Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Will Huhne get off?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will Huhne get off?

Post by kentdougal on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 am

First topic message reminder :

What's the betting that after months of soul searching it will be announced by the CPS this morning at 9 oclock no action will be taken. It's pretty obvious that if he were to be nicked no explanation or press conference is need since it will all come out in court.

Last edited by kentdougal on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
kentdougal

Back to top Go down

Re: Will Huhne get off?

Post by Ivan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

bobby wrote:-
The likelihood is they will be on film, maybe even getting in or out of the car. Let's face it, airports are probably the most filmed places in the country and Stansted will be no exception.
If a camera showed Huhne driving the car at Stansted Airport, it isn’t proof that he was driving it on the M11. There is the possibility that passenger and driver changed places before passing the camera which clocked the car speeding. As trevor said, there isn’t likely to be much more camera evidence after all these years. However, if it can be proved that Mrs Huhne was in London at the time, then it’s game over for her ex-husband – and for her. The irony is that Huhne didn’t learn anything from the incident, as he was later caught speeding and lost his licence anyway!

Christine Hamilton escaped justice and then called it “a victory for motorists”, when it was just a victory for lawbreakers. We may have to beg to differ on this point, bobby. If you are the registered owner of a vehicle, you should be liable for what it does, unless it’s stolen or used without your consent. Your kids used your car and were caught speeding and took the rap themselves, which was right and proper. However, if you let someone use your vehicle, they commit an offence in it and don’t own up, you ought either to take the blame yourself or drop them in it. Why should a crime committed in your car, and detected, go unpunished, while other poor sods get clobbered for the same offence? The only reason the law is “inadequate”, as you put it, is because it doesn’t stipulate that the registered owner of a car is ultimately responsible for what it does on the road.

astra. I agree, perverting the course of justice is far more serious than a speeding offence. As Huhne is a millionaire who owns eight houses, when he lost his licence he could no doubt have afforded a chauffeur. Or he could have done what Boris Johnson likes to do and run up enormous taxi fares at the taxpayers’ expense.

They’ve had those traffic averaging speed cameras in France for many years. Another way they can catch you is if you travel too quickly between the toll booths on French motorways!

Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:39 pm

ivan, This is the bit I can not understand. "you ought either to take the blame yourself". I can't see how you can take blame, where there is none, What if you are in a hire car, or a company car or even a car driven by you as part of the Motability scheme, none would be registered to you, but you would have a perfectly legal right to be driving it, and the registered owner a perfect right to have you drive their vehicle, so if you commited a speeding offence, why should the registered owner be penalised.

Regarding Huhne changing drivers between getting in his car at Stanstead airport and somewhere on the M11, he would have had to change seats either on the approach to the motorway about 2 to 3 miles, or illegaly stop on the motorway to facilitate the changeover.

This is what a Jury is for, they will have to decide which of the Huhne's is telling the truth.

I must be honest had it been a normal person like you or I, I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt, but as its a stinking Lib-Dem Traitor, I sincerely do hope he's found guilty even if he isn't.

I think this is one of them Laws that rely on the honesty of people to work, and of course not every one is that honest
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 pm

"They’ve had those traffic averaging speed cameras in France for many years. Another way they can catch you is if you travel too quickly between the toll booths on French motorways!"

I see them every time I drive through France on my way to Italy, Until quite recently the French didn't bother chasing up all Foreign speedsters, but recently they have made an arrangement with the British Government that will enable them to do so .fortunitely the French Autoroutes are much better than our Motorways and have plenty of stopping places and regular Service area's, they dont as we do, show sighns telling us to take a break, they actually provide a place for stopping, haveing something to eat, have a coffee and many have showers.

Unfortunitely the French are also learning that money can be made from the Gatzo type speed camera, ans we are seeing more of them as well.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Rent a car on the Continent and you will have agreed to pay all traffic fines incurred between the dates you had it.

That stops most of the arguments, but can give a nasty poke to your Credit Card several months later.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

astra. I agree, perverting the course of justice is far more serious than a speeding offence.

I am in no way condoning the alleged actions of Huhne. I just leave this for your thoughts.

Just recently, near here, the driver of an expensive car decided that he would break the speed limit. At well over 100 mph he lost control of the car, hit another motorist and killed the driver.

How would you equate one with the other. Both actions would be illegal. Both actions were by conscious decision of the individual. One action affected two people and if proven, they will be punished. The other, so called lesser offence, affected a whole family, depriving them of a loved one. Punishment was meted out. Surely severity should be judged by circumstances and the consequences/possible consequences of the action. Is this not recognised in, say, the various speed limits, according to conditions. Or at the other extreme, the difference between manslaughter and murder.

These are my thoughts. You will have your own. I would be interested to hear them.

trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 pm

The law is an ass the way it is portrayed in the courts!

In Yorkshire - not far from Witchfinder's little acre, a drunk "businessman" decided to drive home. On the way, he flattened and killed a grandmother and her 2 daughters DOA.

The sentence he got was derisable, nay DISRESPECTFUL to the deceased and their relatives!!

but you or I pinch a pheasant or a rabbit from the laird's manor and we hang by the thumbs for ages.
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Huhne's usual facial expression tends to indicate that he has been hung up by his thumbs recently - or maybe by something even more eye-watering... :affraid:

(telegraph.co.uk)
" Can you ease the pain but leave the swelling...?"
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Oh! Oh! Sir!, That suits your Sir!
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:11 pm

astra wrote:Oh! Oh! Sir!, That suits your Sir!

It maybe suits him astra but I doubt if he is enjoying it.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:34 pm

There's not much fun in being a millionaire if it doesn't allow you to please yourself what you do.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 pm

oftenwrong wrote:There's not much fun in being a millionaire if it doesn't allow you to please yourself what you do.

Been a Millionaire OW is great as long as you stay within the law, the problem comes when they start to think I can get away with murder because I have oodles of money.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Will Huhne get off?

Post by Phil Hornby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Anyone looking forward to the by-election in Huhne's constituency? I imagine Clegg isn't... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by KnarkyBadger on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Eastleigh is turning into a cursed seat!
KnarkyBadger

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Huhne's mother was the one-time voice of The Speaking Clock.

His time is certainly up... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

(www.telegraph.co.uk)

" You went off the rails, Chris"

" Yes - the points were against me..."
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Anyone looking forward to the by-election in Huhne's constituency? I imagine Clegg isn't..
Neither am I. The most likely outcome is that the Tories will regain the seat, and what sort of message does that send out? The Lib Dem vote is likely to be decimated, but you can be sure that the blue rinsers and gin-soaked colonels will hold their noses and vote Tory just as they always do, and just as they probably would if Cameron announced compulsory euthanasia for all over-70s.
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

What I found incredulous was Nick Clegg trying to tell us that Huhne has done the right thing by admitting guilt. Its just a shame the filthy lying bastard couldn't demonstrate such honesty when committing the crime. Because he held such a high position of trust, the git should now have some Porridge.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 pm

How typical of Huhne to behave like a Lib Dem even when in court - he said one thing last Monday and then said the opposite today. Rolling Eyes

I’ve no time for Huhne, but I suspect there’s more to this than meets the eye. Huhne was reckoned to be the only person with the ability to lead the Lib Dems when they finally decide to boot out Clegg. He also stood up very robustly to the Tories when they behaved in a duplicitous manner (as is their wont) over the AV referendum. Were the knives out for him? After all, his offence happened ten years ago.

Clegg says that he feels "saddened and shocked" by Huhne's behaviour? I wonder how many students feel like that about Clegg, after having their tuition fees trebled? I wonder how hospital patients feel after Clegg said in January 2010 that “every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to keep our NHS safe"?

If only Huhne had thought of the defence that Christine Hamilton used successfully when caught speeding – she “couldn’t remember” whether her or Neil was driving at the time!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202833/Christine-Hamilton-cleared-speeding.html#axzz2Jwf3Hm7b
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 am

Ivan wrote:
Anyone looking forward to the by-election in Huhne's constituency? I imagine Clegg isn't..
Neither am I. The most likely outcome is that the Tories will regain the seat, and what sort of message does that send out? The Lib Dem vote is likely to be decimated, but you can be sure that the blue rinsers and gin-soaked colonels will hold their noses and vote Tory just as they always do, and just as they probably would if Cameron announced compulsory euthanasia for all over-70s.

Ivan have never seen you be wrong about things but on this one my fingers are crossed and everything else in the hope that Eastleigh give the Labour party the benefit of the doubt , I would rather see an Independent win the seat, do not forget Hampshire is not all blue rinse brigade and if the cuts have came through by the time of the by-election God only knows what will happen but my fingers would be crossed that it will be A LABOUR WIN
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 am

Eastleigh – 2010 general election
Huhne (Lib Dem) 24,966
Hutchings (Con) 21,102
Barraclough (Lab) 5,153
Finch (UKIP) 1,933
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am

The benefit of the by-election is the opportunity it presents for openly-displayed bad blood between the Tories and LibDems and for the chance to see what level of impact a Labour candidate can make in a seat where they have no real chance. The performance of UKIP against a Tory candidate wil also have some watching closely.
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 am

KnarkyBadger wrote:Eastleigh is turning into a cursed seat!

You may think that, but I couldn't possibly say so. Though there was a whiff of "undercover" about Milligan's decease.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/8/newsid_2538000/2538165.stm

As in the implausible explanations given for the suicide of poor David Kelly, or the total absence of any explanation for the "suitcase" death of a GCHQ spook seconded to MI5.

Ask no questions - hear no lies.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Neither am I. The most likely outcome is that the Tories will regain the seat, and what sort of message does that send out? The Lib Dem vote is likely to be decimated, but you can be sure that the blue rinsers and gin-soaked colonels will hold their noses and vote Tory just as they always do, and just as they probably would if Cameron announced compulsory euthanasia for all over-70s

Huhne (Lib Dem) 24,966
Hutchings (Con) 21,102
Barraclough (Lab) 5,153
Finch (UKIP) 1,933

21,000 Blue rinsers and Gin soaked colonels versus 5,000 uneducated chavs?

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Of course you had too carry on that sort of NASTINESS blue just goes to prove a tiger never changes its spots.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Just lowering myself to that blue rinse, gin guzzling colonel level Redflag. All us Tories are like that, don't you know Razz

My prediction

Tories to win but with a reduced number of votes. UKIP a close 2nd, Labour 3rd with an increased number of votes and the Lib Dems vote could well collapse

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 pm

The demographic of Eastleigh residents has rotated through 180° in the past fifty years. Originally the home of Southern Railway's Engine manufacture and repair Works, and until recently the site of Ford Transit van production, the town is now more than anything else a dormitory suburb of Southampton, also (just) within the magic "1-hour commute" of London. The old gritty image has indeed given way to a more upmarket atmosphere, but blue-rinses and retired military Officers are not readily apparent.

Someone appears to be confusing it with St. Helier.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm

So, nobody is up for a 'LibDem hold' then...? Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Huhne (Lib Dem) 24,966
Hutchings (Con) 21,102
Barraclough (Lab) 5,153
Finch (UKIP) 1,933

I think it will be a very interesting election, and what makes it so is that the Lib-Dems have an almost 5000 majority over the Tories. The Tory vote will most certainly will have fewer votes as like it or not the people of Britain are turning from them, the Lib-Dem vote should all but vanish, Labour will benefit largely by the collapsed Lib-Dem vote, leaving UKIP to pick up the Tory remnants. We mustn’t lose sight of where many of th3ee last elections Lib-Dem vote came from, many where from those who turned away from Labour after the Banking Crisis after months of brain washing from the Tory tame media dogs, Now and whenever the Election is, those that wavered will have and will be seeing just how false any Tory is.

In the Last General Election, many voted Lib-Dem as an anti vote for the Tories, so I doubt those people will vote for either of the Coalition Parties, Ukip shouldn’t attract to many Lib-Dems as the rank and file Lib-Dem is not far enough to the right and see UKIP for what they are Euro Sceptic Tories. If the Lib-Dem voters continue as many have already, the may well put their cross beside the Labour Candidate.

I expect it to have a low turn out, and the Tories to use every dirty trick in the book, and with the help of Lord Ashcroft invent some new shit to throw Labours way.

As has already been said, it will be very interesting.

Finally, it’s a massive jump from Lib-Dem to Conservative, but only a small jump from Lib-Dem to Labour and there could be up to 24000 Lib-Dems looking to jump.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm

"...the Tories to use every dirty trick in the book..."

In what I felt was a very interesting post, this comment was the least surprising. It is as certain to be true as suggesting that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:35 pm

In coalition, the first thing which the Tory constituent learned was that Lib-Dems take it up the arse without complaining.

1. Electoral Reform booted firmly out of the Stadium.
2. University Fees increased despite promises to the contrary.
3. NHS dismemberment commenced without manifesto commitment
4. Tax breaks for the Richest, but no "Mansion Tax".
5. Lords Reform unsupported.

.... and still they sit alongside Tory Ministers on the Government Front Bench.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am

oftenwrong wrote:In coalition, the first thing which the Tory constituent learned was that Lib-Dems take it up the arse without complaining.

1. Electoral Reform booted firmly out of the Stadium.
2. University Fees increased despite promises to the contrary.
3. NHS dismemberment commenced without manifesto commitment
4. Tax breaks for the Richest, but no "Mansion Tax".
5. Lords Reform unsupported.

.... and still they sit alongside Tory Ministers on the Government Front Bench.

OW I tend to think they enjoy getting it up there arse must be a fetish of there's otherwise they would have been out of there like a shot out of a cannon, but must admit the by-election will be fun to watch because the Tory true colours will come out full force they want that seat and as you know the Tories think they where born to rule.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

No Liberal protests?
Can we assume thay have already given up the unequal struggle?
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 pm

A lot of people think that the Liberal Democrats have no convictions. Well, Chris Huhne has proved them wrong!
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Ivan wrote:A lot of people think that the Liberal Democrats have no convictions. Well, Chris Huhne has proved them wrong!

When will Huhne get his CONVICTION ? I suppose him and his ex-wife will get their sentence at the same time Ivan.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Will Huhne get off? Now kentdougal has his answer.

Anyone who has read some of my posts will know what I think of the Lib Dems, the quislings who threw most of their principles out of the window in return for a sniff of power. They’ve enabled the most right-wing government in modern times to asset-strip the nation and demonise the poor, sick and disabled.

I also have no time for Chris Huhne. He’s an arrogant man who, even after collecting nine points on his driving licence, continued to act as if he’s above the law (usually a Tory trait) and carried on speeding. When he got caught again, his wife took his points to save him from being banned from driving for a while. That was ten years ago.

I wouldn’t mind betting that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of couples up and down the land who have shared speeding points and therefore “perverted the course of justice”. In fact, several years ago, a neighbour of mine told me casually during a chat in the street that he and his wife had done just that. Apparently, on a journey to work that he's repeated for many years, the speed limit was suddenly reduced on one section of road and he didn’t notice. He was clocked for speeding on his way to work and clocked again on his way home. So his wife shared the points, and from the way he told me about it so casually, I’m sure he didn’t feel he’d done anything terribly wrong.

Huhne could have learned something from Neil and Christine Hamilton, a Tory couple (though Neil has since joined UKIP) who were involved in another speeding case in 2003. They “couldn’t remember” which one of them was driving at the time their car was clocked, so both escaped. They went to court and their defence was: "We would have been committing an offence if we had guessed who was driving because there was a 50% chance it would have been false." That doesn’t make sense to me; somebody was driving the car and speeding, and in such circumstances the registered owner of the vehicle ought to carry the can. But maybe there were some funny handshakes involved which affected the judgement?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1447758/Hamiltons-claim-victory-over-speeding-fine.html

A few years ago, a thug was given six months in jail for blinding an old lady in one eye with a pair of scissors. Such a person is a serious danger to the public and should, in my opinion, be locked up for a very long time. Prison doesn’t have a very good record for rehabilitating offenders, so I think it should be used almost exclusively to protect the public from violent people. Now Huhne and his wife, neither of whom is violent, have been jailed for longer than that thug. Taxpayers will have to fork out £800 a week for each of them to be incarcerated. Wouldn’t it have made a lot more sense to humiliate this couple with community service and hefty fines, rather than to lock them up? I said the same about the jockey Lester Piggott, and even the Tory scoundrels Archer and Aitken - isn't it better to hit them in their pockets, not ours?
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Ivan, the speeding dodge of not knowing who was driving at the time is a very well known and well used strategy. The onus is on the law to prove who was driving, and if you admit the car was speeding but are unable to remember who was driving, you are not denying anything in fact the opposite. The law states that it can only prosecute the guilty party and if the guilty party is not Known for whatever reason/excuse.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Mr and ex Mrs Huhne have got 8 months a piece for their roles in lying and cheating. What should now happen is for both to spend the sentences in the same small cell.

I have always prided myself on my sense of fair play and justice
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Wed May 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Huhne didn't get off, but he's now got out, after serving just two months of that eight-month sentence. As Eastleigh now has a new Lib Dem MP as well, I think it's time to put this thread to bed, so it is now locked.
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum