Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by AwfulTruth on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have - seen and heard several. Am I crazy? monkey

There is a theory that most people believe they have had some kind of encounter with the dead - or whatever these things are.

It is also postulated that the dark matter in the universe may hold the key to a further dimension which may explain the spirit world. Quantum physics certainly opens the door to this strange idea, if we explore what Einstein expounded.

If you have had an experience please tell us what it was, where and when, etc. Then I will mention my own brush with the supernatural.

:affraid:

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

Posts : 318
Join date : 2011-11-16
Location : Cambridgeshire

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down


Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Norm Deplume on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm

That's why we have to keep pointing it out to him, Stu, in the hope that it might sink in someday.

Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Laughing Laughing 
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:57 pm

There are none so blind as those who cannot see.

I have bred many animals over the past 70 odd years and I can assure you that when a mutation or better put a cripple is born through either a bad gene etc. or other unatural malfunctions relative to the reproduction system they die and have no chance whatsoever of meeting their like to produce another species..

Tell me from what the butterfy evolved. or a clear and verifiable example, from start to finish of any other living thing.

Of course there will be animals and all other forms of life that have very similar DNA etc.

Take a baker, he starts with a ton of flour and bakes hundreds of different cakes, none can be called the same but all come from flour and could be traced back to that product.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Actually, you can make a cake without flour.
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Of course the meaning is lost on those who do not understand reality.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

I understood what you were trying to say, it was a poor analogy being used to try and back up something for which there is no evidence though, i.e. creationism. Unless you actually think baking a cake is analogous to creating every living thing in the universe to a master plan (and even if you do the point about lack of evidence still stands).
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 pm

The evidence is all around you, the trees, the mountains. all the animal life etc;

Evolution iis based on that which has been left behind over past decades etc;

I as a young person worked down a coal mine for two years, the NCB offered the best prospects for further education etc;

Now the mine was over one mile deep.

One mile from the surface of the earth.

Coal is derived from trees.

Now in the one mile between the coal and the surface there may be numerous examples of life, including man as he now is.



avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Laughing
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:20 pm

polyglide wrote:they die and have no chance whatsoever of meeting their like to produce another species..

Natural selection is going to produce both good and bad mutations - those with bad mutations die off because that is exactly how evolution works. The idea is NOT to pass along bad genes to the next generation, so if cripples and the like do not live to reproduce, evolution is working precisely as it is supposed to.

polyglide wrote:Take a baker, he starts with a ton of flour and bakes hundreds of different cakes, none can be called the same but all come from flour and could be traced back to that product.

An all-powerful God could bake a cake using motor oil, titanium, and sarin gas if he wanted and still produce a yummy cake. To suggest that God HAD to use the same materials for all life is placing limitations on your omnipotent deity. Therefore, life having the same carbon base and comprising of similar DNA does not prove creation; in fact, it detracts from its possibility.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Shirina wrote:Natural selection is going to produce both good and bad mutations - those with bad mutations die off because that is exactly how evolution works. The idea is NOT to pass along bad genes to the next generation, so if cripples and the like do not live to reproduce, evolution is working precisely as it is supposed to.

Cripples and their like do now survive to the point where they can reach adulthood and beyond and do now reproduce. Evolution as far as mankind is concerned is over for the most part as far as non-fatal illnesses and disabilities go. If we do evolve further it will need to include those that might once of been considered for eugenics programs. I don't know if genetic therapies will be found that treat these conditions or if test-tube babies for "at risk couples" will weed out children with high chance of disability though this might create as many (moral)problems as (physical)problems it solves.

Shirina wrote:An all-powerful God could bake a cake using motor oil, titanium, and sarin gas if he wanted and still produce a yummy cake. To suggest that God HAD to use the same materials for all life is placing limitations on your omnipotent deity. Therefore, life having the same carbon base and comprising of similar DNA does not prove creation; in fact, it detracts from its possibility.

I don't know the state of play over this at the moment but there bacteria found in a lake in California that instead of having a carbon frame for its DNA had one based on arsenic instead, I read about this in a New Scientist magazine a few years ago. I no longer have the magazine as I gave it away with a few others about a year ago.

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Now come on, use a bit of common sense.

If mankind was suddenly deprived of all that he has accumalated over the ages and left naked and without shelter he would not last a minute. [ in general terms]

He would die of a number of causes and very swiftly.

Evolution cannot explain man's abilities compared with any other living thing.

No mutation that I know of has ever survived, sub species, yes. completely new species no.

Every animal is provided with the means to live the life intended and 100% do, the exception in creation is man.

Man has gone so far removed from the life he was offered and the result is obvious to anyone who cares to consider the state of the world today.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Poly glide one day you may talk some sense, but alas in the meantime we have to put up with your bullshit. Sad 
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Your lack of understanding is only superceded by your arrogance in thinking you are capable of exchanging words of any relevance with me.

You are out of your depth and keep floundering in ther deep end.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Well should we have a survey and find out how many people think you talk sense PG?
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Phil Hornby on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 pm

"...Your lack of understanding is only superceded by your arrogance in thinking you are capable of exchanging words of any relevance with me."

Although the words of relevance did not extend to spelling 'superseded' correctly. Not that I intend to mention it, of course...      Shocked
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3942
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 pm

His spelling is always awful Phil, but he refuses to use the spellchecker for some reason, and then says he does it on purpose.  Laughing 
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 pm

stuart torr wrote:His spelling is always awful Phil, but he refuses to use the spellchecker for some reason, and then says he does it on purpose.  Laughing 

Spell are for whitches.

:->>

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:12 pm

He could just be a bad wizard Heretic.  stirpot 
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:10 am

polyglide wrote:Now come on, use a bit of common sense.

If mankind was suddenly deprived of all that he has accumalated over the ages and left naked and without shelter he would not last a minute. [ in general terms]

He would die of a number of causes and very swiftly.

Evolution cannot explain man's abilities compared with any other living thing.

No mutation that I know of has ever survived, sub species, yes. completely new species no.

Every animal is provided with the means to live the life intended and 100% do, the exception in creation is man.

Man has gone so far removed from  the life he was offered and the result is obvious to anyone who cares to consider the state of the world today.

 

Only for someone who is too ignorant or too stupid to understand that our intellect evolved. Seriously Polly you're embarrassing yourself every time you talk about evolution.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3164
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Sheldon he embarrasses himself every time he posts, he says yet again that every animal is provided with the means to live the life intended and 100% do. Yet 90% of the original species are extinct. He knows nothing at all with regards to evolution, he must still live with his brain in the 18th century nevermind the 19th.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:54 am

The animals that no longer exist is because the circumstances that were relevant to there survival were no longer present and they had served the purpose God had for them.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am

With regard to scientists;-

The universe was fromed by the Big Bang.

The universe was formed by exactly the opposite.

The universe does not actually exist.

The latest from Japan.

They say it is all taking place in a seperate, flatter cosmos where there is no gravity.

Their "compelling" evidence is reveiled in the science journal Nature.

So amongst the scientists there are few nut cases with no real evidence about anything including evolution.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Long before our interlect evolved the human would have been wiped out.

Seriously, DR. Sheldon, you should consider the facts and not supposition.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:37 am

polyglide wrote:The animals that no longer exist is because the circumstances that were relevant to there survival were no longer present and they had served the purpose God had for them.
Who altered the circumstances? If it was god that must mean that he deliberately wiped out entire species. If it wasn't god, who or what was it? Also, you might need to add a little flesh to the bones, so to speak as the above has (yet again) absolutely nothing with which to support its bold claims.
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 am

polyglide wrote:Long before our interlect evolved the human would have been wiped out.

Seriously, DR. Sheldon, you should consider the facts and not supposition.

Some species of human have died out though.
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I agree there is a distinct chance that there has been humans of which we are as yet unaware, not those which have evolved from other species though.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Norm Deplume on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 pm

polyglide wrote:I agree there is a distinct chance that there has been humans of which we are as yet unaware, not those which have evolved from other species though.


All humans evolved from other species, including Homo sapiens sapiens (us) and the now extinct H. sapiens idaltu (a separate sub-species).
avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:18 pm

polyglide wrote:I agree there is a distinct chance that there has been humans of which we are as yet unaware, not those which have evolved from other species though.

I was thinking about species that we actually know about already. I suspect you know that though.
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Heretic wrote:Cripples and their like do now survive to the point where they can reach adulthood and beyond and do now reproduce. Evolution as far as mankind is concerned is over for the most part as far as non-fatal illnesses and disabilities go.

Admittedly, environmental pressures as they pertain to the natural world are not much of a factor in humanity's evolution in the modern era. We no longer have to fight predators for food or weather bad winters in caves or worry too much about having too little food and too many mouths to feed.

But I don't think that means evolution for humanity is necessarily over; it just means that different, somewhat man-made pressures will dictate how humanity evolves. For instance, we humanity becomes increasingly sedentary, what with all of our technology that eliminates a lot of physical labor, evolution will begin to compensate for our tendency not to exercise. Our hearts will slowly change over time as it becomes more efficient at getting blood to bodies that spend most of their time sitting in chairs. Since most of the foods we eat are filled with chemical preservatives and other not-so-wholesome things, again our bodies will begin to process those foods better; the need for certain vitamins may fade away while the need for high fructose corn syrup and other bad things might increase to where we couldn't survive without it. Of course these kinds of evolutionary changes may not be great for our appearances given that, in a few million years, we might all weigh 400 lbs., but that will be the norm, the proper way humans are supposed to be given the pressures on our physiology. Being fat won't be unhealthy. Being skinny will be.

I think it is even more likely that our brains will evolve - they will get bigger as we obtain more knowledge living in a complicated world. Where once physical strength and hardiness were the major necessary tools for survival, the modern era will shift the focus on needing bigger brains for increased intelligence, memory capacity, and the ability to "think" ones way out of problems instead of merely bashing and killing our way to a solution. The fact that just about every job today requires working knowledge of how to operate a computer - that was not necessary even just 15 years ago. The amount of knowledge we'll need to survive in the workforce will pressure our brains to become more efficient, more able to retain memories and information, and will also become less vulnerable to chemical reactions that cause harmful or disruptive emotional states. Think Mr. Spock.

Of course all of that is assuming we're able to maintain and continue to elevate our technological world. Should some calamity befall our civilization, we'll be right back to needing muscles and endurance more than we need brains and intelligence - though then again, perhaps not. A second go at human evolution might revolve around making smarter humans instead of stronger ones - to see if that particular angle is a better one.

Heretic wrote:I don't know the state of play over this at the moment but there bacteria found in a lake in California that instead of having a carbon frame for its DNA had one based on arsenic instead, I read about this in a New Scientist magazine a few years ago.


I haven't heard about that - interesting. I wonder why this hasn't been mentioned more often in the various scientific sites, journals, etc. That should be pretty big news to find a lifeform based on a completely different element. It would imply that the odds of finding other life in the universe became significantly higher.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Arsenic based life . There does seem to be some doubts about it now. Doubts about arsenic based life. It does seem to be a topic worth following.

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:16 am

Does seem a very strange thought Heretic, but if it is possible, then that is one route of poisoning that has been grown use to over the years has it not.?
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:30 am

polyglide wrote:If mankind was suddenly deprived of all that he has accumalated over the ages and left naked and without shelter he would not last a minute. [ in general terms]

Which human? You realize, don't you, that there are humans living under all kinds of conditions. Not everyone lives in a comfy house with central heating/cooling, a warm bed, a plush furniture set, a fridge full of food, and has a life where the only time he exists in the outside world is when moving between vehicles and buildings. A lot of folks out there are living in conditions not much better than that which existed in the Stone Age. If you take your average Wall Street broker and dumped him in the wilderness with no shelter and no gear, sure, he probably wouldn't last very long. However, if you do this to a tribesman in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, he would be like, "So? This is how I live all the time anyway." And, one of the brilliant things about humanity is that, even if we didn't grow up in that kind of environment, we can use our noggins to still survive in it, especially if we've been trained. You stick a Navy SEAL or Army Ranger or British SAS or Russian Spetznaz or any other special forces soldier in that condition, he'll do just fine, as well.

Humans are far, far too diverse to say unilaterally that they would all die of exposure in just a few days - or that some other factor like an animal or disease, etc., would inevitably kill them. I would argue that even a Wall Street broker could survive eventually - if enough Wall Street brokers were put into that situation over time. Most will die off, but there will eventually be that ONE individual who will overcome it, and his genes will be passed on to the next generation (assuming he has someone to mate with, but if you say there isn't, then this whole discussion is for naught since humanity will ALWAYS die out if there is no way to propagate the species).

You can't make over-simplified generalizations and expect everyone to accept it at face value. Things are rarely so easy.

avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:59 am

Yep, you have a point.

However, looking at it from a different aspect, mankind is the less able to look after himself without being told how by his parents.

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 pm

stuart torr wrote:Does seem a very strange thought Heretic, but if it is possible, then that is one route of poisoning that has been grown use to over the years has it not.?

Not sure about poisoning but it does show us that life is possible with arsenic instead of phosphorus in it's DNA.

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Did we not put arsenic down for a source of poisoning years ago Heretic?
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 am

stuart torr wrote:Did we not put arsenic down for a source of poisoning years ago Heretic?

Many things are poisons including most things in the medicine chest.

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by polyglide on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

There is one undisputable fact of life, we know far, far, less about everything than we think we do.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Heretic on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 pm

polyglide wrote:There is one undisputable fact of life, we know far, far, less about everything than we think we do.

If what we want to know is a collection of facts you are probably right. However what counts today is not facts but processes and formulas from which we deduce facts. If you just want facts then you have the internet but if you want more you will need to think a little but don't worry it does get easier with practice.

Heretic
avatar
Heretic
Deactivated

Posts : 369
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 58
Location : Liverpool (The Pool of Life)

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by stuart torr on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Very true Heretic, as with everything in life, the more practice the easier it gets,hope your new year has started well my friend, as long as it has I hope it can stay that way for you,best wishes for your daughter too,take care.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Shirina on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:19 pm

polyglide wrote:There is one undisputable fact of life, we know far, far, less about everything than we think we do.

That means that we really don't know that we don't know less than we think we do, so maybe we actually know MORE than we think we do.  Razz 
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Dan Fante on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 pm

polyglide wrote:There is one undisputable fact of life, we know far, far, less about everything than we think we do.
How do you know this?
avatar
Dan Fante

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : The Toon

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen or heard a ghost?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum