Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Telling lies for God

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Telling lies for God

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Creationism and ID, how much of this idiocy is simple delusion, and how much is outright mendacity? The more I have read the ravings of creationists the more I am inclined to doubt that they sincerely believe everything they are claiming. I mean that some of it is so obviously and ludicrously false, and requires denial of so many facts and so much evidence that I suspect they are deliberately lying. Further, I suspect they genuinely believe that a lie to help proselytise their chosen deity is regarded as a "good lie", and therefore not really a lie at all, but just a pragmatic approach to "fighting the good fight".

A little blunt sometimes, but this punchy article raises some interesting points about theistic debates, and the ludicrous old chestnut that "all beliefs ought to be respected". I have always maintained that what should be respected is the right to believe, not the belief itself, which in any intelligent rational society must surely be judged on the merits of its claims and evidence. Here's a taster, and a link....

"The tactics used by the creationists are identical to those used by the anti-vaccination liars, which is to stand up, tell a monstrous lie which requires a detailed technical response to show the truth, and then sit down leaving the question hanging and no time for an adequate reply. There is no difference in quality between "There are no intermediary fossils" or "There is no way that an eye can evolve" and "Vaccines are made from aborted foetuses" or "Thimerosal in vaccines causes autism". The lie is there, the spectators have heard it, and the liars rely on the fact that scientists take too long to explain the truth and are too polite to shout "That's bullshit!"

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/creationdebate5.htm

How many egregiously dishonest acts, and duplicities have theists and established religions justified in this fashion throughout human history I wonder? After all, in the pursuit of truth a lie is about as useful as a snooze button on a smoke alarm.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Re: Telling lies for God

Post by Greatest I am on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 pm

polyglide wrote:

The problem is as I have said previously, what went bang.

The originator of the theory states very clearly that he nor anyone else can say what went Bang and what went before.

I think that is healthier for a mind to think matter went Bang than to think that God went with a different sound.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
polyglide wrote:Dr. Sheldon,
                When you can get an elephant to mate with a mouse and get a Minny Mouse, then you will have proven evolution.

Good luck.

Poly.

China is working on a program to have an elephant produce a mammoth. If they succeed, is that close enough to your mouse elephant scenario or will you just changer your requirement when and if that happens?

Regards
DL

Polygide appears to have departed, though not in the biblical sense one hopes. However his delusional grasp of biology and evolution in particular was as woefully ill informed as only creationists can be. Scientists have selectively mated fruit flies and produces entirely new species, you'll notice creatards don't make the claim that species change can't be directly observed anymore precisely because this scientific advancement has destroyed yet another gap they inserted their superstitious claims into.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Greatest I am on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:28 am

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Polygide appears to have departed, though not in the biblical sense one hopes. However his delusional grasp of biology and evolution in particular was as woefully ill informed as only creationists can be.
Why am I not surprised.

I see more and more apologists leaving boards due to the pressure involved in either producing inane replies that tend to deflect from things they cannot speak to in terms of science, but even worse when they cannot justify the morality that their Gods are showing.

The better their opponent, and in you there is talent and intelligence, the faster the theists tend to run from.

Soon, we will run out of theists in the West as the numbers who are foolish enough to want to associate themselves with people who believe myths are reality is dwindling daily.

In a sense, this makes it harder for me to push Gnostic Christianity as a viable belief system that seeks knowledge, wisdom and the best rules and laws to live life by, instead of some imaginary sky daddy.

Oh well, that is better than us advocating religions that only seem to be able to grow by violence instead of good deeds.

You and I and like minded apologists might have to start looking for Muslim sites that do not ban us the moment we try to discuss things in an intelligent way with them. My ban record is already high with such sites. Oh well.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum