Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

A 'government of firsts'

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A 'government of firsts'

Post by astradt1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

This government seem to be a 'government of firsts' and I don't mean honors degrees.

We recently had the first NHS Hospital to be run by a private company and today it was announced that we will see the first Police Station to be Built run and staffed by the Tories' favourite private security firm G4S....You know the ones who handle prisoners in transit and private prisons...

G4S, Private Firm, To Run Police Station In Lincolnshire

Private security firm G4S will design, build and help run a police station in what is thought to be the first deal of its kind.

Although the deal with Lincolnshire Police Authority could save up to £28m, it has been criticised by the the Police Federation who warned private sector contracts could leave police officers "high and dry in times of national emergency".

Any takers for a Fire Station????
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Re: A 'government of firsts'

Post by Mel on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 pm

atv

A little advise. If one continually reads The Daily Mail, one could end up believing anything. Very Happy

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Mel wrote:atv

A little advise. If one continually reads The Daily Mail, one could end up believing anything. Very Happy

That's why I concentrate on the Beano, At least I can believe that.

I cannot see any reason why these factories cannot continue as they are. It's a fallacy that to be worthwhile something must make a profit. There are more rewards than financial. As I see it these factories are providing work for those who would find it difficult to find a job in normal times, let alone in these days of unemployment. It is not charity. It's a chance for these people to be able to hold their heads up high and know they are doing something, and not sitting at home applying for jobs they are unlikely to get. As I understand it, Remploy help people who are able to do so, into work, by working with employers. So why change things. Isn't this what is going to happen anyway?

But then. What do I know.

Lets see what Dennis the Menace has been up to this week.
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 pm

trev

The barstewards are hitting all and sundry which incudes the disabled EXCEPT of course the rich . The excuse is to save money to address the deficit, whilst the real reason is to get the poor the needy and the disabled on their knees at the complete mercy of the rich and powerful.

The true and inevitable task of Tory idealism, create cheap labour, or in some cases free labour.
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Any one remember the 80s?

When Madge created all of those luvverly 'dole wallahs', then complained about the expanding black market, and the massive expansion of the "Lump" where people worked but did not declare it?

Wait for it, just wait!
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Did anyone note the ironey of todays Tory Party Political Broadcast where Dave claimed that the Tory policies were keeping down Mortgage rates when of the past two days we have seen Banks and Building Societies announce rises in there rates........

Bad Timing or Just Stupidity on the part of Camoron?.......
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by Mel Today at 10:54 pm

trev

The barstewards are hitting all and sundry which incudes the disabled EXCEPT of course the rich . The excuse is to save money to address the deficit, whilst the real reason is to get the poor the needy and the disabled on their knees at the complete mercy of the rich and powerful.

The true and inevitable task of Tory idealism, create cheap labour, or in some cases free labour.

Close the factories, give the workers £2500 redundancy? and save the money lost by the factory.
Then spend money paying benefits, more money getting people back to work with the money they save? When they have already got work.

Agh. Rolling Eyes Can I have my tablets now nurse, and please loosen these straps, they're too tight.Mad
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:27 pm

astradt1 wrote:Did anyone note the ironey of todays Tory Party Political Broadcast where Dave claimed that the Tory policies were keeping down Mortgage rates when of the past two days we have seen Banks and Building Societies announce rises in there rates........

Bad Timing or Just Stupidity on the part of Camoron?.......

Oooops. Didn't his deputy, Clegg, tell him about the rise in rates. After all that's all deputies are good for. Smile
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by atv on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 am

astra wrote:

ATV, Why do you HAVE to brand EVERYONE on here who does not like the torys a labour loving leftie? Are you not yet tired of beating that poor old pony just coz it stands there?

You were on the MSN boards, and when, WHEN did I EVER praise labour?
Blair admitted he did nowt for the Noth East coz he did not want to be accused of favouratism! Not then, and not before either!

Are yoo telling me I support labour? yer rang!

Astra,
I am well aware you do not support Labour, you have made that quite clear in previous posts.
When I stated "Do Labour and their supporters think they know better than disability groups?" it was meant in general terms, unlike lefties who accuses anyone who disagrees with Labour must by definition be a Tory.

atv

Back to top Go down

Post by atv on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 am

Mel wrote:atv

The same could be said if you listen to Labourhome, the Guardian and Keep Left.
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 am

ATV....Many of our Labour posters on here just make it up as they go along anyway....Everything is always someone elses fault. No wonder many of our youngsters who grew up under Blair and Brown have no idea about taking responsibility for their own actions. I'm surprised Brown didn't blame his failings on ADHD

Last edited by blueturando on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by atv on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

blueturando wrote:ATV....Many of our Labour posters on here just make it up as they go along anyway....Everything is always someone elses fault. No wonder many of our youngsters who grew up under Balir and Brown have no idea about taking responsibility for their own actions. I'm surprised Brown didn't blame his failings on ADHD

Hi Blue,
Not just Labour posters on here, Len Duvall is a Labour Party member of the London Assembly and one of Ken Livingstone’s chief cheerleaders. Len wrote an article for the Your Ken website attempting to discredit Boris Johnson.
Of course total lies, but as certain posters wrote, repeat a lie enough and someone will believe it.
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:02 am

The usual tactics then....I seem to remember a few of those Labour spin doctors getting caught out for doing that too, Damian McBride and the Labour blogger Derek Draper I think

It seems they just cannot help lieing and this lot have caught the disease

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 am

blueturando wrote:The usual tactics then....I seem to remember a few of those Labour spin doctors getting caught out for doing that too, Damian McBride and the Labour blogger Derek Draper I think

BEST IF YOU LOOK A A REAL TORY ECONOMY.
At the very time tax revenues are declining and a debt crisis is ravaging the global economy, our politicians have chosen to go on an unprecedented spending splurge. To fund it, the Government borrowed a monumental £170.8 billion last year. If all goes well, we're set to borrow another £167.9 billion this year.

This kind of deficit is far greater than during the recessions of the 80s and early 90s and even higher than when Britain went cap in hand to the IMF in 1976
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 am

atv wrote:
blueturando wrote:LMAO.....Labour? A shower of liars and hypocrites. The general public won't be conned with your Sh*t anymore. Poor old Ed found out what people really think on his Radio phone in yesterday...

Labour couldn't run a village fete let alone the country

Couldn't agree more.
I do believe this is what is frightening the lefties the most, they want to believe Ed will lead them to. victory at the next GE, but know in their heart of hearts that it's not going to happen.

Ed Miliband must work harder to get his message across to the public if Labour is to recover from a 'shaky start' to 2012, senior Labour MP Alan Johnson warned.
The former cabinet minister said he believed the party leader had 'the personality, the intellect and the steely determination to succeed'.
But he said that unless he got out 'on the stump' to gain public recognition and made the Opposition sound more relevant to ordinary voters it would be in trouble.
The intervention of Mr Johnson, who stepped down as shadow chancellor almost a year ago for personal reasons, comes after a damning poll showed most voters not think that Mr Miliband is doing a worse job than Nick Clegg.
The YouGov survey found that just 20 per cent of people say Mr Miliband is performing well as Labour leader, while 21 per cent think the same of Mr Clegg as leader of the Liberal Democrats, despite his party’s unpopularity.
By contrast, 44 per cent of people think David Cameron is doing well as Prime Minister.
“Small opinion poll leads, welcome as they are, cannot hide the fact that the public remain suspicious about Labour,' said Mr Johnson.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The right's stupidity spreads, enabled by a too-polite left
Conservativism may be the refuge of the dim. But the room for rightwing ideas is made by those too timid to properly object

conservatism thrives on low intelligence and poor information. But the liberals in politics on both sides of the Atlantic continue to back off, yielding to the supremacy of the stupid. It's turkeys all the way down.

Canadian study published last month in the journal Psychological Science, which revealed that people with conservative beliefs are likely to be of low intelligence. Paradoxically it was the Daily Mail that brought it to the attention of British readers last week. It feels crude, illiberal to point out that the other side is, on average, more stupid than our own. But this, the study suggests, is not unfounded generalisation but empirical fact.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]eft
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Stox 16 wrote:
blueturando wrote:The usual tactics then....I seem to remember a few of those Labour spin doctors getting caught out for doing that too, Damian McBride and the Labour blogger Derek Draper I think

At the very time tax revenues are declining and a debt crisis is ravaging the global economy, our politicians have chosen to go on an unprecedented spending splurge. To fund it, the Government borrowed a monumental £170.8 billion last year. If all goes well, we're set to borrow another £167.9 billion this year.

This kind of deficit is far greater than during the recessions of the 80s and early 90s and even higher than when Britain went cap in hand to the IMF in 1976

Some on this forum will not believe your figures Stox, we will have to wait until there time in power is at an end then and only then will the TRUTH of what they borrowed during there time in office will be known, I do not know about any body else but I will make sure i know the FULL AMOUNT.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Some on this forum will not believe your figures Stox

What!!! You mean borrowing has gone up in the worst global recession since the 1930's...OMG that's incredible...who would have thought it!!! Doh!!!!

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 pm

There's another Tory "First" in today's headlines .... The Minister for Transport finally acknowledges that there may be flaws in the privatised Railways. (Which currently receive a government subsidy which is FOUR TIMES what British Rail was costing the public purse.)
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Indeed OW

Rail travel provided by the people for the people is expensive on the public purse. However, when one considers privatisation of the railways then it has been proven as OW has pointed out, profit before service costs more not only to the public purse but to the public at large.
All for what? cash for fat cats that the Tories adore and assist at public expense. NHS next on the cards?
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

All for what?

Shareholders Mel, don't forget the shareholders.

Unlike the cash presented by government to BR, the taxes handed to the 144 rail companies since 1986, has £ for £ gone to shareholders and owners.

I think OW has the figure for a Mr Bransons sojourn into railway life.
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 am

blueturando wrote:ATV....Many of our Labour posters on here just make it up as they go along anyway....Everything is always someone elses fault. No wonder many of our youngsters who grew up under Blair and Brown have no idea about taking responsibility for their own actions. I'm surprised Brown didn't blame his failings on ADHD

blue
this has to be one of your more desperate posts I have read from you... try reading this Blue it just may help you...

MYTH: The UK has a big public sector compared to other countries

Public spending in the UK is lower as a proportion of the economy than in the likes of France, Italy, Austria and Belgium, as well as the Scandinavian countries (OECD World Factbook 2010).

And spending on core areas such as health and education remains comparable or low in relation to other OECD (broadly speaking, 'rich') countries.

For example, the UK spent just 8.4 per cent of its GDP on health in 2007, roughly half that spent in the United States (once the large private sector is taken into account) and well behind Germany, France and most other west European nations.

On education, the UK again spends less per pupil than most comparable OECD countries.

The UK is not profligate in public spending and does not have an oversized public sector compared to similar countries.

MYTH: Spending on the public sector is 'crowding out' private sector growth

It is argued that public spending comes at the expense of overall growth, because potential investment is being re-directed into taxation to fund an 'unproductive' public sector. But in fact investment in public infrastructure and services is essential to private sector productivity, and so is no less critical to future growth than private sector investment.

Furthermore, the UK is not a highly taxed economy. The OECD's comparative figures on taxation as a proportion of overall economic output show the UK way down the list, only just above the average.

It is sometimes suggested that taxes hit the private sector in such a way as to discourage job growth. Again, though, the data shows the UK to have very low levels of taxation per job: far lower than the OECD average.

The second way in which the public sector might be said to be crowding out private sector growth is by taking workers it needs, but this would only really be the case where the labour market was operating close to full employment.

With the unemployment rate at about 8 per cent, this is clearly not the case. and in many areas of public provision - from child protection, to education and training, to care for the elderly - there is a pressing need for more, not fewer, public service workers.

Finally, some argue that public investment 'crowds out' private investment, because government borrowing pushes up interest rates and inflation. But there is no evidence that this is currently a problem - real interest rates are low, and the economy is still operating well below its potential output, which means there is lots of room for non-inflationary public sector expansion.

In fact, in current circumstances, public spending is more likely to stimulate private sector investment by maintaining levels of demand and preventing a deeper collapse of economic activity.

MYTH: Public sector workers are overpaid

It is true that very recently average wages in the public sector have moved marginally above those in the private sector. This is mainly because privatisation has pushed many low-paid jobs out to the private sector.

The trend is not that public sector wages have risen sharply, but that private sector wages have fallen - a characteristic of the economic crisis. If we take a longer view, since the 1990s average public sector pay has not seen significantly more growth than the public sector.

And when private sector wages are split up to consider different sector and occupational patterns, a rather different picture emerges. Wage rates differ widely, with the average pulled down by very low wage sectors such as distribution, retail and hospitality.

What the data shows, therefore, is not that public sector workers are overpaid, but that some private sector workers are severely underpaid.

MYTH: The financial crisis was caused by a lack of money in circulation

This one is true to some extent, but it requires careful explanation. The system of finance capitalism pursued in the UK and US since the 1970s has continuously recycled economic surpluses away from the poor toward the rich. In both countries, the share of economic output taken up by wages (as opposed to profit) has fallen, and inequality has risen. The very affluent have got wealthier, at the expense of the rest of the population. In 2007/08 the richest tenth of the population had more than 30 per cent of total income ('Income Inequalities', poverty.org.uk).

In the post-war period, part of the role of the state was to redistribute economic surpluses to the wider population so that they could keep spending on goods and services. This was seen as so important precisely because large inequalities had been identified as one cause of the 1929 stock market crash and the subsequent depression.

For a while, the problem that rising inequality presented for growth was overcome by the use of credit and the super-exploitation of workers in the developing world, which allowed consumers to keep buying cheap products. This is one of the factors that fed the debt crisis.

So, yes, there is not enough money in circulation - but this is precisely because it has been captured by the super-rich.

MYTH: Cutting public spending will help us avoid economic disaster

A range of economists, from Larry Elliott of the Guardian to Nobel prize winning professors like Paul Krugman and Joseph Stiglitz, are warning that making cuts now raises the very real possibility of undermining the fragile economic recovery.

As every first year economics student knows, there are four main components of economic growth: (1) exports; (2) investment; (3) household spending; and (4) government spending.

Over the past two years, governments around the world have stepped in to bridge the gap in the first three by providing debt-financed public sector stimulus packages. There is precious little evidence that the private sector or households are ready or able to step up their activity to fill the gap, or that exports will increase in a world where our major trading partners are also reining in spending.

As such, any austerity programme may prematurely remove the foundations of the recovery and lead to a return to recession - a 'double dip'. This would be disastrous, not just for growth, but in turn for tax receipts and the capacity of the state to reduce the deficit and government debt.

How will that help to stabilise the world economy? How will it deal with the frequent, persistent and cumulative financial crises that are endemic to it, or overcome the pressing resource and environmental constraints that are so clear for all to see?

The economic crisis was a golden opportunity to move toward a more economically, socially and environmentally sustainable national and international economic system. For a while all countries were so concerned about the whole system that there was at least a chance to overcome narrow self-interest and look toward a more co-operative and sustainable future.

We are about to squander a once-in-a-generation opportunity for progressive change - unless, that is, we organise and campaign for an alternative.

MYTH: There is no alternative to cuts

The beginnings of an alternative have already been discussed. For example, Unison's alternative budget ('We can afford a fairer society', Unison Alternative Budget 2010) suggests that almost £4.7 billion could be raised each year from introducing a 50 per cent tax rate on incomes over £100,000.

About £5 billion could be raised every year from a tax on vacant housing; £25 billion a year could be raised by closing tax loopholes; and the IPPR think-tank has estimated that a 'Robin Hood tax' on financial transactions could raise another £20 billion a year (T Dolphin, Financial Sector Taxes, IPPR 2010).

All these taxation measures would be 'progressive' in the sense that they would divert wealth from the rich to the poor, in contrast to measures such as the government's VAT increase, which hits the poor hardest.

In addition, some of these ideas might have behavioural advantages: they could work against destabilising speculative financial flows, or lead to fewer empty houses.

Similarly, we could look at spending that really should be cut. For example, while estimates of the true costs of replacing the Trident nuclear weapon system vary widely, they tend always to come in above £80 billion over 25 years.

Getting rid of the cost of the war in Afghanistan, massive consultancy fees on private finance deals and contractors' profits in privatised public services would also make a difference.

We could also decide to manage the deficit and public spending in a long-term manner, targeting social issues such as inequality, under-investment in education and child poverty, and strongly regulating international financiers, banks, hedge funds and the like.

All of these are political choices.

We don't have to live in a world where unemployment co-exists with a long-hours culture in which workers are so stressed that mental health problems are on the rise.

We don't have to live in a world where bankers gamble millions across the world in elaborate financial casinos at the same time as 1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 a day.

We don't have to live in a world where there is no limit to how much of our collective economic output goes to the rich, yet others do not have enough to eat.

It is worth remembering that after the last crisis of this scale and significance, and with public debt something like three and a half times the size it is today, we established the NHS, created the welfare state, put in place comprehensive education and built a vast number of public housing estates.

History tells us that there is more than one way out of an economic crisis.

Thanks to my friend Dr Alex Nunn of Leeds Metropolitan University
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05 am

Redflag wrote:
Stox 16 wrote:

Some on this forum will not believe your figures Stox, we will have to wait until there time in power is at an end then and only then will the TRUTH of what they borrowed during there time in office will be known, I do not know about any body else but I will make sure i know the FULL AMOUNT.
Hi Red
The Truth is Red there borrowing is almost totally out of control...as they still have failed to address the fact they have no fiscal growth policy of any note...right now they are borrowing on the bond markets and are cashing cheques they will have to pay back in 10 years time. while adding to the QE bill for there friends in the City. what's more some Tory backwoods men know they are hanging on by the skin of there teeth. Most people rightly or wrongly do not full understand what is in fact really going on...This is why the polls are the way they are...but time is running out very fast for them...Gideon will re-dress up his economic figures for his budget. ...but under the Red book is the true story....They have so little in the way of good news that its all about the government bond markets and the cost of borrowing...he did have some good Manufacturing figures but nothing to shout out about...as the economic is still flatling... Its my own view that you will soon see a call for more QE... No matter what the polls show or what the Tory fan club say they are in deep s''''t Red...what's more its now of there own making... all the silly talk of putting the national and banking debt stright has well gone out of the Blue window
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 am

astra wrote:Any one remember the 80s?

When Madge created all of those luvverly 'dole wallahs', then complained about the expanding black market, and the massive expansion of the "Lump" where people worked but did not declare it?

Wait for it, just wait!

I remember the LUMP Mel my brother-in-law worked on the lump.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 am

England's major roads could be run by private firms in a deal compared to the sell-off of the water industry under plans to boost infrastructure spending being set out by David Cameron.

Camer-con said he hoped it would emulate the "great success" of the 1989 water industry privatisation. Ehhhhh??????? Success for whom? We have
found out to our bitter costs.

Whats next? privatisation of the air we breath?
More opportunity for the big boys to make fortunes by ripping us off as usual.
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 am

Mel wrote:Whats next? privatisation of the air we breath?

Its so funny Mel the first post that I ever done on any political forum was about what you are talking about, I had said I was waiting for Thatcher to stick meters on our backs and charge us for the air we breath because that was the next thing she was going to privatize. elephant
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 am

The thing that concerns me Red is that Cameron is doing more damage to the poor and middle classes in 5yrs than the Witch achieved in some 13ys and nothing and nobody it seems can or will do anything about it.
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 am

Whats next? privatisation of the air we breath?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mel

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope there is a clause that includes improving air quality in some of our cities.Smile

One thing about the proposal for privatisation of roads. I believe it is another nail in this appalling Governments coffin. Is there anyone, apart from the rich, who can afford to use toll roads. Other than you, of course;)

The only conclusion I can come to is that our 'leader' is that alien everyone is looking for. I certainly don't recognise his proposed country as a country for all.

Feudalism is still alive and recovering after several hundred years of decline. Yes my lord. Certainly my lord.

Good lord, what is happening to our country.

OUT, DAMN SPOT. Lets wash our hands of you.

Acknowledgement to the Bard (Copyright?) Laughing
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 am

This is nothing short of blatant money making, for those that can afford to buy into the scheme or should I say scam. Obviously the idea is to put Toll booths every 50 metres or so, to make us pay for the roads we have already phucking paid for.
No one can accuse this Tory led Coalition of not hitting the floor running, or of running out of ideas for that matter, its just that all their ideas are crap, and not one is ever thought out properly. They are behaving just like their forebears in that they think, then do without any time in between for working out as to if its plausible and FAIR (just to use one of the Bastard Herr Cameron’s favourite words).

Just who the hell does he think he is, as WE owned the utilities his predecessors sold, WE own the roads. I bet he thinks that if he prices the poorer off the roads there will be more room for him and his ilk, Then he and Doris Johnson can ride their bikes the wrong way down a street without having to ride on the pavement.

I know there are laws prohibiting MP’s from purchasing shares from Privatisations, but is there any laws prohibiting off shore companies from buying into yet another Tory cash cow, and who is it that own many of the off shore companies.

I honestly believe these ex public school boys are playing a game, they have already got away with so much and are still in power, they just like small children are now seeing just how far they can push the boundaries.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am

What gets to me, REALLY gets to me, is the £100 million and more cameron is giving away, "to developing nations"

MY ARCHIEBALD!!

We have a Hospital being discussed on here, sold off because it is £35 million in debt (think that's the figure) Crying or Very sad and we have the A1 north of Newcastle to Berwick needing dualled. He would have CHANGE out of that £100 million if he used the money FOR THE WEAL OF THE REALM! A concept which is obviously way abve any bory brain cell!
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 am

MSN NEWS Mr Cameron will say that the taxpayer cannot afford to pay for the improvements needed to ease traffic jams meaning the Government must turn to European-style private funding systems

Hello V Mate. I’ve just thought of a novel Idea, why doesn’t he use the money we pay in Road Tax for any improvements necessary. I wonder what the Tax Take is for Britain’s road taxes, and how much of that actually goes into our road system. They call it road Tax or vehicle licensing whatever, but its being spent on everything but the roads. The French roads used to be so bad, they had to develop cars with suspension that could cope with them, now they have some of the best roads I have ever driven on, its us who now need a better suspension system to cope with our atrocious roads. Heaven help us V, as there is a further 3 years of it. Whatever next.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Vauxhall Opel, in their write up blurb, testing the omega model said that they HAD to bring models to UK as the roads on the continent could not compare to our pothole ridden, badly surfaced and wrongly cambered corners. No wonder our accident figures are so high AND serious. Think of the last Vectras - Omega floorpan, everything omega except the name badge.
If Taxpayers money was used correctly for the use it was paid in for, there would be NO problems! Governments are so strapped through wanton largesse they have no cash.

Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit, Very Happy

I done it AGAIN, yes I know you don't believe me! and you are too kind to say, but I erred in the above post!!

YES ME!! Shocked

Please change ALL REFERENCE to the Omega model to the INTEGRA

Last edited by astra on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 pm

The adult rate of the minimum wage is to rise by 11p to £6.19 an hour from October, Business Secretary Vince Cable has announced.

But the rates for younger workers will be frozen at £4.98 for 18 to 20-year-olds and £3.68 for 16 to 17-year-olds.

Laughable if it didn't want to make you cry.

For a 40hr week the increase is £4.40 extra per week........ WOW!!!!

What a vote winner!!!!!!!

October is not too long to wait now is it??
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Hello Mel, when crumbs fall from their lordships plates, the plebs should doff their capa and be gratefull.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:45 pm

I cannot understand why the Banks and Government are not full of 16 to 17 year olds on one year only contracts of employment!

AH YES That's it!

With the dependancy of employment agencies these days, managers up and down the land do not have any knowledge of the concept of a contract of employment (excepting when it comes to themselves obviously)
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

A coalition doing more for the low paid than the previous troughites are called uncaring, what was the word for the previous incumberments. I'm beginning to believe that it's me personally paying for all the public utilities, privatise the roads as no government over the last 25 years has spent a penny on them.

Just come back from Spain where the local AP7 toll road is magnificent, more of that in England please.

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

tlttf wrote:A coalition doing more for the low paid than the previous troughites are called uncaring, what was the word for the previous incumberments. I'm beginning to believe that it's me personally paying for all the public utilities, privatise the roads as no government over the last 25 years has spent a penny on them.

Just come back from Spain where the local AP7 toll road is magnificent, more of that in England please.

Spain, Portugal, France and other Countries of the EU have built magnificent autoroutes/autopistas/motorways paid for by the European Community. Each is signposted with expressions of gratitude. The Thatcher government and its successors preferred cash rebates.

As ye sow, then shall ye reap. Handbaggings or toll roads - choose one.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Land, if the money collected in Tax (various) for our road system (£49 Billion) was spent on our road system instead of the paultry £9 Billion (figures - Edmund King of the AA) then our roads could be paved with Gold just for the fun of it!

We ARE paying enough!

Successive "Troughites" since Mac Millan have seen to it that the money goes where THEY deem it .

I suggest that this is fraud!
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm

The money collected from the Road Fund Licence (Tax Disc) has always disappeared into The Treasury's "Consolidated General Fund".

The Road Fund was a British Government fund designated to pay for the building and maintenance of the United Kingdom road network. Its income came originally from vehicle excise duty, until that ceased to be hypothecated for roads use in 1936, and then from government grants. It was created by the Roads Act 1920 and Finance Act 1920, and was wound up in Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act of 1955.

The Road Fund is notable as one of the few beneficiaries of hypothecated taxation in British history, and is the root of a popular misconception that vehicle excise duty (especially when referred to as road tax) is still hypothecated. Between 1920 and 1936 the vehicle licence (tax disc) was officially known as the "Road Fund Licence", a term which is still in colloquial use today.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am

0600 - 2300 2300 - 0600
Mon-Fri: £3.00
Sat-Sun: £2.80 Class 1 - Motor Cycle £1.80
Mon-Fri: £5.30
Sat-Sun: £4.80 Class 2 - Motor Car £3.80
Mon-Fri: £9.60
Sat-Sun: £8.60 Class 3 - Car and Trailer £7.60
Mon-Fri: £10.60
Sat-Sun: £9.60 Class 4 - Van or Coach £8.60
Mon-Fri: £10.60
Sat-Sun: £9.60 Class 5 - HGV

M6 TOLL PRICES

Fine for well off football players to travel at ease along with those with their Bentleys and of course MP's who no doubt claim the expenses.

HGV vehicle costs are passed on to us.

This is the future under the Tories. These measures will ultmately force the poorer of us off the roads.

As the Witch said "make money any way you can". Like her son perhaps, make a fortune even by crooked means. Tory ideology.
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 am

A commentator in a radio discussion on Sunday observed that we British demand better roads and railways, but resent paying more tax for the purpose; that we moan continuously about traffic congestion, but hate to pay the Congestion Charge; we want more generous Pensions but choose not to contribute enough during the working lifetime.

The decision is actually simple, do we decide upon a "User Pays" system (that favours those who can afford it), or provide public facilities as a public service at public expense?

The answer may depend upon which Political Party you favour.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:05 pm

In the wake of the 2008-9 recession, Camer-con had not ruled out raising taxes, and have said it will be difficult to scrap the 50% top rate of income tax. They have said how they would prefer to cut a recent rise in national insurance.

Not that "difficult" was it now?

First we had the above statement by cameron before the election. This was followed by "we will consider scrapping the 50% top rate only when we see good growth and improvents within the economy". The word "consider" has been used by him and Gideon many times on this subject. Paving the way for the inevitable and intended 50% cut whilst looking to be indecisive right up to this budget, where those of us who knew better were certain this cut for the rich would come sooner or later irrispective of the state of the country.

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Wasn't the 50p rate supposed to be a 1 year temporary measure? according to Alistair Darling....And if not, why didn't Labour introduce this in 97 rather than wait until they knew they were going to lose power.

If the 50p is shown to be a revenue loser and also discouraged foreign investment and business growth, do you still believe the rate it to be correct or do you think that more investment by companies both here and abroad would help drive the British economy forward

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum