Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Post by Ivan on Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 am

First topic message reminder :

When Labour came to power in 1997, their manifesto contained 229 promises. A BBC analysis five years later found that 181 of the promises, 80%, had been kept. As to the remaining 48 promises, the BBC decided that they were “either too difficult to judge or have not been met.”
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Those people who make negative remarks such as “all politicians and parties are the same” would do well to compare Labour’s record on keeping promises with that of the Tories in the past two years. Dr Eoin Clarke has analysed the 2010 Tory manifesto and exposed some of its biggest lies:-

- The Tories said they would offer personalised tailored help to the long term unemployed (p.15), but they hid their plans to force disabled young people and others to work, unpaid, for profit-making companies like Tesco.

- The Tories said they would create 400,000 work-pairing college-based apprenticeship schemes over two years (p.17), but there are fewer than 10,000 apprenticeship places UK-wide.

- The Tories promised to reduce youth unemployment (p.5), but it has risen to an all-time high.

- The Tories said they'd cut child benefit for families earning more than £50,000, but they actually cut it for families where one person earns £44,000.

- The Tories said they'd raise the state pension age to 66, but then raised it to 67.

- The Tories promised to protect Child Trust Funds for the 33% poorest children, but instead axed them for all children.

- The Tories said they would give power to the Bank of England to crack down on bonuses (p.29), but nothing was done and bank bonuses have topped £6 billion in the past year.

- The Tories said they would protect the Winter Fuel Payment to pensioners (p.42), then cut it by £50 for some and £100 for others.

- The Tories said they would provide 4,200 extra Sure Start personnel (p.43). Instead they have cut £812 million in funding, which has resulted in the closing of more than 300 Sure Start Centres.

- The Tories claimed they would reduce unemployment and improve economic growth (p.3), but the opposite has occurred.

- The Tories concealed their plans to cut the Education Maintenance Allowance and raise VAT to 20%. They were also deliberately vague on their support for trebling tuition fees.

- The Tories promised to protect funding for Disability Living Allowance (p.42), which Cameron claimed for his own son, but then cut it for children receiving chemotherapy after they came to power. Now they’ve scrapped it altogether.

For more on the on the human cost of Tory disability cuts:-

Other broken promises have been listed by 'Twitter' member @GracieSamuels:-

No cuts to public spending in 2010-11 (just 'efficiency savings').

No bonuses over £2,000 for bankers.

3,000 more police officers.

Keeping the Future Jobs Fund.

Pupil Premium to be additional to the schools budget.

‘Bonfire of the quangos’ (4,500 more bureaucrats have been recruited).

A Post Office Bank.

No cuts to the navy.

Three more army battalions.

Reduce immigration (it’s risen by 21% in one year).

Automatic prison sentence for carrying a knife.

Cutting rail fares each year.

NHS budget to be protected.

No cuts to frontline services.

3,000 more midwives.

No A&E and maternity unit closures.

And of course, the worst and most disgusting broken Tory promise, hidden from the voters but planned for years and rewarded by private healthcare firms:-

No top-down reorganisation of the NHS.

Is this the worst UK government ever? Have you ever read about or lived through two years of more malevolence towards the weakest in society, and more lies from a Prime Minister so mired in sleaze and corruption?

Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Post by Ivan on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Dan Fante wrote:-
I think the best case scenario for Labour is that there's a gradual improvement in the economy but with people still 'feeling the pinch' enough to be pissed off with the government.

I doubt if even an act of monumental stupidity on a par with Kinnock’s triumphalist Sheffield rally in 1992 could lose the next election for Labour, but maybe ‘The Daily Mail’ or Lynton Crosby will concoct the modern-day equivalent of a Zinoviev letter?

Not since 1955 have the Tories, when in power, increased their percentage of the vote at the subsequent election. Labour hasn't done so since October 1974, and that was just seven months after the previous election. The electoral ‘truth’ is that once in power for more than a few months, governments start to lose support.

The Tories managed 36.1% of the vote in 2010. Do you think there is anyone who didn’t vote for them then who will be tempted to do so next time? I don't. On the other hand, there will be no shortage of people who believed Cameron’s lies about not messing with the NHS, not putting up VAT, not cutting front line services, not closing Sure Start centres, not scrapping EMAs and giving us “the greenest government ever” who won’t be fooled by him a second time. Before the last election, I remember on one discussion forum a few disabled people saying that they were going to vote Tory. I bet they feel pretty sick now, if they haven’t starved to death or committed suicide because of Iain Duncan Smith’s cruel policies.

One reason why Labour strategists are confident that their party will win the next election is that it is the "least toxic" among voters. A new poll from YouGov shows that while 33% would never consider voting Tory (most notably ethnic minorities, northerners and Scots), only 24% would never consider voting Labour. (43% would never consider voting UKIP and 35% would never vote for the Lib Dems.)  As George Eaton points out, “Ed Miliband is fishing in the largest pool”. To beat Labour in 2015, the Tories would have to increase its appeal to those groups which have shunned it at the last four elections: ethnic minorities, northerners, Scots and LGBT voters.

From its latest sample of over 11,000 voters, Electoral Calculus - the most accurate pre-poll predictor at the 2010 election – calculates that there is a 4% chance of a Tory majority and an 81% chance of a Labour majority in 2015:-

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:47 pm

But please forego the luxury of abstention next time, eh Guys?
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 am

Ivan wrote:One reason why Labour strategists are confident that their party will win the next election is that it is the "least toxic" among voters. A new poll from YouGov shows that while 33% would never consider voting Tory (most notably ethnic minorities, northerners and Scots), only 24% would never consider voting Labour. (43% would never consider voting UKIP and 35% would never vote for the Lib Dems.)  As George Eaton points out, “Ed Miliband is fishing in the largest pool”. To beat Labour in 2015, the Tories would have to increase its appeal to those groups which have shunned it at the last four elections: ethnic minorities, northerners, Scots and LGBT voters.

From its latest sample of over 11,000 voters, Electoral Calculus - the most accurate pre-poll predictor at the 2010 election – calculates that there is a 4% chance of a Tory majority and an 81% chance of a Labour majority in 2015:-

They look great odds Ivan for the Labour party, just let us hope the people of the UK make the Tories keep their hands on their BUTTS for a long time before they ever vote Tory again.:yeahthat:
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:58 am

Ivan wrote:...I doubt if even an act of monumental stupidity on a par with Kinnock’s triumphalist Sheffield rally in 1992 could lose the next election for Labour...

I remember watching Sheffield with utter disbelief. Shocked  If there is one thing we absolutely do not like in our politicians and that is hubris. He really forgot that big style. Smile

[EDIT] When I thought about this it occurred to me that that might just be the undoing of Boris. Smile We can hope.

Last edited by Ivan on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total

Bellatori
Banned

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 am

(Tip: There's no need to complete the 'reason for editing' box if the message you are editing is still the most recent one on the thread.)
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Floating Tory voter captured on camera
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Don't expect to find that statement still on any official Tory documents in May 2015.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 am

oftenwrong wrote:Don't expect to find that statement still on any official Tory documents in May 2015.

I suppose the reason for this not been on a Tory web site in 2015 OW is Davy boy will know the people of the UK will have cotton on to his BLATANT LIES
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

We've had 4 full years of Tory lies and deceit, and the population still only put Herr Cameron around 4 points below Labour in the polls. If the Jocks jump ship I think we will be well and truly shafted and will have a Tory majority Government and a further 5 years to do exactly what they like, perhaps that may be a good long term solution as it will give the left enough time to form a true left wing party, unless the Tories take us even closer to out and out Fascism and ban all opposition as I do not believe we have true left wing party at the moment except for The Respect Party possibly, then you get that funny little man Galloway.
With just 12 months to go, if Ed Miliband doesn't pull his finger out extremely soon I will be looking for someone else to lend my weight to, because quite frankly he just isn't doing it for me.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Bobby do not worry too much that the people in Scotland will leave the UK, reason is Salmond has been found out LYING to the peoplee of Scotland, he said they had got legal advice regarding our position in the EU if we voted yes then his deputy stood up in Parliament and admitted there was no legal advice.

George Galloway is odd but his heart is in the right place bobby, but what is really good about him he Hates the Tories with as much passion as the majority of the UK, he thinks all Tories should be drowned at birth pokenest 
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Drowned at birth? Deal with the parents!
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

Just so you all know George Galloway is on the "Better Together" side and holds meetings here in Scotland telling the Scots should vote NO on the 18th September. Maybe the better together team should take a leaf out of George's book and explain in plain language how the financial side would work in Scotland IF we voted Yes.

Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Drowned at birth? Deal with the parents!

Right, where's my time machine? geek
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Do you need any help boatlady I would not mind a trip in a time machine lol! lol! 
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Soon as I find it, I'll be sure to call on you - and we can travel the past putting Tory mummies and daddies on the pill
boatlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am

I tend to prefer CASTRATION for all the Tory mummies and daddies boatlady.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:48 am

Ah, but I embrace peaceful solutions
boatlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Compromise : smile and say " sorry about the blunt knife" as they are castrated...      Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 pm

I am with you PH, okay I have a sick sense of humour when it come to the Tories & Fib-Dems. bomb
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:38 pm

These are some of Cameron's promises from before the last general election which Grant Shapps and his minions have been deleting from Tory websites:-

“With the Conservatives there will be no more of the tiresome, meddlesome, top-down re-structures that have dominated the last decade of the NHS.”

The Tories went on to make some of the biggest changes to the NHS since its creation in 1948.

“We have absolutely no plans to raise VAT. Our first Budget is all about recognising we need to get spending under control rather than putting up tax.”

George Osborne increased VAT from 17.5% to a record 20% within six weeks of the Tories coming to power.

I like the child benefit, I wouldn’t change child benefit, I wouldn’t means test it, I don’t think that is a good idea.”

The Tories have means tested child benefit, abolishing it for higher earners.

Yes, we back Sure Start. It’s a disgrace that Gordon Brown has been trying to frighten people about this. He’s the Prime Minister of this country but he’s been scaring people about something that really matters.”

Hundreds of Sure Start centres have been closed.

We have no plans to change existing Future Jobs Fund commitments.”

Within weeks of this Tory-dominated government taking office, it announced the abolition of the Future Jobs Fund.

We’ve looked at the education maintenance allowance and we haven’t announced any plan to get rid of it.”

Nine months later, the government announced that the education maintenance allowance was to be scrapped.

Let us look at the issue of dependency, where we have trapped people in poverty through the extent of welfare that they have.”

Since then we have witnessed some of the biggest cuts to welfare since the formation of the welfare state, which has led to a five-fold increase in poverty-stricken families turning to food banks.

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Of course, the best form of Defence is to attack, but the unavoidable truth is that the British Electorate remember the time when (Labour's) Gordon Brown presided over the collapse of the Banking Sector.

Of course, it was a global event - totally beyond the responsibility of an individual national government, but we are conditioned to believe that the Captain goes down with his ship. That also applies in the public perception with successors.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 am

Maybe the guy that Ed has employed David Axelrod will be able to dilute some of the Tory LIES & SPIN about who was to blame for the Bankers taking our savings and going for a night at the CASINO and losing it all, and I hope he spells it out what would have happened if Gordon Brown had not of borrowed the money to bail the bankers out and explain it so that ordinary people can understand it we are not all economists the easier he makes it the better they will understand it and know who to blame.

The Tory LIES will lie in tatters at the feet of Davy boy and the Tory party, I just hope the people that voted Tory in 2010 will have learned a hard lesson and will never do it again in my lifetime
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 am

I wouldn't get your hopes up; Ed has mirrored Cameron on almost every issue. Labour are a joke, their comments in the Independent (Rachel Reeves and Kate Green) regarding the WCA are yet another dismal reminder of how far to the right the labour party has lurched. No sign of returning.
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm

The Labour Party was so-lurched by one T. Blair, who turned 18 years in the wilderness of opposition under Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock et al into the landslide victory of 1997.

The clear message of subsequent events is that the British electorate as a whole are not really drawn towards a government-of-the-Left.

Make of that what you will.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm

A landslide victory for a party that no longer represented labour supporters.

That's not a victory for the labour party, but for right wing capitalist values.

The british electorate are fed a pack of lies from a right wing media daily, it's hardly surprising they don't liek the left. Unfortunately they aren't presented with an alternative except as a straw man by right wing pundits and politicians.
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Quite so. The word that describes Blair's volte-face of the Labour Party is Pragmatism. It got his Party elected at last.

Curiously, there are many who think that Cameron is not sufficiently Right-wing. But he doesn't want to go back into Opposition either, so is unlikely to change tack.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

The Labour Party has - unusually - the advantage of having TWO of its opponents badly tainted by the past few years of government. Additionally, UKIP are poised to make dents - in the Tory vote particularly. That should allow Miliband to position his party perfectly to win power, provided they have judged the public mood accurately. They must simply choose their own pragmatic position relevant to 2015  in order to pick up the reins.

Against such a backdrop, how can he lose?       Shocked  scratch
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:47 pm

ghost whistler wrote:A landslide victory for a party that no longer represented labour supporters.

That's not a victory for the labour party, but for right wing capitalist values.

The british electorate are fed a pack of lies from a right wing media daily, it's hardly surprising they don't liek the left. Unfortunately they aren't presented with an alternative except as a straw man by right wing pundits and politicians.

I do understand your disbelief GW, a majority of the UK are wondering where are the Labour parties left wing values,  but I think that within the next few months you will see Ed Miliband taking the Labour party back to the left of centre take a good look at his parentage both his mum & dad were out & out good socialists and I think that could not have failed to rub off on Ed. cheers
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:27 pm

QUOTE: ".... a majority of the UK are wondering where are the Labour parties left wing values .... "

Perhaps a majority of the politically active might think that way, Redflag, but a majority of the UK electors will vote as usual for "me first" in the shape of whichever party appears to offer them that prospect.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 am

You and I both know that if the Tories get back into power in May 2015 there will be NO NHS NO WELFARE STATE to protect the sick disabled unemployed from starvation and malnutrition, Ozzy has already said that he intends to take another £25bn out of public services and I bet you can guess exactly where he will cut that from.  It will not be from those earning £100.000 plus cause they will get another 5p tax cut bringing them down to 40p in the £. stirpot
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:23 am

Tories accused of ‘trying to buy election’ with 23% hike to campaign spending

From an article by Daniel Boffey;-

When he was first leader of the opposition, David Cameron said he wanted to take the big money out of politics. He promised to address the ‘big donor culture’, arguing that we should ‘cut what is spent on a general election’. Now the Conservatives have ignored Electoral Commission recommendations and secured a 23% increase in spending. With the Tories having amassed a £78m war chest over the past four years, they can funnel huge amounts of cash into key seats.

The change to the law on candidates’ election spending, passed without parliamentary debate, was made despite a direct warning by the commission against such “excessive spending to prevent the perception of undue influence over the outcome of the election”.

Lucy Powell MP writes: “Labour can’t match the depths of Tory pockets. Cameron is seeking to buy an election they don’t deserve to win. With only a record of failure to run on, his campaign is reliant on smear, fear and fat cats’ cheque books. This is a party flush with big money backers but without the empathy or ideas the country needs, so they are rigging the rules of our democracy in their favour.”

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Tory and coalition MPs are indirectly using taxpayers' money to canvass pre-election support in their constituencies during parliamentary time. Due to the 5-year fixed term there is by now little legislation to debate, and some MPs are using Thursday and Fridays to lobby for local support, instead of attending in the HofC. But we're still paying them full wages.

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 pm

The fatal contradiction at the heart of the Tory message: there is no money, except for people we like

Extracts from an article by Alex Massie:-

"Next year’s election looks like being the most gruesomely entertaining in years. Entertaining because no-one knows what is going to happen; gruesome because of the protagonists and the sorry misfortune that someone has to win it. I don’t think that person will be Cameron.

This government came to power promising to put Britain’s finances in order. By any sensible measurement it has signally failed to do so. The PM and his chancellor are scurrying around the country misleading people. Never mind the national debt, the deficit has not been cut in half over the course of this parliament.

Broken promises are the kind of thing the electorate kinda expects, but much worse for the Tories is that far from completing the modernisation they once promised they have, in large part, abandoned the project. Voters think the Tories are some distance further from the centre of British politics than Labour. Perhaps that helps explain why no poll in the last two months has put the Tories above 34% of the vote.

But that’s not nearly as bad as the fact the Tories are entering the campaign with a message that contradicts itself. The Conservatives are running a campaign that says there is no money for public spending but there is money for tax cuts. The income tax cut for millionaires was a terrible idea when it was first announced and remains, politically-speaking, a terrible idea now. If anything, in fact, it looks worse now than it did at the time. Tax cuts for our chums; welfare cuts for you. That’s not a good look.
"

For the whole article:-
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

And in the Spectator!!!
boatlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 am

How can the Tories buy anyones vote with what the Tories have done to 99% of the UK public, there is an old saying " you can drag the Horse to the Well but you cannot make it Drink", unless it wants too.
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Another old saying, Redflag, is that people get the Government they deserve.

Numerically the Rich have fewer votes at their disposal than the Poor, so how can an elite government by Toffs exist at all?

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:21 pm

"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics." (Nye Bevan) No
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm

All lies Ivan, now surely the british voting public can see through that if they bother to read it and understand it that is, also if they bother to register to vote too, which is so much of a waste, if they do not vote do not complaign.
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum