Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by AwfulTruth on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have - seen and heard several. Am I crazy? monkey

There is a theory that most people believe they have had some kind of encounter with the dead - or whatever these things are.

It is also postulated that the dark matter in the universe may hold the key to a further dimension which may explain the spirit world. Quantum physics certainly opens the door to this strange idea, if we explore what Einstein expounded.

If you have had an experience please tell us what it was, where and when, etc. Then I will mention my own brush with the supernatural.

:affraid:

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina on Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 pm

All your theories are groundless nonsense.

LOL! Oh yes, I forgot ... you know everything there is to know about The Great Beyond. You have a holy book that gives you all the answers, and if it isn't in that book, then it must be "groundless nonsense." Right, got it.
Has man evolved [ his brain] in 150 years to enable him to do all those things and has his brain laid dormant for the other years.
Well ... about 150 years ago, religion stopped being the center of everyone's lives and science was allowed to advance. People weren't put under house arrest for saying the earth revolves around the sun nor were they burned at the stake for claiming there is life on other planets. *snicker* That's why.

I sometimes wonder how far we'd be if Rome had not fallen to barbarians and civilization continued on for another thousand years. But, instead we had the Dark Ages filled with religious superstition, abject poverty, petty kings, inquisitions, and horrific fear of being branded as a heretic. Perhaps literally branded ... with a red-hot poker.
The rapid increase in the inventions we have today is to fullfil the times prophecies indicated would be prelevant at the time of the worlds end as we know it.
Oh good grief, you're an apocalyptic believer. Yeah, so much for "free will" if humanity is shackled to a prophesy that *must* come to pass. I guess there's really no point in doing anything to better the world since it's doomed to fail no matter what choices we make. Why not just press the big red button and get the apocalypse started. No sense in waiting around.

Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue May 29, 2012 10:28 am

There are of course, religions which teach that everything is pre-ordained, that we can do nothing to change the course of our lives.

It's a handy cop-out for people who do bad things.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

A visitation that lasted for 9 hours

Post by agoodman on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 am

I just came across this thread and felt compelled to share something of my experience of 'ghosts' and aliens, and the insights I gained which make for plausible explanations.

I won't go into much detail here, at least not with this post as the experience was very long and I can't describe it all in writing. At least not tonight.

On the night of Tuesday September 13th 2005, from around 9pm until around 6am the following morning, I was visited in my bedroom by beings and entities from other realms and other dimensions who had come to show me who I am, who I have been and who I am still to become. I was reading on my bed at around 9pm when I noticed disturbances in my vision and hearing. There seemed to be a montage of movies being projected onto the wall opposite the bed, all with overlapping soundtracks. Some sounded familiar and I called out to my flatmate to look something up on the internet for me. She couldn't find the lyrics I was asking her to search for, so I thought I'd try recording my voice on my Nokia so I would remember what I was experiencing later. Unfortunately that model of phone could only record memos of a minute in length so I asked my flat mate to get my minidisc recorder and switch it on for me. She couldn't make it work and just left me in my room. She remembers this happening so I know I wasn't asleep, and I did check my phone the following day and the memo recording I made was timed at 9pm.

Once I was alone I felt there was a presence deliberately showing me these vague moving images on the wall opposite and I tried to communicate with it. I said, "turn up the sound I can't hear clearly" and a voiceless voice said "tune into it by relaxing your mind and just guess at what you're hearing. If you're relaxed your guess will be right." It seemed to make sense so I played with that for a while. However, at that point I noticed that the two bedside lights were blazing really brightly. They were so uncomfortable I had to turn them off. As soon as the light disappeared from the room, the whole space became filled with a plethora of beings and entities of all different shapes and sizes, some very human, some non-human and some just plain abstract! Some were transparent and ghostly and they told me that they were 'spirits' from what we call the after-life, although they don't think of themselves that way. I was told that they are human and live in a different level of reality from which they can see us but we can't normally see them. They went on to say that they can only interact with our physical reality in a very weak way, but it is possible with concerted effort. At one point in the night, I was given a 40th year MOT and service for my body (anal probe and all!) by an alien doctor or surgeon who sat and the end of my bed (he was little more than a brown torso with tiny spindly arms and legs) I was 'killed' and I left my room and journeyed for a while through the non-physical bardots. I had to justify my life as me, A. Goodman, to a presence that was with me, and eventually the presence said, "OK, you know there's no death now so you've nothing to fear. Go back into your body, go out into the world and WAKE EVERYBODY UP!" I appeared back in my body and my 'wounds' were sealed up by a flock of nanobots...

I'm gonna stop there coz this is sounding totally crazy, but it honestly is what I experienced in my awareness and it was as real as any mundane daily experience. At many times I was aware that it was MORE real. Quite a lot of the time I was seeing in super-hi-resolution vision, like the information from my eyes was completely unfiltered as it entered my awareness, and I marvelled many times about how utterly sharp and crisp everything around my room looked... I was aware of incredible detail in all that I looked at.

You may wonder why I didn't totally freak out with all this going on. My psyche is in very good order, I'm very open minded and I have much experience of exploring altered state of consciousness.

This is where my first clues came from that have brought me to some kind of 'super-rational' understanding of what happened to me that night. Although I had no drugs in my system that night, there was a great familiarity about what was going on. Some of the entities that popped in, quite literally, and popped out of existence again appeared to be 3-dimensional versions of the entities who show often themselves when one smokes concentrated Dimethyltryptamine, DMT. I also had many telepathic exchanges with beings that night where they projected very clear pictures into my head because I couldn't hear their voices clearly enough. These two things struck me and I've since realised that my pineal gland must have activated. The pineal, at the centre of the brain, if you don't know, is a small gland shaped like a pine cone and which has a similar structure to the human eye, including the eye's photon receivers, rods and cones. The pineal is known to secrete DMT and several betacarbolines including pinoline. These two native chemical transmitters are basically what makes up the Amazonian shamanic brew Ayahuasca, used for centuries if not millenia to allow access to the shamanic and 'spiritual' realms. I believe my third eye opened for that night and that night alone and allowed me to see and communicate with conscious beings in other realities or other parts of the Universe or other periods of time.

I still don't really know why I had this experience, but it was deeply meaningful. I've said some unbelievable stuff here, and I don't expect anyone to believe me. I never honestly believed other people who told such stories until after that night. Then I took stories like mine much more seriously. Of course, what I saw and heard were for my eyes and ears only. If my flatmate had've come into my room during the night she wouldn't have seen anything, but then, what we think of as reality 'out there' is not actually real. It is real, but only virtually real. In truth each of us is just one point of view of the One Unified Consciousness that is All-That-Is. As I've pointed out elsewhere on this forum, space, time and matter are secondary to consciousness, products of it. Each of us is an individuation of OUC in our own bubble of a '3-dimensional, 5 sensory virtual reality' which generally corresponds to other bubbles in the same way as virtual enironments experienced by players of World of Warcraft-like online games do, but which can contain very different and real phemomena others can't see.

Whatever we may eventually understand about phenomena like ghosts and UFO's etc, I'm sure it will all make perfect rational sense once our paradigm, our understanding of the nature of reality shifts and deepens. There is so much more to Life than there appears to be. Surely we've learned our lesson about that? And yet the mainstream paradigm is arse-about-face. We've got reality outside-in, whereas in fact, its inside-out!

agoodman

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:35 pm

"The mind-body problem, i.e. the relationship of the mind to the body, is commonly seen as the central issue in philosophy of mind, although there are other issues concerning the nature of the mind that do not involve its relation to the physical body".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Do you believe ghosts exist and what are they?

Post by Tosh on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:34 pm

I never meet anyone who has seen a ghost anymore, this phenomena seems to be dying out and I wonder why ?

Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivnail on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:27 am

I do not believe that there is life after death, a spirit world, or ghosts.

...however, I always feel a tiny but uncomfortable saying/typing so, lest I piss one of them off.

Damn it!

Anyway, harking back to the early part of the thread, and sleep paralysis, aye, I've had my share of that. Or 'sleep demons' as some have tried to convince me as I recounted the experiences. "Er, no, sleep paralysis." I've usually said. Still, some scary stuff... the brain can be a right little bastard when the fancy takes it.
I remember once, as a teenager, waking, sort of, quite unable to take the deep breath I felt was needed, or to move my limbs. I remember falling out of bed in an impotent panic, crawling, rolling, slithering, or something of the sort, across the floor (as it turns out, I didn't get as far as I perceived... inches rather than feet, 'cause, y'know, paralysis), and limply attempting to reach up from my prostate position to grasp the door-handle, only for it to turn inexplicably upwards, out of my grip, and for some ghastly shape behind me to take me by the ankles and pull me back, and down. At that point, I was pretty peeved about having been allowed to quit Sunday school and dodge my confirmation.

Then, at some point, I found myself still paralysed, lying on the floor, about where I'd expect to have been if the floor hadn't opened up under me as perceived. Eventually, of course, I was able to move again, and before long had progressed cognitively from, "Oh, eff, the Otherworld is scary!" to, "Damn, the brain is cool! And a wee bastard!"

Recounting the most traumatic/dramatic of my sleep-paralysis stories probably wasn't the best idea given whatever the hell I was trying to convey. Most often I've just woken short of breath, with the sensation of vulnerability, impotence (not that kind, damn it! Well, come to think of it, I'm not sure), and the overbearing malevolence of some possibly non-corporeal entity looming over me.

Why on earth this is such a common human interpretation of sleep paralysis I'm not sure, but I certainly don't believe in the succubus! I mean, I don't really know how f-ing magnets do work, but that doesn't mean I believe that an all-powerful sky-imp did it.

"In other words, if one person bangs on your door and tells you that a UFO is hanging over your house, you could dismiss it. But if 20 or 30 people independently tell you the same, it might (and should) cause you to at least step outside and investigate for yourself. Unfortunately, when dealing with such mysteries, many skeptics dismiss them with the same amount of tangible evidence that believers possess, which is to say: zero. Unless one can prove that a particular ghost encounter was a lie, hoax, or hallucination, then the encounter is exactly what it should be - a mystery. To draw a conclusion without evidence is just as disingenuous for a skeptic as it is for a believer."

Hrm... to be honest, if one person told me there was a UFO over my house, I'd probably do a quick assessment of the probability that this may be a precursor to a home invasion, and then step outside to have a look.

If, however, someone told me there was an alien space-ship or the ghost of a Cavalier on my chimney-pot, I'd probably remind them to take their special power potions for defensive purposes (they, hopefully, being prescribed anti-psychotics).

Then again, I may just be biased against my immediate neighbours. At least '20 or 30' of them either voted Tory, UKIP, BNP, or not at all (judging by the results and preceding propaganda).

Naw, in short... when I were younger, I thought I'd seen ghosts (in my sleep, in my dad's garage, on a school trip to York), and was so convinced that it, well, for want of a better word, haunted me for years... but now I just don't see any cause for believing a bit of it.
Chivnail

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:44 pm

I do not believe that there is life after death, a spirit world, or ghosts. ...however, I always feel a tiny but uncomfortable saying/typing so, lest I piss one of them off.

I have watched numerous documentaries demonstrating how unreliable our senses and minds are, we are extremely susceptible to illusion, delusion and hallucination, our mind is an observer and most times it is guessing and filling in the blanks.

Auto suggestion is environment driven, its why we don't see ghosts in the middle of the day at our local shopping mall. What I can never get an answer to, is what exactly is a ghost ?

If our consciousness does survive after death then you aint going to be able to see it, and if we can see them then why are they always wearing clothes ?

Am I to assume our spirit dresses for the occassion ?

Its just primitive superstition, just like witches etc.

Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm

never saw a ghost, but did have an unexplained incident when viewing my current home.
As I entered the main reception room, I clearly heard a voice saying 'oh good, you've arrived, sit down'
I did, and, despite the very dilapidated condition of the house decided to put in an offer as I felt very welcome in the house. The estate agent with me heard and saw nothing and in fact tried very hard to put me off the property, which he felt was gloomy, cold and unwelcoming.
I have lived here for 12 years, always very happy.
I later found out the previous owner was born in the house and died following an accident aged 90, having spent most of her life in the house.
I don't know if this counts as a psychic experience, or even if there is such a thing, but I've never been happier in any other place.
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm

I have 2 unexplained experiences. I don't say that they are ghostly, but they happened as I will describe them and to date I have no satisfactory explanation.

The first was when I was 15 or 16. I lived in my parents' small, terraced house along with my 2 brothers. The front room of the house was more or less completely occupied by a 6ft snooker table that was our chief source of home entertainment.

The table was fairly basic, with nets for pockets, which used to fill up once you'd potted 3 balls in the same pocket. So we used to empty the pockets when necessary and put them along the fireplace that was to one side of the table.

My brother and I got into a row about something (no idea now what it was). At one point, I got so p***ed off with him that I screamed at him 'SHUT UP!!'.

Right at that point, one of the snooker balls from the fireplace, a good 5 or so feet from us, flew from the fireplace across the room and hit the opposite wall with a loud 'CRACK'.

I have no idea what caused it - but it certainly stopped the argument dead!

The 2nd was when I was alone in the back room of the house where I live now. I was on a sofa at one end of the room, and at the other end was an empty armchair. I was reading, when - very clearly - I heard a deep groan from the direction of the empty armchair.

It certainly caught my attention (!), but didn't feel frightening at all. That was about 20 years ago, and I've never heard or sensed anything else.
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Shirina

Just got around to reading your ghost story (I've been out a lot) - it's like something from Stephen King - what a story teller!
Really hope you have more stories to tell
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by starlight07 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 pm

I've heard strange sounding noises. Thought they were the ghosts playing about.
starlight07

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Religion in no way disputes the existance of spirits, both evil and otherwise and there are far too many examples of people dabbling in such matters and being frightened out of their wits not to appreciate the fact.
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

"Religion in no way disputes the existance of spirits, both evil and otherwise...."

Well obviously not.

Any other breathtaking revelations where that came from, polyglide?
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Regarding eternal life, that is about the only part of the Bible I actually believe, only not in the same context as the biblical meaning, My belief is that my ancestors life continues within me, and will go on in my children and so on. Its all to do wiv the Levi's.
I do not and can not believe there is a Heaven or a hell let alone a room called purgatory, put aside where The Big G can make up his mind as to the permanent housing all these spirits/souls. When I see a ghost I will believe in them, until then for me they are simply for the story book.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

'Its all to do wiv the Levi's.'

Do you mean the jeans?
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Leveson?
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

If you do not believe it try it and see.
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

polyglide wrote:Religion in no way disputes the existance of spirits, both evil and otherwise and there are far too many examples of people dabbling in such matters and being frightened out of their wits not to appreciate the fact.
I do  wish theists would not bandy the word fact around without due deference. Now could you point to two scientific papers establishing the existence of ANYTHING metaphysical, that have been published in scientific journals worthy of note, and peer reviewed thus validating their  conclusions.

Take your time.....Wink
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 am

polyglide wrote:If you do not believe it try it and see.
If I do not believe what, try what and see? scratch If this is Marmite again.....No 
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 am

Shirina wrote:First, allow me to set the scene.

The incident took place in a castle-like building that once housed the criminally psychotic.....
I count myself as a sceptic but that's a good story nonetheless.
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:30 pm

polyglide wrote:Religion in no way disputes the existance of spirits,

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:No indeed, I have a kitchen cupboard full of them.

On another note you might consider using a spell checker.

both evil and otherwise and there are far too many examples of people dabbling in such matters and being frightened out of their wits not to appreciate the fact.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Well, stupid ignorant and suggestible people often are frightened without cause.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't believe in ghosts, despite the imaginative stories. Some people are more sensitive and susceptible than others, or suffer varying degrees of psychosis. My dear mother often experienced ghostly visitations and UFO's, my Mormon sister is convinced she saw the angel Moroni, but in all these years on planet earth I've never once seen or experienced anything ghostly. I'll get back to you if I ever do, however. Wink 
Kazza

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 pm

We went on holiday to a seaside village in Devon in late autumn, and one night whilst we were there we decided to go for a stroll before bedtime. As we strolled along the beach a fog came down so quickly, you could hardly see your hand in front of your face. Everywhere we went we had a creapy feeling of being followed, and the crunching of the autumnal leaves seemed to echo. They seemed to get LOUDER AND LOUDER, then a strange sound of bells also got LOUDER AND LOUDER and suddenly it was upon us!!!! yep the fish and chip van.gotcha!!!
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Doh! Good one stu.Laughing 
Kazza

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Kazza.lol! 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Well Kazza, you gotta have a laugh when talking about ghosties and ghoulies and long legged beasties and things that go bump in the night.stirpot 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

stu wrote: Well Kazza, you gotta have a laugh when talking about ghosties and ghoulies and long legged beasties and things that go bump in the night.stirpot 
Well now, I'm watching the film The Crucible, it's based on the witch hunts in New England in the 17th century, not that long ago by all accounts. Witch hunts and executions driven by ignorance and superstition, and of course sanctioned by the church who genuinely believed that witches were real and in league with the devil.

Oh I know it's fanciful nonsense, but they believed, and more importantly more than one theist on here has stated plainly they believe people are being manipulated by the devil, Polyglide springs to mind. So perhaps these discussions are not quite as funny as we might think.

Here's a list of women executed for being witches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_for_witchcraft

Here's a story of a boy killed for being a witch in 2012....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/pair-jailed-for-witch-boy-murder-7537120.html

We often don't take people this ignorant seriously, but I don't really see much difference between believing in "ghosts" and believing in witches, both claims have the same validity as they have the zero empirical evidence to support them.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 am

I do not know about ghosts but I am certain there are a few idiots about.
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:09 pm

polyglide wrote:I do not know about ghosts but I am certain there are a few idiots about.
Anyone in the 21st century who claims the existence of something metaphysical for which they can provide no empirical evidence, is not exhibiting much intelligence.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:17 pm

polyglide wrote:I do not know about ghosts but I am certain there are a few idiots about.
Don't be so hard on yourself. We're all here to learn.
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Now Now Dan, spilling my tea with laughter:lol: Laughing very good reply
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:
stu wrote: Well Kazza, you gotta have a laugh when talking about ghosties and ghoulies and long legged beasties and things that go bump in the night.stirpot 
Well now, I'm watching the film The Crucible, it's based on the witch hunts in New England in the 17th century, not that long ago by all accounts. Witch hunts and executions driven by ignorance and superstition, and of course sanctioned by the church who genuinely believed that witches were real and in league with the devil.

Oh I know it's fanciful nonsense, but they believed, and more importantly more than one theist on here has stated plainly they believe people are being manipulated by the devil, Polyglide springs to mind. So perhaps these discussions are not quite as funny as we might think.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/pair-jailed-for-witch-boy-murder-7537120.html

We often don't take people this ignorant seriously,  but I don't really see much difference between believing in "ghosts" and believing in witches, both claims have the same validity as they have the zero empirical evidence to support them.
I studied that at school. It's supposed to be a comment on McCarthyism as well although it's based on actual events too.
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 pm

He was a wierd guy himself was he not Dan.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Dan Fante wrote:
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:

We often don't take people this ignorant seriously,  but I don't really see much difference between believing in "ghosts" and believing in witches, both claims have the same validity as they have the zero empirical evidence to support them.
I studied that at school.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's supposed to be a comment on McCarthyism as well although it's based on actual events too.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD wrote:Similar kind of hysteria about witches, in the film anyway, as was undoubtedly exhibited in the McCarthy era towards communism and communists. Socialism and left wing politics still seems to be greeted with a fair amount of hysteria, by some Americans.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:24 pm

stu wrote:He was a wierd guy himself was he not Dan.
Stu, I'm not sure if you're referring to McCarthy or Arthur Miller (the playwright). I know the latter got his mitts on Marilyn Monroe though so fair play to him.
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Referring to McCarthy Dan, Arthur did very well. Very Happy 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Dan Fante wrote:I count myself as a sceptic but that's a good story nonetheless.
I'm pretty skeptical myself, and believe me, I've tried every which-way to come up with a "scientific" explanation.

I put "scientific" in quotes because, if ghosts do exist, I'm confident that there will be a scientific explanation - perhaps bizarre rips in the walls that separate the various dimensions or similar parallel universes. I go along with what Dr. Brian Greene said once: "There's no such thing as the paranormal, just things that science hasn't explained yet."
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm still very happy in my house.
More than one person (independently) has asked me if I'm aware of the old lady in the back bedroom. I'm not, but because others have mentioned her I'm prepared to concede something may still linger.
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Boatlady, good afternoon, there are supposedly many ways to find out if these things are true or not, why not try one of them if you are that interested. If not just forget about it.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:10 pm

There is likely a reasonable explanation for most of these things. I remember being at Fountain Abbey in Yorkshire and seeing a monk dressed up in long robes and hood standing in a doorway. I was convinced there was a person there but I took a step to take a picture of him and realised it was the play of sun and shadow and my brain trying to make out what it was. We are easily fooled and we like to believe that such things are possible. They may very well be possible but the evidence to date is nil.
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:32 pm

That's just it, I don't think the evidence is "nil."

Essentially, it is the same standard of evidence people place on UFOs, as well.

Here's an example: If the police were to find a large pool of blood, a bloody knife, signs of a struggle, and signs of forced entry, the police are going to conclude that a murder - or at the very least a kidnapping - took place. There's no body, per se, and no ransom note, so there isn't a smoking gun, but the probability is very high that a crime of some sort took place.

However, with certain subjects that the media, especially, has taught us to scorn, no amount of evidence is sufficient to even consider the possibility that ghosts or UFOs may exist, much less prove that they do. In this case, the blood pool, bloody knife, and signs of struggle and forced entry aren't good enough pieces of evidence to even bother considering that a crime took place, much less trying to investigate the scene.

There is too much of a "giggle factor" when it comes to some of these issues, and the media only publicizes the stories/videos/pictures that are easily debunked - which, of course, lends one to the conclusion that all of these stories/videos/pictures are easily debunked. It is also a well known truism about UFOs that the media won't run a story about them unless they can add a silly joke somewhere within the report in order to ensure people don't take it too seriously.

As for ghosts, well ... I have to say that Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) is some of the best evidence for the consideration of the existence of ghosts. In the case of EVPs, all of them are hoaxes or they are real. There is no "in between," there is no possibility of mistaking it for something else (like light and shadow playing with your mind). The voices exist, they are saying words, so it's either an exceeding widespread hoax (with no profit in doing so) or they really do come from ghosts of some kind.

I know most atheists chalk up ghosts as part of the whole spiritual issue that we tend not to believe. BUT ... the problem with this sort of rejection is that we don't even know what ghosts are. They don't necessarily have to be the spirits/souls of dead people. The more science begins to understand the ramifications of multiple and parallel universes, other dimensions, etc., then I think the answer to ghosts lies in that direction, not a spiritual one. The ghosts we see just might be images of actual living people, but we are simply viewing them through a tear or rip in the walls that separate other dimensions from our own.

Yeah, we can get really esoteric when talking about this kind of thing, and it's all speculation no matter how much science we bring into the discussion. I just think that people tend to dismiss evidence out of hand when it comes to these sorts of "paranormal" subjects. Too bad ... because I think they could be explained scientifically if we ever bothered to try.
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum