans in their current form from clay, in one go and with supernatural magic, then as you say I'd venture he could believe anything. As no claim no matter how imbecilic, erroneous or downright laughable could offend such credulity.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
I am not going to call you stupid any more, it is self evident.

If all life did not originate from something, where did it come from?.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:22 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                I am not going to call you stupid any more, it is self evident. If all life did not originate from something, where did it come from?.

If you say so, I'm sure everyone has read our relative contributions and can decide for themselves. One thing is clear, your pretentious affectations to moral superiority don't stop you being nasty rude childish and petty in most of your posts. As Norm pointed out we can all see why you have to resort to hurling insults.

Who said life did not originate from something? I'm sure this is another example of your superior understanding of the English language at play. While you're here perhaps you can explain why, if as you claim, evolution has been scientifically and mathematically falsified:

1. Who falsified it and got the Nobel prize.
2. Why it hasn't been abandoned by science.
3. Why it hasn't been on the news.

Take your time, I've bullet pointed it for you.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:34 pm

DR, Sheldon,
I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.

We should just beg to differ because you quote scientists on a continual basis when it suits and ignore the scientists who have calculated odds regarding creation etc;

If you believe in science, good, but all science and not just the parts that suit.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum