Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity

+4
Shirina
GreatNPowerfulOz
astra
astradt1
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity - Page 2 Empty Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity

Post by astradt1 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

During one of her latest campaign stops in New Hampshire, Bachmann told the audience, in response to a question about healthcare that to protect the best heatlhcare system it had to remain a free market system, and that if you can't afford the best than you will have to rely on charity.........

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/bachmann-tells-man-no-teeth-rely-charity

It could be inferred that she is suggesting that only those who can afford the best should get the best......

astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity - Page 2 Empty Re: Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 pm

My brother, don't ever call a South Carolinian a "Yankee" anything![/quote]

My father moved to S.C. a couple years ago...he says there's a LOT of yankees afoot there. He says the locals work cheap too....cheaper than Mexicans even.

He also said that God must hate the Carolinians because it's hotter there than it is in Florida.

GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity - Page 2 Empty Re: Bachmann tells man with 'no teeth' to rely on charity

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm

As to the topic, the American system of health care provision IS broken. The mean quality of health care itself is the best in the world, IMO. As it is, health care providers are professionals who operate on a pay-for-services-rendered basis...like most any other professional service...and if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. You can't go to a mechanic and say "my car is sick, you should fix it for free"....why would anyone think going to a doctor should be any different?
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

You can't go to a mechanic and say "my car is sick, you should fix it for free"....why would anyone think going to a doctor should be any different?

The comparison fails because you can't compare a car with a human life. That's why it should be different. And those who die quickly are the lucky ones. Most people would linger around for years, or even decades, with a painful condition that isn't fatal ... but they can't get the treatment they need.

If we pay taxes for the police to help protect our lives, I fail to see why paying taxes for the medical industry to do the same is somehow "wrong." And it is guaranteed that we will need treatment far more often than we'll need the police.

A car doesn't feel miserable when its transmission blows ... it doesn't feel pain, or the emotional consequences that transcend the physical when dealing with disability.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 pm

GreatNPowerfulOz wrote:
You can't go to a mechanic and say "my car is sick, you should fix it for free"....why would anyone think going to a doctor should be any different?
Because many ones fail to comprehend that free health care has never been free (line borrowed from Curtis Mayfield, hear it below).

Two friends vacationed in Ontario recently, Toronto and environs. Due to a mix-up, a pre-paid-for tour was not delivered as promised. The tour operators apologized and took my friends' contact information to refund the tour cost, which had been paid by credit card.

A short time after returning home in the US, my friends noticed that their credit card account's balance had been adjusted in the amount of the refund and were satisfied. Much to their surprise, there was more coming.

About a year after their time in Ontario, my friends received a check in the mail, in US funds, drawn on a US bank, totaling nearly two hundred dollars, maybe one hundred eighty or one hundred ninety dollars. Turns out that during their nearly two week stay in Ontario, they had spent a lot of money, all on their credit card (the same one used to pre-pay the tour), and all taxed at the time of purchase at Ontario's exorbitant sales tax rate (to Americans USV) of perhaps fifteen or maybe even twenty percent (I got steamed in Virginia Beach paying ten percent). Turns out also that a substantial portion of Ontario's sales tax revenues goes to partially fund Ontario's universal health care coverage. Since my friends were (and are) neither Ontarians nor Canadians of any stripe, someone in the tour company had arranged to have that portion (maybe one third to one half) of the accumulated sales taxes they had paid in Ontario, the portion that funds universal health care, also refunded to them. There was a letter accompanying the check which explained this, reasoning that, since they weren’t covered by Ontario's universal health care, they shouldn’t have been charged for it.

That was a wake up call for me. One hundred eighty dollars for less than two weeks works out to more than three hundred sixty dollars per month, so Ontario's free universal health care may be universal, but it ain't free, Clyde, and it's never been free.

Curtis Mayfield, New World Order, 1996 (his last album, recorded after the accident); listen to the second verse.
http://www.videodetective.com/music-videos/new-world-order-video/45468
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 pm

I still do not understand why a PROFESSIONAL who has spent decades of his or her life and incurred ridiculous debt in learning to be a doctor should be expected to provide his or her services as a physician free of charge simply out of the goodness of the heart.

The analogy, Shirina, is absolutely apropos to this conversation. I do not agree with the idea that anyone should be compelled into servitude to provide professional services. Doctors may wish to voluntarily offer their services for the poor, indigent and those unable to pay however, I do not believe that they are obligated to make someone else's problems or lot in life their own problems...especially as an act of governance.

You don't pay taxes to pay for medical treatment. We've discussed how I feel about a public option before and I think we agree that we need a system of PUBLIC hospitals and health care providers paid for with tax dollars open to bona fide citizens for care. That, however, is not what we have and expecting private individuals and companies to behave as if we, as taxpayers, deserve something from them is just erroneous.

Last edited by GreatNPowerfulOz on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Shirina wrote:

The comparison fails because you can't compare a car with a human life. That's why it should be different. And those who die quickly are the lucky ones. Most people would linger around for years, or even decades, with a painful condition that isn't fatal ... but they can't get the treatment they need.
Oz's comparison does not fail, because Oz is not comparing "a car with a human life", an obvious fact that you fail to see and fail to comprehend.

Oz is comparing money required and paid for services rendered; i.e., Oz is comparing the money required and paid for service rendered in the maintenance/repair of a car with the money required and paid for services rendered in the maintenance/repair of a human.

The disparity, if any, is in the amount of money; in many cases, the money required and paid for service rendered in the maintenance/repair of a human far exceeds the money required and paid for services rendered in the maintenance/repair of a human.

After all, in both cases, a substantial portion of that cost is the human labor required for the service provided, and the training required of and excellence in service provided expected from the heart surgeon who performs open heart, triple or quadruple bypass surgery on the heart of your beloved family member far exceeds the  training required of and excellence in service provided expected from the mechanic who performs open engine, cylinder or crankshaft replacement on the engine of your beloved family car. Heart surgeons' services cost a lot partially because their training costs a lot. Look up and compare the costs for medical school and mechanic school.

Shirina wrote:
If we pay taxes for the police to help protect our lives, I fail to see why paying taxes for the medical industry to do the same is somehow "wrong." And it is guaranteed that we will need treatment far more often than we'll need the police.
Ontarians pay fifteen to twenty percent sales tax. They dance to the music, and they pay to the piper. Are you ready to pay to the piper in North Carolina for the privilege of dancing to the music in North Carolina? A simple "yes" or "no" answer will reveal if you're prepared to walk the talk.

Shirina wrote:
A car doesn't feel miserable when its transmission blows ... it doesn't feel pain, or the emotional consequences that transcend the physical when dealing with disability.
All true, and all irrelevant.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 am

I still do not understand why a PROFESSIONAL who has spent decades of his or her life and incurred ridiculous debt in learning to be a doctor should be expected to provide his or her services as a physician free of charge simply out of the goodness of the heart.

I didn't say anyone should or would work for free. I don't expect doctors to volunteer and then go home to a cardboard box under an overpass. Do doctors in countries with NHS work for free? No, they do not. Therefore, you're offering up a strawman as a rebuttal.

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 am

Oz is comparing money required and paid for services rendered; i.e., Oz is comparing the money required and paid for service rendered in the maintenance/repair of a car with the money required and paid for services rendered in the maintenance/repair of a human.

Yes, and this comparison is done by taking the human component out of the equation. There is no morality involved in letting a car fester and rust away in your back yard nor is there any morality involved in sending a car off to be junked. Where humans are involved, there is morality, and one has to ask which form of morality takes greater precedent? The morality of profit and money? Or the morality of human suffering and indirect torture?

Since we ARE talking about the "maintenance of a human," as you put it, then removing the human component from the equation is a disingenuous argument. Boiling it down to mere dollars is an escape hatch to prevent the discussion of how ethical it is for any society to allow people to literally live or die - or worse, exist in perpetual pain - based on a person's ability to pay for a bloated, bureaucracy-laden health care system. When you're getting charged $50 for a common bag of ice, one should realize that the health care industry has become like those stories you hear of the government paying $100 for a screw driver.
Ontarians pay fifteen to twenty percent sales tax. They dance to the music, and they pay to the piper. Are you ready to pay to the piper in North Carolina for the privilege of dancing to the music in North Carolina? A simple "yes" or "no" answer will reveal if you're prepared to walk the talk.

As long as the tax isn't on food. It's easy to turn up one's nose at the idea of NHS when you either a) are healthy, b) have money or c) both.

But when you're staring down a dark tunnel of 60 years of agonizing pain with very little recourse or hope of any substantial help, paying a little more for my luxuries is insignificant compared to a pain-free life.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:16 am

Shirina wrote:

Yes, and this comparison is done by taking the human component out of the equation.
No it's not. There is no human component in the equation to take out of the equation. Equations deal with numbers, and money is counted numerically.
Shirina wrote:
There is no morality involved in letting a car fester and rust away in your back yard nor is there any morality involved in sending a car off to be junked.
True and irrelevant.
Shirina wrote:
Where humans are involved, there is morality
True and irrelevant.
Shirina wrote:
one has to ask which form of morality takes greater precedent?
No one does not have to ask "which form of morality takes greater [precedence]."
Shirina wrote:
The morality of profit and money?
There is no "morality of profit and money." One need never ask oneself about something which doesn't exist.
Shirina wrote:
Or the morality of human suffering
I don't ask myself about "the morality of human suffering"; conversely, if I can do something about human suffering, I do something about it.

James, an apostle of Jesus the Christ, of whom our Father said, "this is my beloved Son; hear ye him", teaches us that, when action is needed to alleviate suffering, our job is to act, not to talk. To ask oneself a question is to talk.

Shirina wrote:
and indirect torture?
Who have I subjected to "indirect torture?" Please be specific.
Shirina wrote:
Since we ARE talking about the "maintenance of a human," as you put it, then removing the human component from the equation is a disingenuous argument.
No it's not. It's truth. Dollars have no "human component."
Shirina wrote:
Boiling it down to mere dollars is an escape hatch
No it's not. I'm not "boiling" anything "down" to anything; it's already "dollars", and not "mere dollars", but substantial dollars, which I pay out regularly.

I am reality driven; one component of my reality is that "money doesn't grow on trees."

Shirina wrote:
to prevent the discussion of how ethical it is for any society to allow people to literally live or die
I've not prevented any discussions. You've not been prevented from any discussing anything. I've not allowed anyone "to literally live or die." Those with whom I interact have not allowed anyone "to literally live or die."
Shirina wrote:
or worse, exist in perpetual pain
I've not caused anyone to "exist in perpetual pain." Those with whom I interact have not caused anyone "exist in perpetual pain."
Shirina wrote:
based on a person's ability to pay for a bloated, bureaucracy-laden health care system.
The US health care system is neither "bloated" nor "bureaucracy laden." US health care coverage is “bloated", "bureaucracy laden", and broke like hell.
Shirina wrote:
When you're getting charged $50 for a common bag of ice, one should realize that the health care industry has become like those stories you hear of the government paying $100 for a screw driver.
No one shouldn't. When one (this specific one) pays bucketfuls of money per month for health care insurance and gets treated to co-pays of between $30.00 a pop for clinic visits to more than $2,000.00 a pop for necessary procedures, then one doesn’t need "those stories" to know that US health care coverage is broke like hell.
Shirina wrote:

As long as the tax isn't on food.
I don't know on what Ontarians pay sales tax. I await your "yes" or "no."
Shirina wrote:
It's easy to turn up one's nose at the idea of NHS when you either a) are healthy, b) have money or c) both.
Since I'm neither "healthy" nor do I "have money", why do you mention this irrelevant opinion to me?
Shirina wrote:
But when you're staring down a dark tunnel of 60 years of agonizing pain with very little recourse or hope of any substantial help, paying a little more for my luxuries is insignificant compared to a pain-free life.
I haven't a clue about what you're saying.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 am

Ontarians pay fifteen to twenty percent sales tax.

I haven't a clue about what you're saying

Rock!

I have ALREADY stated HOW MUCH WE EACH PAY INTO THE NHS £17.50 per WEEK what's that 25 dollars. Compare my COST to your insurance and there is NO comparison! The EXTRA you are paying is going straight into the insurance companies coffers - for nothing else than corporate greed!!

We are short of nothing - do NOT believe the scare stories that you hear! My AVASTIN costs over $4.000 dollars - £2.300 a MONTH and I pay no more money into the kitty. Everyone pays into this. OK so Ontario pays purchase tax! To do so here, is outlawed in UK by the EU pi55takers! I have payed into this system for over 40 years, so am getting catchup! Yes YES we have "executives in our NHS who are right now trying to be apprentice insurance company reps. I happen to think that these scum should be SHOT, and if I could, would invite you over for some target practice!

Thing is we get what we need when we need it - it was very bad in the 80s due to governmental mismanagement and tampering, looking for the cheap, fast buck.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm

astra wrote:
Rock!

... WE EACH PAY INTO THE NHS £17.50 per WEEK  what's that 25 dollars.

Maybe $30.00, which would be a bit more than $120.00 per month, which compares very favorably to the $600.00 per month paid by my family now. Even if the $120.00 is individual, which would require multiplying by the number of individuals in my legal household, I'd still save a bundle.

US health care coverage is broke like hell.

astra wrote:
Compare my COST to your insurance and there is NO comparison!

True that.

astra wrote:
The EXTRA you are paying is going straight into the insurance companies coffers - for nothing else than corporate greed!!

I don't know where the extra is going. I do know where the extra is not going; it's not going to offset or eliminate my co-pays, and it's not going to ensure that the medications and dosages paid for are the medications and dosages prescribed by my doctors, which amounts to accountants' decisions superseding medical doctors' decisions (and I betcha ain't nar one of those accountants ever sniffed the inside of a medical school).

astra wrote:
We are short of nothing - do NOT believe the scare stories that you hear!

I don't. I believe the true stories that I hear, including these true stories:

New Zealand (Auckland, the most populous city) was short of the life-preserving treatments that my New Zealand friends needed to preserve their lives. My friends are alive and healthy today because San Francisco had the treatment.

The Netherlands (Amsterdam) was short of the life-preserving procedure that my friend's Dutch aunt needed to preserve her life. My friend's aunt is alive and functioning today because Dallas had the procedure.

As stipulated before, I read that Detroit had the treatment/procedure that Quebec lacked desired by Quebec's governor general (with the disclaimer that it could have been Ontario, and it could have been the premier).

As the old saying goes, "facts is facts"; since I am reality-driven, I pay attention to facts.

astra wrote:
My AVASTIN costs over $4.000 dollars - £2.300 a MONTH  and I pay no more money into the kitty.  Everyone pays into this.

Article I Section 8 of the US Constitution (see it here) delineates the delegated powers of Congress, which cannot exercise authority in areas in which it is not authorized to exercise authority; thus, Congress cannot pass a law requiring any citizen or resident of the United States of America to participate in and pay for any interstate commerce activity. To put it simply, Congress can regulate interstate commerce, but Congress cannot coerce interstate commerce.

The Interstate Commerce clause was the authority relied upon by Congress to pass the portion of the health care reform law that was ruled unconstitutional by a federal circuit court of appeals. That's the portion that would have allowed the federal government to require that everyone pay into the kitty.

astra wrote:
OK so Ontario pays purchase tax!

Sales tax. To American USV sensibilities, exorbitant sales tax.

astra wrote:
To do so here,  is outlawed in UK by the EU pi55takers!

So assert your sovereignty and get out of the EU. The United States of America is a member of the United Nations, NATO, the Pan-American conference, G12 (or whatever), SEATO, and Lord knows what else, and neither my fellow Texans nor I have ceded our Texas sovereignty or our United States sovereignty to any damned body. Y'all might take a tip from us on that one.

And get y'allselves a couple of CVNs, If Germany or France, the EU bully boys, should try to check y'all whilst y'all are exercising y'all's hard-earned sovereignty, park a CVN off their coasts, in international waters, and run through a few Super Hornet launch and recovery evolutions, just for practice, you understand, and watch the bully boys back off an leave y'all alone.

I trust neither Germany nor (especially) France as far as I can throw them.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm

And get y'allselves a couple of XCVNs, If germany or France, the EU bully boys, should try to check y'all whilst y'all are ecercising y'all's hard-eraned sovereignty, park a CVN off their coasts, in international waters, and run through a few Super Hornet launch and recovery evolutions, just for paractice, you understand, and watch the bully boys backm off an leave y'all alone.

I trust neither Germany nor (especially) france as far as I can throw them.
[quote]

Gunship diplomacy and against fellow NATO, UN, G12 and G20 members way to go ROB, but the again didn't Perry talk abot texas ceding from the Union last year?
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:20 pm

astra wrote:
Rock!

... WE EACH PAY INTO THE NHS £17.50 per WEEK  what's that 25 dollars.
Maybe $30.00, which would be a bit more than $120.00 per month, which compares very favorably to the $600.00 per month paid by my family now. Even if the $120.00 is individual, which would require multiplying by the number of individuals in my legal household, I'd still save a bundle.

US health care coverage is broke like hell.

astra wrote:
Compare my COST to your insurance and there is NO comparison!
True that.
astra wrote:
The EXTRA you are paying is going straight into the insurance companies coffers - for nothing else than corporate greed!!
I don't know where the extra is going. I do know where the extra is not going; it's not going to offset or eliminate my co-pays, and it's not going to ensure that the medications and dosages paid for are the medications and dosages prescribed by my doctors, which amounts to accountants' decisions superseding medical doctors' decisions (and I betcha ain't nar one of those accountants ever sniffed the inside of a medical school).
astra wrote:
We are short of nothing - do NOT believe the scare stories that you hear!
I don't. I believe the true stories that I hear, including these true stories:

1. New Zealand (Auckland, the most populous city) was short of the life-preserving treatments that my New Zealand friends needed to preserve their lives. My friends are alive and healthy today because San Francisco had the treatment.
  2. The Netherlands (Amsterdam) was short of the life-preserving procedure that my friend's Dutch aunt needed to preserve her life. My friend's aunt is alive and functioning today because Dallas had the procedure.
  3. As stipulated before, I read that Detroit had the treatment/procedure that Quebec lacked desired by Quebec's governor general (with the disclaimer that it could have been Ontario, and it could have been the premier).

As the old saying goes, "facts is facts"; since I am reality-driven, I pay attention to facts.

astra wrote:
My AVASTIN costs over $4.000 dollars - £2.300 a MONTH  and I pay no more money into the kitty.  Everyone pays into this.
Article I Section 8 of the US Constitution (see it here: http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A1Sec8) delineates the delegated powers of Congress, which cannot exercise authority in areas in which it is not authorized to exercise authority; thus, Congress cannot pass a law requiring any citizen or resident of the United States of America to participate in and pay for any interstate commerce activity. To put it simply, Congress can regulate interstate commerce, but Congress cannot coerce interstate commerce.

The Interstate Commerce clause was the authority relied upon by Congress to pass the portion of the health care reform law that was ruled unconstitutional by a federal circuit court of appeals. That's the portion that would have allowed the federal government to require that everyone pay into the kitty.

astra wrote:
OK so Ontario pays purchase tax!
Sales tax. To American USV sensibilities, exorbitant sales tax.
astra wrote:
To do so here,  is outlawed in UK by the EU pi55takers!
So assert your sovereignty and get out of the EU. The United States of America is a member of the United Nations, NATO, the Pan-American conference, G12 (or whatever), SEATO, and Lord knows what else, and neither my fellow Texans nor I have ceded our Texas sovereignty or our United States sovereignty to any damned body. Y'all might take a tip from us on that one.

And get y'all'selves a couple of CVNs, If Germany or France, the EU bully boys, should try to check y'all whilst y'all are exercising y'all's hard-earned sovereignty, park a CVN off their coasts, in international waters, and run through a few Super Hornet launch and recovery evolutions, just for practice, you understand, and watch the bully boys back off an leave y'all alone.

I trust neither Germany nor (especially) France as far as I can throw them.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:14 pm

New Zealand (Auckland, the most populous city) was short of the life-preserving treatments that my New Zealand friends needed to preserve their lives. My friends are alive and healthy today because San Francisco had the treatment.

I hate to break the news to you, ROB, but America isn't any different. You should try looking up the artificial scarcity of certain life-saving drugs that the Big Pharma companies are creating. It has forced health care providers to purchase these drugs from third party "back door" sellers for as much as a 1200% mark-up in price. It has become so bad that even the government is slowly mobilizing to take action, though not nearly as tough an action as is needed. The government only wants to require Big Pharma companies to notify health care providers in advance when a shortage will occur.

But this is a concrete example of why some things should never be about profit. Most of the drug shortages are not caused by hard-to-get ingredients becoming even harder to get. Instead, Big Pharma companies are cutting or stopping altogether the production of drugs that are not high-profit. To hell with the people who need them to stay alive ... unless you can afford to purchase those medicines at a 1200% mark-up above actual market value.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Shirina wrote:

I hate to break the news to you, ROB, but America isn't any different.
No problem, your example, however true it might be, not withstanding.

You've broken no news to me, because America USV is in fact different, enough so that New Zealand doctors, hardly "third world" quality, who diagnosed my friends' maladies quickly enough, just as quickly put them on a flight for San Francisco (Air New Zealand, I believe) and pre-arranged their speedy admittance to the medical facility where the available treatment therein, unavailable throughout New Zealand (or Australia), preserved their lives.

They are alive and healthy today due to availing themselves of treatment available in neither New Zealand nor Australia but available in the United States. That's fact.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:50 pm

"Varying reports containing medical tourism statistics put the number of American patients seeking healthcare abroad between 500,000 to 750,000 in 2007."
http://www.health-tourism.com/medical-tourism/statistics/

I only put in "american health tourism" into my search engine and am astounded by the SHEER NUMBER of 'hits' I have made.

This ALSO is BIG BIG business in USA, and the reason must surely be along the lines of Shirina's points.

It is cheaper abroad, and you get to see nice places (when you come round after the procedure)

Although, Brits who were treated in India have reported problems on their return home, and the good ole NHS was left to tie up the loose ends, for free of course!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by gator Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Interesting discussion with good points on both sides of the fence. Here's a bit of a Canadian slant on things. While Canada's health care system is somewhat good, it ain't the latest and greatest thing that ever came down the pipe. Here's a little comparison called Me and My Dog and it is from personal experience.

ME. I need an MRI scan. The wait can be anywhere up to two years, depending on the severity of the condition. In my case, it was fairly severe so I only had to wait about three weeks. The doctor said that he would have preferred to have it done within three hours. In addition, because those few MRI's available are always in use, you may have to be there at two o'clock in the morning. Of course, this is a serious inconvenience to those of us who live far out of town. On the good side, when it finally happens, it doesn't cost a lot of money other than transprotation costs, outrageous parking fees at the hospital and whatnot.

MY DOG needed an MRI scan. Mrs. Gator and I talked it over with the vet during regular office hours. It cost about $40.00 and they did it the next day while we went for a liesurely coffee. And it was done in a small town with a population of about 5000. Ain't that something? A small town can afford an MRI scanner for pets but they are forbidden to have one for people because of some bumbling bureaucratic regulation.

ME. I need dental work. It's at least a three week wait. I do have some coverage which the company I worked for until I retired said was pretty good - not the best coverage available but definitely in the top ten percentile. One key hint about dental work in Canada - bring money, lots and lots and lots of money.

MY DOG also needed some dental work. It cost about $300 and included the cost of her being knocked out of course. Again, next day service or at least it could have been had it not been for the fact that I worked shiftwork and couldn't make it in the next day. All in all, my dog's dental work was no more expensive than mine and there is no health care plan for pets that I was aware of at the time.

ME. Our family physician is still working 80+ hours a week. I really don't know how he does it and remains sane. He is always pleasant to deal with and always competent and always behind schedule.

MY DOG. If we had an appointment to get our dog checked/repaired, the vet was always with us within ten minutes of our appointment time. Vets also have to go through a huge educational expense and their costs reflect that.

Anyway, we got that little anecdote out of the way. Now a question or two or three.

1. Why should doctors of any stripe have to pay a king's ransom in education bills and then work for peanuts? I have a great deal of difficulty with this part.
2. If a vet can get an MRI done on an animal in short order, why can't it be done with humans? Are we not at least as important in the overall scheme of things as some dawg?
3. What about self inflicted injuries? when people go in for high risk sports such as skydiving or motocross racing, should they have their injuries repaired on the taxpayers dime as well? This does not seem proper.

One last point. Travel insurance. Any time we travel outside of Canada, we always get travel insurance. It  is a bit costly but still way cheaper than winding up in a US or Mexican hospital bed and having to sell the farm to pay for it.

gator
Anonymous
gator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Speaking of anecdotes, I was just reading an account on another forum about a retiree who was in a traffic accident with her husband - severe enough that two months later, he died of his wounds. The medical expenses were so great that it wiped out her lifetime savings and caused her to have to move in with one of her children ... and she hates it there (which is what the post was actually about, not the medical expenses).

Isn't it grand to work your tail off your entire life only to have it all whisked away in an eyeblink thanks to our wonderful and expensive health care system.

Why should doctors of any stripe have to pay a king's ransom in education bills and then work for peanuts?

Unless you're a small town GP, you normally don't work for peanuts. I've lived in a lot of small towns over the years, and I've yet to find a small town GP that was younger than 50, and most of them are quite a bit older than that. Perhaps small town GPs do not become small town GPs until later in their careers - after they paid off their debts working in a city hospital.

At any rate, MSNBC ran a story some months back about the 20 fastest growing salaries in America. Of those 20, 11 of them were doctors. Of those 11, doctors were in the top 6. I think the garden variety GP was in there somewhere. Most of them, however, were already making well over $400k per year, and they were receiving 13% raises. The increase in their salaries totaled more than what most people make to begin with, and they'd be lucky to get a 3% or 4% raise.

That's one chunky peanut.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 am

If you begrudge paying a Doctor for his skill and knowledge, the principal alternative is Prayer.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm confused...exactly why should a private, for-profit company produce a product which is not profitable for them to produce simply to have it available in the marketplace?

I think Shirina's outrage is misplaced...instead of being furious at private corporations, she should be furious that there is no government option for the manufacture and distribution of said medications.
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm confused...exactly why should a private, for-profit company produce a product which is not profitable for them to produce simply to have it available in the marketplace?

Well, if you believe that profit is more important than the moral and ethical concerns of saving people's lives, then I can see how that would be confusing. These Big Pharma companies are not teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and thus have to close down production lines to stay in business. In fact, the drugs they discontinued still brought in a profit, just not a big profit, so there is no true justification for removing them from the market place. Rather, the Big Pharma companies want to maximize profits at the expense of the American people, and I find that to be outrageous.
instead of being furious at private corporations, she should be furious that there is no government option for the manufacture and distribution of said medications.

While it is standard practice for those of a conservative nature to direct all blame and anger toward the government, my own anger will be directed toward where it belongs - the Big Pharma companies. The government is not withholding life-saving drugs just to boost profits. If not for their actions, the government wouldn't have to manufacture and distribute those medicines in the first place. In addition, during a time when people want to cut government spending, the chances of anyone voting in a bill that would require the government to spend a lot of money building a manufacturing plant, hiring hundreds of workers, and creating a distribution network, is roughly slim to none.

Big Pharma already has this infrastructure in place, but closing down production of blood pressure medication so they can shift workers to making more vanity drugs like Viagra or some such is unconscionable.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA but over here in Britain we are aware that when a Drug company develops and markets a new drug they have a production licence (Copy Right) on it's formula for a number of years, during this time they are able to charge what they like under the excuse of recovering their research and development costs, once this time is over then other companies are able to produce that drug.....often and a greatly reduced price...and still be able to make a profit......

Example Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK Ltd's Clozaril £77 for 100 tablets or Sandoz's Zaponex £33.88 per 100 tablets........

It is usually at this point the drug company comes up with an 'new' improved version or replacement and the cycle starts again...

Of course the drug company will have already primed doctors to purchasing their 'New' drug, by claiming that it is the best ever at treating whatever it is being used for......

astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:40 am

"While it is standard practice for those of a conservative nature to direct all blame and anger toward the government, my own anger will be directed toward where it belongs - the Big Pharma companies. The government is not withholding life-saving drugs just to boost profits. If not for their actions, the government wouldn't have to manufacture and distribute those medicines in the first place. In addition, during a time when people want to cut government spending, the chances of anyone voting in a bill that would require the government to spend a lot of money building a manufacturing plant, hiring hundreds of workers, and creating a distribution network, is roughly slim to none." ~ Shirina

Your demand is that "life saving drugs" be made available to the general population on principle alone. For that, you need to take the issue up with the government...not a private corporation which has no compunction to manufacture a product in accordance with your ethos regardless of profit or ability to bring the product to the marketplace. I don't blame the government for not having "drugs"...I'm pointing out that YOUR indignation is ill-placed and illogical. A company has no obligation to produce a "life saving drug" anymore than a company has an obligation to produce slinkys. I, unlike you, understand that life is not fair and that even though "good" can be done that you can't COMPEL people to "be good for goodness' sake", let alone corporations.

If you expect charity from a business, you will continually be disappointed...not because the business is doing anything wrong but because of your own flawed expectations.
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:59 am

I, unlike you, understand that life is not fair and that even though "good" can be done that you can't COMPEL people to "be good for goodness' sake", let alone corporations.

What's funny is that this is precisely what conservatives think will happen. That, if left to their own devices free of governmental influence, corporations will do the right thing. It is one of the biggest arguments I have heard from the Right in support of deregulating private businesses. Perhaps you should take a jaunt over to Moonbeam's board, visit the Politics and Markets section, and tell the conservatives therein that no, one should not expect them to do the right thing unless there is profit in it.

And there is rarely profit in doing the right thing. If there was, then this world wouldn't be half as unfair as you say it is.

But I'm not the "lay down and accept it" kind of person. When I see injustice and wrongs, I speak out against it. I may be powerless in any other capacity, but I'll be damned if I'll quietly and meekly "accept" that which we should not accept.

The world may not be fair, but that doesn't mean I have to champion it, and I certainly don't need to defend it.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:25 am

If you expect charity from a business, you will continually be disappointed...not because the business is doing anything wrong but because of your own flawed expectations.

And this leads back to the original post where Buchmann said that those who can not afford healthcare could rely on Charity but if 'Big' Business is unwilling or unable to provide that charity where will it come from?........

With all but a few exceptions those who could most afford to be charitable seem to be only interested in donating money to political figures and parties and as you have already intimated if there is nothing in it for those who can afford charitable works why do they give to politics other than to hbe the power behind the 'throne' so to speak?...

Perhaps the next question that should be asked is 'Why do people give to charity?'
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 am

astradt1 wrote:

And this leads back to the original post where Buchmann said that those who can not afford healthcare could rely on Charity but if 'Big' Business is unwilling or unable to provide that charity where will it come from?
One place from which it will not come is the air, as money doesn’t fall from the sky.

Quick history lesson: Discretionary income, from whence comes charity, did not exist prior to the industrial revolution and the concurrent rise of capitalism. Capitalism coupled with modern industrialism and its offshoots (including the electronics/communication revolution by which we communicate hereon), generates money in volumes unimaginable prior to the 19th Century.

It isn’t that capitalism didn’t exist until the 19th Century; it’s that the 19th Century enabled capitalism to expand such that our 21st Century world would be incomprehensible to an 18th Century human. If we were to dispose of capitalism, our world as we know it would collapse as our world’s economy imploded.

Capitalism, and economies fueled thereby, are the core of all of which we speak, including health care coverage of all stripes. A time machine journey to either 18th Century Britain or 19th Century America would reveal that no one had health coverage, not landowners, not nobility, not royalty, not even that crazy king that we “kicked out” 1775-1783. Without capitalism, health care coverage would disappear.

There’s y’all’s starting point. Y’all proceed on from that truth.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 am

QUOTE: Discretionary income, from whence comes charity, did not exist prior to the industrial revolution and the concurrent rise of capitalism.

Actually it did exist in substantial part due to the tithes voluntarily paid by Churchgoers, which were passed on to the deserving poor in the form of alms.

There is little in contemporary society which has no foundation in the past.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:00 pm

"What's funny is that this is precisely what conservatives think will happen. That, if left to their own devices free of governmental influence, corporations will do the right thing. It is one of the biggest arguments I have heard from the Right in support of deregulating private businesses" ~ Shirina

Define "doing the right thing".

Obviously, you think that it means that they will voluntarily distribute their earnings to those who hold no claim to them. To some, "doing the right thing" means looking out for the best interests of the business principals and those who've vested themselves into the business venture.

The fallacy of liberalism is that people are entitled to things which they have not earned and the withholding of these items from them by their rightful owners is immoral.
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:03 pm

oftenwrong wrote:
QUOTE: Discretionary income, from whence comes charity, did not exist prior to the industrial revolution and the concurrent rise of capitalism.

Actually it did exist in substantial part due to the tithes voluntarily paid by Churchgoers, which were passed on to the deserving poor in the form of alms.
Actually, it didn't exist.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Is that because it's not mentioned in the constitution?

astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:32 pm

company has no obligation to produce a "life saving drug" anymore than a company has an obligation to produce slinkys. I, unlike you, understand that life is not fair and that even though "good" can be done that you can't COMPEL people to "be good for goodness' sake", let alone corporations.

OZ

I think what Shirina is getting at (Though I would HATE to be seen to be speaking for the Lady) is that those companies treat the plebs as fodder, charging what they will, when times are good. When times turn bad or hard, they look to their friends in government (who may have/may not have recieved 'pleasures' from said companies). Both these factions treat the tax take as a personal purse. That the tax system is fed by the plebs in the first place is taken for granted! I have a thread on the Cancer strategies of big business and the links provided show what has been happening since the 1950s

At NO TIME do companies and Politicians act for the "Weal o' the Realm" - the good of the country, but for their own betterment. The Bankers are the epitamy of this example, getting themselves tied in knots, and DEMANDING tax dollar/pounds to bail them out, because they DESERVE such to happen! It seemed (from here in UK) acceptable to bail out Wall Street with billions of Tax$ but not ok to help the likes of General Motors!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

astradt1 wrote:

It's because it didn't exist.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:57 pm

RockOnBrother wrote:
astradt1 wrote:

It's because it didn't exist.

And your proof/evidence is?????
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Define "doing the right thing".

C'mon, Oz, let's not delve into defining the obvious. Companies who manufacture a life-saving drug have a moral responsibility to the people, a responsibility they CHOSE to accept when they decided to open their doors for business. They are not making Pet Rocks, bamboo steamers, or earrings. They are making a product that can literally condemn a person to death should that product be withheld. If the company can produce these drugs and still make a profit, NOT doing so is morally wrong.
Obviously, you think that it means that they will voluntarily distribute their earnings to those who hold no claim to them.

Your argument just took a wrong turn. Where did I say that they should voluntarily distribute their earnings? I haven't. These Pharma companies were selling these drugs and making a profit. They were not handing them out free of charge nor was producing the drugs putting the company at financial risk. The only reason why they decided to stop production is because they wanted MORE profit, and that is where the questionable morality comes into play.
To some, "doing the right thing" means looking out for the best interests of the business principals and those who've vested themselves into the business venture.

In this case, "doing the right thing" simply means being greedy.
The fallacy of liberalism is that people are entitled to things which they have not earned and the withholding of these items from them by their rightful owners is immoral.

You really need to get your argument back on track. You're talking about welfare here. I'm not. I'm talking about a business producing a life-saving product for a profit generated by the consumers who purchase them. Instead, these Pharma companies aren't happy with the profit they make from these drugs so they decided to focus their efforts on more profitable drugs. Could they do both? Of course. Hell, they could even expand, create some jobs, and make ALL of the drugs they are capable of producing.

But no. They just want to focus all of their energies on manufacturing the high-end drugs. To hell with the consumer.

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 pm

My argument is not off track...a company which manufactures a product has no "moral obligation" to produce it or continue to produce it beyond whether it is profitable to do so.

We are guaranteed the right to life...which means we are guaranteed that no one may deprive us of our life without due process. The right to life does not encompass the right to "quality of life" nor does it include the right to the extension of life through medicine.

There is NO moral obligation for a private, for-profit company to manufacture "life-saving" medications. If you want to vent your righteous indignation in an appropriate fashion, lobby that the government lay claim to the medication under the commerce clause and the general welfare stipulation and manufacture it at taxpayer expense.
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:56 pm

A time machine journey to either 18th Century Britain or 19th Century America would reveal that no one had health coverage, not landowners, not nobility, not royalty, not even that crazy king that we “kicked out” 1775-1783.

They didn't have it because they didn't need it. There was no such thing as kidney transplants, open heart surgery, or CAT scans. Even the ubiquitous X-ray machine did not begin appearing in doctors' offices until the early-mid 20th Century. The was no health care 'industry' and bartering was still a time-honored method of payment.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:05 pm

...a company which manufactures a product has no "moral obligation"

OK BUT!

These pharma, when they come up with a new drug, a new cure all (which Thalidomide was s'pposed to be) hail all the pundits and media machine, that they are the bestest, most caringest company on the planet. You are now saying that the co-decile "we may remove a few tried and tested reliable drugs from the market as they are now not profitable ENOUGH would be OK?
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:21 pm

My argument is not off track...a company which manufactures a product has no "moral obligation" to produce it or continue to produce it beyond whether it is profitable to do so.
That wasn't your argument. You were talking about whether companies should be giving away their products or having it confiscated - ostensibly by the government.
We are guaranteed the right to life...which means we are guaranteed that no one may deprive us of our life without due process.
Note how I said it was morally wrong not legally wrong. Corporations are not beholden to anything in the Constitution. They don't have to give anyone free speech; they don't have to give you a vote; they don't have to give due process, a trial, a jury, or even the right to face your accusers; and they don't have to give you life, liberty, or even the opportunity to pursue happiness.

AND because they don't have to, almost all of them don't. To me, that speaks volumes about the nature of business and the worship of the almighty Dollar.

Fact is, I'm not fooled. The government - the quintessential evil of our age if you believe the conservative hype - is very limited in what it can do. Corporations are not and aside from government regulations (which conservatives want to do away with) and the legal law (employers can't execute people, obviously), they can do what they wish. Because of that free pass, corporations are inherently fascist and dictatorial.

I find the willingness for a supposedly freedom-loving faction like conservatives to embrace authoritarianism and dictatorial policies in the workplace to be a rather bizarre dichotomy.

I just saw a post on another forum where conservatives are going ape over the FBI using facial recognition software to identify wanted criminals and potential terrorists. Oh, that's an invasion of our privacy! Big Brother is watching you! It's the evil gub'mint at it again!

Meanwhile, corporations are nosing around in your credit and financial histories, they're nosing around in your supposedly confidential medical information, and now they're nosing about in your social life by trolling social networking sites to see if you're behaving properly.

And the conservatives don't CARE! Well, if you want to ignore the 800 lb. gorilla, that's your prerogative. But if there is any freedom-curtailing nonsense coming from anywhere in this country, it's from the corporate world. Calling the transition to florescent light bulbs "tyranny" (as many have) while defending a company that will not hire or even fire you because of what you say on Facebook ... that makes no effing sense.

I still stand by what I said before. It is morally reprehensible that a company would allow untold numbers of people to go without life-saving drugs for the sake of bigger profits. Nothing will change my mind on that issue. Any individual or organization that has the power and capability to save a life and chooses not to is acting in an immoral fashion - and that goes double if the only reason why is to make a bigger buck.

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Seems to me that the Big Pharma worship the $ and £ and that their mindset is in Bushido!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm

QUOTE: Actually, it didn't exist..

For an American, nothing existed prior to the Declaration of Independence.

The History of the World is like the Old Testament. Bunk.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:57 pm

It really is amazing wot yer find on an innocent trawl through the net!

Al-Arafah Islami Bank Ltd Chairman Badiur Rahman distributes solar panels free to a person in Shahjadpur under Sirajganj yesterday. The bank donates free solar panels among poor people in the area who have school-going children in their families under its corporate social responsibility initiatives. Photo

"Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives!"
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/photo_gallery.php?pid=206484

It CAN be done, It IS being done, just not here - by here read USA & UK

astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next