Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government?

+19
Red Cat Woman
Shirina
jackthelad
Ivan
Stox 16
Blamhappy
bobby
blueturando
Adele Carlyon
Redflag
sickchip
Mel
Phil Hornby
oftenwrong
astra
sampbang
skwalker1964
tlttf
BobEllard
23 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government? - Page 3 Empty Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government?

Post by BobEllard Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been working with some good leftie friends on twitter to get a an e-petition on the Governments own website for a Motion of No Confidence in the ConDem government.

As you probably know already:- if these petitions get accepted on the site and gain over 100k signatures they have to be considered for a Commons Debate.

The motion we propose to have is :

"We, the undersigned state that this government has not acted in the interests of the people of the United Kingdom.

We require there to be a Motion of No Confidence debate in the House of Commons followed by a vote of MPs in support of the motion"

The idea is that it is left as open as possible so that disillusioned people of all political persuasions will be able to sign it, in order to maximise the support it gets. Also if kept as brief as possible it is more likely to be accepted, as it is less likely to get caught by one of the many grounds for rejection on the government site.

We would very much appreciate any comments and suggestions that people on here have, and especially ideas on how we can spread the word to let the people know it is available for them if they wish to sign it.
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government?

Post by Redflag Thu May 17, 2012 2:22 pm

skwalker1964 wrote:The e-petition link is:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/petition-for-a-motion-of-no-confidence-in-the-uk-coalit.html

Let's get to work and hope it goes viral!

I have now signed petition good luck to you all.

Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is it time for a vote of no confidence in this government?

Post by astra Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm

SIGNED.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Thu May 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Signed and passed on to as many as possible. Thank's skwalker,
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Signed it, emailed and put it on facebook, tweeted it. I'll have a little look later to see if I can find any relevant pages to put a link on, cold get taken down pretty quickly if they deem in inappropriate.

Has anyone thought about setting up a facebook page for it?
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Spot on. I've been tweeting it to some trusty people who have been happily RTing

Karen did suggest a facebook page, and was going to do a page, but she's had to bow out for a while due to other heavy pressures

I don't even have a facebook account!

In fact I only joined twitter about 2 months ago to try to gain support for a 38 degrees campaign idea!.

Didn't see any use for twitter - had it down as a passing fad, it'll never catch on thought I, so I grudgingly opened a twitter account just for that 1 task, then I was going to let the account hang, and go back to my trusty quill pen and scrolls.

Anyway back to facebook ....... Sam would you mind doing the honours?

How about I spend some time this evening going through the influential tweeps in my following list and tweet out to more trusty followers

then I was going to start getting into contacting unions and medical associations.

BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I'll have a look at that later, pretty easy to set-up, but it's different to twitter, harder to get likes and interaction.
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Thu May 17, 2012 5:24 pm

maybe we can cross promote - use twitter to promote the petition and get likes & attention for the facebook page?
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Any names to suggest for the FB page?
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Thu May 17, 2012 5:50 pm

not really - I don't know what works on FB - best you go with what you think best
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I've been banging it out to tweeps all evening had a large number of RTs so it will have gone out to a few thousand people already.

also found this on my travels if anyone is interested:

@WinningLabour

Winning Labour National Day Conference on 'Developing an Alternative Economic Strategy'. Sat 19 May, 11.00am-4.30pm, Doncaster Trades Club.

[url=http://winninglabour.org ]Winning Labour[/url]

I've emailed them and asked them to promote the petition there.

Not a bad evenings work
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

My dad's secretary at the local Labour Party. I'm happy to mention it to him.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Well done everyone - great to see! Already had a 2x retweet from Plymouth branch of Unison, hopefully more unions/branches will take it up and numbers will climb quickly. Already over 100 - only x1000 to reach the min figure and x 10,000 to get the Magic Million Smile
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 pm

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but even right wing Guido Fawkes seemed to get in on the act today. He was tweeting links to a list of Cameron's U-turns. Normally he ignores all Tory bad news and pushes left wing bad news - he's incredibly biased.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

That would be fantastic thankyou, all help very much appreciated Very Happy
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Fri May 18, 2012 1:07 am

I've managed to put a facebook page together

https://www.facebook.com/NoToTheUkCoalition

If people think anything needs changing, give us a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Would be good also to get some other admins if possible, then we could have people continually posting, obviously the petition, lots, also relevant newspaper articles, blog articles, basically anything that put's this government to shame, which is everything at the moment!!
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 8:54 am

I've signed the petition and shared it on Twitter. I can tweet it again later as well.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am

Blamhappy wrote:I've signed the petition and shared it on Twitter. I can tweet it again later as well.

Yes please - we very much want as many people as possible to keep tweeting it, the initial response has been great, but we've got to keep the momentum moving
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 10:04 am

sampbang wrote:I've managed to put a facebook page together

https://www.facebook.com/NoToTheUkCoalition

If people think anything needs changing, give us a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Would be good also to get some other admins if possible, then we could have people continually posting, obviously the petition, lots, also relevant newspaper articles, blog articles, basically anything that put's this government to shame, which is everything at the moment!!

Nice one! I put a couple of hundred tweets out to influential tweeps last night and got loads of retweets Steve was doing the same. It went out to several thousand people yesterday.

On your multi admin idea - brilliant! How about there are lots of single issue campaigners on twitter, such as NHS, welfare, education - well - all the things the tories are trashing, plus satirists like EtonOldBoys, ImAlrightJack, all under the anti-coalition banner.

Maybe some of those would appreciate the additional platform. We could invite selective people that we like and give them admin rights to the site? I suggesst we DM them rather than tweeting, in case FB doesn't approve.

If you agree we can maybe collect some names and when steve is around put it to him as well?
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 am

I guess it might be good to find celebrities who support Labour. They have thousands of followers.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 am

Spot on. Great Idea

Eddie Izzard is one, but otherwise celebs tend to go in one ear and out the other with me, who else do you suggest?
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

I'll try Laila Rouass.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

Good one! Hope you get some sucess.

I'm just trying to find out how to get "Donate a Tweet a day" going - a lot of campaigns use it, if we can ask people to do the same, it would be self sustaining.

Anyone know how you can get "donate a tweet" going?
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

Sir Alex Feguson is a staunch Labour supporter. Can anyone reach him I wonder?
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

One of my followers is a bonkers lefty. I find him a bit OTT at times, but he's the kind of person who loves petitions like this, so I sent him it and he retweeted it straight away. He has 6,600 followers...
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Fri May 18, 2012 12:08 pm

We're getting loads of RTs but only 115 signatures as of a second ago. Thought we'd be in the 1000s very quickly, but I guess it takes a while to build. On the celebrity theme, I tweeted Ant & Dec this morning, be interesting to see if they RT.

Any ideas how to improve RT to signature ratio?
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Blamhappy wrote:One of my followers is a bonkers lefty. I find him a bit OTT at times, but he's the kind of person who loves petitions like this, so I sent him it and he retweeted it straight away. He has 6,600 followers...

Great! We also need to ask people to keep tweeting it out - its been a great start, we've going to have find a way to sustain this campaign over months
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 12:17 pm

skwalker1964 wrote:We're getting loads of RTs but only 115 signatures as of a second ago. Thought we'd be in the 1000s very quickly, but I guess it takes a while to build. On the celebrity theme, I tweeted Ant & Dec this morning, be interesting to see if they RT.

Any ideas how to improve RT to signature ratio?

Yes that has been worrying me too - we must have have the petition in front of 10's of Ks with all the RTs, but only 115 sigs - maybe we are doing it wrong, need to change the wording to "please take a minute to sign and then RT"

its a learning process for all of us - we'll just have to keep trying things and see what works
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Also we are going to have to sustain this over months to make an impact, we should maybe be asking people to keep tweeting it out in their own right, rather than just RTing what we send?

I've seen some campaigns use a 'donate a tweet a day' scheme, so which lets the campaign use their tweet account for one tweet every day, I'm looking into seeing if we can do this.

Also ought to start talking about how to get 38 degree involvment
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes. I just sent the message to the top UK trending hashtags, too. Completely off-topic, but don't really care... Smile
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm

The link doesn't stand out as being a petition to bring the government down. It also doesn't seem particularly official.

I think people see so many personal campaigns that they get tired of them. I see so many RT requests for children with diseases that I end up ignoring them. I always wonder what the point is. It's one problem with Twitter - it's saturated with this kind of thing.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

I think it'll take a while, just need a few influential people tweeting if, but perseverance from us!!

Anyone as an admin on the facebook page would do, just people posting to keep it interactive, doesn't take long to post stuff, couple of seconds or so!!
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Tony Robinson?

"Baldrick" and Time Team. If I remember correctly, he ran for Labour MP somewhere or other.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Fri May 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Just tried posting the petition on Wikipedia, it's a no go as the site gopetition is blacklisted. Seems like many have tried it before!!
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri May 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Famous Labour supporters:-

Lily Allen, Richard Attenborough, Gordon Banks, Melvyn Bragg, Jo Brand, Naomi Campbell, Sol Campbell, Jamie Carragher, Michelle Collins, Brian Cox, Steve Cram, Garth Crooks, Sinead Cusack, Liz Dawn, Nancy Dell’Olio, Clive Dunn, Ken Follett, Dawn French, Alex Ferguson, Mariella Frostrup, Peter Gabriel, Kate Garroway, Robin Gibb, Antony Gormley, Geri Halliwell, Mick Hucknall, Jeremy Irons, Eddie Izzard, Ross Kemp, Beverly Knight, Steve Lazarides, Kathy Lette, Maureen Lipman, Devon Malcolm, Miriam Margolyes, Fiona Phillips, Ruth Rendell, Tony Robinson, J K Rowling, Prunella Scales, Simon Schama, Frank Skinner, Delia Smith, Patrick Stewart, Alan Sugar, David Tennant, Clive Tyldesley, Tracey Ullman, David Walliams, Pete Waterman, Arabella Weir, Timothy West, Kevin Whately, Richard Wilson.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

One of my followers is a bonkers lefty. I find him a bit OTT at times
Blamhappy. LOL. So that's what you think of me?? Shocked
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Further to my list of Labour supporters, Robin Gibb is very seriously ill and would not be able to help any campaign.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Ivan wrote:
One of my followers is a bonkers lefty. I find him a bit OTT at times
Blamhappy. LOL. So that's what you think of me?? Shocked

Haha! That cracked me up! I suppose I shouldn't say who I was referring to in case he lands on here at some point.

I tweeted a socialist friend and he said he thinks it would do better if it were on the Number 10 site. I'm all for trying, but I wonder if he's right.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri May 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Update: the government epetitions site has rejected my submission
Posted by BobEllard 12.34 yesterday.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by sampbang Fri May 18, 2012 2:30 pm

So we have twitter, the fb page (not sure if this will do anything).

We need to be posting the petition onto other like minded forums, this could be dificult in itself as not all forums are happy about people coming along a posting links, maybe seen as spam!! also I think email campaign needs setting up, maybe try and get say email addresses for the labour supporters as posted above,

Just a couple of ideas, what do you guys think?
sampbang
sampbang

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Ivan wrote:
Update: the government epetitions site has rejected my submission
Posted by BobEllard 12.34 yesterday.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that it's a shame.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BobEllard Fri May 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Ivan wrote:Famous Labour supporters:-

Lily Allen, Richard Attenborough, Gordon Banks, Melvyn Bragg, Jo Brand, Naomi Campbell, Sol Campbell, Jamie Carragher, Michelle Collins, Brian Cox, Steve Cram, Garth Crooks, Sinead Cusack, Liz Dawn, Nancy Dell’Olio, Clive Dunn, Ken Follett, Dawn French, Alex Ferguson, Mariella Frostrup, Peter Gabriel, Kate Garroway, Robin Gibb, Antony Gormley, Geri Halliwell, Mick Hucknall, Jeremy Irons, Eddie Izzard, Ross Kemp, Beverly Knight, Steve Lazarides, Kathy Lette, Maureen Lipman, Devon Malcolm, Miriam Margolyes, Fiona Phillips, Ruth Rendell, Tony Robinson, J K Rowling, Prunella Scales, Simon Schama, Frank Skinner, Delia Smith, Patrick Stewart, Alan Sugar, David Tennant, Clive Tyldesley, Tracey Ullman, David Walliams, Pete Waterman, Arabella Weir, Timothy West, Kevin Whately, Richard Wilson.

Wonderful list Ivan thankyou

What we could really do with here is one or more people who are kind, nice, decent, committed lefties and not too overloaded already, to take on the task of contacting these people and trying to get them onside, might take a bit of perseverance.

Any takers?
BobEllard
BobEllard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next