Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Greatest I am on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Should Governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNHM84lBA0

These lies were and are given to insure social harmony in an uneducated and gullible population. Our Governments lie and allow liars to lie to us of the supernatural, fantasy and magic.

Governments learned a long ago that religions were a good tool to use for social manipulation and control. Governments allowed and encouraged belief in fantasy, miracles and magic, the opium of the masses, and have lived with the drugged up population and religions.

Governments, with this noble lie, have maintained the current idiocy of immoral teachings within religions and have caused much unjust discrimination and denigration of innocent populations of Gays, women and many others, for just doing what we now see as moral.

Do you think we have matured enough as a people that we can now rescind the laws that protect religions and gives them a tax haven and legitimacy?

Are we intelligent enough to not need these lies anymore?

Can the population take our real reality or is the Government just going to let the flim-flam con game of religions to continue to damage the mental capabilities of the citizens in our country?

Flim-flam and con artists are subject to the law of the land. --- except for religions.

Can the population of take the truth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4QXOgVfY9k&feature=player_embedded


Regards
DL
avatar
Greatest I am

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2012-04-25

Back to top Go down


Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am

Hebrew Bible

Strange how God waited until the fourth day to actually create the sun even though the plants and the terms "day" and "night" were created before the sun. Considering plants require sunlight to live, well ... hmm ...

Though I suppose if people in the Bronze Age had no conception of photosynthesis, I could see how they might screw that up.

Also, the Bible doesn't mention how the earth was warmed for four "days" (however long they were) without a nearby star. A frozen planet isn't very conducive to liquid water or plant life.

Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by ROB on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Shirina wrote:
Strange how God waited until the fourth day to actually create the sun even though the plants and the terms "day" and "night" were created before the sun.

No it’s not.

RockOnBrother wrote:
Genesis 1 is poetry. Genesis 1 is true; A Dream Deferred is true. When Western minds try to dissect Genesis 1:2 and following in the same manner that Western minds dissect masters theses, Western minds miss the reality/truth conveyed by the poetry.

Westerners would do well to take on the mentality of William Ernest Henley and Nelson Mandela when assessing Genesis 1:2 and following. If we did so, perhaps we would understand the significance of the seventh day and the significance of gender inclusive man’s creation on the sixth day. These significances are in the poetry.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by snowyflake on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroevolution

Hi Rock

Can you look at Wikipedia for a minute and see what you make of this in regards to macroevolution. Please follow the links. I think it is convincing evidence for macroevolution. My personal thoughts are that every living being on the planet has DNA and following the DNA path to the past actually confirms that we descended from a common ancestor. We can do this for most species on the planet.

As far as biblical poetry is concerned, to some it might sound beautiful. To me it sounds forced and ugly because it proclaims it as fact when there is no way for the bronze age desert dwellers to know for certain. It boggles my mind that intelligent people take the bible as fact when it is no more historical than the Greek or Roman mythologies. We don't even know for certain that Jesus was a real person and not just a fictional character in a story. There is no evidence for his existence let alone anything else about his life. He might be as real as Hercules. And if that is true, then his whole story is based on a lie no matter how valuable some people view Jesus' teachings. And if any of that is even remotely true it makes a mockery of faith.

Take care of yourself Rock. Smile

avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/s4yp7/the-dark-ages-an-age-of-light--series-1---1-the-clash-of-the-gods


Waldemar Januszczak embarks on a trip around the world to discover if the Dark Ages were actually a time of great artistic achievement, inspired by novel ideas and religion. In the first edition, he discovers how Christianity emerged into the Roman Empire in the third and fourth centuries, and how the absence of a description of Jesus led them to draw on images of ancient Gods for inspiration.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11750
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by snowyflake on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Perhaps the universe is 13.7 billion years old, perhaps not; I remain puzzled by the determination that a universe that emanates from a singularity, one point, is 154 billion light years across and 13.7 billion years old simultaneously

I think you have to be a cosmologist to really understand this. The
observable
universe is 13.7 billion years old. Hope this helps. Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by ROB on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 am

snowyflake wrote:
As far as biblical poetry is concerned… To me it sounds forced and ugly because it proclaims it as fact when there is no way for the bronze age desert dwellers to know for certain.

Snowy,

Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 through Genesis 2:4 are separate things which ought to be considered separately; accordingly, I’ll consider them separately.


  • Genesis 1:1. Either Genesis 1:1 is fact, or the “who-what-when-where” of Big Bang is not fact. Take your pick. Here’s how that works.

    If A=C, and if B=C, then A=B. No way over it, around it, under it, or through it; pump the brakes and stop right there.

    Since Big Bang = a certain previously stated “who-what-when-where”, and Genesis 1:1 = a certain previously stated “who-what-when-where”, then Big Bang = Genesis 1:1. No way over it, around it, under it, or through it; pump the brakes and stop right there.



  • Genesis 1:2-2:4. Genesis 1:2 and following (click here to view text in a previous message) is poetry; accordingly, as its truth and its significance reside within its poetry, one must access the poetry to access its truth and its significance.

    I asked you how long a Genesis 1:2 through Genesis 2:4 “day” might be. Can you provide an answer, given the definition of yôm? Can you provide geographic coordinates as to the location of the night, the pit and the poles? I would appreciate an answer in any way you choose to provide it.

    How can this poetry be ugly? Were folks who lived during the so-called bronze age of such character that what they wrote was inherently ugly? I don’t like Wordsworth’s Daffodils, or Sitting on a Couch, or whatever that ditty is about a grown man lying on a couch contemplating some silly flower in a field somewhere rather than Gina Lollobrigida smiling at him, but I don’t think his silly poem is ugly just because he’s of a previous age. As a matter of fact, I don’t consider his poem ugly at all; just silly and useless to me.

    Canadians are Westerners. Americans USV are Westerners. We’re usually prone to analyze poetry in the same manner as we analyze technical manuals. Were we still in the Bronze Age circa 200-300 AD? I believe that’s about when Westerners assembled in various conferences analyzed Genesis. , including Genesis 1:2 through 2:4, and figured out an exact age of everything. Never mind that yôm can’t be pinpointed; those analytical minds were incapable of seeing the truth in the poetry.    


Even if you miss the truth in the poetry, some of that truth applies to you. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God, Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called Sons of God.” These are the words of one whose existence you doubt and who spoke of you before your most distant known ancestors were born.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 am

How far do you go with this, Rock? If we believe in Genesis 1:1, doesn't that mean we have to believe in the claptrap of Adam and Eve, original sin, and serpents losing their feet?
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by ROB on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 am

Shirina wrote:
How far do you go with this, Rock?

As far as “this” takes me, Shirina. I’ve not reached journey’s end, so with acknowledgment given to Robert Frost, the author of these words: “The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.”

Shirina wrote:
… claptrap…

That is a judgmental word, used by an author for the sole purpose of disrespecting/denigrating/disdaining that which the author so labels; as you are created by your Creator into freedom of choice, you are free to label as “claptrap” anything you so choose. I’ll not accompany you that way; the woods through which I travel lead me down a different road.

Shirina wrote:
If we believe in Genesis 1:1, doesn't that mean we have to believe in… Adam1 and Eve2…?

No.

Shirina wrote:
original sin3…?

No.

Shirina wrote:
serpents losing their feet?4

No.

Genesis 1:1 is posted below, in transliterated Hebrew and in common English translation with Elohim left in transliterated Hebrew for clarity.

Hebrew Bible

“B’r’shythe bara Elohim et hashamayim ve’et ha’arets”, Hebrew.

“In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth”, English.

In neither the transliterated Hebrew text nor the common English text of Genesis 1:1 are the four referenced words and phrases about which you’ve asked found; accordingly, you are free to believe Genesis 1:1/Big Bang/that certain “who-what-when-where” without believing in or even knowing of Genesis 2-3, the chapters in which the referenced words about which you’ve asked are found.  
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by ROB on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 am

snowyflake wrote:
Perhaps the universe is 13.7 billion years old, perhaps not; I remain puzzled by the determination that a universe that emanates from a singularity, one point, is 154 billion light years across and 13.7 billion years old simultaneously
I think you have to be a cosmologist to really understand this. The
observable
universe is 13.7 billion years old. Hope this helps. Smile

Snowy,

I’ve partially read the linked article about the extent of the universe. Observable distance a diameter of 78 billion light years 360/360 from whatever observation point throughout the universe at which one might find oneself? I had to take six Tylenols and lay myself down for awhile after that one! I’ll finish that article in bits and pieces.

Here’s something a bit more understandable regarding micro-evolution, specifically natural selection in overdrive rendering a species hardier and more resilient.  

Did you know...
From Wikipedia's newest content:

  • ... that Mary Barber discovered that natural selection caused penicillin resistance to increase in Staphylococcus bacteria?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm

That is a judgmental word, used by an author for the sole purpose of disrespecting/denigrating/disdaining that which the author so labels

I do, in fact, disdain it. I think it is one of the most horrible stories ever written, a story that has led billions to believe that they are worthless pond scum and set them on a course of dependency upon religion.

It reminds me, in a way, of when I started getting just a little too old to believe in Santa. I knew rationally that Santa was fictitious. I began gathering evidence almost from the moment I was introduced to the Santa story. Why does my father's and Santa's handwriting match? Why is there a K-Mart price tag on this gift if Santa's elves made it at the North Pole? How can Santa climb down the chimney if my house doesn't have a chimney? If Santa landed on the roof of my house, why is the snow up there undisturbed? Oh the list was quite long.

But here's the catch. Even though my rational mind knew that Santa was a fake, I was so worried that NOT believing in Santa would result in receiving no more presents that I kept believing well after I shouldn't have. Of course, Christmas presents pale in comparison to one's immortal soul, so I can only imagine the tug-of-war that must rage in many people's minds regarding religion. How many thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions of people know in their minds that these religious stories are hogwash, but are so shackled by their fear of "what if" that they keep forcing themselves to believe? I bet it's a huge number.

When one is told from an early age that you're nothing without God, not worth a bucket of piss all because you inherited the sin of some women who bit into a fruit thousands of years ago, it's no wonder why so many are afraid to let go.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by ROB on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:21 pm

RockOnBrother wrote:
That is a judgmental word, used by an author for the sole purpose of disrespecting/denigrating/disdaining that which the author so labels…
Shirina wrote:
I do, in fact, disdain it.

As a member of ha adama created in the image of Elohim on the sixth yôm, you have been created into freedom of choice by your Creator; thus, you are free to disdain whatsoever you choose to disdain. As you travel this particular road of disdain, you do so unaccompanied by me.

Shirina wrote:
I think it is one of the most horrible stories ever written,1 a story that has led billions to believe that they are worthless pond scum2 and set them on a course of dependency upon religion.3
 

  1. I think that you are wrong (my opinion).
  2. I know that you are wrong (fact).
  3. I know that you are wrong (fact).


If you wish to know why, ask the question; if the question remains unasked by you, the question will remain unanswered by me.

Shirina wrote:
When one is told from an early age that you're nothing without God, not worth a bucket of piss all because you inherited the sin of some women who bit into a fruit thousands of years ago, it's no wonder why so many are afraid to let go.

I was never told that from an early age. If you wish to know what I was told from an early age, ask the question; if the question remains unasked by you, the question will remain unanswered by me.
avatar
ROB
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by snowyflake on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Rock

I don't equate Genesis 1:1 with the Big Bang theory. I know you do. There are thousands of creation myths out there. The words, "In the beginning God created the heavens and earth" is no more revealing than "It was a dark and stormy night". You make the connection but I do not. For me, the bible is nothing more than fiction written by ancient people. None of it is true and the fact that 2000 years has passed and God is still in absentia ought to be a clue.

The fact that we don't understand cosmology, astrophysics, neuroscience, epigenetics and the myriad of other specialised sciences out there doesn't mean we can just discount the evidence out of hand either. I have loyalty to truth but I also know my mental limitations and the limitations of my knowledge and understanding. I'm not particularly smart or educated but I know what makes sense to me. I say "prove it". God cannot in any way be proved or disproved but from the evidence of my own life I can categorically state there is no God. If it turns out I'm wrong, my first question would be "why were you hiding?" My second question would be "what's the point"? My third question would be "what are you for"? And there are dozens of other questions I would ask. But my heart says that belief is delusion and based on wishful thinking and fear of death, the not-being. Our arrogance in our own importance is what I think drives belief. Take that away and you have a human being who is not encumbered with bias, hatred, intolerance, judgement. A person who does not believe in the Abrahamic God can love all people no matter what their race, religion, gender, age or sexual orientation and that's the kind of life I want to live. I have hope in the human spirit. I do not think the world is going to hell in a handbasket like some on this forum. The world is much better than it was even 40 years ago. The Christian cynics on this board are the ones that perpetuate the negativity of the world and base that on biblical 'prophecy'. Forget it! The prophecies have been prophesied for millenia and nothing has happened. Every generation thinks it's heading for Armegeddon.

Anyway, that is just my opinion based on the available evidence. The likelihood of God, to me, is nil.

Take care, Rock.
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by polyglide on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 am

If you want evidence of the existance of God and the Devil, just look at the state of the world and the difference in the opinions on this site between those who believe in God and those who believe in creation and those who just do not understand what is goning on and believe in the everything came from a little pool os water, theory.

Just consider the life and all that is involved in a bee hive and think, think, think, could this have come about by chance and if so how?

avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by snowyflake on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

If you want evidence of the existance of God and the Devil,

You don't have any. You keep saying it's all man's fault that the world is in the state it's in and then you blame the Devil for it. Which is it? Does God not bear any responsibility for not protecting his creation?

The state of the world is due largely to the defending of the unfounded beliefs of the uneducated masses. You don't see scientists bombing each others laboratories because someone disagreed with them or didn't believe their theory. You don't see atheists running amok burning flags, murdering and rioting in the streets in the name of atheism. Reason and education will save our planet. Not God, Allah, Jesus, Shiva, Buddha, Thor, Zeus, Ashara or any of the other 3000 gods past and present. It will be science that saves us and it will be religion that destroys us if we are not careful.

avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 58
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm

David Cameron's proposals to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies on Church Property are not apparently supported by everyone concerned.

May we yet see this thread amalgamated with the one entitled "Is this another Tory scandal brewing"?
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11750
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by bobby on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 pm


Why on earth would a pair of queers want to get married in a church that see's their goings on as a mortal sin, its like a Cow wanting to hold a birthday party in an abattoir.
avatar
bobby

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Phil Hornby on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

The full embedding of the 'equalities agenda' clearly has some way to go... Very Happy
avatar
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Posts : 3942
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Drifting on Easy Street

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Why on earth would a pair of queers want to get married in a church that see's their goings on as a mortal sin, its like a Cow wanting to hold a birthday party in an abattoir.

Yet an adulterer can freely marry his mistress on church property -- yet adultery and homosexuality are equally sinful given that both carried a death sentence.

What I see is bigotry not morality in play.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by oftenwrong on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Aesops Fable:

A Dog looking for its afternoon nap jumped into the Manger of an Ox and lay there cosily upon the straw. But soon the Ox, returning from its work, came up to the Manger and wanted to eat some of the straw. The Dog in a rage, being awakened from its slumber, stood up and barked at the Ox, and whenever it came near attempted to bite it.
At last the Ox had to give up the hope of getting at the straw, and went away.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11750
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:26 am

A Dog looking for its afternoon nap jumped into the Manger of an Ox and lay there cosily upon the straw.

And the moral of the story is: If you're a dog, never sleep in an ox's manger or else you'll get mange.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am

C'mon you mutt. Walkies!



avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11750
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by bobby on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Shirina said: Yet an adulterer can freely marry his mistress on church property.

Actually Shirina I dont think thats quite right, as if you want to marry in the church, you have to declare "you are not already Married", and if you falsely make such a declaration, the marriage will be null and void. Meaning that, if you divorce your missus then go about marrying who was your mistress its OK as the minute the ink on your divorce papers is dry, your ex mistress becomes you fiancé or whatever, but is no longer your mistress.
avatar
bobby

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Actually Shirina I dont think thats quite right, as if you want to marry in the church, you have to declare "you are not already Married"
True.

What I meant to say is that, even though the couple violated one of God's rules that carries the same death penalty as homosexuality, no church (aside from perhaps the most orthodox Catholic church) would refuse to marry them. Keep in mind that committing adultery is a sin and it remains a sin even if both parties eventually divorce their spurned spouses. Even if you stop cheating on your wife by divorcing her, you are still an adulterer and, according to the OT, deserve to die for it. Yet adulterers are still allowed to be married. In fact, so are people who have been convicted of spousal abuse and even people who have murdered their previous spouse. Apparently religion believes that homosexuality is even more heinous than beatings and murder. Otherwise, anyone who has committed a "marriage sin" would be banned from marrying, not just the gays. Hence the bigotry.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by oftenwrong on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

There seems to be only one other word that can be used in substitution for "heterosexual", and that word is "straight".

So why are there dozens and dozens of words that describe gays?
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11750
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by bobby on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 pm

OW Said: There seems to be only one other word that can be used in substitution for "heterosexual", and that word is "straight".

So why are there dozens and dozens of words that describe gays?

Its funny though isn't it OW, they refer to we hetrosexuals as straight, but object to being called bent.
avatar
bobby

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Shirina on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Its funny though isn't it OW, they refer to we hetrosexuals as straight, but object to being called bent.

Heh heh, probably because "bent" can be synonymous with "crazy."

There seems to be only one other word that can be used in substitution for "heterosexual", and that word is "straight".

There is a small number of militant gays who aren't particularly fond of straight people. I've heard them refer to heterosexuals pejoratively as "breeders."
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by bobby on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 pm

I've heard them refer to heterosexuals pejoratively as "breeders."


Hello Shirina. With five Boys and two girls, I most certainly am one of those.

avatar
bobby

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by tlttf on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 am

Just the one girl bobby and one grandson. Does that mean I'm not sure. Very Happy

tlttf
Banned

Posts : 1029
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by bobby on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

Just the one girl bobby and one grandson. Does that mean I'm not sure. Very Happy

Erm, I'm not sure.Wink
avatar
bobby

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2011-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by polyglide on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 am

The word normal springs to mind but let us not go there.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm

bobby wrote:
Why on earth would a pair of queers want to get married in a church that see's their goings on as a mortal sin, its like a Cow wanting to hold a birthday party in an abattoir.
Do you think it's possible they have their own interpretation of what their god finds sinful, and it doesn't include dogma that would damn them to everlasting torture just for being born gay?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Guest wrote:
Shirina wrote:
Strange how God waited until the fourth day to actually create the sun even though the plants and the terms "day" and "night" were created before the sun.

No it’s not.

RockOnBrother wrote:
Genesis 1 is poetry. Genesis 1 is true; A Dream Deferred is true. When Western minds try to dissect Genesis 1:2 and following in the same manner that Western minds dissect masters theses, Western minds miss the reality/truth conveyed by the poetry.

Westerners would do well to take on the mentality of William Ernest Henley and Nelson Mandela when assessing Genesis 1:2 and following. If we did so, perhaps we would understand the significance of the seventh day and the significance of gender inclusive man’s creation on the sixth day. These significances are in the poetry.
You don't think the assertion that a deity created all the plant life, and daylight, on this planet, made as it was by ignorant superstitious humans, BEFORE it created the sun in our solar system is strange? Really? I think you do don't you, or at least you would if you viewed the claim in he context of ancient superstitious humans trying to guess how our world was formed.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Guest wrote:
Shirina wrote:
How far do you go with this, Rock?

As far as “this” takes me, Shirina. I’ve not reached journey’s end, so with acknowledgment given to Robert Frost, the author of these words: “The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.”

Shirina wrote:
… claptrap…

That is a judgmental word, used by an author for the sole purpose of disrespecting/denigrating/disdaining that which the author so labels; as you are created by your Creator into freedom of choice, you are free to label as “claptrap” anything you so choose. I’ll not accompany you that way; the woods through which I travel lead me down a different road.

Shirina wrote:
If we believe in Genesis 1:1, doesn't that mean we have to believe in… Adam1 and Eve2…?

No.

Shirina wrote:
original sin3…?

No.

Shirina wrote:
serpents losing their feet?4

No.

Genesis 1:1 is posted below, in transliterated Hebrew and in common English translation with Elohim left in transliterated Hebrew for clarity.

Hebrew Bible

“B’r’shythe bara Elohim et hashamayim ve’et ha’arets”, Hebrew.

“In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth”, English.

In neither the transliterated Hebrew text nor the common English text of Genesis 1:1 are the four referenced words and phrases about which you’ve asked found; accordingly, you are free to believe Genesis 1:1/Big Bang/that certain “who-what-when-where” without believing in or even knowing of Genesis 2-3, the chapters in which the referenced words about which you’ve asked are found.  
Why did God use ancient Aramaic anyway? Being omniscient he must have know what a limited shelf life it would have, and the problems of getting a clean translation. pokenest 
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 pm

polyglide wrote:If you want evidence of the existance of God and the Devil, just look at the state of the world and the difference in the opinions on this site between those who believe in God and those who believe in creation and those who just do not understand what is goning on and believe in the everything came from a little pool os water, theory.

Just consider the life and all that is involved in a bee hive and think, think, think, could this have come about by chance and if so how?

Complexity comes from random occurrences given enough time and repetition, it's a mathematical certainty. No metaphysical explanation is required for humans disagreeing, that's just an absurd leap with no evidence. Your comments on evolution are only proving you are entirely ignorant of it, and really ought not to comment, or if you must then read a little about it, Professor Dawkins has some seminal books in this filed. In one of his books, I believe it was the selfish gene, he actually dedicated a chapter to bees and beehives, fascinating stuff, no magic though, nor anything metaphysical. You really should read it.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3162
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Should governments rescind the noble lie of religions?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum