Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time?

+5
oftenwrong
boatlady
Ivan
ghost whistler
stuart torr
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time? Empty Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time?

Post by Redflag Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi stu

Heaven Help the UK if it does happen I just hope none of those that voted Ukip better not come crying to me when they find out that Ukip are more far right than the Tories, as I will have NO sympathy for them in fact my reply will be "Hell Slap it into You" plus the rest of us will have to pay for your STUPIDY.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time? Empty Re: Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time?

Post by stuart torr Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Well I will shut the door in their face because I will not have voted for anybody but Labour Redflag, and as I thought Dennis the beast only lives a few miles from me.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time? Empty Re: Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time?

Post by oftenwrong Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:22 pm

UKIP are indeed enjoying a good Press at the moment, but Labour have little to worry about if the next General Election produces for Mr Farage mainly turncoat MPs who were former Tory MPs. Meantime the media will be full of Who's Next? speculation for the next five months.

Can Cameron's face become any redder?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Cameron does seem rather embarrassed doesn't he OW, Laughing Embarassed
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:57 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Can Cameron's face become any redder?

Yes it can OW and the reason is cause like the rest of the Tory party they have "BRASS NECKS"
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Also no guilt about what they are doing to the poor, whilst they sit in their mansions.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

In relation to Ed Milliband - I do think he may have made a bit of a 'bish' in asking Emily Thornberry to resign - she seems a sensible and hard working constituency representative.

Speaking as a working class person - I'd think that house was a bit dodgy to be honest, and  I might have a bit of a giggle, picturing a shaven headed right wing uneducated type living there, possibly with some racist views - I might think he was someone not really in sympathy with the Labour message - I might send a message back home to show what we're up against - I might not put it up on Twitter because I might think Twitter would be a bit public.

If I was a leader of a political party I might feel stuck between a rock and a hard place - putting the implied comment on Twitter makes a whole set of assumptions overt and I guess when your party's rhetoric is about class warfare and lack of inclusiveness the tweet might well be an embarrassment.

If I were Ed, I hope I might tend to feel - 'well, if eating a bacon sandwich in an unattractive manner hasn't lost the election, maybe an honest tweet won't either', but , fortunately for me, I'm not Ed and I don't have a legion of political types advising me.

Basically, what I think I might be saying, is I think the whole thing is a storm in a  teacup - - I suspect politicians on both sides make a set of assumptions about the electorate that none of us would find flattering - just as we do about them - the question when we're electing our government is - which of the possible options is likely to result in the best outcome for the majority of us in England - I still think that would be Labour under Ed Milliband - even if he has made a bit of mistake about Emily Thornberry.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 pm

He has made a few bishes as you call them boatlady, that is his problem i'm afraid, ruins his chance of power if he makes to many more.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:42 am

And Farage, Cameron et al have made no mistakes?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 pm

boatlady wrote:In relation to Ed Milliband - I do think he may have made a bit of a 'bish' in asking Emily Thornberry to resign - she seems a sensible and hard working constituency representative.

Speaking as a working class person - I'd think that house was a bit dodgy to be honest, and  I might have a bit of a giggle, picturing a shaven headed right wing uneducated type living there.

Back in my canvassing days I'd certainly not have bothered with that house, assuming that if I knocked on the door I'd be attacked by a drunken National Fronter - and I can tell you that judgement is based on a lot of experience in many constituencies.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

stuart torr wrote:£11 million and she needs our help? please mylene can you give me some to tide me over, as my £103 per week seems tiny in comparison. being reviewed soon to see if I am getting too much though.
Bloody hell? She has 11 million quid? How the hell did that happen? I bet the rest of Hearsay aren't quite so fortunate! She really ought to wind her neck in.
ghost whistler
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Thronberry had to go. You can't deny there was some snobbery in her tweet. It was a massively stupid thing to do - and I fully agree it doesn't come close to the pure evil that comes from the tories. There's no way she could stay after that, what on earth was she thinking. A proper Nicola Murray moment?
ghost whistler
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 pm

You are right G.W. how the hell did she get that much?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:01 pm

stuart torr wrote:You are right G.W. how the hell did she get that much?

I wonder if she's good at making sandwiches
ghost whistler
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Oh no G.W. what about her poor painted finger nails? Laughing
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 pm

ghost whistler wrote:-
Thornberry had to go. You can't deny there was some snobbery in her tweet. It was a massively stupid thing to do - and I fully agree it doesn't come close to the pure evil that comes from the tories. There's no way she could stay after that, what on earth was she thinking. A proper Nicola Murray moment?
For those not in the know, Nicola Murray is the name of the Labour Party leader (played by Rebecca Front) in ‘The Thick of It’.

I don’t agree that Emily Thornberry had to leave the shadow cabinet, and her departure made this silly story much bigger than it should have been. She tweeted a series of photos, all bearing the caption ‘Image from Rochester’, and we can only guess what her thinking was when she shared the picture of White Van Dan’s house with her followers. It was the wrong thing to do, especially as it showed the registration number of his vehicle, but politicians have done far worse and not been forced to resign. Jeremy Hunt lied to Parliament over his close relationship with James Murdoch and the 160+ plus emails he exchanged with him when he was supposed to be adjudicating over the BSkyB bid. Theresa May has stuffed up a number of times and been allowed to stay in her post. Iain Duncan Smith has wasted millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money, but is allowed to carry on his evil work at the DWP.

Emily Thornberry comes from a broken marriage and was brought up by her mother on a Guildford council estate. If she is a snob, then so am I, as my background is solid working class and I have nothing but disdain for White Van Dan. In fact, I loathe all people who use flags to insinuate that they are somehow more patriotic than the rest of us. The Tories love to wave the union flag around, yet they are quite happy to sell state assets to foreigners and encourage Russian billionaires to buy up property in London, making it too expensive for the indigenous population to live there. The flag of St George is used by football hooligans, the EDL and others as a way to intimidate immigrants; even White Van Dan admitted that his dirty old flags “make ethnic minorities uncomfortable”. He’s not typical of the working class and doesn’t deserve respect, contrary to what Ed Miliband suggested.

Patriotism – the love of one’s country – shouldn’t be about flags, royalty, archaic traditions or our appalling colonial history. It should be about the love of those anonymous workers whose toil created the wealth of this country and those who now make it a bearable place to live – such as all the carers, nurses, doctors, teachers and firemen. We don’t need to hide behind flags to show our patriotism, and we have every right to be suspicious, and maybe even contemptuous, of those who do.

This article by Sarah Ditum is, in my opinion, worth a read:-
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/11/tweeting-picture-house-not-act-class-warfare-whatever-sun-says
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost whistler Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 am

What was her reasoning behind the picture though?
ghost whistler
ghost whistler

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 pm

I have no idea G.W. But there are people on my estate with those flags draped and all they are are anti immigrants i'm afraid.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:51 pm

The working class is not homogeneous. The idea that a single photograph, without a comment, can be described by the gutter press as an attack on the entire working class is absurd. I’m not a mind-reader; I don’t why Emily Thornberry tweeted that photo, and as it was one of a series, she may not have thought about it herself for very long. This was one possible explanation offered by Sarah Ditum in the article I posted a link to previously:-

Thornberry spotted a house decked out as jingoism mansion in a constituency on the verge of electing a nationalist candidate, and thought, “Hey that tells us something about the political atmosphere, I’ll show it to my followers.”

Maybe she was offended by what she saw. The flag of St George is used by people to try to assert that they’re not ‘British’ (like all those pesky immigrants and ethnic minorities), but ‘English’ (even though no such sovereign state exists; try getting an English passport). The flag has been hijacked by racist groups such as the EDL (and West Ham F.C.), and although White Van Dan put his three up for the World Cup in June, he’s left them there ever since, presumably to demonstrate his ‘patriotism’ and to upset immigrants. But of course it isn’t patriotism, it’s nationalism, a much more dangerous concept. The joke of it is that St George, if he existed at all, was probably a Roman soldier in Palestine.

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t546-is-nationalism-evil

Or maybe it was just snobbery. How does Emily Thornberry’s photo compare with Sir George Young’s infamous quip that "the homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera"? Since when has being a snob ever been a sackable offence?
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Basically Ivan most of those flags have been left up since the world cup in most places have they not? and it is either laziness of the people not to take them down, or they are thinking it is nationalistic sign.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:55 pm

stuart torr wrote:Basically Ivan most of those flags have been left up since the world cup in most places have they not? and it is either laziness of the people not to take them down, or they are thinking it is nationalistic sign.
My next-door-neighbour put up one about as big as Wembley Stadium, and it has been rotting away up there ever since England bit the footballing dust. To treat your flag like that hardly suggests any kind of patriotism to me.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Exactly Penderyn it must be sheer laziness not to take them down.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm

England flags, white vans and prejudice

I would like an opportunity to say what the England flag has meant to me for decades. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, 'Paki-bashing' was a common pastime among white people. Having eggs thrown at your door, stones at your window, or being spat on, was a part of life. The word 'Paki' was a normal part of the lexicon. It was usually punctuated with the F-word before it and the C-word after it. All three words were used to insult and intimidate.

Walls and alleyways were often decorated with the words 'Paki go home'. Along with this message would be the letters NF and the union jack or the St George’s flag. National Front marches or far-right rallies were a sea of such flags.

For decades the England flag and union jack represented far-right, racist views. Now people want to use them for the right reasons and say I’m being silly. My questions to them are: Where were you when the far right hijacked it? Why did you stand by and let your beloved flags be degraded? Why didn’t you tell them 'Get your filthy fascist hands off my flag?'

So, after a quarter-century of these oppressive symbols (telling me to beware and to know to my place), please forgive me being suspicious of people who display these flags. How am I supposed to know the difference?

Bhasker Bhadresha
London

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/england-flags-white-vans-prejudice
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:38 pm

I am it is the same with us Ivan is it not? and also if you read our posts Bhasker? how are we supposed to know the difference unless you speak to the house occupier and find their views, then it will become clear very quickly will it not?
Also I was not all that politically aware with regards to the NF and the flags, even though prior to that I was a shop steward I was getting over my illness at some of those points and my memory had gone, apologies Bhasker.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Labour must fight off these bogus Tory attacks on class

Extracts from an article by Polly Toynbee:-

Out of touch with the working class, says ‘The Mail’, parading a row of pictures of Labour leaders and their homes. Never mind that Paul Dacre and Rupert Murdoch’s apparatchiks live in far swankier style. Or that these Labour people are honest enough to advocate a mansion tax that would hit a few of them too, because they think it wrong that property bubbles gift London professionals huge unearned, untaxed profits. ‘The Mail’ damns a tax on the top 0.5% of properties as “the politics of envy” – while stirring that envy to the hilt. And where’s the matching map of the homes of Tory grandees who oppose a mansion tax?

There is nothing hypocritical about Oxbridge-educated Labour politicians advocating greater equality in a country on a frightening trajectory of social injustice. On the contrary, it’s one of the few things that allow you to retain confidence in the political process that self-interest and cynicism are not universal.

Dishonesty and hypocrisy belong to the right, its pretended concern for equality of opportunity a sham. Waving the St George flag, its members accuse the liberal left of lacking patriotism – but there is nothing more unpatriotic than fostering atomisation. There has never been a more divisive government, intent on setting groups and interests venomously against each other – private wealth creators against public servants, deserving against undeserving, hardworking against disabled, those blessed by good luck told they merit more than those cursed by misfortune.

For the whole article:-
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/25/labour-tory-class-right-emily-thornberry-left-inequality
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Ivan if only you could have seen the changes in peoples attitudes towards me from when I was fully able, ie out drinking with the lads etc, to how they are now with me now it is no proper drinking and ladding it etc because of my illness and medication.
I was dropped quicker than a hot brick mate, that is what makes me both sad yet angry at the same time, knowing that I would not have done that to them.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Ivan wrote:Labour must fight off these bogus Tory attacks on class

Extract from an article by Polly Toynbee:-

Dishonesty and hypocrisy belong to the right, its pretended concern for equality of opportunity a sham. Waving the St George flag, its members accuse the liberal left of lacking patriotism – but there is nothing more unpatriotic than fostering atomisation. There has never been a more divisive government, intent on setting groups and interests venomously against each other – private wealth creators against public servants, deserving against undeserving, hardworking against disabled, those blessed by good luck told they merit more than those cursed by misfortune.

For the whole article:-
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/25/labour-tory-class-right-emily-thornberry-left-inequality

What on earth is the 'liberal left'?    The left here has been socialist for over a century.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Penderyn you have members of each political party that are for the centre, or lean more to the right, ie have a little more right wing policies or to the left which obviously has feelings towards the left wing policies of that party.
So the "liberal left" will have more of a lean toward the labour side of that party.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Penderyn wrote:-
What on earth is the 'liberal left'?    The left here has been socialist for over a century.
I understand the ‘liberal left’ to be those who don’t mind if we have women priests and bishops, think that gay people should be allowed to marry if they wish, oppose capital and corporal punishment, believe in a woman’s right to choose, and would be happy to decriminalise soft drugs. Maybe we’re talking about the ‘libertarian left’, as opposed to the ‘authoritarian left’ (which would include the likes of Stalin).

Is Ed Miliband living on borrowed time? Axeswithnames
http://www.politicalcompass.org

Or maybe Polly Toynbee was just thinking of social democrats, who can be found in the Labour Party and used to be prevalent in the Liberal Democrats before the ‘Orange Bookers’ hijacked the show.

Labour has been the most prominent organ of socialism in this country throughout the last century, but one could argue that it was only the post-1945 government of Clement Attlee which put it into effect. Dear old Tony Benn once said that “Labour is not a socialist party, it is a party with socialists in it”.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I learned about old socialism from my paternal grandfather he used to sit me on his knee when I was very young and sing the redflag song to me that was my socialism
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:50 pm

I do like that Polly Toynbee
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I will second that boatlady, what xmas prezzie shall we get her? Laughing Laughing
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 pm

We will just admire her and tell all our friends
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Leave it to you to tell your friends then boatlady. Laughing
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 pm

"Liberal Left" sounds like a description from American politics. Republicans are in the habit of referring to Obama's Democrat administration as Liberals.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Ivan wrote:Labour has been the most prominent organ of socialism in this country throughout the last century, but one could argue that it was only the post-1945 government of Clement Attlee which put it into effect. Dear old Tony Benn once said that “Labour is not a socialist party, it is a party with socialists in it”.

Which is why the Labour Party, even when it was that, was never as such 'left'.   I see that there would have been marginally more and less progressive persons at the court of Genghiz Khan, but I still think that I don't want to hand the term 'left' to those who want to retain this sick system.
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:18 pm

And there was me thinking that it was a term to describe what will remain of Clegg's band of traitors in Parliament after May 2015 - eg " See that chap over there? He is the Liberal left..." Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Nice one Phil Laughing
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Penderyn Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:And there was me thinking that it was a term to describe what will remain of Clegg's band of traitors in Parliament after May 2015 -     eg " See that chap over there? He is the Liberal left..."              Shocked

Nah - just another dead man walking! Smile
Penderyn
Penderyn
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Know how to describe the liberal left now Penderyn, Laughing
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next