Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you

+7
woolyback
whitbyforklift
Red Rackham
Shirina
oftenwrong
boatlady
skwalker1964
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you Empty 6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you

Post by skwalker1964 Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Not sure this quite fits as a 'favourites' topic, but since the '6 things you've never done' thread isn't really one either, I'll put it here and hope for the best! I enjoyed reading that thread just now, but knowing what people haven't done tells you more about what they're not than what they are, I guess. So I thought knowing 6 positive things about each other might be a good idea - things that are unusual or might otherwise surprise people to know about you.

So here are mine:

1) I speak 5 languages and can get by in others
2) I've been to 54 countries so far
3) I've had malaria (the palcifarum type)
4) My wife and kids only semi-jokingly ask if I'm a spy
5) I've eaten snake, rat and brain
6) I left Kinshasa just before fighting broke out there, Beirut just before Israel bombed the airport, Tunis just before the 'Arab Spring' and Damascus just before the Syrian uprising

Look forward to others' contributions!
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you Empty Re: 6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you

Post by boatlady Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow Steve, don't think I can top that, but I'm definitely going to have a go at this
1) I prefer cruising on the Broads to foreign travel
2) My first husband was a transvestite
3) I have a degree in Religious Studies and Philosophy
4)I have visited Egypt 3 times
5) I live in a haunted house
6) I never thought about politics until after I was 61
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you Empty Re: 6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 pm

He's five foot two and he's six feet four
He fights with missiles and with spears
He's all of thirty-one and he's only seventeen
Been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew
And he knows he shouldn't kill and he knows he always will
Kill you for me my friend and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada
He's fighting for France, he's fighting for the U.S.A.
And he's fighting for the Russians
And he's fighting for Japan
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way

And he's fighting for Democracy, he's fighting for the Reds
{ From: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] }
He says "It's for the peace of all"
He's the one who must decide, who's to live and who's to die
And he never sees the writing on the wall

But without him
How would Hitler have condemned him at Labau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone
He's the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war
And without him all this killing can't go on
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Oh! You're not Donovan are you?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 pm

No. Nor Buffie Saint-Marie either, Sorry!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Damn!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 am

boatlady wrote:Wow Steve, don't think I can top that, but I'm definitely going to have a go at this
1) I prefer cruising on the Broads to foreign travel
2) My first husband was a transvestite
3) I have a degree in Religious Studies and Philosophy
4)I have visited Egypt 3 times
5) I live in a haunted house
6) I never thought about politics until after I was 61

I don't know about that - I think a few of yours top mine! lol

Tell me more about the haunted house? And was him being a TV why he's your ex?
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 am

Steve
My house being haunted isn't very exciting or dramatic.
The previous owner was born in the house, along with her two sisters, and died aged 90 after an accident in the back bedroom. For some reason, she seems to haver been unable to leave. When I viewed the house I distinctly heard her say 'Oh good, you're here - sit down' and despite the very dilapidated condition of the property immediately felt I wanted to buy it.
When my husband moved in, he often heard her pottering around in the back bedroom.
We don't see or hear her any more, but a friend, who is a bit psychic, says she has seen her at the top of the stairs near where she had her fall.

As to the first husband - he's ex because after 11 years of marriage I found we didn't get along any more - knew he was TV when we married, and it didn't make a difference. We just turned out, as you sometimes do, to have different goals.
He got on with his life and has finally achieved his aim of being a published author - no, haven't read any of his books - never really liked his writing.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:14 pm

boatlady wrote:Steve
My house being haunted isn't very exciting or dramatic.
The previous owner was born in the house, along with her two sisters, and died aged 90 after an accident in the back bedroom. For some reason, she seems to haver been unable to leave. When I viewed the house I distinctly heard her say 'Oh good, you're here - sit down' and despite the very dilapidated condition of the property immediately felt I wanted to buy it.
When my husband moved in, he often heard her pottering around in the back bedroom.
We don't see or hear her any more, but a friend, who is a bit psychic, says she has seen her at the top of the stairs near where she had her fall.

As to the first husband - he's ex because after 11 years of marriage I found we didn't get along any more - knew he was TV when we married, and it didn't make a difference. We just turned out, as you sometimes do, to have different goals.
He got on with his life and has finally achieved his aim of being a published author - no, haven't read any of his books - never really liked his writing.

Thank you! I'd say hearing a ghostly voice was fairly exciting! lol
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Amazingly undramatic, in reality - no raised blood pressure, no creeping flesh, no drop in temperature - a bit like your gran saying hello
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:57 pm

I know what it's like to live in a haunted house ... I spent my adolescence in one, and it was pretty dramatic.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Oh, do tell!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 pm

boatlady wrote:Amazingly undramatic, in reality - no raised blood pressure, no creeping flesh, no drop in temperature - a bit like your gran saying hello

Ha, clearly you never met my gran...
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Rackham Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 am

I'm sure there are things I've done in my life that would surprise people. But what surprises me is the information people are willing to put on the internet about themselves.
Red Rackham
Red Rackham

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Red Rackham wrote:I'm sure there are things I've done in my life that would surprise people. But what surprises me is the information people are willing to put on the internet about themselves.

I guess for the most part, people here have the cover of an avatar and a username. My own is my real name, but I don't feel there was anything risky or untoward about what I disclosed. Smile
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Rackham Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 pm

You may think my attitude a little extreme, most people do. People are not nearly as information secure as they should be (Me included) I don't know if you use 'Facebook' but have you seen the information people put there? It's incredible. I have asked friends & family not to put personal info on facebook, they assure me they know what they are doing! People are naive.
Red Rackham
Red Rackham

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Red Rackham wrote:You may think my attitude a little extreme, most people do. People are not nearly as information secure as they should be (Me included) I don't know if you use 'Facebook' but have you seen the information people put there? It's incredible. I have asked friends & family not to put personal info on facebook, they assure me they know what they are doing! People are naive.

I agree. It's why I don't display date of birth etc on any online profile.
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 am

Oh, do tell!
I'll try to tell some stories about it in my blog space ("Letters from America" here on this board) in the next few days.

For the time being, though, you can hear about another ghost encounter I had with a group of friends in an old psychiatric hospital. I wrote up the experience in a thread called "Has anyone ever seen a ghost?" in the Religion section. My story is 5 or 6 posts down in the thread.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Shirina wrote:
Oh, do tell!
I'll try to tell some stories about it in my blog space ("Letters from America" here on this board) in the next few days.

For the time being, though, you can hear about another ghost encounter I had with a group of friends in an old psychiatric hospital. I wrote up the experience in a thread called "Has anyone ever seen a ghost?" in the Religion section. My story is 5 or 6 posts down in the thread.

Very interesting story! I've just posted details there of my own couple of experiences.
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

6 ways in which you're unusual/things that might surprise people about you Empty Strange things

Post by whitbyforklift Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm

[i]1My wife divorced a millionaire to marry me (a humble postman) 30 years ago.
2.I did a unique protest against the Poll Tax and got on TV and radio all over the world.
3.Unfortunatly not true but a radio station in Aus credited me with helping to get rid of Thatcher.
4.I found my sister in laws murdered body. A very sad time.
5.Told by consultant how long I had left to live.
6.Made up my mind. I'm going to live for ever. So there doctors.
whitbyforklift
whitbyforklift
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 am

Such an interesting set of experiences - what was the unique protest?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by whitbyforklift Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Certain people were exempt from paying Ie closed religious orders. I told the council that I was a high priest in charge of The Order Of The Holy Gnome. All hell broke loose. They did not know what to do with me. The media had a field day that went on for 2 years. Ps I was vice chairman of real local anti poll tax group also.
whitbyforklift
whitbyforklift
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Did Order of the Holy Gnome outrank Jedi Knight, wfl?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, that was unique!
Glad you've decided to live forever - it's really the only rational thing to do.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by whitbyforklift Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Another twist to this story.
Two days ago my wife received a letter from
a TV company called Flame productions asking
permission to make a docudrama about her sisters death
with actors playing us.
She as said no. We don't want it all dragging up again.
whitbyforklift
whitbyforklift
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by woolyback Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:27 am

I don't have a wooly back.
woolyback
woolyback

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:49 pm

1) I enjoy watching paint dry
2) I enjoy watching grass grow
3) I enjoy watching flies f--k.
4) I spend my time waiting for a snowball to defy the odds and survive for a long time in hell.
5) My eyes are always heavenward looking out for those flying pigs. I know they're up there somewhere.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 am

Well I'll try and give you mine.

1. I was a Moonie for a short time
2. For 10 years I was an evangelist/de-programmer/counsellor
3. I'm a sci-fi freak
4. I'm an adopted Scouser (nickname given to people from Liverpool)
5. I'm a supporter of Gloucester Rugby Union Football Club
6. I like the meditation techniques/attitudes of Osho (aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh)

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:33 am

I'm Special.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Well there is no way that I can beat your experiences I don't think.
but here goes. Laughing 

a) I only have half a brain, and it's deteriorating as I live.
b) The other half is scarred and has a black spot on one side and at the base, getting worse as I live. Which causes Epilepsy.
c) I take 4.000 tablets a year approximately.
d) I was on a life support machine for 8 weeks, died twice, given 11 hours to live but I'm still here. Laughing 
e) I do things on the spur of the moment, and now I'm decorating the living room, and replacing all the things in it.

That's it I'm afraid, have a good day.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Good luck with the decorating - that's something I hate doing
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Hello boatlady,
Now are you following me, or am I following you. Laughing 
You are not the only one that hates decorating love.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi boatlady.
Haven't seen a reply from you for a while, hope you are ok and keeping well.
Just pop a quick reply to let me know that you are ok, take care, stu.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:06 pm

I've just bought my tricycle!!!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 pm

750CC wow boatlady, that should get you to places nifty. Cool 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Two leg power - slower than walking - but way more fun
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Don't try this at home:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 am

Now I have something to aim for!!
 Very Happy 
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 am

Wow, oftenwrong.
you are always bringing us something spectacular.
go on boatlady you can do it.  Laughing Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am

I'll start with some quiet wheelies
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next