Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

UK driving licence - new rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UK driving licence - new rules

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 pm

British drivers currently need to produce a plastic card and the paper "counterpart" when required, e.g. by an Official, or when renting a car.  Some people still carry the old original paper licence, but the Law changes on June 8th. dispensing with the paper counterpart altogether.

Life suddenly becomes more complicated for people renting a car on holiday abroad, as they may be refused without a (typically "civil service") requirement to contact DVLA before you go, with your Licence number and National Insurance number whereupon you will be given a magic code that enables the Rental Company to check your driving record for Penalties.  The code expires after 72 hours.

Still on the subject of DVLA, you no longer get a reminder when your tax disc runs out.  That could produce some red faces if people don't remember to renew on time.  Put it in your diary.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-change-could-mean-car-chaos-this-summer/ar-BBiEPsi
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Re: UK driving licence - new rules

Post by boatlady on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Ouch! Didn't realise I won't get a reminder to renew my tax disc - for many years this has been the only thing that kept me legal

(gets out diary)
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm wrong on that. Reminders on Form V11 will continue to be sent out when the tax falls due. I was confused by having just read about people who had not received a reminder because it had been "lost in the post" or they had moved to a different address.

So it's anyway perhaps a good idea to have it in your diary.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Don't try this at home

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 am

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/watch/range-rover-smashes-jaguar-for-blocking-the-road/vi-BBtpLSH

(Not even if Sandbanks is where you live)
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum