Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them. Currently membership is instant, but new accounts may be deleted if not activated within fourteen days.

If you decide to join the forum, please open your welcome message for further details. New members are requested to introduce themselves on the appropriate thread on our welcome board.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by boatlady and astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Can God love? (Part 2)

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by snowyflake on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

The problem we have is that we can only think in our limited terms , we do not know of any process that covers the universe but if we did it would be just as simple as us explaining to a child how a toy was made etc

Depends on how much education you have, how bright you are and whether or not you are willing to learn things that are outside your comfort zone in the search for the truth. The universe and all that is in it is a complex place.

All the atoms that make up you were created in the stars. We are stardust, poly. Smile

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/06/990625080416.htm
avatar
snowyflake

Posts : 1220
Join date : 2011-10-07
Age : 59
Location : England

Back to top Go down


Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by Shirina on Wed May 07, 2014 2:05 pm

polyglide wrote:The Bible tells you who and who will not be saved.

The only Law that is applicable to a Christian regarding faith is God's Law.

God also tells you how to deal with laws made by man.

How do you know the Bible is accurate?

I've already told you that numerous books of the Bible were arbitrarily removed by bishops and priests who thought those books just didn't quite sound right ... so they went bye-bye. I'm not even sure why modern Protestants accept this ruling by medieval Catholics, but they do, and no one really studies or believes in the Apocrypha texts anymore. God didn't take those books out of the Bible. Man did. So why aren't you studying the Apocrypha texts, too? I bet you're not.

You realize, too, of course, that the only reason your version of Christianity survived all of these years is because of the force of arms, right? Other Christian sects were butchered to extinction like the Gnostics and the Cathars (the Church especially hated Cathars because they gave women authority *gasp*). Plus wild-eyed barbarian rulers and certain kings (like Charlamagne) forced every village and city they conquered to kneel at an alter and convert to Christianity. If they refused? Well, the altar turned out to be just as useful as a chopping block.

Don't believe me? Do your history homework. Your religion exists today ONLY because "might made right" and NOT because of some inherent truth to its message. You are likely descended from someone who was bullied and threatened into Christian belief, and that belief has been passed down from generation to generation. Again, it has utterly nothing to do with how wonderful or accurate God's rules or God's laws or God's truths actually are.

Therefore, trusting in the Bible for some inherent law that speaks absolutist truth is just plain folly. Maybe the Cathars had the real truth. Or perhaps the Gnostics? We'll never know now, will we. Now picking the "one true" religion is nothing but a big guess that is heavily influenced by culture and nation.


Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by stuart torr on Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Well said Shirina, we can always rely on you for a decent post.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by polyglide on Fri May 09, 2014 10:58 am

How do you know it is not?.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by stuart torr on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:26 pm

PG when I see a good post I can tell the difference from a bad one very easily.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm

polyglide wrote:Any sane person must understand that if something is there, there must be a reason and a cause.

This is simply untrue, it's just a subjective belief, you have made no attempt to demonstrate evidence for this, and no one else has either.

polyglide wrote:You cannot just say the Big Bang, but do not ask where this originated. You can of course say that, just as you have done but it solves nothing and the problem is just as much a problem as previously.

You cannot just say that Goddidit, but do not ask where this originated. You can of course say that, just as you have done but it solves nothing and the problem is just as much a problem as previously.

The difference of course is that scientists don't just say the BB did it, whereas theists are happy to just claim this about the deity they choose, and have no evidence to support it. scientists have plenty of evidence to support the Big Bang, and unlike theists have the humility to accept when their knowledge reaches it's limit and not make sweeping unevidenced claims.

polyglide wrote:Unless it can be established that something  can come from nothing
then there must be a creator of some kind.

This remains untrue no matter how many times the claim is made, without any attempt at evidencing it of course. Firstly we're not limited to just two choices of either something from nothing or a completely unevidenced creator, based on nothing more than bronze age superstition. If you want to show a creator is possible let alone plausible then you must demonstrate evidence for it, not simply use fallacious argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Besides you already claimed in this very post that "You cannot just say the Big Bang, but do not ask where this originated." So how can you claim godditit and not ask where god originated or what caused it, or how god is supposed to have done it?

polyglide wrote:there will be many possibilities that are far beyond our understanding.

Oh dear, and you know this how exactly?
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3167
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by oftenwrong on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:35 pm

And God so loved The Poor that he created MILLIONS of them.
avatar
oftenwrong
Sage

Posts : 11992
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

oftenwrong wrote:And God so loved The Poor that he created MILLIONS of them.

Yes, but he created diseases like Malaria and Smallpox, to keep them numbers down. Also Parkinson's, another of God's delightful surprises to show us how much he loves us.
avatar
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Posts : 3167
Join date : 2013-10-11
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Can God love? (Part 2)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum