Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Olympic Games: London 2012

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by True Blue on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:49 am

I couldn't believe that this thread did not exist! Until I came along that is. Cool

In this thread goes everything superficially Olympics. I'll start with the opening... which was good, but not great. Loved the torch lighting tho... that was impressive, visually and symbolically. Liked the history theme... shame it all collapsed into music and fashion for the last four decades... too close to comment upon perhaps? Who knows.

ROFLMFAO... at the NHS segment. WTF was that about? Are you guys so over the moon about your health system... or was it a jibe directed at the US? Australia has a NHS called Medicare, but we'd never conceive of show casing that to the World... not when there are Melbourne Trams lol. Somebody will have to explain what that was all about... I lost the meaning there.

I am hating that architectural monstrosity that is the viewing tower by the way. What do the brits think of it?
avatar
True Blue

Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-11-18
Location : The most liveable city in the World

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:09 am

Flaming cheese-graters!

News has just reached the other side of the World that Socialism is alive and well in the UK, Ozzie newspaper-proprietors notwithstanding.

Just a shame someone decided to cut the scene where Health Secretary Andrew Lansley ceremonially fires all the Nurses in the arena, leaving only the Mary Poppins stand-ins.

Don't blame us for the fact that you have to stay up all night to see what we're doing here, blue. Enjoy the swimming though, won't you? Smile
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 am

At first I thought that large giant puppet dressed in black and scaring the children was Andrew Lansley, coming to destroy the NHS, but then the commentators said it was Voldemort from the Harry Potter books......

avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by True Blue on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:29 am

Oh save me from the swimming... watching splashes move up and down a pool is not my idea of enjoyable viewing. Much rather watch gymnasts or divers myself.

Otherwise, it's no big secret that the UK is a mixed economy... that is socialist/capitalist. But why oh why show case the NHS? Just bizarre... to the point of funny... very very funny.
avatar
True Blue

Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-11-18
Location : The most liveable city in the World

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by True Blue on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 am

astradt1 wrote:At first I thought that large giant puppet dressed in black and scaring the children was Andrew Lansley, coming to destroy the NHS, but then the commentators said it was Voldemort from the Harry Potter books......


Oh so that's who it was eh? I've never read Harry Potter myself.
avatar
True Blue

Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-11-18
Location : The most liveable city in the World

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:32 pm

!948 th last time London (Great Britain) hosted the Olympic's.....

1948 Founding of the National Health Service......

Both, like now in a time of austerity, the differences being then it was a Labour government prepared to invest in the future and now a Tory government doing everything it can to destroy the future for the majority of the population......

I agree with your observation on swimming events.........More interested in seeing the cycling.........one of the few FREE to Watch event when road racing........
avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by moonbeam on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:35 pm

True Blue wrote:I couldn't believe that this thread did not exist! Until I came along that is.
Yes, well. I thought about starting one yesterday, but considering the thread directly under this one is " Do you agree that the Olympics are an obscenity?", I opted not to. Didn't feel like dealing with the haters and cynics. Wink

I watched the ceremony with my 10 yr old son, who asked a ton of questions about what we were seeing. I didn't know too many of the answers- I'm American. But we still enjoyed it.


avatar
moonbeam
Administrator (Security & Presentation)

Posts : 638
Join date : 2011-10-13
Location : Midwestern-ish US

http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:53 pm

You must at least have been able to tell your son something about the Atlanta Games, moonbeam: The 1996 Summer Olympics, known officially as the Games of the XXVI Olympiad and as the Centennial Olympics, was a major international multi-sport event that took place in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, from July 19 to August 4, 1996.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm

A rather irrelevant claim to 'fame' is that, in my prime, I could run faster over 100 metres than any woman in the world. Being a man , this didn't count for much, but it amused me anyway.

So, that's why I never made the Olympics -what's all your excuses...? Very Happy

avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by moonbeam on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm

oftenwrong, we didn't really discuss the previous Olympic games because he didn't ask much about them. He did ask how long they had been doing them though, so I Googled the answer. Smile

Once he saw that the population of each country was given, he did have questions along those lines, like "how many people are in all of Asia / Canada / North America", so I did more Googling for that.

He enjoyed all of the visual effects, and he laughed at Bean's antics on the keyboard (after I explained why *I* was laughing at them). And of course, the "Queen" parachuting in was a hit. Wink

Now, if we're watching together, I get to try and explain some of the sports. I really only care to watch diving, gymnastics, trampoline, and maybe some synchronized swimming. Depending on what's on though, I will watch other stuff, like the swimming races. I want him to watch some of the taekwondo, because he was in karate for about a year and a half. This is the only time I watch sports.

@ Phil- I'm not athletically inclined. If I had to run to save my life, I'd die in short order!







avatar
moonbeam
Administrator (Security & Presentation)

Posts : 638
Join date : 2011-10-13
Location : Midwestern-ish US

http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:56 pm

moonbeam - I'm a bit slower myself these days...! Embarassed
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by moonbeam on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I am really in awe of the Chinese Women's syncronized diving team. They're just outstanding!


avatar
moonbeam
Administrator (Security & Presentation)

Posts : 638
Join date : 2011-10-13
Location : Midwestern-ish US

http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 am

"....the "Queen" parachuting in was a hit."

Unkind people are suggesting that it was Prince Charles' idea to have his Mum jump out of a helicopter at 1000 feet.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

Olympic Opening Ceremony

(zimbio.com)

"....and, of course, Charles, had you done the jump, with those ears of yours you could have dispensed with the parachute ..."
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Ivan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am

True Blue. This thread didn’t exist because, as moonbeam said, there was one on the Olympics already. My first inclination was to merge this one into the other, but as this deals with the events themselves and the other is about the rights and wrongs of it, I decided to leave it. And as we don’t have a sports editor at present, I’m afraid all sport is getting neglected.

Why the mention of the NHS? Well five of the seven years of planning for the Olympics occurred under the Labour governments of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, and while Cameron and Boris Johnson are trying to bask in all the glory, the punters would do well to remember that. The director of the opening ceremony, Danny Boyle, was appointed by Labour and clearly took the opportunity to focus on everything the Tories hate – from the multicultural make-up of the UK to our National Health Service.

The Tories opposed the NHS at its inception in 1948 (the same year in which the UK last held the Olympics) and are in the process of rapidly dismantling it now, with large chunks of it being sold off to people like Richard Branson and private healthcare firms which bankroll the Tories. Apparently Cameron tried to have the NHS part of the opening ceremony removed. Friday’s event was so politically motivated that it resulted in the Tories’ leading Nazi sympathiser, Aidan Burley MP, attacking it on Twitter as “leftist multicultural crap”. I hope that answers your query.

avatar
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

Posts : 7280
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : West Sussex, UK

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Anything which infuriates the rabid right-wing of the Conservative Party is OK by me!
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by moonbeam on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Phil Hornby wrote: Olympic Opening Ceremony

(zimbio.com)

"....and, of course, Charles, had you done the jump, with those ears of yours you could have dispensed with the parachute ..."
bWAhahahah..

I mean... That's harsh! Wink



avatar
moonbeam
Administrator (Security & Presentation)

Posts : 638
Join date : 2011-10-13
Location : Midwestern-ish US

http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Pickles and Cameron at the Equestrian Events

(guardian.co.uk)

" How long have you been interested in horses, Eric?"

" I suppose it all started when I ate a couple for lunch one day..."
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by KnarkyBadger on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 am

Phil Hornby wrote:Pickles and Cameron at the Equestrian Events

(guardian.co.uk)

" How long have you been interested in horses, Eric?"

" I suppose it all started when I ate a couple for lunch one day..."

he he brilliant!
avatar
KnarkyBadger

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 38
Location : Gravesend Kent

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Cameron Addresses That Olympic 'Unfilled Stadiums' Problem

(guardian.co.uk)

" Eric, be a good chap - pop along and fill half-a-dozen seats for us, would you...?"
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Now THAT's funny! It's always comical to see the Tory benches in the Commons bursting at the seams when it's televised.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Stox 16 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 am

moonbeam wrote:
True Blue wrote:I couldn't believe that this thread did not exist! Until I came along that is.
Yes, well. I thought about starting one yesterday, but considering the thread directly under this one is " Do you agree that the Olympics are an obscenity?", I opted not to. Didn't feel like dealing with the haters and cynics. Wink

I watched the ceremony with my 10 yr old son, who asked a ton of questions about what we were seeing. I didn't know too many of the answers- I'm American. But we still enjoyed it.



All that matters Moonbeam is that most people enjoyed it. as what is the Olympics really about when all is said and done? I would say celebration of the world youth and giving a sense of fair play for all. does it really matter if we win or lose or even fully understand everything we see in a ceremony. its one of the very few times when the worlds people get together without first holding a gun or attacking each other over politics.

maybe we should all consider this first and not spend the whole time being some old cynic about it all. As this world is full of both war and death most of the time. so can we not for once get together and celebration of youth and life. What is wrong with that?

I am not a great big fan of Olympic sports as I enjoy my motor sport to much. but I still in enjoy watching the young youth join together and show the whole world that a US boy or Girl can join together with a boy or Girl from say Iraq and play in the same sport and cheer each other on and wish each other well.

WELL THAT HAS TO BE WORTH SOMETHING WITHIN THIS WORLD TO EVERYONE. as in truth if feels me with hope if nothing else.
avatar
Stox 16

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 58
Location : Suffolk in the UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 am

Yesterday we had US swimming coaches questioning the achievements of the 16 year old Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen after she set new records on her way to a gold medal, Then today we have US swimming coaches heaping praise on 27 year old US swimmer Phelps after he achieved a record number of Olympic medals...........Double standards or what?
avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Stox 16 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 am

Ivan wrote:True Blue. This thread didn’t exist because, as moonbeam said, there was one on the Olympics already. My first inclination was to merge this one into the other, but as this deals with the events themselves and the other is about the rights and wrongs of it, I decided to leave it. And as we don’t have a sports editor at present, I’m afraid all sport is getting neglected.

Why the mention of the NHS? Well five of the seven years of planning for the Olympics occurred under the Labour governments of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, and while Cameron and Boris Johnson are trying to bask in all the glory, the punters would do well to remember that. The director of the opening ceremony, Danny Boyle, was appointed by Labour and clearly took the opportunity to focus on everything the Tories hate – from the multicultural make-up of the UK to our National Health Service.

The Tories opposed the NHS at its inception in 1948 (the same year in which the UK last held the Olympics) and are in the process of rapidly dismantling it now, with large chunks of it being sold off to people like Richard Branson and private healthcare firms which bankroll the Tories. Apparently Cameron tried to have the NHS part of the opening ceremony removed. Friday’s event was so politically motivated that it resulted in the Tories’ leading Nazi sympathiser, Aidan Burley MP, attacking it on Twitter as “leftist multicultural crap”. I hope that answers your query.


Have you thought about this Ivan? as everything in that show the Tory Government tells us it cares about..... yet many Tory supporter hated the show? So witch group would you like to believe? one or the other? or is the real truth that just hated it all deep down?
avatar
Stox 16

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2011-12-18
Age : 58
Location : Suffolk in the UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 am

More Olympic News
(guardian.co.uk)

" ...and when we get in the Stadium, Eric, for God's sake don't sneeze near that flame..."
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 am

Phil Hornby wrote:
A rather irrelevant claim to 'fame' is that, in my prime, I could run faster over 100 metres than any woman in the world. Being a man , this didn't count for much, but it amused me anyway.

I saw that 100 meter rece back in 1988 at the Slippery Rock State College Cross Pond Relays. Jackie Joyner-Kersee cleaned your clock.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Phil Hornby on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm

(guardian.co.uk)

" I hear you've nominated me to take part in the Olympic Archery, David!"

" Yes, Eric - you're having those coloured target rings painted on your arse on Monday..."


Last edited by Phil Hornby on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3991
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by moonbeam on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm

She rocked it, didn't she?!


avatar
moonbeam
Administrator (Security & Presentation)

Posts : 638
Join date : 2011-10-13
Location : Midwestern-ish US

http://notmsnmoney.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 pm

astradt1 wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by astradt1 on Wed 1 Aug 2012 - 0:18

Yesterday we had US swimming coaches questioning the achievements of the 16 year old Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen after she set new records on her way to a gold medal,

After the race, US citizens, including me, publicly and privately expressed doubt that Ye, a Chinese swimmer, has refrained from use of illicit performance-enhancing drugs in training and performances.

astradt1 wrote:
Then today we have US swimming coaches heaping praise on 27 year old US swimmer Phelps after he achieved a record number of Olympic medals...........

On the day of Michael Phelps’ historic achievement, an achievement you’ve acknowledged in your own publicly-published words (“Phelps… achieved a record number of Olympic medals”), US citizens, including me, praised the man who has dedicated a significant portion of his life, including eight hours training per day, seven days per week, fifty-two weeks per year, for five straight years, 2003 through most of 2008, to earn six Gold Medals in 2004 and eight Gold Medals in 2008.

Unlike Chinese athletes, who have a documented history of “popping positive”, Michael Phelps has passed every piss test he has taken throughout twelve years of Olympic competition, 2000-2012, on three continents, Australia, Europe, and Asia, in four countries, Australia, Greece China, and Great Britain, in four cities, Sydney, Athens, Beijing, and London.

astradt1 wrote:
Double standards or what?

Yes. Your double standard is publicly exhibited.

Star Spangled Banner - Marvin Gaye
http://www.youtube.com/v/QRvVzaQ6i8A


Last edited by RockOnBrother on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:18 am


Moonbeam,

Gabby Douglas blew the roof off the sucker.

Her Fab Five teammate, Aly Raisman? “She wuz robbed!” Her third place finish deserves a Bronze Medal, period.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by KnarkyBadger on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:06 am

Today is a great day in Olympic History! As some of you on twitter might know I lost interest in the olympics after the end of the Sabre competion last sunday but today, my disinterest is on hold as South Africa's Oscar Pistorious aka Blade runner is up against the worlds best 400metre runners. This is an immensely proud day for me as a disabled person to see one of our own compete on the worlds biggest stage equal with able bodied athletes.
avatar
KnarkyBadger

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 38
Location : Gravesend Kent

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:18 am

Chinese athletes, who have a documented history of “popping positive”,

So this is the standard American (USV) attitude that if one does it they all must do it....A bit like the Muslim terrorist thing many Americans (USV) have.

Now that Ye has so far tested negative for drugs are the US swim coaches going to apologise or are they just going to stick to their false allegations?

Roc why do you think that I have double standards? I as you say I acknowledged Phelps achievement I was only questioning the American(USV) slant that if a sports competitor from another country achieves something extraordinary it must be down to drugs but if an American(USV) does it, it's down to hard work!!!!!

That is far more about double standards than my opinion............

avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by KnarkyBadger on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 am

Oscar Pistorius finishes 2nd in 1st heat and Qualifies for next round!!
avatar
KnarkyBadger

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 38
Location : Gravesend Kent

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:38 pm

We've paid £9billion for the Olympic Games.

Do at least try to enjoy something whilst it's on. If all else fails, give Boris a cheer for getting stuck, and getting away with it. Could any of the Coalition Front Bench have survived such embarassment?
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 12029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Why is it the 'Royal' princes seem to have so much leave from their 'everyday jobs'?

Why isn't Harry doing security checks like many of the other soldiers who have had their leave stopped?

How come Dave C seems to have so many event tickets when he said that all MP's had to go through the same process as the common people?
avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 pm

astradt1 wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by astradt1 Today at 10:18

Chinese athletes, who have a documented history of “popping positive”,
So this is the standard American (USV) attitude that if one does it they all must do it....

I’ve spoken not of “the standard American (USV) attitude that if one does it they all must do it” in my post. Perhaps you might read and understand before responding.

RockOnBrother wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by RockOnBrother Yesterday at 16:53
astradt1 wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by astradt1 on Wed 1 Aug 2012 - 0:18

Yesterday we had US swimming coaches questioning the achievements of the 16 year old Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen after she set new records on her way to a gold medal,
After the race, US citizens, including me, publicly and privately expressed doubt that Ye, a Chinese swimmer, has refrained from use of illicit performance-enhancing drugs in training and performances.
astradt1 wrote:
Then today we have US swimming coaches heaping praise on 27 year old US swimmer Phelps after he achieved a record number of Olympic medals...........
On the day of Michael Phelps’ historic achievement, an achievement you’ve acknowledged in your own publicly-published words (“Phelps… achieved a record number of Olympic medals”), US citizens, including me, praised the man who has dedicated a significant portion of his life, including eight hours training per day, seven days per week, fifty-two weeks per year, for five straight years, 2003 through most of 2008, to earn six Gold Medals in 2004 and eight Gold Medals in 2008.

Unlike Chinese athletes, who have a documented history of “popping positive”, Michael Phelps has passed every piss test he has taken throughout twelve years of Olympic competition, 2000-2012, on three continents, Australia, Europe, and Asia, in four countries, Australia, Greece China, and Great Britain, in four cities, Sydney, Athens, Beijing, and London.
astradt1 wrote:
Double standards or what?
Yes. Your double standard is publicly exhibited.

Star Spangled Banner - Marvin Gaye
http://www.youtube.com/v/QRvVzaQ6i8A
astradt1 wrote:
A bit like the Muslim terrorist thing many Americans (USV) have.

I’ve spoken not of “the Muslim terrorist thing many Americans (USV) have” in my post. Perhaps you might read and understand before responding.

RockOnBrother wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by RockOnBrother Yesterday at 16:53
astradt1 wrote:
Re: Olympic Games: London 2012
by astradt1 on Wed 1 Aug 2012 - 0:18

Yesterday we had US swimming coaches questioning the achievements of the 16 year old Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen after she set new records on her way to a gold medal,
After the race, US citizens, including me, publicly and privately expressed doubt that Ye, a Chinese swimmer, has refrained from use of illicit performance-enhancing drugs in training and performances.
astradt1 wrote:
Then today we have US swimming coaches heaping praise on 27 year old US swimmer Phelps after he achieved a record number of Olympic medals...........
On the day of Michael Phelps’ historic achievement, an achievement you’ve acknowledged in your own publicly-published words (“Phelps… achieved a record number of Olympic medals”), US citizens, including me, praised the man who has dedicated a significant portion of his life, including eight hours training per day, seven days per week, fifty-two weeks per year, for five straight years, 2003 through most of 2008, to earn six Gold Medals in 2004 and eight Gold Medals in 2008.

Unlike Chinese athletes, who have a documented history of “popping positive”, Michael Phelps has passed every piss test he has taken throughout twelve years of Olympic competition, 2000-2012, on three continents, Australia, Europe, and Asia, in four countries, Australia, Greece China, and Great Britain, in four cities, Sydney, Athens, Beijing, and London.
astradt1 wrote:
Double standards or what?
Yes. Your double standard is publicly exhibited.

Star Spangled Banner - Marvin Gaye
http://www.youtube.com/v/QRvVzaQ6i8A
astradt1 wrote:
A bit like the Muslim terrorist thing many Americans (USV) have.

Off topic.

astradt1 wrote:
Now that Ye has so far tested negative for drugs are the US swim coaches going to apologise or are they just going to stick to their false allegations?

Since I’m not “the US swim coaches”, I cannot answer a question asked of “the US swim coaches.”

astradt1 wrote:
Roc why do you think that I have double standards?

I do not “think that [you] have double standards.” I know that you have a double standard.

astradt1 wrote:
I as you say I acknowledged Phelps achievement I was only questioning the American(USV) slant that if a sports competitor from another country achieves something extraordinary it must be down to drugs but if an American(USV) does it, it's down to hard work!!!!!  

Since “the American(USV) slant that if a sports competitor from another country achieves something extraordinary it must be down to drugs but if an American(USV) does it, it's down to hard work” does not exist, you were “only questioning” that which does not exist.

astradt1 wrote:
That is far more about double standards than my opinion............

Your double standard remains evident.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:40 pm

KnarkyBadger wrote:
Today is a great day in Olympic History!… South Africa's Oscar Pistorious aka Blade runner is up against the worlds best 400metre runners.
KnarkyBadger wrote:
Oscar Pistorius finishes 2nd in 1st heat and Qualifies for next round!!

Oscar Pistorious is an Olympian. Few athletes can lay claim to that honor. If he medals, the world will rejoice with him.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by astradt1 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Roc

Seeing as Ye Shiwen as NOT tested positive for performance enhancing substances, would you care to agree that she managed a remarkable feat of winning Two Gold medals at the age of 16?

avatar
astradt1
Moderator

Posts : 965
Join date : 2011-10-08
Age : 62
Location : East Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by ROB on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:58 pm

astradt1 wrote:
Roc

Seeing as Ye Shiwen as NOT tested positive for performance enhancing substances, would you care to agree that she managed a remarkable feat of winning Two Gold medals at the age of 16?

If she’s “clean”, yes. Since she’s a member of the Chinese contingent, and Chinese athletes have often tested positive, I’ll wait and doubt until a few years have passed.

Marion Jones was stripped of her medals and wins years afterwards. Perhaps it was five years, perhaps more. I’ll wait at least five years before being comfortable with Ye’s wins.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Olympic Games: London 2012

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum