Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

How do you respond to Jehovah’s Witnesses when they knock on your door?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you respond to Jehovah’s Witnesses when they knock on your door?

Post by Ivan on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I hate unsolicited callers knocking on my door. In fact, I’ve got to the stage where I don’t usually bother to see who is there, partly because I’m probably doing something (my computer is upstairs), and partly because the answer will almost certainly be ‘no’ to whoever it is. If I want new windows, or my gutters cleaned, or my trees pruned, I’ll arrange it as and when I’m ready. I don’t need a Tory to knock on my door and say “do you usually vote for us?”, since I never have and never will. And in the extremely unlikely event that I develop an urge to become religious, I’ll sort that out for myself too.

Most of us have answered a knock on the door, only to find one or two smiling, well-dressed people (one of whom is usually carrying a briefcase) waiting to tell us all about the gospel according to the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Why do they do it? It’s because they’re convinced that Jehovah (God to you and I) requires it of them in order to follow in Jesus’ footsteps. They believe their salvation is dependent on this activity. Yet I don’t think there's any biblical precedent showing Christ in his day going to every door to preach the gospel.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that at any time, Jehovah will unleash his vengeance against wicked mankind through the prophesied ‘Battle of Armageddon’ that will destroy earthly governments and establish the 1,000-year reign of Jesus Christ upon the earth. They are told that when this battle occurs, Jehovah will reward or condemn them based upon their faithfulness to perform consistent field service and their loyalty to the beliefs and practices of the Watchtower Society.

The Watchtower Society dates from 1881 and was founded in Pennsylvania, opening its first overseas branch in Britain in 1900. It used to predict dates for when Armageddon would happen, and as a result the lives of many Jehovah’s Witnesses were ruined because they sold their homes, gave up the pursuit of higher education, marriage and children in order to prepare for the end. The last time it gave a precise prediction was for 1975, and you can read more about why they chose that year here:-
http://www.4jehovah.org/did-jehovahs-witness-predict-the-end-of-the-world-in-1975/

While Jehovah’s Witnesses today still hold to the idea that Jehovah will destroy this world at any time, they no longer attach a date to the belief, but work to maintain a perpetual state of readiness for the ‘end’ to come at any time.

So how do we respond to them? They claim to be Christians, but their true authority is the Watchtower Society, which demands full devotion to its teachings and policies. Their denial of key Christian beliefs, such as the Trinity and the cross, has caused many Christian churches to denounce them as a heretical movement.

Personally, I don’t want to engage with them. Like many if not most religious people, they think they’ve discovered ‘the truth’ and nothing will change their minds. You could challenge them on their crackpot dismissal of evolution, despite all the scientific evidence which confirms it. You could discuss their opposition to blood transfusions, or why they don’t celebrate birthdays and Christmas. What they will try to do is to get you to let them come and discuss the Bible (their own distorted version, published of course by the Watchtower Society) with you. You can just ask them politely to go away, but in my experience they’ll be back within a few weeks or months. Or maybe you could just not answer the door if you’re not expecting anyone?

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.” (Andre Gide)
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you respond to Jehovah’s Witnesses when they knock on your door?

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:20 pm

On the other hand I have pleasure in discussing the Bible with them - even if they do not accept what I tell them. I find it amusing when they get tied in knots. The easiest way to do that is to take them beyond what they have been taught and compare ancient history with stories from the Bible. They know little of the Bible beyond their own teachings. They often have to go back and ask their teachers for answers - which are often shown to be wrong - if you know your background to the Bible stories, the historic and cultural background. It's not hard to confuse the normal JW at your door.

I think I'm now personna non grata as far as they are concerned. When they call at my door they simply leave their latest leaflet and 'haven't got time to stop and talk today'. Well, not to me anyway.

trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

You win the gold medal - I tried that tactic for years, but clearly lack your gift - now I just either ignore the bell (difficult with dogs in the house) or put on my coat and (untruthfully) say I'm just off out for an important appointment
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Our dog (singular) is actually an efficient solution to the problem.  He evaluates everything by scent of course, and thrusts an inquisitive snout firmly into the crutch of any caller, unless restrained.  I usually forget to hold on to him if it's the typical earnest couple clutching Bibles. Or twits sporting a blue or yellow rosette.

Most of them beat a rapid, and red-faced retreat.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:23 pm

boatlady wrote:You win the gold medal - I tried that tactic for years, but clearly lack your gift - now I just either ignore the bell (difficult with dogs in the house) or put on my coat and (untruthfully) say I'm just off out for an important appointment

You've clearly got it wrong. When they arrive explain that you were about to pray the Dhuhr (noon prayer), or the Asr (Afternoon prayer)- and they're welcome to join in your prayer towards Mecca. You have 2 spare prayer mats. Wink
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm

lol!
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 pm

If this young lady comes knocking at your door, listen to her. The voice of an angel. www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMj9h57nnU

And if you've got room, let these in: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8jhd68JZU

Cor Glanaethwy from Wales on Youtube.

That's music for a quiet evening in, and a glass of bubbly.
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum