Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does any religion matter at all today?

+30
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Jsmythe
mmhmm
skwalker1964
KnarkyBadger
boatlady
methought
Tosh
Adele Carlyon
Blamhappy
tlttf
sickchip
trevorw2539
polyglide
snowyflake
astradt1
weltschmerz
Phil Hornby
whitbyforklift
witchfinder
keenobserver1
LWS
bobby
blueturando
Penderyn
Ivan
astra
oftenwrong
Shirina
Stox 16
34 posters

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 10 Empty Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by Stox 16 Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I will be interested to read peoples thoughts on this question. Does any Religion matter at all today?

I cannot see that any religious church's or anything religious even matters today at all. The only true religion I have ever come across is, Money, Political Power, Land, and greed. all the things we are told they are against, this goes for all religions too in my view.

in fact all the faiths I have come across use all of the tools of money, political power, Land and greed to re-force there religious views on there followers. i have never come across any religion that does not use at least one of this tools to enforce there religious views on the people they are said to be looking after.

I have read over the years all the religious books i can find, and have yet too be moved by any of them. some have very good stories that have something in them for every reader. but their it ends for me. maybe someone can explain why any of this is so important today? as i cannot find anything within the books that states this is very important today or in the past. I myself have come to believe that religion has more to do with the thought of death or dying and the human need to believe that life goes on after death.

However, when we was all born we did not feel pain or come into being with some religious thought in our heads or a book in our hands did we? in fact we had know idea about religion at all? so only find out what religion we are when someone tells us that this is our religion? yet you would think we would all know this already if there was a god? So we only find out what our religion is after birth? or do you believe you know what you religion was before birth? (i did not) if someone told me i was a follower of Islam, I would of said OK at five years old. in fact they could of given me any religion and i would of said fine.

So religion seems to me, religion only matters a get deal more the older you get? so I am told, well if so its failing on me badly. so anyway, it matter more as you get closer to death then? so is this more to do with our human need for life to go on somehow? as we find it hard to believe that life comes to an end and we go into darkness of no mans land? just like before we was born?

I was told at about 6 years old by my mother that this was my faith. but in total truth my mother could of said any faith was my religion and i would of gone along with what she said. To me that was it, Its that simple then. i did not then think about anything religious till i was in the Army in standing in a street in the middle of green line in a war zone in the Lebanon. with both Christains killing, Muslims Killing, Catholic Maronite's Killing, Druze faith Killing, Jewish killing. at first wondering why they was all doing this? not for religion or faith but power and using religion to justify there actions. I remember thinking. just suppose these people had been given a different religion by there mothers. they would instead of killing as a Maronite gunman they would of been killing Maronite's as a Druze gunman?

So your religion is picked for you in my view and some even change it too. yet you would think if you know your god at your death. you should know who you god is before birth? but we do not. So does any of this really matter any more?

well i well be interrested to read your thought on this. its not about any one religion but all of them.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 10 Empty Re: Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:55 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 10 Empty Re: Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by polyglide Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 am

Anyone who doubts the existance of God and that Jesus died for us should just ask in a humble and with an open mind to be enlightened and if the act is genuine, believe me you will be delighted with the result.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 am

However, I cannot duplicate that strategy to prove to you that I know Jesus, Y’shua bar Yosef, Y’shua Moshiach

I belive that's more or less what I said.
It won't be necessary for you to show me your Bible - I've already said I'm willing to accept your word that you have it
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Anyone who doubts the existance of God and that Jesus died for us should just ask in a humble and with an open mind to be enlightened and if the act is genuine, believe me you will be delighted with the result.

Been there, done that, polyglide. I was anything but delighted and the falseness of the whole charade has put me off religion, faith and belief for all time. It's a pretense and self-delusion for the ultimate desire is to live forever because death is so scary to most people. Death is a part of the life cycle. Being dead is no more than not being. We weren't before we were born and we won't be after we are dead. We won't know any different. Once your brain dies, you die.

That's why it's so important to live your life as fully, happily and generously as you can while you are alive instead of trying to live just for the next life.

Last edited by snowyflake on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : took the 's' off of 'brain' because most of us have only one...if that.)
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:31 pm

as to 'believing' what is written therein, I'm not sure I have the time to carry out all the intellectual processes involved in even beginning to consider that proposition.

As I said Rock, I think that's pretty well what I said.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:33 pm

No, it was me said that - do keep up!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:23 pm

That's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it, polyglide. If you want it to happen, then chances are good you'll believe it has happened. Woohoo, I'm enlightened! And any little nerve in your body misfiring - giving an itch or a tingle - and you're like, "Yes! I feel it, oh Lord! I believe!" Suddenly everything that happens is a result of God guiding your steps. Good or bad, it doesn't matter. Nothing actually changed. Not one thing. You're now simply viewing the same old world and the same old events within that world through the lens of religion. Well, okay - if you think you need religion to get you through the day, more power to you. But that doesn't mean there's a God or the universe was created or that the Bible is true or that Christianity is the only factual religion. All it means is that you shifted your perspective. Yeah, I know because I've been there. I remember thanking God for the stupidest, most trivial things. Because I wanted to. Yet I want a lot of things, and rarely do I get any of them.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : correction of omission)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 pm

I think you said that you lack the skills to convince me of your viewpoint re Jesus and religion - I think i said I don't even have the time or the energy to begin to consider the assertions you make on that topic - very similar positions, if you ask me.
And we've already established, to the point of absolute boredom, that I don't require you to prove to me that you own a copy of the Bible.
If it comes to that, I've got my own copy somewhere - i don't need to see yours.
And now this has got really silly, so why don't we just stop?
You can have the last word if you want, but i think this bit of the discussion is over.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

So sad boatlady, one of the biggest problems today is that people have not the time to consider the consequences of their actions.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 pm

So sad boatlady, one of the biggest problems today is that people have not the time to consider the consequences of their actions.

What sort of consquences? How their actions affect other people? Or whether their actions displease a supernatural entity?
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:16 pm

How can you mention displeasing a supernatural entity? you do not believe in one.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:20 pm

How can you mention displeasing a supernatural entity? you do not believe in one.

Nope, but a lot of people do, and I was curious if your motivation for morality was emapthy or fear of displeasing a god. Perhaps both? And if so, which one weighs more heavily on your mind when you do commit a wrong against a fellow human being?
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Participating in a religious ritual is hardly akin to riding/learning to ride a bike. The first requires total belief in a ritual based on unprovable faith. The second can be taught to anybody.

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 pm

That’s how I know Jesus. I’ve participated.

For some of us, "participating in Jesus" is akin to participating in a ball game and finding yourself the only one on the field.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I've participated, Rock. I suppose I wasn't a true believer eh? I suppose that my 'faith' wasn't 'strong' enough? I suppose that I wasn't 'repentant' enough? When I stepped back from belief, after many years of struggling to come to terms with it, and I was really honest with myself I knew it was just fantasy, self delusion and wishful thinking plain and simple.

You fight awfully hard for God and Jesus, Rock. A person who fights that hard is generally struggling with doubt. I know. You study very hard to shore up your belief system and you grab and hang onto anything that supports your belief even in spite of contradictory evidence.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm

http://www.goenglish.com/ProtestTooMuch.asp

To "protest too much" is to insist so strongly about something not being true that people begin to suspect maybe it is true.
Example: "You do like that girl, don't you?" Answer: "No! I don't! Not at all! Why do you think so?" Reply: "You protest too much." #"Protest too much" comes from Hamlet by William Shakespeare; the Queen speaking: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (Note: people do not usually use the word "methinks" when they are speaking English today.) To "protest too much" is to insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what you are saying.
Example: "Do you think he is telling the truth?" Answer: "I think he protests too much."

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 am

This may be beginning to get a bit farcical
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Yep.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Surely all "discussions" concerning Religion are inherently farcical. Either a Believer believes or they don't. Arguing about the degree of personal belief is like arguing about just how "dead" a corpse may be.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

Nope, a believer has the task of showing the unbeliever how much better it is to find God and enjoy what he has to offer,.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

You participated in a sham.

It wasn't any more a sham than your belief, Rock.

Nope, a believer has the task of showing the unbeliever how much better it is to find God and enjoy what he has to offer,

Really? You haven't showed it to me, polyglide. What you have showed me is your judgemental attitude to those of us who do not believe as you do and your unkindness. You don't sound like you're enjoying what God has to offer in the least so why should I believe that your way is better? I have a very good life in which I am happy, relatively healthy, able to help others and love my family and friends. What more could I possibly want?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:40 pm

You don't sound like you're enjoying what God has to offer

Amen, sistah!

Let's face it, why would I want to worship God if doing so means I have to view the world as nothing but a cesspool of warfare, violence, crime, disease, and famine - all with the assurance that an impending nuclear apocalypse is just around the corner?

I have a lot of problems in my life, but those pale in significance to an overall worldview that rots the mind, soul, and body from the inside out. I see no joy in you, polyglide, just a belief that today's world is a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" (to quote a famous Jedi Knight). Why would I want to travel down that path, a path where the scenery is always bleak and the only thing worth a damn is the day Jesus comes back and starts the torture and theological fascism and slavery? Uh uh, no thanks.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Of course it was.

Not any more a sham than yours is.

You were baptized into a lie, and I was not.

How do you know? If only God can prove his existence or non-existence then none of us can be sure of his existence or his non-existence because he hasn't proved it to us. I'm including you in this because you cannot definitively state that God exists any more than I can state that he doesn't. So how do you know?

Additionally, since only omniscient YHVH Elohim can prove his nonexistence, any assertion that presumes the author’s ability to authoritatively state YHVH Elohim’s nonexistence presumes that author’s omniscience. If you are in fact omniscient, you haven’t told me yet.

Are you omniscient? I didn't think so. You've buried yourself with your own silly argument here, Rock. Unless you yourself are omniscient you cannot make this claim about God's existence either.

The weight of evidence for God's non-existence is weighted far more heavily than the weight of evidence for his existence. You've got one flimsy book written by desert nomads of questionable morals and there's 400 years of science to dispute anything the bible has thrown up on the carpet.

There is no rationality to belief. It's just wishful thinking and delusion. You also have the disadvantage of your belief being shored up by your neighbours, church, family, friends and your country. Validation by numbers. And where you were born determines your religion as much as anything else.

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:47 pm

YHVH Elohim has not proved his existence to us; he has proven his existence to me.

I meant the universal 'us' not you and me. How did he prove his existence to you? And how do you know that what you 'know' isn't mental illness or delusion?
Y’shua hung on a cross, abandoned by all but a few.

Did he? Prove it.

From Newton through now, physics has slowly approached Genesis 1:1 in its understanding of the origin of everything. Today, 11 March 2013, physics asserts that the “who-what-when-where” of the origin of everything precisely mirrors Genesis 1:1.

Nonsense. The only assertions physics makes is what and when.

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth"

Uh...no he didn't. In the beginning, the universe expanded from a singularity about 14 billion years ago....the earth came much later almost 10 billion years later so not quite at the beginning. The statement is a falsehood which is not surprising since the entire bible is full of falsehoods, misrepresentations, wishful thinking and downright evil. But, I admit, there are some 'nice' things in it, like loving your neighbour. You can pick through the muck in the bible and pluck out a gem now and then but you still get crap on your hands.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:33 am

Big Bang asserts that, at the beginning, everything comes into existence, which precisely mirrors Genesis 1:1.

No it doesn't. The Bible offers vague, ambiguous, and supernatural explanations of how the universe came to be. In fact, the creation account in the Bible is so simplistic that just about any scientific explanation could be claimed to mirror Genesis 1:1.

In other words, even more confirmation bias so often exhibited by believers in God.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:43 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 am

You bias against Big Bang, though puzzling, is noted.

My bias is against Genesis 1:1 which merely states: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Who: Incomprehensible, immeasurable power.

Requiring a "who" for the Big Bang is merely begging the question. Science has yet to require a "who" in its explanation, and until (if) the day arrives when scientists are in agreement that a "who" was necessary, then I'll get behind the "who" explanation.

What: exploded everything (the university) into existence from nothing.

This would be fine except for the "from nothing" part. The existence of "nothing" is required for the creationist argument that something cannot come from nothing therefore God. Except that there is no proof that a state of nothingness ever existed or is even possible. Once again, until "nothing" is proven to exist, declaring it so is a presupposition necessary to make the creationist argument work.

When: “the singularity”, the beginning, at the beginning, at the point of beginning, at the beginning point of everything, when everything begins.

The Biblical account of "when" is vague and non-specific. In fact, it is the existence of this non-specificity that allows Young Earth Creationism to remain a credible idea among some believers. There is no year given, no way to ascertain how long ago this "beginning" took place. It also forces one to ask: Just what was God doing before "the beginning?" If one goes only by the Bible, one is led to believe that micromanaging humans is the only reason God even exists since you never read about God doing anything else. Was God simply floating around in nothingness for an infinite number of years before deciding it was time to create the universe?

Where: “the singularity”, the beginning, at the beginning, at the point of beginning, at the beginning point of everything, where everything begins.

Genesis says nothing about where "the beginning" actually began, and, in fact, if the universe arose out of "nothing," then there could be no coordinates in right ascention and declination where one can point to and say, "that's where it all started." It would thus be impossible to even begin the universe within a state of true nothingness because there would be no "here" in which to place the singularity.

Why: Not addressed by Big Bang.

Genesis does not discuss the "why" of it, either. However, believers of all sorts would like to believe that the entire universe was created for humanity to live in and serve God. There's nothing worse than an arrogant slave ... and yet ...

How: Addressed by Big Bang data set.

The "how" is addressed by science but not by Genesis. This is one more example of the vague, ambiguous nature of one singular, simple, religious sentence trying to sum up entire libraries of data concerning the scientific explanation. The simplistic nature of Genesis 1:1 allows the believer to substitute any and all scientific explanations for a religious explanation - while science has to be exacting and specific, religion does not. Thus "God created" is not a real explanation for "how" because it doesn't not explain how God created the universe. We're just supposed to accept that he did without any further explanation or proof.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

You may self-prove it by examining the accounts of Y’shua’s crucifixion, burial, and resurrection as recorded by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Making assertions as to the truth of something and then asserting that you can't prove it because the experience is personal is a chickens way out of the debate, Rock. The Fab Four of the Gospels are no more historical fact than Harry Potter is historical fact. There may be nano-snippets of truth in there, Pontius Pilate and Herod were real people with historical corroboration for their existence, but the bible is embellished and padded with fantasy.

I examined, Rock. I had personal experience of Jesus and God. You cannot deny my personal experience and call it a sham since you do not know what my experience was. I believed in God. I believed in Jesus and that he died for our sins. I gave myself over to Jesus. I studied the bible. I was as 'born-again' as you are.

My departure from belief came with education. Critical analysis and critical thought (however haphazard it is) of what life is, what is real.

I leave you to your belief and your methods of propping up your belief with science but you are deluding yourself if you think that the bible mirrors science in any instance. Virgins do not give birth, the dead do not come back to life, snakes do not talk except in the bible, a book of myth and legend but not fact.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 am

Christians do not scrutinise the bible with the same critical analysis as they do to discredit scientific data. If the science doesn't mirror the bible it is discredited, if they can make science mirror the bible they shout Halleluia See, it's written right here no matter how vague and tenuous the connection.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 am

She who denies Genesis 1:1 denies the who, what, when, and where of Big Bang.

Yes. I deny the who and the where because Genesis 1:1 is not scientific proof or evidence of anything more than a creation myth.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next