Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country”

3 posters

Go down

30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country” Empty 30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country”

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

The greatest side I ever saw and that really made me fall in love with football was the Brazil side of 1982, captained by the brilliant Socrates. More than just an iconic footballer; he was also a qualified doctor, a political activist and a hard drinking heavy smoker who died a couple of years ago aged just 57. Anyway, I thought some of these quotes were great:
http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/10/26/30-quotes-by-socrates-give-my-goals-to-a-better-country/
Cool
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country” Empty Re: 30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country”

Post by oftenwrong Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am

AA Gill in yesterday's "Sunday Times", reviewing BT Sport television:

You can't guarantee an audience with football, which is a good thing. All the other non-terrestrial broadcasting channels are realising they have to care about content, and ultimately have to make it in order to stay in business. Films and footie aren't going to do it. That's a bonus for the rest of us, because football is a numbingly stupid kid's game played by rude, vain. entitled idiots.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country” Empty Re: 30 quotes by Socrates: “Give my goals to a better country”

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am

" The greatest side I ever saw and that really made me fall in love with football was the Brazil side of 1982..."

Not the 1970 version, Dan?  Or maybe you are not old enough.

A look at the video of the 1958 win in Sweden may impress , too.

Just don't bother with 1974 - they were awful then...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 am

Phil Hornby wrote:" The greatest side I ever saw and that really made me fall in love with football was the Brazil side of 1982..."

Not the 1970 version, Dan?  Or maybe you are not old enough.

A look at the video of the 1958 win in Sweden may impress , too.

Just don't bother with 1974 - they were awful then...
I was 7 in 1982 but I've seen loads of footage of the two sides you mention. The 1962 Garrincha inspired vintage deserves a mention too. The beeb did a good documentary called Boys from Brazil ,which Motty narrates, that is the history of Brazil at World Cups and goes up to 1986. The Terrence Stamp narrated History of Soccer: The Beautiful Game has some great footage on it too.

Last edited by Dan Fante on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 am

oftenwrong wrote:AA Gill in yesterday's "Sunday Times", reviewing BT Sport television:

You can't guarantee an audience with football, which is a good thing.  All the other non-terrestrial broadcasting channels are realising they have to care about content, and ultimately have to make it in order to stay in business.  Films and footie aren't going to do it.  That's a bonus for the rest of us, because football is a numbingly stupid kid's game played by rude, vain. entitled idiots.
Clarkson's best mate, isn't he? That tells you all you need to know. The irony of the last four words as well Laughing
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:40 pm

I always want Brazil to win the World Cup, but they are now not sufficiently different from a number of other talented sides. The special magic that was solely theirs has gone and we won't see it again.

Nevertheless , I would still settle for them triumphing rather than seeing Germany grind their way to victory .  Will the pressure of being at home in 2014 inspire or burden the Brazilians, I wonder? It didn't help them in 1950 ultimately.

Zico?  Despite the huge number of wonderful players who have challenged Pele, I still think he is the best I have ever seen - just...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:I always want Brazil to win the World Cup, but they are now not sufficiently different from a number of other talented sides. The special magic that was solely theirs has gone and we won't see it again.

Nevertheless , I would still settle for them triumphing rather than seeing Germany grind their way to victory .  Will the pressure of being at home in 2014 inspire or burden the Brazilians, I wonder? It didn't help them in 1950 ultimately.

Zico?  Despite the huge number of wonderful players who have challenged Pele, I still think he is the best I have ever seen - just...
Zico was my hero in that 1982 side. He was an absolute genius and he made that side tick. Much like with modern football in general though, I am less enamoured with the Brazil sides of today than of the past. I sort of agree with you that it would be nice to see them win it at home next summer. Especially if they could do it in style. The bit about Germany is unfair though. They play a very attacking brand of football and almost have an embarrassment of riches in forward positions with players like Goetze, Reus and Ozil. Their club sides (especially Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund) are great to watch too.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm

It was Eder who caught my football- focused eye in 1982...another left-footed genius in the Roberto Rivelino mould...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:It was Eder who caught my football- focused eye in 1982...another left-footed genius in the Roberto Rivelino mould...
To be honest Phil, it was a great side - Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Junior and or course Zico to name a few. The funny thing was that their striker was a bit of a donkey and their keeper was awful. In fact, they probably would've been better off without a proper striker and played with what is now called a 'false number 9'. This is actually what Zagallo did in 1970 when Tostao was tried as a forward rather than as a "no. 10" / attacking midfielder.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:23 pm

All very true, Dan.

I think they also had taken Tostao to the 1966 Finals but he didn't feature much in what was a poor tournament for Brazil.

Aside of Gilmar they have rarely had really accomplished 'keepers. But they didn't need one when they attacked at will and could always score one more goal  than the opposition! Look at the guy in 1970 ( Felix?) - he would not have made it in the English second division.

Maybe we need to private message all this stuff or we'll get told off for diverging from the original topic...!
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:All very true, Dan.

I think they also had taken Tostao to the 1966 Finals but he didn't feature much in what was a poor tournament for Brazil.

Aside of Gilmar they have rarely had really accomplished 'keepers. But they didn't need one when they attacked at will and could always score one more goal  than the opposition! Look at the guy in 1970 ( Felix?) - he would not have made it in the English second division.

Maybe we need to private message all this stuff or we'll get told off for diverging from the original topic...!
Well the OP relates to the Seleção anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know from what I've seen and heard about 1970 that Felix was a notoriously dodgy keeper Laughing Taffarel got over 100 caps and won the World Cup and I don't think he could've got a game for a decent top flight side in England. I bet when you're Brazilian though no one wants to play in goal.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:47 pm

" I bet when you're Brazilian though no one wants to play in goal. "

Aside of my days as a rugby union inside centre ( plenty of injuries ) , I played my soccer as a goalkeeper ( even more injuries). I never wanted to play outfield - even  though, of course, I possessed all the silky skills of a Gerson, Dirceu or a Neymar. Embarassed 

Another thing  - why did Brazil change their shorts to that darker blue when the powder blue variety of old used to look so good with the yellow and green shirts...?
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm guessing the answer to that last question is that Nike made that decision. I agree that the old style looked better though.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm

"Sports" were compulsory when I was at school, Cricket in summer and the other thing when the weather was cold. Nobody with any footballing ambition wanted me in their team, so I always found myself playing with kindred spirits on a remote waterlogged pitch where we could largely please ourselves how we passed 90 minutes before returning to the normally-clothed world.

Cricket was better, because local girls found us to be a captive audience in the agreeable outdoor sunshine. The only thing I learned about cricket was to drop six stones from my pocket to the ground to mark an over. Since then I've never looked back.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Ah, cricket.  A wonderful game at which I had precious little talent. My only claim to fame ( usually in the Second XI ) was that I ( as a 17 year-old) once held out for over an hour for the tenth wicket with my batting partner to ensure we managed a draw.

Although I accumulated only about 5 runs that day, our cricket master awarded me the 'man of the match' award on the coach back home for my effort to avoid defeat. What was it? Ten 'Guards' tipped cigarettes. They don't make teachers like they used to...so thanks, Mr Noll. I gave up years ago incidentally, sir...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down