Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patient choice or not?

4 posters

Go down

Patient choice or not? Empty Patient choice or not?

Post by astradt1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

One of the main planks of the governments changes to the NHS is the oft repeated patient choice and their main strategy to achieve this is to put control of the NHS b budget in the hands of GP's.........

Today I have seen this patient choice at first hand....

Under the last government MY GP allowed patients to telephone through request for repeat prescriptions at any time during surgery hours, they have now set a 2 hour time slot 11am to 1pm during which they will take calls for these requests.....Patient Choice?????

They also had allowed patients to pick up their repeat prescription forms at any time during surgery times, they now only allow collection before 10am and after 2pm.......This now stops patients who work in shops etc. calling in during their dinner break....Patient Choice?????

I had called in to ask for a repeat prescription for my son who works nights....I was told that he must either telephone or call in himself....I pointed out that due to his working nights he was asleep during surgery times but that did not change their minds.....I now have to tell my son when he gets up a 7pm tonight that he will have to stay up tomorrow so that he can phone in person or he will have to for go his medication and risk his B/P going back up to 220/180 and it's associated risks.......But we all know that this new NHS with it's New Budget Holders will so much better for PATIENT CHOICE............

Oh and we were not consulted or notified of these changes........Patient Choice........
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Patient choice or not? Empty Re: Patient choice or not?

Post by oftenwrong Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Our surgery has an internet facility for re-ordering prescribed medicines.

Ask yours or just have a look at their homepage. Ask to speak to the Practice Manager if you continue to have problems.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Our surgery also has internet re-ordering, but you have to go into the surgery to request access from the receptionist and due 'Data Protection' it has to be my son who requests his own access, but of course the surgery is not open when he is able to go in..............
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:27 pm

We had something similar here in Sunderland. My way around it is that I phone Boots Chemist for the meds. They have my list in their files, request the prescription from the pox doctors appothachory. I make the request about 8 days before requirement, and sometimes this stuffs up proceedings, as they say I am not getting them yet, as I will double up supplies! Temgesic, Metformin dangerous? They should worry about the Oramorph I have in the cupboard it seems to me. Just DO NOT ask for a sleeping draught!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm

astradt1 wrote:One of the main planks of the governments changes to the NHS is the oft repeated patient choice and their main strategy to achieve this is to put control of the NHS b budget in the hands of GP's.........

Under the last government MY GP allowed patients to telephone through request for repeat prescriptions at any time during surgery hours, they have now set a 2 hour time slot 11am to 1pm during which they will take calls for these requests.....Patient Choice?????

They also had allowed patients to pick up their repeat prescription forms at any time during surgery times, they now only allow collection before 10am and after 2pm.......This now stops patients who work in shops etc. calling in during their dinner break....Patient Choice?????

I had called in to ask for a repeat prescription for my son who works nights....I was told that he must either telephone or call in himself....I pointed out that due to his working nights he was asleep during surgery times but that did not change their minds.....I now have to tell my son when he gets up a 7pm tonight that he will have to stay up tomorrow so that he can phone in person or he will have to for go his medication and risk his B/P going back up to 220/180 and it's associated risks.......But we all know that this new NHS with it's New Budget Holders will so much better for PATIENT CHOICE............

Oh and we were not consulted or notified of these changes........Patient Choice........

Please let us know how successful you are in bending the Doctor's Surgery to your Will.
It should make fascinating reading. Good Luck!
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 am

My own doctor works on the policy that if your ill get down there now. Unless your at the surgery when it opens or phone for a same day appointment he considers that your not ill. If you want repeat appointments and don't need to see a doctor organise it with your pharmacy.

May I suggest astradt1 that with those blood pressure readings your son should be attending the doctors as a matter of urgency or he may find the job will move on without him.

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Patient choice or not? Empty Patient choice or not?

Post by jennym42 Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:20 pm

astradt1 wrote:-
One of the main planks of the governments changes to the NHS is the oft repeated patient choice and their main strategy to achieve this is to put control of the NHS b budget in the hands of GP's.........

Surgery "Improvments". Our surgery used to operate a drop in approach. On any weekday you could go in and you would be seen, I rang on Tuesday for a repeat prescription and will be seen next Tuesday. We were not consulted. do I complain and risk being struck off?
Anonymous
jennym42

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:30 pm

The only tangible result of Lansley's tinkering with the NHS, revised by the PM and regurgitated to the sound of a universal public raspberry, is that GP's have been shown the prospect of absolute power, comparable only with Consultant surgeons.

This might not be a good time to fall out with your Medical Practitioner.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down