Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults

+20
Bellatori
Heretic
bobby
boatlady
Dan Fante
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Tosh
stuart torr
snowyflake
trevorw2539
polyglide
Charlatan
gurthbruins
GreatNPowerfulOz
whitbyforklift
Shirina
oftenwrong
Ivan
astra
witchfinder
24 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults - Page 9 Empty Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults

Post by witchfinder Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

French satirical magazine "Charlie Hebdo" has published pictures of the prophet Mohamed as a cartoon character in its latest issue, the magazine also stated that the prophet was the editor in chief for that particular issue, the result is the petrol bombing and destruction of the magazines offices in Paris.

It is strictly forbidden in Islam for anyone to make or create images of the prophet Mohamed, to do so is regarded by Muslims to be disrespectful and is an insult, therefore one has to ask - why ?, why did this magazine feel it necessary to knowingly and deliberately upset a section of French society. ?

Personaly I am a none believer, I am from a Christian background, and though I will frequently criticise Islam, the Catholic Church, Jewish hard liners and American bible bashers, I would not go so far as to purposely disrespect or poke fun at someone elses beliefs, this is called tolerance.

I am glad we live in the United Kingdom where the preaching or publishing or promotion of religious hatred and intolerance is forbiden by law - in some nations you are allowed to preach hatred and hide behind the wall called "freedom of speech", in some nations there is no hiding place.

We have seen the reactions of some Muslims before when this has happened, it begs the question - was this magazine looking for publicity knowing they would attract attention, perhaps their sales figures were down.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults - Page 9 Empty Re: Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

clearly you did not read OWs post Polyglide,read and think again.

stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults - Page 9 Empty Re: Freedom of expression vs. freedom from insults

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:09 pm

polyglide wrote:Stu,
    boatlady's statement could only be taken as wrong in any way if it implied being a Jew was in any way objectional.

It is like saying I would not vote for the Joe Brown the baker.

The post was a quote, not a statement by Boatlady. The quote was clearly pejorative so the adjective could only be meant as an added derogation.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

I am inclined to think that what makes the word a derogation in this case is that the term 'Jew' seems to be being co-opted as part of the reason for not voting for Miliband - as if Jewishness places him in that class of people that one does not vote for - which does rather take us into the realms of racism or anti-Semitism perhaps.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:51 pm

That is what I said boatlady getting racist.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Fri May 01, 2015 8:30 am

It is strictly forbidden in Islam for anyone to make or create images of the prophet Mohamed, to do so is regarded by Muslims to be disrespectful and is an insult, therefore one has to ask - why ?

Perhaps the magazine feel that a person's beliefs do not entitle them to dictate to others what they can say, do, or express?

I most certainly think that a person has a right to believe as they wish, but this right doesn't grant them ANY more rights.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Fri May 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Certainly not to dictate to others what they can and cannot do or say or believe, I believe that is what you are saying is it not Sheldon?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue May 05, 2015 11:36 am

Boatlady,
Anyone has the right to not vote for anyone for any reason they feel fit, if the sanctimonious want to put their own interpretation on matters then it proves they are the predudiced ones.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 am

sorry about the spelling.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm not sure you've understood Boatlady's post at all. No one here has posted anything remotely prejudiced either. The quote in Boatlady's post was a pejorative comment on a politician who also happened to be Jewish, in using the word "Jew" in the sentence it was clearly meant as a slur.

Perhaps you feel this is not the case, but you have offered no explanation so who knows why you're contradicted and insulting other posters without justification and in such a punctilious fashion?
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 am

boatlady,
I would not worry about anyone who does not know the difference between a quote and a statement.

Statement : a definate and clear expression in either speach or writing.

Quote : recite from book or play etc; etc;
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Fri May 08, 2015 12:03 pm

polyglide wrote:boatlady,
           I would not worry about anyone who does not know the difference between a quote and a statement.

Only you claimed it was boatlady's statement, when in fact it was a quote. So why are offering everyone else definitions they're already aware of?

As pointless as you're pretence of addressing your posts to boatlady when it's quite obvious they're not. Wink
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Post by polyglide Today at 12:34 pm
boatlady,  I would not worry about anyone who does not know the difference between a quote and a statement.

by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm
The post was a quote, not a statement by Boatlady. The quote was clearly pejorative so the adjective could only be meant as an added derogation.

Post by polyglide on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57 am
Stu,
boatlady's statement could only be taken as wrong in any way if it implied being a Jew was in any way objectional. It is like saying I would not vote for the Joe Brown the baker.

That sunshine, is a slam dunk, when will you ever learn to show a little humility when you make a mistake instead of pretentious obfuscation.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Another interesting quote that seemed to me to answer this idea in the opening title that ideas or beliefs should be free from insults, comes from Arthur Schopenhaur:

"What a bad conscience religion must have is to be judged by the fact that it is forbidden under pain of such severe punishment to mock it"

For me this encapsulates my own thoughts very well, that any idea or beliefs that need to forbid criticism with threats of violence, whether it be physical or metaphysical, are in deep trouble, as they're either demonstrably weak or palpably absurd, or perhaps both.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:53 pm

How can Freedom of Speech ever exclude a Listener's freedom to feel insulted by what is being said?

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 pm

oftenwrong wrote:How can Freedom of Speech ever exclude a Listener's freedom to feel insulted by what is being said?

It can't, but then anyone who shares any idea or belief runs the risk that people will respond with something they may be offended by. As Stephen Fry said, so fkn what?

They can be offended if they want, but taking offence doesn't entitle the offended to anything. Unless they have been defamed of course.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9