Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Horse's ass economics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Horse's ass economics

Post by sickchip on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:24 pm

The horsemeat scandal is what neo-liberal capitalism leads to........cut corners, cheat, and sell the fuckers any old shite as long as we're maximising our profits.

It is the result of the politics of greed that has been encouraged for decades. Almost every business, not just the food industry, is basically in the business of ripping off it's customers for as much as they can. The poor are becoming null and void......nobody cares what they eat, if they can afford to eat, and they are becoming viewed more and more as worthless scum.

Unfettered capitalism is killing civilised culture and humanity.
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Re: Horse's ass economics

Post by Phil Hornby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:32 pm

"Unfettered capitalism is killing civilised culture and humanity"

(themuslimweekly.com)

" Great!- hadn't realised it was all working so well..."

Last edited by Phil Hornby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture source mis-typed)
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Breaking News ......

Nice Guys come Last.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Breaking News......

Nice Guys come Last

....it doesn't have to be that way.
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:57 pm

(vivapets.com)

" But it usually is..."
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:
" But it usually is..."

I've eaten horse and found it very tasty - richer than beef, more tangy.

The economics is more like what comes out of the horse's ass...
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm

As you can imagine, there are some amusing 'tweets' circulating on this subject, some involving Richard III's lost horse and others mentioning Rebekah Brooks and her police horse. However, this has to be my favourite:-

BREAKING NEWS: Tests carried out on Lib Dem lasagne have shown that it is 100% Tory.
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm

The recent confusion regarding meat products is more easily understood if one recognises that some cows do, indeed, have a face like a horse...

(britainfirst.org)
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Ivan wrote:As you can imagine, there are some amusing 'tweets' circulating on this subject, some involving Richard III's lost horse and others mentioning Rebekah Brooks and her police horse. However, this has to be my favourite:-

BREAKING NEWS: Tests carried out on Lib Dem lasagne have shown that it is 100% Tory.

I have a couple of favourites - one to the effect that the Tory party has shown trace contamination with braincells, the other was in the commons the other day about it containing traces of stalking horse. Smile
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:The recent confusion regarding meat products is more easily understood if one recognises that some cows do, indeed, have a face like a horse...

LmAo!
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 pm

The ignorant idiots who are saying 'oo well really darling there's nothing wrong with horsemeat really, I've enjoyed a lovely horse steak in france la di da.....meats meat it's probably ok and just as good for you as beef', are entirely missing what this issue is about
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm

With any issue like this, there's two elements, though.
1) Something alien and unexpected is in our food - are we in danger?
2) Something alien and unexpected is in the cheaper forms of food - does this demonstrate comtempt for poorer people who buy the cheaper foodstuffs?

Personally, I'm quite pleased the 'ignorant idiots' are helping to defuse the very real fear that people may have that they have been poisoned, while really wanting to take issue with the 'unfettered capitalism' that results in people not getting the wholesome food they think they are buying. Whether or not horsemeat is good food, the issue of course is that adulteration of the food of the poor shows contempt, and cost cutting in government departments leads to lowering of standards, which mostly impacts poorer people, who usually can't afford to go to the farm shop and buy their meat from the breeder.

Not sure all the 'humour' around the issue is terribly helpful, as it serves perhaps to trivialise what is in fact a very serious and concerning issue.

By the way, has anyone noticed that a Tory government always seems to result in some sort of food horror (I'm thinking CJD, I'm thinking Edwina Curry and eggs)
boatlady
Administrator (Global Moderator)

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:21 pm

boatlady,

Good post.

It is indeed about the contempt, and disrespect, for people that unfettered capitalism brings to the table.

- Thanks for a serious response....unlike the other jokers.
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Seeing the funny side of something doesn't in any way mean not 'getting' the serious issues as well. I joke about Tory politicians often, and I'm deadly serious about them.

You just need a bit of light relief occasionally, and it just happens that horses and meat lends itself more readily to humour than, say, people being penalised out of their homes or starved into needing help from a Foodbank.
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:52 pm

All we need now is for that prick John Selwyn Gummer to stand in front of the camera, whilst force feeding his Kids Neddy Burgers in the same way he did with Mad Cow burgers in the 90's.
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 pm

sickchip. People laughed about Hitler during the Second World War and even made up songs about him (with a part of his anatomy being in the Albert Hall etc), but it doesn’t mean they weren’t deadly serious about defeating him.

You’re right – this is about unfettered capitalism and would have appealed to Thatcher with her “don’t worry if you don’t make anything, just make money” philosophy. It’s also about deception. But then why should firms bother if they lie to their customers and give them horse in their burgers, even though it says beef on the packet? After all, we have a government of serial liars who are duping the public almost on a daily basis.

An even more worrying aspect is the probability that this is part of an international criminal conspiracy. Horse may be okay to eat, but do criminals worry about the standard of hygiene required when food is being prepared? I think not.
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

http://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I do appreciate that this issue is easy to joke about - I've heard many myself and had a good laugh; but there is a serious side to it.

I know skwalker, ivan, oftenwrong, and most others here will be aware of that - they are all insightful, and intelligent, posters.

Apologies if I've seemed a little pious about this, but I do think it is representative, and indicative, of what kind of economy and society we are becoming.
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:40 pm

The Food Standards Agency seems more concerned with "shifting stock" than with the Nation's health, and a searching review of their activities might do no harm when the dust has settled.

Someone should have been alerted when it became apparent that the supply-chain extended across five Countries and through several intermediaries, all of whom MUST have been expecting to make a profit.

In our village we used to have a Butcher who slaughtered animals brought in from within a five mile radius. It was common to see one of our nearby sheep farmers come in to buy a nice piece of well-hung beef at the weekend. Mike gave up the struggle when EU regulations made him buy his meat from a Regional slaughterhouse instead of preparing it himself all the way through from cattletruck to shop counter.
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum