Welcome to Cutting Edge. Guests can see and read the contents of most of the boards on this forum but need to become members to read all of them.

Members may post messages and start threads, but it is essential that they read our posting rules and advice before doing so. If you have any immediate questions or queries, please post them on the suggestions board.

After posting at least ten messages, members are able to contact each other and the staff through our personal messaging system.

This forum is administrated by Ivan and moonbeam and moderated by astradt1.

Thank you for visiting Cutting Edge.

Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why the 'You cannot prove God does not exist' argument fails

Post by Bellatori on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 am

First topic message reminder :

The problem with discussions between theists and atheists is that eventually it comes down to the argument of not being able to prove a negative false. As a statistician, in my working life, I have often come across this as a problem. It really ends up as a lack of understanding of the concept of an hypothesis and the nature of the contrary position, the null hypothesis.
 
Consider the following example
 
Hypothesis 1 - There are fairies at the bottom of my garden. (My hypothesis or H1 for short)
 
In stating this I automatically generate a contrary (null) hypothesis which would be
 
Hypothesis 0 - There are no fairies at the bottom of my garden. (The null hypothesis or H0 for short)
 
The null hypothesis is entirely a consequence of stating the first hypothesis. If H1 is not true then we would automatically assume that H0 was true.
 
At this point (courtesy of the Cottingley Fairies and Arthur Conan Doyle) I produce a set of photographs. On scientific scrutiny these are held to be jolly fine photographs and completely fake. At this point I retreat into my bedroom to sulk and it is held that H1 fails on the basis of no evidence and therefore we accept the null hypothesis viz. there are no fairies at the bottom of my garden. Postulating that at some time in the future someone may come up with evidence that confirms H1 in no way changes the argument. We are dealing with NOW and as of NOW there is no evidence and the hypothesis fails. We accept H0. Wish fulfillment does not give you a reason to accept H1 in spite of the lack of evidence.
 
So now lets look at the existence of God argument.
 
H1 - God exists (the theist position)
which then automatically generates a contrary position
H0 - God does not exist (the atheist position)
 
In passing it is worth noting that the atheist position is a default one. It does NOT require belief. It is simply what is left when the H1 proposition fails, however this is for another time.
 
Now atheists would claim that there is no evidence for the existence of God and therefore H1 fails. (In passing one might wonder why, if there is evidence for god, that the religion that has that evidence has not therefore swallowed up all the others who clearly would be lacking in this respect. Is simply a multiplicity of religions an argument for the non-existence of God I wonder?)
 
At this point many theists go for the 'You cannot prove god does not exist' argument. This is the hypotheses above the other way around.
 
H1 - God does not exist (the atheist position)
and
H0 - God exists (the theist position)
 
The atheists just shrug and the theists jump up and down with glee saying the null hypothesis has it, God exists. The problem is that when you consider what the null hypothesis is, you have to ask one crucial question. Is the null hypothesis compatible with a stated position of no evidence.
 
Consider
H1 - Unicorns exist
and hence
H0 - Unicorn do not exist
 
Is a non-existent unicorn compatible with no evidence for the existence of unicorns? Yes it is. Now ask yourself the question if the hypotheses are reversed. Is an existing unicorn compatible with no evidence? No it isn't. Where are the hoof prints and the unicorn poop!!
 
So here we reach the crux. Is a null hypothesis of H0 - God exists compatible with no evidence for God existing. Clearly, as with the unicorn, the answer is no.
 
Atheists do not have to prove God does not exist. It is a meaningless quest because, without evidence, there is no reason or logic in believing that god does exist.

Bellatori
Banned

Posts : 446
Join date : 2013-10-11
Age : 66
Location : Newcastle

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down


Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi Trev.
I have actually opened a new thread, comes under other matters at the top of the page.
called "bored, fed up, let's get smiling.
I'm trying to break the apathy on this forum, Ivan has posted with some great jokes for starters, just want others to join in and discuss anything.
IE, what is happening in Britain or the world and it does not have to be religious and even tell a joke or two to get the forum smiling.

stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by polyglide on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Why bother with another thread when you supply ample material on this one for a good laugh.

As for the universe.

Everything has always existed in one form or another.

If you accept the Big Bang theory, then what went Bang and where did it come from.

If dark matter played a part, then where did dark matter come from?.

It is beyond our understanding to attempt an answer.

What we can do is consider that which we do know.

Animal and vegitable life must have been created, there is no other sensible explanation.

Take this into consideration and you must accept that there are beings far superior to humans.


avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

As I've said b4 PG get a life and start smiling and laughing, Laughing Laughing Laughing 
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Norm Deplume on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 pm

polyglide wrote:Why bother with another thread when you supply ample material on this one for a good laugh.

As for the universe.

Everything has always existed in one form or another.

If you accept the Big Bang theory, then what went Bang and where did it come from.

If dark matter played a part, then where did dark matter come from?.

It is beyond our understanding to attempt an answer.

What we can do is consider that which we do know.

Animal and vegitable life must have been created, there is no other sensible explanation.

Take this into consideration and you must accept that there are beings far superior to humans.

You should look at other threads to find things like, "It is indicative of a unsound mind to ridicule that which one does not understand."

It is relevant.


avatar
Norm Deplume

Posts : 278
Join date : 2013-10-10
Location : West Midlands, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by polyglide on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:23 pm

I understand what an unsound mind is, you are typical by your inability to comprehend the obvious.

I am aware of the idiots who think you can get something from nothing, however, none makes any more sense than those who thought the world was flat.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:52 pm

PG, I often get something for nothing, I'm quite good at that and I do not steal it either. you just have to be good at your bartering.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Shirina on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 pm

polyglide wrote:I am aware of the idiots who think you can get something from nothing, however, none makes any more sense than those who thought the world was flat.

Of course you'll claim that God had no beginning - so that you may invent an excuse why your God is immune to your own argument and rationalizing it away with the 'special pleading' fallacy.

Thus what do the judges say about your mental gymnastics?

United States: 9.9
Britain: 8.0
Australia: 8.5
China: 9.0
Japan: 9.5
East Germany: 4.9

Eh, what can you do ... those East German judges hate athletes from NATO countries. Your dismount was a bit hard - you stumbled a bit - but otherwise, a superb feat of athletic prowess to be sure.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Shirina.
You seem to have bought the debate to a halt.
Probably because like myself, I do not fully understand your last post, could you put it in a clearer form for me please.
Many thanks.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 pm

stuart torr wrote:Shirina.
You seem to have bought the debate to a halt.
Probably because like myself, I do not fully understand your last post, could you put it in a clearer form for me please.
Many thanks.

I suspect Shirina was just being sarcastic. Like myself she finds most of what Polyglide posts as leaps of the imagination on Polyglides part.
In fact some of the Bible needs the same if we take it literally. The marks were simply, I assume, by the way. However I am surprised that Shirina suggested 9.9 marks for the US. I would have thought that the Gospel belt of the Southern States would have backed Polyglide and lowered the judges marks.

Using the gymnastics theme

Your dismount was a bit hard - you stumbled a bit - but otherwise, a superb feat of athletic prowess to be sure.

Polyglide has a very good imagination, though Pg stumbled a bit in his presentation, and landed badly in the end.

If I'm wrong Shirina, kick my .... er A... Embarassed .... shins.
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Shirina on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

trevorw2539 wrote:If I'm wrong Shirina, kick my ....   er A...   Embarassed .... shins.

Heh, no, you've pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

Many atheists call the way in which believers rationalize their faith "mental gymnastics" because of all the leaping, jumping, contorting, and swinging they have to do in order for it to make sense (loosely).

So I was putting it into a gymnastics competition format with judges scoring polyglide's argument. I just know people used to joke about East German judges back in the day because they always gave Western nations undeserved bad scores while giving Warsaw Pact nations really good scores.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 am

polyglide wrote:I understand what an unsound mind is, you are typical by your inability to comprehend the obvious.

I am aware of the idiots who think you can get something from nothing, however, none makes any more sense than those who thought the world was flat.

Hey, guess what. 'Science' has proved, despite what the ancient 'idiots' thought, that our world is almost round.
Hey, guess what. Science may one day prove that, despite what todays 'idiots' think, you can get something from nothing. Our understanding of science, nature and the Universe is at its infant stage.
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Guess what PG, Shirina and Trevor are right.
You know what we all know the Earth isn't flat wow.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Jsmythe on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Asking the question;"Was the universe born from intention?" This is still a valid question even from a scientific perspective.

There are many ideas on the big-bang, however this idea - we must remember - is still a theory.

Perhaps this 'nothing ' was really always 'something'. A something unseen by our eyes in what appears to be an empty void. Only until it shifts and abides by our own natural law it comes into existence.
avatar
Jsmythe

Posts : 142
Join date : 2011-10-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am

The big bang becomes less of a theory, the longer time goes on.
IMO the universe was already in existence prior to the big bang.
After it and human life came into existence, and of course became as intelligent as we are now, and know how many galaxies we have ETC. Everything is different.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Jsmythe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 am

stuart torr wrote:The big bang becomes less of a theory, the longer time goes on.
IMO the universe was already in existence prior to the big bang.
After it and human life came into existence, and of course became as intelligent as we are now, and know how many galaxies we have ETC. Everything is different.

Hello stuart torr,

I would agree that as time goes along.The Big bang would be less of a theory, but also be quite possibly not be as valid an idea as first thought and be put aside to newer explanation alternatives.

Yes I think the same and say that it could be quite possible that there was always a universe. Only the physical matter came into existence at specific points in time. Perhaps this physical appearance aught to be the big bang (excluding universe )which is not in the way we currently know as the Big bang .

If we know;as you say human life came into existence (original state still unknown),are we to believe that we are the first intelligent life to come into being ? By example; man is getting to understand methods to creating life with specific elements in a lab. I would not at all be surprised, in the science community someone is thinking. " I wonder if someone made us too?" A valid question.

 Wink 

avatar
Jsmythe

Posts : 142
Join date : 2011-10-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:45 am

If we know;as you say human life came into existence (original state still unknown),are we to believe that we are the first intelligent life to come into being ? By example; man is getting to understand methods to creating life with specific elements in a lab. I would not at all be surprised, in the science community someone is thinking. " I wonder if someone made us too?" A valid question.

Does that make them a god? Then who made god? And who made the god that made the god that made man - ad infinitum.




Human life?
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 am

Ooops, sorry. Forgot to put quote round first parargraph
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi trevor.
I have posted very similar posts to yours on the other forum, and no-one comes up with a clear answer.
As the atheists always say that life developed normally, with no god involved, and the theists always come up with the answer that it was god who created us.
So what is the atheist answer to that? yes you guessed it, who made god, ad infinitum.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Shirina on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:41 pm

All of these questions presupposes a "who" being involved in the formation of the universe or the start of life. There isn't really any evidence to believe an intelligence of any kind was behind our existence, and certainly not an omnipotent intelligence given the -many- flaws in the human body.
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Except myself Shirina.
As an Atheist, I do not believe in any creator/God figure making human life, and all it's faults many of them as it happens.
I use to be a staff nurse Shirina, and I have seen those many faults at first hand, now if there were an omnipotent intelligence, why would we humans have so many faults?
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:08 pm

It's all down to Adam and Eve. If Eve had only said to the serpent 'No thanks, I haven't had the meat course yet' everything would have been OK.  Basketball 
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:44 pm

So tell me trevor, Adam and Eve were technically brother and sister were they not? so god allowed them to break the law?
How many children did they have? was it two male sons?
How did life carry on from there?
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Stuart. Sorry if you misunderstood. It was meant as a joke.

Adam and Eve is a story drawn from older Sumerian myths, and probably earlier. They never existed. All these legends are early mans way of trying to understand how creation happened. I think from the dawn of man becoming intelligent he has had the need to explain the then unexplainable. He probably started by worshipping things like nature, and over the millenia, with the increase of understanding has evolved 'religions'. That's putting it 'in a nutshell'.  study 
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Jsmythe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:23 pm


stuart wrote:
Does that make them a god? Then who made god? And who made the god that made the god that made man - ad infinitum.
Shirina wrote:There isn't really any evidence to believe an intelligence of any kind was behind our existence, and certainly not an omnipotent intelligence given the -many- flaws in the human body.
If at all and much like the biblical Gods by their very description. If we were created by other beings that came, long before us.Then to the group of non-the-wiser humans ;the simple sheep herder or woodsman, these beings would be Gods. But yes these Gods would not be omnipotent only just very clever I suppose.

Who made the first God/Living entities ? An ultimate creator or intelligent energy perhaps ? (I dare say )  I guess there need not be any other before.Perhaps we mistakenly always assume everything has to have a beginning and end which is of course in relation to matter.

scratch

Just 'Natural law' by itself is enough reason to think of the possibility that life is seemingly born from intent.



avatar
Jsmythe

Posts : 142
Join date : 2011-10-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Jsmythe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:54 pm

why would we humans have so many faults?

Indeed ,especially if we as individuals pray for guidance via the biblical practices or other magic citing incantations for protection.

What are our faults anyway? Pretty much sure we could correct a large part with correct balances and checks.

Flaws of the body? Well I was always taught (as we all have) that a great balance in our diets ,fresh air and sunlight not forgetting No stress! does wonders to our health and we tend to live longer.

Life in general is made to survive and will do by governing natural laws.Seems harsh and illogical but species come and go unless the gift of imagination gets that species a bit further.

or maybe not
 Rolling Eyes 




avatar
Jsmythe

Posts : 142
Join date : 2011-10-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:19 am

Jsmythe wrote:
why would we humans have so many faults?

Indeed ,especially if we as individuals pray for guidance via the biblical practices or other magic citing incantations for protection.

What are our faults anyway? Pretty much sure we could correct a large part with correct balances and checks.

Flaws of the body? Well I was always taught (as we all have) that a great balance in our diets ,fresh air and sunlight not forgetting No stress! does wonders to our health and we tend to live longer.

Life in general is made to survive and will do by governing natural laws.Seems harsh and illogical but species come and go unless the gift of imagination gets that species a bit further.

or maybe not
 Rolling Eyes 


 


I suspect Shirina was talking about 'bodily' faults, and not faults in our nature.

Children born with genetic diseases, cleft palates and lack of limbs. Lack of immunity to diseases which kill. A wise creator would surely have foreseen the suffering he was allowing by creating a faulty being.
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Not just children trevor.
So you are saying a wise creator, would have foreseen the suffering that he was allowing, by creating a faulty being..
Obvious then is it not? humans were not created by this wise creator, or we would not have the faults that we do.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Penderyn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:45 pm

People made up 'gods' to explain magic hunting-dances they'd done when hunter-gathering after they became famers, and sensible people refined the concept to embody the best they knew. By the time of Jesus people were already getting a bit baffled by the notion, rightly. I put my trust in Comrade Jesus and whatever Comrade Buddha called himself before he moved on! Smile
avatar
Penderyn
Deactivated

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Cymru

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Penderyn.
As an Atheist you know that I will disagree with you, you will no doubt claim that jesus was the son of god also.
Then do you also believe in the bible?Laughing 
You cannot believe both I'm afraid Penderyn, if you believe in the bible then you will know that according to that man written work of fiction, that jesus is the son of Mary and the holy spirit.
I do believe that is the only spirit, to impregnate a female and leave her with child. Laughing 
I expect you will reply with some further implausible reply, and something as far fetched as a take away from china.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by polyglide on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm

What.
avatar
polyglide

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Well P.G.?
Is that the only reply you can muster. Laughing 
Instead of a blubbering "What." Sad  come up with a decent reply.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Shirina on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Where
avatar
Shirina
Former Administrator

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2011-10-07
Location : Right behind you. Boo!

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Shirina.
hope you are well, can you tell me please to whom your reply was aimed at.
many thanks.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Penderyn on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:57 pm

stuart torr wrote:Penderyn.
As an Atheist you know that I will disagree with you, you will no doubt claim that jesus was the son of god also.
Then do you also believe in the bible?Laughing 
You cannot believe both I'm afraid Penderyn, if you believe in the bible then you will know that according to that man written work of fiction, that jesus is the son of Mary and the holy spirit.
I do believe that is the only spirit, to impregnate a female and leave her with child. Laughing 
I expect you will reply with some further implausible reply, and something as far fetched as a take away from china.

I think that people of that time believed in 'gods', just as the Senate worthily elected the mass murderer Julius Caesar to that political position when he'd died. Comrade Jesus was someone who thought that way, inevitably, but he and those around him were obviously moving towards the point where representative people - and better people than Roman politicians - were taking on the role previously abstracted into 'gods'. I believe that much of the New Testament is a genuine record of what comrade Jesus actually said, because people were trained to remember in those days. The magic elements in the New Testament were part of the notion that Jesus was the Messiah, so that anything said of the Messiah had to be true of Jesus. Don't you think, perhaps, that you are more interested in being right than in discussing this question? That notion tends to limit it to prepared positions. It reminds me of arguing with my RC friends back in the old days: Petrine text (pawn to K4) and so on. Open up, man!
avatar
Penderyn
Deactivated

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Cymru

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm

k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Penderyn on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21 pm

stuart torr wrote:k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent  and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.

Comrade Jesus, tho' confused by religious notions, knew the rich were a damned plague, and the early Church was, within the limits of the time, socialist. You choose to believe/reject archaic crap, stuck in a time-warp. Our job is to translate what's usable.
avatar
Penderyn
Deactivated

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Cymru

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Penderyn wrote:
stuart torr wrote:k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent  and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.

Comrade Jesus, tho' confused by religious notions, knew the rich were a damned plague, and the early Church was, within the limits of the time, socialist.   You choose to believe/reject archaic crap, stuck in a time-warp.   Our job is to translate what's usable.

Isn't that rather subjective? What is your 'archaic crap'? What is your idea of what is 'usable'? If you believe what is written then 'comrade Jesus' wasn't confused by religious notions. In fact he was very clear about his religious beliefs.
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Penderyn on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:09 pm

trevorw2539 wrote:
Penderyn wrote:
stuart torr wrote:k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent  and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.

Comrade Jesus, tho' confused by religious notions, knew the rich were a damned plague, and the early Church was, within the limits of the time, socialist.   You choose to believe/reject archaic crap, stuck in a time-warp.   Our job is to translate what's usable.

Isn't that rather subjective? What is your 'archaic crap'? What is your idea of what is 'usable'? If you believe what is written then 'comrade Jesus' wasn't confused by religious notions. In fact he was very clear about his religious beliefs.

No. Gods. Socialism. Don't understand - obviously he was confused - everyone was back then.
avatar
Penderyn
Deactivated

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Cymru

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by trevorw2539 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Penderyn wrote:
trevorw2539 wrote:
Penderyn wrote:
stuart torr wrote:k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent  and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.

Comrade Jesus, tho' confused by religious notions, knew the rich were a damned plague, and the early Church was, within the limits of the time, socialist.   You choose to believe/reject archaic crap, stuck in a time-warp.   Our job is to translate what's usable.

Isn't that rather subjective? What is your 'archaic crap'? What is your idea of what is 'usable'? If you believe what is written then 'comrade Jesus' wasn't confused by religious notions. In fact he was very clear about his religious beliefs.

No.   Gods.  Socialism.   Don't understand - obviously he was confused - everyone was back then.

The Jews were certainly not confused about their religion, and neither was Jesus, if you accept what is written about him.
avatar
trevorw2539

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Penderyn on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:41 pm

trevorw2539 wrote:
Penderyn wrote:
trevorw2539 wrote:
Penderyn wrote:
stuart torr wrote:k to Q3, Your so called messiah who is non existent  and a bible that is man written and does not tell the truth.
Comrade jesus? never heard the non existent being called comrade before?
Even you know that the bible is awash with faults, so why still believe such rubbish?
C'MON Penderyn you are running out of excuses for your argument
and even refer to the magic elements in the N.T.

Comrade Jesus, tho' confused by religious notions, knew the rich were a damned plague, and the early Church was, within the limits of the time, socialist.   You choose to believe/reject archaic crap, stuck in a time-warp.   Our job is to translate what's usable.

Isn't that rather subjective? What is your 'archaic crap'? What is your idea of what is 'usable'? If you believe what is written then 'comrade Jesus' wasn't confused by religious notions. In fact he was very clear about his religious beliefs.

No.   Gods.  Socialism.   Don't understand - obviously he was confused - everyone was back then.

The Jews were certainly not confused about their religion, and neither was Jesus, if you accept what is written about him.

You mean they believed bullshit? Yes - they believed bullshit. Your point? We have to 'translate' or just posture.
avatar
Penderyn
Deactivated

Posts : 833
Join date : 2011-12-11
Location : Cymru

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by stuart torr on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Getting nearer your belief Penderyn I think, was I confused by your wording? are you in fact an atheist?
As your last line of "you mean they believed bullshit?" must mean the bible, which is exactly what I think of it.
avatar
stuart torr
Deceased

Posts : 3187
Join date : 2013-10-10
Age : 57
Location : Nottingham. England. UK.

Back to top Go down

Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 3)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum