Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by AwfulTruth on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have - seen and heard several. Am I crazy? monkey

There is a theory that most people believe they have had some kind of encounter with the dead - or whatever these things are.

It is also postulated that the dark matter in the universe may hold the key to a further dimension which may explain the spirit world. Quantum physics certainly opens the door to this strange idea, if we explore what Einstein expounded.

If you have had an experience please tell us what it was, where and when, etc. Then I will mention my own brush with the supernatural.

:affraid:

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 pm

stu wrote:No vicar Dan, Laughing it doesn't, wish I had someone like a partner,so we could nag each other if we lit up etc.Rolling Eyes  It would be a big help all round.
Each time you think like that imagine the face of your daughter scolding you because she loves you more than you love her.

Hard, yes. Not easy words but they might help you a hell of a lot. On the other hand I don't want to upset you.....

Heretic

Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:44 am

It must hurt Stu, to see someone else seeing your daughter grow up and become a young lady, however, there is no way he will enjoy knowing that he is not the father of the child and that is the main thing.
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Thank-you heretic and polyglide for your words, and poly glide nice words thank-you.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:39 pm

stu wrote:Thank-you heretic and polyglide for your words, and poly glide nice words thank-you.
I don't want to upset you but if doing so inspires you then so be it.

Peace

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:44 pm

stu wrote:Hi Sheldon, at least I try with my brain mate,Laughing my no smoking is at the moment failing Sheldon i'm afraid.  I awoke in tears monday night and did not sleep at all, due to my dreaming of my not being able to take my daughter out for days out but mum and step-dad can. niether does she stay over at my place etc,and it just got on top of me.
Sorry to hear that buddy. Well addiction of this sort is always going to be difficult to kick, but I am still rooting for you, and hoping things improve with your daughter.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank-you friends Heretic and Sheldon, just going through a rough patch. It's at times like these that you need your friends to turn to, as they are tearful again. Just that i'm starting to build up a good relationship with my daughter, and I guess you call it jealousy on my behalf and it hurts.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:18 pm

stu, better to be jealous of a loving step-dad than worried about an abusive or uncaring step-dad, try and be happy she is being loved by 3 people instead of only two.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:24 pm

stu wrote:Thank-you friends Heretic and Sheldon, just going through a rough patch. It's at times like these that you need your friends to turn to, as they are tearful again. Just that i'm starting to build up a good relationship with my daughter, and I guess you call it jealousy on my behalf and it hurts.
Everything real hurts, why that is I just don't know. There are times my children need their Mother but all they have is me. I may be many things but I am not a Mother. Love fills the gaps in our lives, whatever we have missing inside of us somehow shows up just when we need it. There is no magic to this it is just called being human. In the last few years each of my children has needed me to be somebody different and because I am all they have I try my best and somehow that is enough.

Stu, never get so hung up about the past and the future that you forget about actually living today.

Be strong but remember that the reed that does not bend breaks.

Enjoy your time with your Daughter.

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 pm

I am also so glad that I have friends here that I can talk to, and let out my worries and get sensible answers. Once again thank-you Heretic and also Tosh for your kind and sensible words of support.Sad 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart t on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi folks good old stu here having problems with his computer, registered again  and got it working but alas not allowed two accounts even though one or two dont work:lol:so going to have to figure a way of going back to my original names etc from when Ijoined ages ago, and trying to find my email and password from then is impossible.headbang so try my best to be posting to you all asap.
stuart t

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:59 pm

stuart t wrote:Hi folks good old stu here having problems with his computer,
I know that feeling, I was trying to do something earlier this week and somehow managed to fry a 1Tb drive and I'm dammed lucky all my important data was backed up (being in IT for 25 years breeds good habits).

stuart t wrote:registered again  and got it working but alas not allowed two accounts even though one or two dont work:lol:so going to have to figure a way of going back to my original names etc from when Ijoined ages ago,
Having a datafile somewhere with all this kind of stuff on pays dividends (that's not an "I told you so" just a strategy for the future [can be just a piece of paper hidden in a book suitably encrypted of course]). I have a friend that kept all his passwords etc in a document in root named "Document 1.doc" and the data inside was white text on white paper, worked for him

stuart t wrote: and trying to find my email and password from then is impossible.headbang so try my best to be posting to you all asap.
Was it webmail? or bog standard ISP? you never know someone might be able to help, you never know until you ask, Sharina seems approachable (try a private message though).

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Found it Heretic in my book/diary, just have a new password now, cannot fix the amazon part yet though,til tomorrow, then will have someone telling me what to do as it is their fault. Laughing 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

stuart torr wrote:Found it Heretic in my book/diary, just have a new password now, cannot fix the amazon part yet though,til tomorrow, then will have someone telling me what to do as it is their fault. Laughing 
Well done, a piece of paper just can't be hacked.

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Now you would not be telling me off there Heretic would you?Rolling Eyes 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 pm

stuart torr wrote:Now you would not be telling me off there Heretic would you?Rolling Eyes 
The fact that you still had some of your old data hanging around makes you beyond reproach, compared to many. However I feel that you might be a louder advocate for backing up data in the future.

Peace

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Sorry for being late in replying Heretic, been answering a post of shirinas. Yes I have been thinking what to do and where to put them with regards to passwords etc, a lot I already have in my head, but a lot of places now want more difficult ones, so harder to keep in the old brainbox.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 am

stuart torr wrote:Sorry for being late in replying Heretic, been answering a post of shirinas. Yes I have been thinking what to do and where to put them with regards to passwords etc, a lot I already have in my head, but a lot of places now want more difficult ones, so harder to keep in the old brainbox.
I recently thought I lost a lot because the drive I stored everything on died but when I logged back into google chrome it had remembered all my settings including passwords. Just an idea.

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:45 pm

I may seem a little unkind at times but that is because I realy want to enable all to consider alternatives rather than be a pussy cat in attempting to bring faith into your lives.

Faith can move mountains and so can natural causes, however, the former does so in a nice way and gives help and peace of mind to thousands of people.

You will find it is usually those with very little who find faith is a healing agent and also it gives a meaning to life.

If you believe in evolution then there is no meaning to life whatsoever.
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:23 pm

polyglide wrote:...Faith can move mountains...
No it can't. thumbsdown That takes, at the very least, men with pick axes and shovels. thumbsup It always amuses me when this old saw is trotted out. Whenever a project succeeds it is because the people had faith - I often wonder whether the money, the organisation and the time and effort did not have more to do with it myself. Smile  Then again when a project fails this becomes a lack of faith. God was not on their side. Crying or Very sad  Strange how it is never because the project was simply badly thought through, unnecessary or simply wrong headed. Very Happy

Bellatori
Banned

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Heretic mate, buying a new computer should arrive thursday or friday,so I'VE GOT TO GET ALL MY INFO FROM THIS ONE ONTO THAT ONE AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH. I know enough about computers to work my way around them, but I am no expert by any means. Laughing 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:11 pm

polyglide wrote:If you believe in evolution then there is no meaning to life whatsoever.
And what "meaning" does your faith bring to our lives, polyglide? The only "meaning" I see is blind obedience to a celestial dictator, a divine tyrant. It is volunteering to wear eternal shackles, to be chained forever in the dungeons of servitude and slavery. The only "meaning" your faith offers is being a pet to an egomaniac deity, to become beings without our own will, purpose, or desires. Yes, your faith offers you a "great" reward in the afterlife - a place with no sickness, no sadness, and no pain. That way, we will be forever healthy enough to prostrate ourselves at God's feet, so that our voice never goes hoarse as we eternally bleat out praises, so that our backs never ache as we eternally kneel and bow and scrape. What kind of "meaning" is that?

What's worse is that your faith robs you of what really matters in this life. To suggest that there is no meaning without God is to say that your children are worthless, that your marriage is pointless, that all of your good deeds may as well not have been done without a God to smile down upon it all and nod his megalomaniacal approval. Your family, your friends, your life (and theirs) have no intrinsic value, that all worthiness comes from the whimsical judgment of an omni-angry God.

Where you see "kindness" and "perfect love," I see atrocity, tyranny, and a moral bankruptcy unlike any that has ever been conceived.
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Shirina, you have posted a very good answer to polygliide's quote, where when I actually read it, I believed it required no answer. Due to the quote being utterly and totally meaningless.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44 pm

If you believe in evolution then there is no meaning to life whatsoever.
Tell that to mainstream Christianity you half wit, your ignorance of religion is just as mind blowing as your ignorance of science and philosophy, you should be living in a cave.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Don't give him too many comforts Tosh. Laughing 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

stuart torr wrote:Heretic mate, buying a new computer should arrive thursday or friday,so I'VE GOT TO GET ALL MY INFO FROM THIS ONE ONTO THAT ONE AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH. I know enough about computers to work my way around them, but I am no expert by any means. Laughing 
Don't worry about being an expert. In my mind ex-spurts used to be drips.

:->>

Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm

not only that Heretic this one is fixed now, what a #####
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

stu,

If the Vatican can accept evolution then any one can, although their theological compromise is almost as confusing as the Trinity in a monotheistic religion. Seemingly God created everything material in accordance with accepted scientific evidence( inc evolution) but not the soul, this was non-materially created by God only for us. In effect God created evolution and once homo sapiens evolved he created a soul for us as his children. Rather a long winded and curious manufacturing process if you ask me, did God really have to use 2 billion years of brutal tooth and claw natural selection to make us?

Having said this, theistic evolution is one of the best examples of goodness and the concept of God being one and the same: as products of our environment the mere idea of a God of Morality created the goodness that makes us special. Whether a God actually exists is irrelevant to the well informed theologian of the 21 st century, religion is basically selling morality as a spiritual concept, with the prize of immortality as a  loyalty bonus. At the end of the day the ultimate goodness of doing no harm and doing good, is a worthy purpose regardless of its author.

Last edited by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Ever wonder why creationists resent intellectuals so much?

God created everyone equal, this gave all the masses an equal worth in the eyes of God, your wealth, intelligence or status on earth did not count, it was only actions that mattered. A poor slave could go to heaven and a rich King could go to hell, the first shoots of universal human rights, everyone was judged EQUALLY.

Creationists see science as a threat to their sense of equality, and of course they are mistaken.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Tosh wrote:everyone was judged EQUALLY.
Since the only requirement to get into heaven is believing in and loving God, who really cares about our actions? In effect, there's nothing to judge aside from: Did you mean it when you asked for forgiveness? Otherwise, hey, murder and rape and steal all you want just as long as you ask for forgiveness.

I can tell you that Heaven will be filled to capacity with pedophiles and baby rapers since most of them are genuinely sorry for what they do.

But then again, pedophilia isn't a sin, now, is it. Nope. Since it was okay to marry and have sex with 9 year-olds back in the Bronze Age, Heaven will probably supply children for pedos to fiddle with as part of their reward for belief.
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I like the symmetry between our original great thinkers and Darwin, Creation was patterned from natural creation as an explanation for all life, and Darwin patterned common ancestry from natural evolution within species. Our brain copies, models, mirrors and forms patterns out of the experiences it absorbs, that is why there is no such thing as an original thought, even thinking is pure cause and effect.

I suppose Adam could have been the very first human to become self aware, cognizant of his own existence, " I am that I am ", which I believe was an answer given by God.

Maybe God is simply self awareness.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:18 pm

Seemingly God gave us free will, we choose and we are in control of our thoughts, but how is this possible if there is no such thing as original thought, one chooses for reasons, and it is these reasons that cause the choice, if the choice is caused then its not made freely in the technical sense. There is not some ghost in the machine unaffected and untouched by our sub conscious, our memory and our genes.

We are products of nature/nurture, but maintain the delusion of free will as a social and spiritual necessity.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 am

Tosh wrote:... In effect God created evolution and once homo sapiens evolved he created a soul for us as his children. ...
Actually, Tosh, this acceptance of evolution causes its own problems. It implies that at some instant of time there was a mother without a soul who gave birth to a child who had a soul. Philosophically this is very difficult to deal with unless you say that everything has a soul. One might ask which 'man' first had a soul in the genus homo.

Ironically this makes life more difficult for theists because it raises even more problems Smile In some ways blanket denial and an appeal to faith is a simpler and more secure strategy Smile

Bellatori
Banned

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 am

Bellatori,

No argument, theistic evolution is a hodge podge of thoughts, none of which make much sense, as you say the addition of a soul some 100,000 years ago requires a virgin mum( no soul) giving birth to a son with a soul, sound familiar?

What they cannot accept is our " soul " ( self awareness) also evolved gradually, and is present in a very primitive form in some social mammals ( mirror test), it is likely self awareness was the final piece of an awareness jigsaw compiled by hominids over two million years. There are some who believe abstract cave art( hand signatures) and burial customs are both indicators of our final development.

What I want to know is why God made and then destroyed dinosaurs to facilitate human evolution, if the dinosaurs were an obstacle why make them in the first place?
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Tosh you know and I know god did not make dinosaurs. It is evolution and they were part of it, they were eliminated by the more modern man as he came along and evolved. It is the only reasonable explanation.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 pm

stu,

Large dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago, probably due to climate change, some small dinosaurs evolved into birds( raptors), hominids in any form only evolved 2-3 million years ago.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Shows you what I know mate eh. Laughing 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:35 pm

lol, yes stu, The Flintstones is not a documentary.
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Isn't it? are you sure Tosh. Wink 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Have you heard of this before, Stu? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania. That would've been a bit like encountering a dinosaur and it's entirely possible that aboriginals would have come across them, given they were probably both on the Australian continent at the same time for several thousand years.
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Big buggers were they not Dan, it would take a few aboriginal spears to bring one of those down would it not. Mind you if they did manage it would be plenty of food for a while. stirpot 
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Some barbecue, eh, Stu?
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down