Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge

+20
Claudine
Aspca4ever
sassy
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
sickchip
boatlady
trevorw2539
Ivan
blueturando
Phil Hornby
jackthelad
astradt1
wyouser
weltschmerz
Mkitty
Stox 16
keenobserver1
Penderyn
astra
Shirina
24 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge Empty Yet another right-wing fascist on the rise ...

Post by Shirina Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 am

Santorum’s book doesn’t deal with foreign policy but does set out his approach to domestic policy: an active use of federal power and of the tax code to promote traditional behaviors and to preserve man-woman marriages.

Unlike Tea Party activists, Santorum doesn’t shrink away from the federal government; he wants to use it to nudge people toward more virtuous behavior, which he thinks will be best taught in traditional heterosexual families.

He says, “Liberals believe that the traditional family is neither natural nor vital, that it’s an antiquated social convention which has not only outlived its usefulness, but is now inherently discriminatory and repressive toward legitimate alternative ‘families.’”

Gee, thanks, Mr. Santorum. And while you seem to be in control of my thoughts, how about marching my body into the kitchen and making myself a sandwich? I'm getting kind of hungry. Unless, of course, you would like to relinquish control of my mind.

Link

I am SICK TO DEATH of these hacks. Can't the GOP offer up a single candidate that isn't out to impose their brand of "it's for the best" fascism onto the rest of America?
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge Empty Re: Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:25 am

On the other hand.......

Can a ranting religious Republican of standard fascist leanings defeat the sitting President? It'll probably come down to which one looks the cleaner-shaven on Television. Again.

Send in the Barbers!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge Empty Re: Is fascism coming to America? You be the judge

Post by astra Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 pm

There's a thought OW!!!

Yourself, Ivan Witchfinder and me (with Clyde for counterpoint) as a Barber's quartet!! Should be a howl! (er I mean Hoot) Very Happy

Talk about clearing the decks, and provide some serious comment on the Presidential run, which all seems to me very much of a circus
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Include me out of the Barbershop Quartet, astra. We're still waiting for my voice to break.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

From the link: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/06/10010610-in-it-takes-a-family-santorums-views-are-an-open-book

Rick Santorum: “Every statistic I am aware of… indicates that marriage is better for children, and usually by a very wide margin.”

Every study of which I am aware indicates the same thing.

… Santorum called for $50 million a year [to support] “programs that promote and foster healthy fatherhood.”

I agree.

Rick Santorum: “The more government taxes someone, the less they are able to take care of themselves and their families…”

I agree.

Rick Santorum: “When the top 20 percent of our population commands 83 percent of the wealth, we have a wealth gap that is unhealthy.”

I agree.

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/06/10010610-in-it-takes-a-family-santorums-views-are-an-open-book
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

The current American election seems to be a classical instance of false consciousness. Upward mobility has ceased, real wages are falling, and the peasantry are demanding proper, bugger my neighbour competitive capitalism. They whom the gods would destroy they first make mad!
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Rick Santorum: “The more government taxes someone, the less they are able to take care of themselves and their families…”

He's not even original.

Taxes are the constant preoccupation of those with ample resources from which to "take care of themselves and their families ..

The families most in need of government assistance for survival may well not be liable to pay tax, so Mr. Santorum can stop worrying on their behalf.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm

This is a red herring of epic proportions. The issue regarding taxes centers around the wealthy paying an "unfair percentage." It's not about the middle or working classes and their taxes. The wealthy are not having difficulty taking care of themselves or their families. The ones having the most difficulty aren't even taxed.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:56 pm

You put that so much better than I ever could, Shirina.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Shirina wrote:
This is a red herring of epic proportions.

Not for my family and me. Since my federal income taxes have decreased, I’ve been better able to take care of my family and me.

Shirina wrote:
The issue regarding taxes centers around the wealthy paying an "unfair percentage."

Not for me it isn’t. I’m not wealthy.

Shirina wrote:
It's not about the middle or working classes and their taxes.

It is for me. I’ve been middle/working class all of my life; federal income tax reductions have significantly aided my ability to take care of my family and me.

Shirina wrote:
The wealthy are not having difficulty taking care of themselves or their families.

True.

Shirina wrote:
The ones having the most difficulty aren't even taxed.

If true, that’s because they don’t work (the “taxed” part). As you know, federal income taxes are assessed against one’s earned income.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 pm

"O wad some Power the giftie give us
To see ourselves as others see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion"

To a Louse ......By Robert Burns

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by keenobserver1 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 pm

oftenwrong wrote:"O wad some Power the giftie give us
To see ourselves as others see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion"

To a Louse ......By Robert Burns

I see what you are trying to do. Come the referendum you ain't coming north!
keenobserver1
keenobserver1

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I'll trip him up if he tries to cross the Tyne

for a bottle of renumeration of course!! Very Happy
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by keenobserver1 Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 pm

astra wrote:I'll trip him up if he tries to cross the Tyne

for a bottle of renumeration of course!! Very Happy

I have a nice Islay single malt? At present unopened........
keenobserver1
keenobserver1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Who's guarding the lefthand side, then? Gretna is WIDE OPEN!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by keenobserver1 Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Who's guarding the lefthand side, then? Gretna is WIDE OPEN!

Now we know what way you will be coming.
keenobserver1
keenobserver1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Curses! Foiled again!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

Shirina wrote:Santorum’s book doesn’t deal with foreign policy but does set out his approach to domestic policy: an active use of federal power and of the tax code to promote traditional behaviors and to preserve man-woman marriages.

Unlike Tea Party activists, Santorum doesn’t shrink away from the federal government; he wants to use it to nudge people toward more virtuous behavior, which he thinks will be best taught in traditional heterosexual families.

He says, “Liberals believe that the traditional family is neither natural nor vital, that it’s an antiquated social convention which has not only outlived its usefulness, but is now inherently discriminatory and repressive toward legitimate alternative ‘families.’”

Gee, thanks, Mr. Santorum. And while you seem to be in control of my thoughts, how about marching my body into the kitchen and making myself a sandwich? I'm getting kind of hungry. Unless, of course, you would like to relinquish control of my mind.

Link

I am SICK TO DEATH of these hacks. Can't the GOP offer up a single candidate that isn't out to impose their brand of "it's for the best" fascism onto the rest of America?

I have to say America is just drowning in Right wing and corporation propaganda right now. I fear for anyone who does not fit in to there views on things. in fact all of us on the left are facing world wide corporation propaganda right now
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm

" all of us on the left are facing world wide corporation propaganda right now"

Yes, indeed. There is evidence of a collective worm-turning amongst the world's population against City Spivs, corporate landlords, conniving politicians and exploitative salesmen. Their PR representatives are trying their hardest to push the flood of criticism back under the carpet. But are we going to let them?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Rick Santorum: “The Commander in Chief of this country isn’t a CEO, It’s someone who has to lead.”

http://www.politickerny.com/2012/01/07/rick-santorum-the-commander-in-chief-of-this-country-isnt-a-ceo-its-someone-who-has-to-lead/

I agree.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Well, if we are all going to be led into having nine children, I demand a re-count!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm

I like far more about Rick Santorum than I like about any other 2012 Republican "Wanna-be-President", but it’s all over except the concession/drop out speeches.

As Kenny Rogers says…

The Gambler - Kenny Rogers
https://www.youtube.com/v/6q2mFiN7GIc

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 am

RockOnBrother wrote:
I like far more about Rick Santorum than I like about any other 2012 Republican "Wanna-be-President", but it’s all over except the concession/drop out speeches.

As Kenny Rogers says…

Who you got down as winning then Rock?
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:53 pm

"Rick Santorum: Left uses college for 'indoctrination'"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57366219-503544/rick-santorum-left-uses-college-for-indoctrination/

It's the usual: somehow, college classes, most of which have nothing to do with religion, are somehow indoctrinating young adults.

"It's no wonder President Obama wants every kid to go to college," said the former Pennsylvania senator. "The indoctrination that occurs in American universities is one of the keys to the left holding and maintaining power in America. And it is indoctrination. If it was the other way around, the ACLU would be out there making sure that there wasn't one penny of government dollars going to colleges and universities, right?"

He continued: "If they taught Judeo-Christian principles in those colleges and universities, they would be stripped of every dollar. If they teach radical secular ideology, they get all the government support that they can possibly give them. Because you know 62 percent of children who enter college with a faith conviction leave without it."

My favorite part is why Obama wants people to go to college. It just can't be because good factory jobs are really hard to find and you need a degree to do a lot of jobs, it's to KEEP DEMS IN POWAH!!

His day in the sun from winning Iowa is over. He'll probably drop out when he runs out of campaign money or something.
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 pm

In essence, what Santorum is saying is:

Stay out of college, dumb down America, and hope that a good-paying job comes along in an increasingly high-tech economy that only requires a high school diploma!

Well, even the Hadron Collider and FermiLab needs someone to sweep the floors and keep those toilets sparkling.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by weltschmerz Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Stay out of college, dumb down America,

In Santorum's America, women don't need a college education, anyway. They should just stay home and look after their 14 children.
weltschmerz
weltschmerz

Back to top Go down

Post by weltschmerz Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:51 pm

After all, he takes his orders directly from the Pope. That means no birth control.
"Yes, Virginia. There is a Santorum Clause."
weltschmerz
weltschmerz

Back to top Go down

Post by wyouser Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm

It appears Santorum's campaign is out of money and while he has not officially dropped out of the race, His days as a candidate are probably numbered.
wyouser
wyouser

Back to top Go down

Post by wyouser Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Welts, you found a maple leaf!!! Cool
wyouser
wyouser

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Particularly cool I would imagine, if that's all you're wearing in a Canadian winter.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by weltschmerz Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:56 pm

wyouser wrote:Welts, you found a maple leaf!!! Cool
Not exactly. I was looking for an image for the Canadian Humanist Society, and I found it.
weltschmerz
weltschmerz

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Stox,

Romney is vulnerable on several fronts, including that huge fifteen percent income tax hit he took, and less spoken of at this time, underlying and, in my opinion, valid fears concerning Mormon theocracy.

Gingrich is vulnerable on several fronts, including ex-wives (one has said something about "open marriage") and lack of support from his congressional peers, similar to John Kerry in 2004, whose Navy peers posted effective criticism of Kerry on the web:

“[The original television networks and leading liberal newspapers] used that power to instill Kerry's false portrait of American veterans as misfits, drug addicts and baby killers into the popular culture."

“When John Kerry made his service in Vietnam the cornerstone of his presidential campaign during the 2004 election, the wounds he had inflicted on millions of Vietnam veterans were re-opened. Many could no longer be silent while a man who had repeated the propaganda of America's enemies rose to the position of Commander-in-Chief.”

http://www.tosettherecordstraight.com/

Rick Santorum, the only Republican candidate that talks sense, is broke and dead in the water.

It looks like Gingrich will survive the mud fest and “be with us” until November.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by weltschmerz Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

God told Bachmann, Cain and Santorum to run.
Something isn't adding up, here.
weltschmerz
weltschmerz

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Why does the gop seem to pick candidates who are 65+ years old?

Is it the fact that the last three they picked who were under this age were somewhat useless or bent?
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Elder Statesmen probably find it easier to hit on old acquaintances for the eye-watering amounts of money required to run for President.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 pm

But how does that explain why the democrate pick someone always seem to pick some one under the age of 55?
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:32 am

In picking a potential president, age, other than thirty five years, should mean nothing, while wisdom, attained through, among other processes, learning from experience throughout whatever span of years one has attained since becoming a cognizant adult (Judaism pegs the transition as occurring at about twelve years of age), should mean more than anything else.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 pm

In picking a potential president, age, other than thirty five years, should mean nothing, while wisdom, attained through, among other processes, learning from experience throughout whatever span of years one has attained since becoming a cognizant adult

But of course you have to take in to account the increased risk of dementia in the older world leader and all the problems that will cause.....Would any country want to admit that it's leader is nolonger able to lead due to dementia....I think not......

Many in Britain will remember Spitting Image running joke sketches of 'The President's Brain is Missing' during the 1980's..........
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:50 pm

and all the problems that will cause

Where's the little boy's room?
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:23 pm

But of course you have to take in to account the increased risk of dementia in the older world leader and all the problems that will cause.....Would any country want to admit that it's leader is nolonger able to lead due to dementia....I think not......
There is some remarkable evidence to suggest that Reagan was showing signs of Alzheimer's during his presidency. Some have gone so far as to say that America was essentially run by his advisers during the later years of his presidency.

For example, Reagan signed into law a bill that would discontinue paying Social Security benefits to college students. Later, Reagan received a scathing letter from a citizen who could no longer attend school due to losing those benefits. Reagan was outraged and demanded to know, "Who would sign something like this?!?"

One of his advisers replied, "Mr. President ... you did."
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next