Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong?

+6
Mel
astra
oftenwrong
Ivan
Adele Carlyon
sickchip
10 posters

Go down

Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong? Empty Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong?

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:05 am

The issue is that by choosing to avoid paying tax by giving to THEIR chosen charities, the rich are simultaneously choosing not to contribute their fair share into Britain's infrastructure.....health, education, etc. They are avoiding their responsibility to society as a whole.

Giving to charity is a personal choice. Paying tax, or not, should not be a personal choice.

sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong? Empty Re: Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong?

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 am

I support charity 100%, but I also support paying tax, not choosing a charitable donation instead of paying tax! Philanthropy, yay!!!! Not avoiding your tax responsibility, yay!!! I'm a single Mum and I don't earn enough to pay tax, I earn minimum wage. But it always seems to me as though some rich and powerful folk think it's entirely right for them to figure out ways of wriggling out of paying their dues, when we would get fined to the hilt if we try to do the same.
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong? Empty Re: Is tax relief on charitable donations right or wrong?

Post by Ivan Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am

As Eton is a registered charity, so-called "philanthropists" get tax relief by making donations to that bastion of privilege.

If I give £50 to Oxfam I do so with money that has already been taxed, I don't have any choice. A real philanthropist will donate to charity after paying his or her taxes, not instead of doing so.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am

Exactly! And there in lies the rub!!
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

Google this topic and you will find pages and pages and pages of adverse comment.

Here's a taste: Give it back, George! 800 furious charities say Osborne's budget will lose them millions as wealthy donors are branded tax dodgers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2127971/Great-charity-revolt-800-furious-charities-say-Osbornes-budget-lose-millions.html#ixzz1sO4Hc2jC

Personally, I'm delighted. The world is still waiting for this government to get something right. Anything will do. ANYTHING.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 pm

This is the only proposal to date from the Tories that I support.

It's about time they targetted rich tax dodgers as well as the poorest in society.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Why is it that .......................

Your child's ice cream is taxed, .........................

But Lord Ashcroft's, or anybody else's CAVIAR is not?
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 pm

This is simply another Tory con of George Osborne’s, with his plan to cap tax relief on donations.
Do they care about Charaties? Nah!!!!!! What should be happening is the loopholes which allow off shore accounts to aviod tax should be closed. They wont do it because the front benchers and others in the party are enjoying the benefits themselves along with their rich friends.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm

astra wrote:Why is it that .......................

Your child's ice cream is taxed, .........................

But Lord Ashcroft's, or anybody else's CAVIAR is not?

Caviar is fish eggs - food. Ice cream is a sweet 'luxury'. Same difference if you buy plain digestive biscuits - no VAT -, Chocolate digestive biscuits - VAT. Unless things have changed since my working days.

If you have caviar as part of a meal in a restaurant I think you pay 2nd reduced rate of VAT. I always complain, but have to pay it. But then I only go to the best Restaurants like Morrisons, Tesco's cafes. Eh?Smile

AIN'T FAIR IS IT.

Back to work.
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm

They can stick their caviar, fois gras and champers were the sun don't shine! Pack of shits the lot of um! Grrrrr
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Perhaps the Charities Commission should start to look at all Registered Charities and see which ones are really of use and should retain their status...

Does anyone think that the Royal Opera House should have charitable status

astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm

UPDATED: 19:13, 24 October 2010

Outspoken: Dame Suzi Leather claimed that the cuts could take £5bn from charities and voluntary organisations
In a highly-charged political intervention, Charity Commission chief Dame Suzi Leather claimed that cutting funds to charities would ‘pull the rug’ from under David Cameron’s plans for the ‘Big Society’.
The Prime Minister has urged volunteers to take over projects and activities traditionally carried out by the state in order to save money and promote social engagement.
But Dame Suzi claimed that cuts to local government budgets would deprive charities and other voluntary organisations of £5 billion.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323345/Government-spending-cuts-cost-charities-billions-says-quango-queen.html#ixzz1sPNA6HAg
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm

The Prime Minister has urged volunteers to take over projects and activities traditionally carried out by the state in order to save money and promote social engagement.

Of course if these groups were to start providing 'not for profit' services and projects, it would mean fewer opportunities for those Big Businesses who may want to take on the same services for a profit...at the tax payers expence...
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm

astradt1 wrote:

Of course if these groups were to start providing 'not for profit' services and projects, it would mean fewer opportunities for those Big Businesses who may want to take on the same services for a profit...at the tax payers expence...

OOPS. never thought of that. I feel another U'Turn coming on. Thanks.

D. Camer-con
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 pm

There appears to be far too much criticism of our Tory government on the board at present. I do try to set a good example in my occasional positive assessments of their activities, but others are less charitable.

Anyone would think that Mr Cameron was some sort of uncaring toff who is leading a corrupt bunch of shifty chancers whose sole purpose is simply to advantage those amongst us who are already better-off ... Surprised
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Perish the thought! lol
Adele Carlyon
Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:05 am

Taxing problem: Millions are working hard and paying their taxes, but too many are dodging them, leading to a huge gap in revenue

Britain is being robbed of a eye-watering £35 billion a year by ruthless cheats who refuse to pay their taxes, HM Revenue and Customs.

The size of the country’s so-called ‘tax gap’ is shocking, equal to more than the Government spends on transport or public order and safety every year.

The ‘tax gap’ is the difference between the amount of money collected by the tax authorities – and the amount they should get if everybody paid the correct amount of tax.

In 2009/10, the latest available figures, hard-working families and companies paid a total of £408 billion in tax, from income tax to VAT, corporation tax to fuel duties.
But HMRC should have collected an extra £35 billion if everybody had paid the correct tax bill.

At the current rate, it means people who avoid or evade paying their taxes are failing to pay nearly £100 million every day, including weekends.
The figure includes everything from a plumber who does not pay his VAT bill, to a super-wealthy businessman who hides his money in a tax-free Swiss bank account.

The tax system was recently described as ‘inefficient, overly complex and frequently unfair’, following a five-year investigation by a top economic forecaster.
In a blistering attack, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said a better tax system could create hundreds of thousands of jobs and add tens of billions to the economy.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down