Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What next for the Tory Party?

+7
Phil Hornby
sickchip
oftenwrong
Claudine
Penderyn
boatlady
astradt1
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What next for the Tory Party? Empty What next for the Tory Party?

Post by astradt1 Sun May 29, 2016 6:05 pm

We have had a thread for a long time called 'What now for the Labour Party......

Given the infighting and knife sharpening which seems to be gathering pace with in the Tory Party it is perhaps time for us to look at what we think, without gloating, the direction the Tory party is likely to take, who is likely to be the party leader.

There have been reports of 50 Tory MP being ready to sign the letter starting a leadership challenge no matter the outcome of the referendum but it would seem that some of the 'leading ' Brexiter's are in favour of Cameron staying as leader up to the next election even if in the event of an out vote!..........I wonder why that would be the case, are they looking for a scapegoat in case the negotiations on Britain relationship with the EU after an exit vote does not achieve what they have been promising or could it be that leading candidates feel they need time to let the party forget the divisions, back stabbing and hatred which has surfaced over the past couple of months?......

Could the Brexiter's really stay in the cabinet in the event of a remain vote as if nothing had happened or would they be seen as hypocrites given that they would have to support policies which they have been openly criticising as recently as today's 'open letter' about the plans for limiting immigration being unachievable even though they supported them during the past two general election..........
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

What next for the Tory Party? Empty Re: What next for the Tory Party?

Post by boatlady Sun May 29, 2016 8:10 pm

This feels like one of those questions of QI - if I say anything at all the lights may start flashing and the claxon will sound - and because I have a strong self-destructive streak I am going to comment.

I suspect the reports of David Cameron's demise may be premature - the man is slimy enough to survive whatever night of the long knives the other Tories have in mind, whatever the outcome of the referendum.

In relation to the front runners hoping to step into his shoes - Gove and Johnson appear to have bet their political careers on an 'out' vote - hopefully if the vote is 'in' they will have at least temporarily consigned themselves to the back benches.
The other two hopefuls, May and Osborne, seem to have made so very many public blunders as to have lost all credibility - besides being both rather cold and unsympathetic characters.

I believe the Mirror is predicting a General Election later this year - what larks!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Mon May 30, 2016 1:12 pm

The best bet is that the Brexiteer cranks lose and then force an election out of spite, in which case they should be wiped out. If Cameron wins, the tory careerists will rally to him and the nutters will split. Either way, things look good for Britain, though there may be an economic disaster first, unfortunately.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudine Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Could the Brexiter's really stay in the cabinet in the event of a remain vote as if nothing had happened

I don't think that Cameron would dare touch Boris due to his 'popularity' but I do think that Priti Patel would be toast because of her direct personal insults about him. I say good to that. That woman has sunk to McVey levels.
Claudine
Claudine

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:14 pm

More female Tory cannon fodder, you think?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

A blockbuster movie might well emerge from the first Cabinet meeting to be held after the referendum poll. There'll be whoopee-cushions on some people's chairs.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:48 am

Having pulled the rug from under everything EU, the Tory party is in no hurry to precipitate the actual defection process. However the selection of a new Prime Minister has already begun. Nominations close tomorrow, and the "winner" will take over on September 9th.

Needless to say, the Great Unwashed British public will have no say in the matter.

Though that realisation might have been in the minds of at least some of them last Thursday when they voted for "a plague on both your houses".

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:33 am

....the decision to promise/allow a referendum was ill judged and plain wrong. The implications, and complexities of leaving the EU are too difficult for the majority of the electorate to fully appreciate/understand - which is why the campaigns (on both sides) became reduced to a series of soundbites, lies, half truths, and centred on peoples baser feelings/fears over immigration and the money we give to the EU. We elect our mp's to make these decisions.

It may have been an electoral promise that was kept; but it was one that should never have been made.

A rant:

The Tories like to peddle the myth that 'Labour mess things up and the Tories come in and fix things'..............well well well - just look at the great big mess the Tories have plunged us into: £ down, prices to rise, economy in jeopardy, more austerity, the union likely to split (bye Scotland ....and possibly N.Ireland), and the polarisation of opinion between London and the rest of England/Wales, increase in racist abuse/attack, etc etc. Good job Mr. Cameron - well done!!??

Unfortunately we have no effective opposition to attack them, or debate these issues.....Labour are too busy making themselves a unelectable laughing stock. Idiocy!

The only message we're getting is the empty platitude of 'we have got the result, we must now all pull together to make the best of it' - yeah! right! great plan!

Now will we get Boris?

Boris the buffoon has previously been in posts where he can bluster, bluff, blag, and bumble his way through, blending belligerence and bogus bonhomie to blind the bovine herds to his baser intentions/instincts. However, with the prospect of real power and serious responsibility looming, he's beginning to look like a rabbit in the headlights.

.....Boris will lead on a wing and a prayer - if elected.

sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:46 am

Claudine,

Do you think Boris is popular outside of the London bubble?

I think he's disliked, and regarded as an idiot, anywhere north of the establishment/media/parliamentary bubble in London; but if they think he's popular let them carry on and elect him as leader - because if Labour weren't acting like the kamikaze party I think they could defeat a Boris led Tory party.

Unfortunately the PLP are busy making sure the Labour party are an unelectable laughing stock.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Will Boris still be allowed to write his articles for the Telegraph during the Tory Party leadership campaign?...

Will he do two articles, one for a Boris leadership and one against, like he did before opting to lead the out campaign?.....
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:59 pm

sickchip wrote:Claudine,

Do you think Boris is popular outside of the London bubble?

I think he's disliked, and regarded as an idiot, anywhere north of the establishment/media/parliamentary bubble in London; but if they think he's popular let them carry on and elect him as leader - because if Labour weren't acting like the kamikaze party I think they could defeat a Boris led Tory party.

Unfortunately the PLP are busy making sure the Labour party are an unelectable laughing stock.
Everything suggests he is not at all popular in the London Bubble either. Let's get the traitors deselected as early as possible and wipe him out, if the tories are dishonest enough to choose him.!
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Penderyn

....by the London bubble, I mean the press/media/mps........you know - all those who are out of touch with real people. They seem to assume and have the impression that we, the public, like Boris.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudine Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 pm

I think that Londoners have had their fill of Boris, sickship. I think he paralysed London in a miasma of Boris island, Boris bikes, Boris cable cars and Boris infidelity. He is without a doubt a dangerous individual with chameleon-like qualities, a man of no significant depth.

I can't stand to look at him
Claudine
Claudine

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Oh Claudine,

...but look at his lovely tufty blond hair Laughing
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:04 am

Oh well! Teresa May will be the next Tory leader - that much seems clear already.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:45 am

What happened to Stephen Crabb and the lovely Mr *unt?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:55 am

Mr. Crabb: homosexuality can be cured.....well I think we can count him out.

Mr. unt with a C: he can't be serious.

Seriously, it would have been great for a 'united' Labour party (around Corbyn) if either of those two, Gove, or Boris became Tory leader, because they are all vote losers.

Unfortunately the PLP have made a complete dogs dinner of Labour's chances......so it's a Tory government under Teresa May for the long term foreseeable future.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:05 am

Sadly I envisage the Tories winning the next election, with Labour and UKIP battling neck and neck for 2nd place.

Well done PLP.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am

Everything is about to become more expensive, so there may be some small comfort in knowing that the Tories can hardly blame "the previous Labour administration" for that with any expectation of being believed.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:42 pm

ow,

The Labour party don't need the Tories, or anybody else, blaming them any more.

The Labour party, as they are demonstrating, are very capable of blaming themselves.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 pm

At last it can be revealed..... the moment that the young Gove met Sarah Vine...

What next for the Tory Party? 13509088_818377868297388_2275473588520252241_n

" Cor - I wouldn't mind getting  her in my Cabinet..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Sarah Vine takes to Facebook to ask for help from Experts to advise her husband on what to do about Brexit!!!!!.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jk-rowling-sarah-vine-daily-mail-eu-referendum_uk_5770c6f6e4b08d2c56396ee4
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Everything is about to become more expensive, so there may be some small comfort in knowing that the Tories can hardly blame "the previous Labour administration" for that with any expectation of being believed.

Why not? Very Happy
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:At last it can be revealed..... the moment that the young Gove met Sarah Vine...

What next for the Tory Party? 13509088_818377868297388_2275473588520252241_n

" Cor - I wouldn't mind getting  her in my Cabinet..."

Now I know why I'm not left wing. You keep all the clean linen in the cupboard.

Me? I'd have her in my bed. Pruning the roses of course, what did you think I meant!!!!!!!!!.
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Everything is about to become more expensive, so there may be some small comfort in knowing that the Tories can hardly blame "the previous Labour administration" for that with any expectation of being believed.

....they could just blame Corbyn, instead of the whole Labour party..... Wink
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Is Gove stand for election as PM just a plot by BJ?.........Gove has said that he doesn't have the skills need to be PM and that he doesn't want the job.............There seems to have been a major push to stop BJ from becoming PM, at this point.........They even sent a letter asking Cameron to stay on as PM during the up coming sh!t storm which will be the negotiations over the Great British Union's exit from the European Union, Scotland threatening a new independence referendum, Northern Ireland being thrown into turmoil, having the only land border with the EU......
Why would BJ want to be PM at this time with risk of going down in history as the man who Broke Britain.....

Much better to put up someone who doesn't want the job and will not be accepted due to being seen as a 'traitor' to BJ and not being up to the job then getting someone like T May to take on the job become and hated for failing to keep the Union together and not getting the terms demanded by those who voted leave.

Just before the next election there will be a mending of bridges between Gove and BJ followed by a challenge to T May for her failures....

Low and Behold BJ become PM just as originally planned when Cameron announced he would be stepping down just before the 2020 election............
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:16 pm

From what I can gather, Murdoch is ordering about his puppets more openly than he usually is. Don't expect anyone to mention it, however. The hacks and yes-men know who's master.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 am

Sarah Vine (Mrs Michael Gove) once wrote that she thought Ed Miliband was "weird". confused

What next for the Tory Party? Gove_210
Source: Twitter
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Well, she certainly has enough experience of the unearthly...and of a creeper on the Vine... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by methought Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:03 am

The Tories are very good at putting Party before personal advancement and it is pretty clear that May is the one person with both consistency and humour in her CV, so Boris just has to accept that buffoonery is not a quality for world leadership. By the way did you hear the rumour that Trump tweeted an image of Clinton with the 6 pointed star and then deleted it? Corbyn has to be very quick to stamp out any overt anti-Semitism in Labour as the Head of BBC news - James Harding - is a former editor of the Jewish Chronicle. Corbyn's desire to prosecute war crimes is very laudable however it might be better after the successful conclusion of WWIII if anyone survives to see to it. All the alliances are embodied in the Middle East Envoy's person as he has brokered all the deals, and all the factions have been armed ready to go, many of them with British manufactured armaments. Israel, Saudi and Russia are doing their own deals and including Turkey. And we still depend on Saudi oil which is totally essential to our survival at this time. May is the leader the country needs to see the people through - unless you can suggest a better choice? The cards have been dealt, the bets are on. Europe is going to need a European army and it can't let Greece go to the wall, but debt has set everyone against each other. Happy days.....
methought
methought

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:59 am

Theresa May is awful. She’s a cruel woman who deported a dying man in the middle of the night, who caused another deportation to be delayed by a legal challenge because she couldn’t work out how many days there are in three months, and who is very good at letting others take the blame for her failings, as Brodie Clark can testify. Then there was her lie to a Tory conference that an asylum seeker had been allowed to stay in the UK because he had a pet cat. A trawl through this old thread will reveal more details of her incompetence and nastiness:-

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t128-should-cabinet-exit-controls-be-relaxed-so-that-theresa-may-can-be-kicked-out

So Theresa May is awful, but the other contenders are worse. After his antics as defence secretary forced him to resign, the sleazebag Liam Fox should never be allowed near ministerial office again. Stephen Crabb, who has only been in the cabinet since IDS quit, has associated with religious cranks who think that homosexuality can be ‘cured’. The clueless nonentity Andrea Leadsom, who sees herself as the new Thatcher, supported Brexit even though she had said previously that it would lead to “economic disaster”. If I post what I think of that odious little freak Michael Gove, I risk getting into trouble for bringing this forum into disrepute. Theresa May hates him as well, so I guess that’s something in her favour.

Most, maybe all, of those candidates for the Tory leadership have said that they won’t call a general election if they become PM. There is no constitutional need to do so, because the role of PM goes to whoever can command a majority in the House of Commons, and since 1924 that’s always been the leader of the largest party. However, some of us have long memories, and when Labour changed PMs in 1976 and 2007 there were continual taunts from the Tories about our ‘unelected’ PM. No doubt that was why they promised in 2010 that any change of PM would be followed by a general election within six months. Like most Tory promises, expect that one to be broken.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7627671/General-Election-2010-Tories-propose-six-month-limit-for-unelected-PMs.html
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Andrea Leadsom, who sees herself as the new Thatcher, supported Brexit even though she had said previously that it would lead to “economic disaster”.

Mrs Leadsom is being endorsed as candidate for PM by the illustrious IDS. 'nuff said.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Andrea Leadsom is also being backed by Boris Johnson this week. Last week he said that she wasn't up to being chancellor of the exchequer...... No

Meanwhile, here's a little CV for Theresa May, the 'best' candidate for PM:-

What next for the Tory Party? Theres10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmWRziVW8AANA4F.jpg
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:28 pm

She does seem a lovely person - even more attractive than Mrs Thatcher
rofl lol!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:48 pm

The next PM will be the outcome of a choice between people we have never heard of and others whom we wish we had never come across.

Apart from that, and the Labour turmoil, the future looks rosy ... Rolling Eyes
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:24 pm

Day-by-day the obvious shortcomings of the FPTP electoral system make reform ever more imperative.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:15 pm

So now we know.  The successor to Tomato-face as PM will be either Thatcher Mk.II or Thatcher Mk.IIA.

That's a choice?

What next for the Tory Party? Confused-caterpillar-smiley-emoticon
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:18 pm

nice caterpillar
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 pm

What next for the Tory Party? Leadso11

Source: 'Private Eye' (reproduced on Twitter)
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:55 am

We can always depend on the Eye.

With those credentials , she is surely a 'must' for the Tory faithful...and it would be such a comfort to the rest of us that it is her fair and unerring hand on the nuclear button...  Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next