Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have listened to theists and creationists make what I view as the most absurd claims about the validity of religious doctrine and scripture. So here's a thread designed for anyone who thinks they can to show any evidence for these claims.

Of course everyone will then be entitled to comment on the veracity of what is presented and whether it has at least as much validity as scientific evidence, or indeed if it really is evidence at all.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that this thread is not just about evolution vs creationism,but seeks to uncover why anyone thinks faith based belief has as much or more validity as scientifically validated evidence.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down


Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:34 pm

DR, Sheldon,
I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.

We should just beg to differ because you quote scientists on a continual basis when it suits and ignore the scientists who have calculated odds regarding creation etc;

If you believe in science, good, but all science and not just the parts that suit.

polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:45 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.We should just beg to differ because you quote scientists on a continual basis when it suits and ignore the scientists who have calculated odds regarding creation etc;

                 If you believe in science, good, but all science and not just the parts that suit.

Oh good grief how many times must you be corrected on this? Evolution makes no claims about the origins of life, none. You're trying to make a claim that no one disputes, but using as if it proves something it does not.

We don't know how life started, but that doesn't in any way justify believing erroneous creation myths from the bronze age that have been utterly refuted by evolution. Life can't have both evolved in the Darwinian sense as science claims, and have been created in one go as described in Genesis, the two claims are mutually exclusive.

I have ignored nothing, I have tried, unsuccessfully to make you understand the basic methodology of science. I have asked you repeatedly to show one single piece of published peer reviewed evidence that validates creationism, and you haven't done so. The reason is that there is none, as the very first criteria of any hypothesis or claim is that it must be falsifiable, creationism is based on supernatural causality, it is no more science or has scientific evidence than astrology or faith healing. This isn't opinion, nor is it based on faith, and it doesn't require beliefs these are simple facts. Look up falsifiability in Wikipedia I've linked it enough times.

What you're doing is described and refuted by Professor Dawkins in The Portable Atheist, you're making the erroneous assumption that the choices are limited to just two, evolution or creationism. So in the mistaken belief that evolution is disproved it somehow justifies you thinking creationism is proved. Unfortunately for your argument evolution is not disproved as you know. So humans evolved roughly 200000 years ago, they were not created in one go along with entire universe which is a staggering 14.5 billion years old. How life started remains unknown for now, but has nothing whatsoever to do with evolution which stands alone on the evidence science has discovered.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.

                 We should just beg to differ because you quote scientists on a continual basis when it suits and ignore the scientists who have calculated odds regarding creation etc;

                 If you believe in science, good, but all science and not just the parts that suit.

One can ignore pseudoscience which is just hokum dressed up as science. Kind of like religion is dressed up to look like truth.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:44 pm

snowyflake wrote:
polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.

                 We should just beg to differ because you quote scientists on a continual basis when it suits and ignore the scientists who have calculated odds regarding creation etc;

                 If you believe in science, good, but all science and not just the parts that suit.

One can ignore pseudoscience which is just hokum dressed up as science. Kind of like religion is dressed up to look like truth.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe anyone genuinely doesn't see the difference between the pseudo-science of creationist claims and genuine scientifically validated facts. What makes me even more suspicious here is that Polyglide simply ignores things he doesn't want to hear, peer review, falsification, as two examples. Note how when he presents his mathematical "refutations" of evolution and is pressed to name the scientist who has falsified evolution and won the Nobel prize and everlasting world fame he suddenly changes tack and evolution is true and he accepts it. Then when a small while has gone by he posts precisely the same erroneous claims again, and tries to twist evolution so that it doesn't destroy the creationist myth in Genesis. It all smacks of dishonesty, and the way he laughably tries to accuse others then of ignoring scientific facts, when he can't cite a single peer reviewed paper for those "facts."
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 am

It's because polyglide doesn't have the education to understand what he is missing nor does he make the effort to learn it. It's too complicated. Polyglide is Paul Davidson, repetitive droning mantras from his religious sound-bite collection.

You cannot teach polyglide anything. He knows it better because he believes god is looking out for him. Anything like truth just knocks his faith and he can't have that. His fear outweighs his reason by a giga-tonne, Doc.

He's going to heaven when he dies, Doc and he won't jeopardise that with anything like truth or reality. Smile
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:37 am

No matter how many times I see blind faith in action it always amazes me that people can be so certain that they remove all critical thinking from their thought process. Brainwashed is not too strong a word for the result.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am

I mean what sane intelligent person thinks that their own experiential evidence is more rigorous a scrutiny of the world around us than the collective hours and method of scientific research. Yet that is what Polyglide has claimed, and even registered amazement that others are too "unintelligent " to follow suit and abandon scientific rigour and critical thought in favour of assumption based on subjective personal experience.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 am

"Dear scientists, don't work on your mysteries, for We can use them. Don't squander precious ignorance by researching it away. We need those glorious gaps as a last refuge for god."

Professor Richard Dawkins
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Ivan on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am

If you're answering the most recent message on a thread, there really is no need to quote it; just answer it, please. We don't need to read a message more than once.

If you're answering a point in an earlier message, it's more pertinent to just quote the relevant sentence or two, not the whole message (or set of messages) over and over again. Thanks.


http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t391-posting-tips
avatar
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

Posts : 7044
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : West Sussex, UK

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon, I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.

None of it peer reviewed, and none of it relevant as evolution is no more about the origin of life than gravity or relativity. You're not recognising this hilariously stupid error you keep making, the question is whether it is deliberate or not? Evolution makes no claims about or any comments on the origins of life, evolution is a proven scientific fact. Creationism makes claims that are quite obviously refuted by evolution, now evolution is a scientific fact, and creationism can't even be considered by science as it cannot be falsified, and not one of it's claims has ever been peer reviewed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:58 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon, I am not going to call you stupid any more, it is self evident. If all life did not originate from something, where did it come from?.

I'm happy for everyone to read the asinine petulant nonsense you've repeatedly posted and make up their own minds about whose posts represent intelligent attempts at debate and discussion. I think it's a fair bet that someone's stupidity is very self evident and has been from the start, though I doubt you could grasp who that is, or why it is if you lived to be a thousand.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:54 pm

snowyflake wrote:It's because polyglide doesn't have the education to understand what he is missing nor does he make the effort to learn it. It's too complicated.

He breeds birds, and not once has any of them ever turned into a horse or a dog or any different species, thus he knows evolution is nonsense. I kid you not, he said so, you couldn't make it up. It's clear his confidence is mostly bravado though, as the doubt is evident in his temper tantrums and the way he all too easily resorts to insult when he realises he actually has nothing tangible to say except "I believe godditit."
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:33 am

Ah, but did he breed a bird with an elephant is the question? elephant

lol!

Polyglide CHOOSES to remain ignorant. He chooses it because it's easy and he doesn't want to tax his faith. His confidence is not bravado. It's fear. And when you realise that, you kind of feel sorry for him because he has spent his life in fear, trying to stock up rewards for a non-existent paradise when he dies. I think (despite Anita's vehement denials) that sticking to a faith like a fly to flypaper and ignoring reality is based on the fear of death, not being. But believers believe by remaining faithful they will live forever and that is comforting to believers.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 am

I might be minded to feel sorry for him if his posts weren't so arrogant and if he didn't constantly resort to petty childish ad hominem. Though after reading them for this long I'll admit that he clearly doesn't understand the difference between deriding an argument or claim, and making ad hominem remarks, anymore than he understands the difference between enpirically testable evidence that has been peer reviewed by the best experts in the field, and personal subjective opinion that makes unevidenced claims about supernatural causation that is based solely on experiential "evidence" and is of course not falsifiable.

I think scientifically illiterate sums up his claims about science, evolution and creationism quite accurately.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

It's gone all quiet on the Western front, Doc. Where is everyone?
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Maybe he's been rapture'd? Or perhaps he's been messing with his  Ouija board and came to grief at the hands of some demon? Or maybe he's re-read some his appalling posts and petty insults and is too ashamed to venture back yet lacks the integrity to apologise?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Ivan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:-
I'm happy for everyone to read the asinine petulant nonsense ........ and make up their own minds about whose posts represent intelligent attempts at debate and discussion.
That sounds like a good idea. Enough said. thumbsup
avatar
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

Posts : 7044
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : West Sussex, UK

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 am

Dr, Sheldon,
Wrong again.

I have been working out just how anyone can be so ignorant as to what is said and what others think is implied.

You mock the fact regarding evil spirits and yet I wager you are not willing to use the Quija board.

I would never be so stupid having seen what effect it has had on many who have.

You say you want proof, try it and see.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon, Wrong again.  I have been working out just how anyone can be so ignorant as to what is said and what others think is implied. You mock the fact regarding evil spirits and yet I wager you are not willing to use the Quija board. I would never be so stupid having seen what effect it has had on many who have. You say you want proof, try it and see.  

I have no interest in indulging ignorant puerile superstitions with or without a wooden board. I believe I made this clear already. If you want to delude yourself in this way that's your affair. Now can you address the thread topic and my posts? Or are you claiming you have empirical evidence that something supernatural exists? If so please link the peer reviewed publications and I'll be happy to read them, otherwise these childish claims are no more compelling than the claims of witch doctors or the average village shaman.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon, Wrong again. I have been working out just how anyone can be so ignorant as to what is said and what others think is implied.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Not "others" just you. Nor am I alone as these threads are littered with posters trying to decipher your subjective delusional semi literate rants. Though I'm sure it's all their fault, and that your sagacity is beyond question. sarcasm

You mock the fact regarding evil spirits
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Nope, it would need to be a fact first, and it's nothing of the sort. It's a puerile delusion. All very sad in the 21st century, but doubly so in anyone who has received anything passing as an education.

and yet I wager you are not willing to use the Quija board.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Not much of a bet as I have already told you how risible that nonsense is, a parlour game for dull witted and the overly credulous.

I would never be so stupid having seen what effect it has had on many who have.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:I don't wish to be overly disputatious about your own claims as to how stupid you are prepared to be, but the evidence of your posts suggests you may be grossly underestimating your ability here. Not to worry though as your irrational fear is borne of ignorance and superstition, wood holds no magical powers I can assure you.

You say you want proof, try it and see.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Ah you still can't grasp how this works or where the burden of proof lies can you? It's your claim you evidence it, in the mean time I'll dismiss it out of hand along with all your other ludicrous and unevidenced claims, as per Hitchen's razor. I believe I mentioned Hicthen's razor before, but I'll quote it again for you as I know how conveniently short your memory is when it suits.

"Hitchens's razor is an epistemological razor which asserts that the burden of proof in a debate (the onus) lies with whoever makes the (greater) claim; if this burden is not then met, the claim is unfounded and its opponents do not need to argue against it. It is named, echoing Occam's razor, for the journalist and writer Christopher Hitchens, who, in 2003, formulated it thus: "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:43 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                Wrong again.

                 I have been working out just how anyone can be so ignorant as to what is said and what others think is implied.

                You mock the fact regarding evil spirits and yet I wager you are not willing to use the Quija board.

                I would never be so stupid having seen what effect it has had on many who have.

                You say you want proof, try it and see.  


I am not bothered about using a ouija board. I haven't done since I was a kid but they are no more malevolent than any other board game. They have NO effect on anything. Anything that you think you've seen is in your own head and not as a result of someone messing around with a plank of wood. Really, I'm astonished at how superstitious you are. Your religious belief is bad enough but ouija boards?? Seriously??

Do you avoid stepping on cracks and putting your shoes on the table or walking under ladders as well? What about breaking mirrors? Black cats? Are you filled with dread if you do any of these things as well? These are serious questions because I'd like to know where you draw the line on your superstition? At what point do you say oh that's superstitious twaddle and that isn't? When it's a highly organised institution that costs billions of pounds and many others subscribe to it or do you have other criteria to differentiate your superstitions?
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

As you rightly point out this latest bizarre claim just illustrates the gullible superstitious nature that theism thrives on. After all if someone can believe in talking snakes, invisible demons and humans coming back from the dead a week or more after their demise, then why wouldn't they believe a piece of wood could have magical supernatural properties.

The irony of course is the same people scoffing at the evidence that supports evolution because they've not witnessed it with their own eyes. Where do you start with such blinkered dogmatism.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
You live in a dream world.

You ask for proof I have told you how to obtain it, try it and see.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by snowyflake on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 pm

What effect has a ouija board had on anyone? Have you actually seen the use of a ouija board and then witnessed any after affects? And if you have done both these things what was the outcome?

I'm interested.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,  You live in a dream world.

Well I'm not the one who believes in ghosts and demons, and it's you not me who claims a wooden board has magical properties. So I'm prepared to let others judge which one of us is more likely to live in a dream world. Now since the absurdly bizarre claims are yours it is for you to evidence them, I'm not going to waste my time trying evidence your silly fantasies for you, that's not how it works. I believe this has been explained enough times for you understand it now, with or without  the "expertise" in debating you claimed to possess. The thread title was quite specific I feel, and if you think bizarre un-evidenced claims about absurd demon fantasies is a reasonable way to challenge scientific empiricism then I think that clearly speaks for itself, as does you accusing others of living in a dream world. All very ironic...

polyglide wrote: wrote:"You ask for proof I have told you how to obtain it, try it and see."

Wood does not have magical properties, but by all means feel free to provide evidence that proves otherwise. Don't however expect me to indulge your puerile fantasies. This tripe is no different to the stupid nonsense of voodoo, or faith healing, more guff for the dimwitted and overly credulous.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 pm

DR, Sheldon,
A complete opt out.

What on earth has wood got to do with anything?.

What a waste of an education when one receiving it is totally lacking common sense.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

polyglide wrote:
What on earth has wood got to do with anything?.


What's your ouija board made of?
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:40 am

Norm Deplume,
Wrong again.

There is no way on earth I would have anything to do with a ouija board choose what it is made of.

However, I have seen what can happen to those daft enough to indulge in contacting the spirit world.

There are millions of evil spirits just waiting for an invite into our world, this being the only way they can enter.

The result of those who have indulged can be seen in all the evil that is becoming more and more evident daily.

You do not believe it, then prove I am wrong by trying it.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 A complete opt out.

                 What on earth has wood got to do with anything?.

                 What a waste of an education when one receiving it is totally lacking common sense.

Do you own a plastic ouije board? They're usually made from wood. What have I opted out of?

I couldn't agree more about your education. To be honest this point is reinforced every time you post, and completely ignore all points and questions put to you, again.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16 pm

You don't grasp that by making a claim you have the onus of evidencing it. Even though this has been explained to you repeatedly.

It's your claim that a wooden board has magical supernatural properties, so you're must prove it. Simply claiming repeatedly to have seen magic yourself won't do. Any more than a lunatic being 100% convinced he's Napoleon Boneparte is proper evidence that he is.

It's astonishingly sad that a grown man should need that explained at all.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:18 pm

FYI

I suspect you meant  cop out, not opt out.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Norm Deplume on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 pm

polyglide wrote:Norm Deplume,
Wrong again.
There is no way on earth I would have anything to do with a ouija board choose what it is made of.


Anything short of a complete primary-school explanation is lost on you.

You asked what wood had to do with the subject.
I answered, obviously too obliquely, with a question that referenced a ouija board which are frequently made of wood - an allusion that Sheldon was making and you missed whether by design or lack of perception.

I hope this makes thing less opaque for you.
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm

If I wanted to be unkind I'd be minded to suggest nothing short of a prodigious blow to his head from a wooden ouije board would clarify matters.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:09 pm

I meant ouija board of course.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 pm

polyglide wrote: There are millions of evil spirits just waiting for an invite into our world, this being the only way they can enter.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:How do you claim to know how many there are, have you been there and counted? Also how do you claim to know this is the only way they can enter our world, have you conducted scientific research into this, or are you just making up another bizarre un-evidenced claim?

The result of those who have indulged can be seen in all the evil that is becoming more and more evident daily.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Can you show us some compelling evidence that there is markedly more evil now than there was yesterday, and more yesterday than the day before, etc etc? Also you seem to be claiming that the level of evil was constant before ouija boards were created, is that what you're claiming? If so why has your god allowed evil spirits to exist at all, and why doesn't he stop them entering our world, please show evidence for your claims.

There are online ouija boards you know. There is one here http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/ouija/.

I typed in evil spirits and followed the instruction and guess what happened?

F**k all that's what, quelle surprise.

You do not believe it, then prove I am wrong by trying it.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:We've covered this enough times, it's stupid for you to make the same mistakes over and over, especially one as simple as not knowing where the burden of proof lies in an argument or discussion. Especially when you claimed to be an expert debater.

I'll try a hypothetical example, lets assume I "know" there are mermaids in the ocean, and that I've seen them. Now is it reasonable to insist that my claim is proved unless you scour every inch of every ocean to prove me wrong? You don't believe in mermaids I take it?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:15 am

Dr, Sheldon,
Just log on to Evil Spirits and you will find numerous explanations.

Just wait and see, evil spirits work in many different ways and I feel you may be very useful to them, time will tell.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Polyglide, Hitchen's razor applies again as you offer nothing but bate claims.

Please have the courtesy to address my post content or else I'll not address yours.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:30 am

Dr, Sheldon,
Please explain that which you want me to reply to.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 am

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                Please explain that which you want me to reply to.

Scroll up the page and answer each point and question posted that you've thus far ignored.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by polyglide on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 am

DR, Sheldon,
I feel I have answered all your questions on this topic.

To summarise, there is more evidence to support the likelyhood of a God rather than everything comming about by pure chance.

You may not agree with there being a God that I believe in but any sane person must consider all the relative facts regarding life in general and the universe in particular and feel that there must be an explanation.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon, I feel I have answered all your questions on this topic.

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,  I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.
My response to that claim which you've yet to even acknowledge:
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Oh good grief how many times must you be corrected on this? Evolution makes no claims about the origins of life, none. You're trying to make a claim that no one disputes, but using as if it proves something it does not.
On top of which you've repeated this asinine and erroneous claim, very dishonest.

polyglide wrote:  I have given you numerous references regarding the odds and scientific information regarding evolution being the source of life.
My second response which again you ingored:
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:None of it peer reviewed, and none of it relevant as evolution is no more about the origin of life than gravity or relativity. Evolution makes no claims about or any comments on the origins of life, evolution is a proven scientific fact.
You keep disingenuously agreeing it's a fact, then try to claim there's real evidence which disputes it. There is no scientific evidence that falsifies the fact of Darwinian evolution by natural selection, none. If you has a shred of integrity you'd acknowledge this, or produce the peer reviewed publication of it, the name of the Nobel prize winners, and explain why this earth shattering paradigm shifting news has gone unnoticed by the entire world's press and scientific community.

polyglide wrote: I am not going to call you stupid any more, it is self evident. If all life did not originate from something, where did it come from?.
My response and again you ignored it completely:
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:So another outing for agrumentum ad ignorantiam, and again you've yet to acknowledge that this common logical fallacy exists or that you've used it. I've even lined articles explaining it, and you started this exchange claiming you were an "expert debater". So explain how an expert debater doesn't know about argumentum ad ignorantiam, and uses it repeatedly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon, Wrong again. I have been working out just how anyone can be so ignorant as to what is said and what others think is implied. You mock the fact regarding evil spirits and yet I wager you are not willing to use the Quija board. I would never be so stupid having seen what effect it has had on many who have. You say you want proof, try it and see.
Again I responded showing your claim was a logical fallacy that a child's debating team would laugh at, you ingored it of course and just repeated your stupid claim.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Yet another use of argumentum ad ignorantiam, it seems your expertise in debating doesn't stop you being entirely ignorant of where the burden of proof lies in an argument, or what constitutes evidence.

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon, A complete opt out. What on earth has wood got to do with anything?. What a waste of an education when one receiving it is totally lacking common sense.
A truly asinine thing to say given it was abundantly obvious what was being referred to, but I did you the courtesy of responded, and surprise surprise, you ignored it completely.
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:Do you own a plastic ouije board? They're usually made from wood. What have I opted out of?
You never even acknowledged your mistake or my response, quelle surprise. That's just one page, but everything it's the same. polyglide makes bizarre unevidenced claims, the claims are challenged and either empirical evidence offered or logical arguments to refute them. Result - polyglide ignores these and hurls insults and then proceeds to make the same claim, and on and on it goes.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there any validity for religious dogma to challenge scientific empiricism, and if so what proper evidence has religion for such an assertion?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum