Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

+18
Bellatori
Dan Fante
Red Rackham
Red Cat Woman
Mel
blueturando
KnarkyBadger
Adele Carlyon
sickchip
trevorw2539
Phil Hornby
Stox 16
bobby
jackthelad
oftenwrong
tlttf
astra
Ivan
22 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Empty Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by Ivan Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

In 1956-7, Ipswich Town Football Club was promoted from Division 3 (South) to Division 2 (what's now called the Championship). Its success continued, reaching Division 1 (when it really was Division 1 and not, in effect, Division 3), and becoming English champions in its first season in the top flight (1961-2). Admittedly, the team's success owed a lot to the brilliance of Alf Ramsey, who later became the only manager ever to lead England to World Cup victory, but we all know it couldn't happen now. Nobody in their right mind would expect Swansea to become Premier League champions this season, only a very small group of teams can possibly achieve that. Realistically, only about seven teams have any chance of finishing in the top four - isn't it all too predictable, and therefore boring?

It all comes down to money, like so many things in life. Manchester United supporters used to joke that the two best teams in Manchester were Manchester United and Manchester United reserves, but I doubt if they do that now after their recent 6-1 thrashing by Manchester City. So what's changed? Manchester City was taken over by a group of businessmen from Abu Dhabi and received an enormous injection of cash.

Wouldn't you prefer it if Ipswich Town, or maybe Swansea or Wigan, had a chance of being English champions?
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Empty Re: Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by Ivan Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Would anyone bet against Manchester Utd winning the Premier League this season? If, as expected, they do, the winners during the League's 21-year existence will then be: Manchester Utd 13, Arsenal 3, Chelsea 3, Blackburn 1 and Manchester City 1.

Predictable and boring? Crying or Very sad

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Empty Re: Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm

These things tend to level out over time - it is just that United have broken all the usual rules on how long one team dominates. Over the next decade it will be Chelsea or Manchester City which catches up - or possibly Arsenal, if they can find a billionaire to pump in some cash. At one time Liverpool appeared unassailable , but look at them now.

What footy fans really need to be concerned about is when the FSA offers assurances that there are no concerns that the half-time Hot Dog is in any way under suspicion as to its advertised content... Shocked

Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Ask no questions ............ hear no lies.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Suarez - Dental or Mental?

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRiJ_mon3pTSUu9WXglmNPPpF-ytdOQdteEZjPXGOgBxc6dp4W

" I may have bitten off more than I can chew..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Just one of many "Public Figures" who ought to be obliged to wear a muzzle.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:46 pm

The Anfield Kop is in Full Voice...

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 2Q==

" And You'll Never Bite Alone..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 pm

err-loan. err-loan. err-loan.

Call Wonga.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Will Rodgers Appeal Suarez's 10-match Ban?

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUuquxCbCB6QUHOK9AY7yzy0cMNfNLB5islOG5FOW9D5xPUVVyTQ

" I'm not making a decision, Luis - you chews...er...I mean choose..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuc4mS7uUnj-KwFMBFI6SxmuAVKHYK5KHH-59a-xR8jGh8fgJa

" Bugger - I've only gone and bitten my tongue..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun May 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I think the Premier League has at last solved the incessant problems and arguments over decisions given by match officials : it seems that at Anfield they allow the home fans to referee the game... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Everything will change when Greg Dyke takes over the FA. He'll start by sacking Chris Patten. (That's Baron Patten of Barnes CH PC for the pedantic. Currently somat to do with Aunty Beeb, RIP.)
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 am

oftenwrong wrote:Everything will change when Greg Dyke takes over the FA.  He'll start by sacking Chris Patten. (That's Baron Patten of Barnes CH PC for the pedantic.  Currently somat to do with Aunty Beeb, RIP.)
I feel confident it'll only be a matter of time before England win another major tournament now Greg Dyke has appointed Howard Wilkinson to his all new, sparkly FA Commission Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Wilkinson is a much underestimated fellow.

And with some justification...     Rolling Eyes
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

I'll always have a soft spot for him because of his time at Sunderland.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 am

I ,too, have soft spot for many people in football.

It's called quicksand...   Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 am

Well, it's certainly not predictable this season. Can't believe Newcastle beat Chelsea. Mourinho's face was a picture.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm afraid to have to say it's all become too boring for my liking.

Midfield stalemate, packed defences, too many back passes and money has ruined the game. Those from overseas have changed our game to a defensive midfield mismash. Apart from perhaps the Spaniards who excite with their pace and first time passing abilities. Change of pace at the right time, unlike our predictable week in week out games. Not particularly the unusual results, as Dan has pointed out, but the way in which the game is now being played.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Mel wrote:I'm afraid to have to say it's all become too boring for my liking.

Midfield stalemate, packed defences, too many back passes and money has ruined the game. Those from overseas have changed our game to a defensive midfield mismash. Apart from perhaps the Spaniards who excite with their pace and first time passing abilities. Change of pace at the right time, unlike our predictable week in week out games. Not particularly the unusual results, as Dan has pointed out, but the way in which the game is now being played.
I've fallen out of love with the modern game as a whole like. Although I enjoyed watching us beat Chelsea on Sunday Wink
I think the fitness levels have changed the game. The recent quotes of Socrates I posted alluded to this but also in the excellent book on Brazilian football by Alex Belios whereby you would need to reduce the amount of outfield players to get back to the amount of space players used to have because of the amount of extra ground players now cover during a match. It's not the only problem with modern football by any means.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

As old Grevsie used to say, "funny old game innit"

I love the people from the North East and Sunderland and Newcastle FC's. Except when they play Man U. Smile
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm

"I enjoyed watching us beat Chelsea on Sunday"

I'm a proud grandfather of my 11yr old grandson who signed a contract with Chelsea, having been signed by Crystal Palace for three months prior to him joining Chelsea. Fantastic !!!

He wouldn't mind your comments about Chelsea losing to Newcastle, as he still supports Man U. cheers 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:40 am

Mel wrote:"I enjoyed watching us beat Chelsea on Sunday"

I'm a proud grandfather of my 11yr old grandson who signed a contract with Chelsea, having been  signed by Crystal Palace for three months prior to him joining Chelsea. Fantastic !!!

He wouldn't mind your comments about Chelsea losing to Newcastle, as he still supports Man U. cheers 
I meant Saturday by the way. Embarassed 
You must be very proud of your grandson. Obviously he has a long way to go to make the grade but it's still a fantastic achievement. I think fans always like to see 'home-grown' players come through the ranks too. Does he take after you in terms of footballing ability then? Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:20 am

"Does he take after you in terms of footballing ability then?"
Indeed he does Dan, I was at Watford for three yrs but sadly never quite made the grade. One of my sons (the father or the talented boy) was at Charlton Athletic as an apprentice. Sady came down with glandular fever and that was that.
The thing that surprised me was that Chelsea paid a handsom sum to Palace to release my grandson. I do not think that this sort of thing should happen, especially where a 9yr old is concerned, no matter how good that boy's ability may be.

Still as you so rightly say "there is a long way to go"

Thank you for you interest Dan.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am

I've got a bit of footballing heritage in my own family with a few relatives, distant and otherwise, having played as pros. My dad and his brother were apprentices at Leeds and Preston N.E. before playing local football for many years. I'm not sure what happened to me.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 am

"I'm not sure what happened to me. ."

Perhaps love got in the way!!!!Laughing 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:15 am

I had Dan down as a referee , what with that pointing finger in his avatar.

At least, that's the view I normally had of the men in black, once they had heard what I had said about a decision or two of theirs.

I used to tell them it was good of them to come running all the way back to me in goal , just to have a chat. Only ever sent off once and otherwise never booked. How many Premier League players can say that...?  Smile
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:28 pm

"Only ever sent off once"

Tut tut!!! not good for a man of your religious vocation Phil.
Did you inform the Bishop? Smile 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:31 pm

"Did you inform the Bishop? Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 4 Icon_smile"  
He was the ref....        Crying or Very sad
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:41 pm

You obviously won't make a HABIT of that Phil. Very Happy 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Was the ball manufactured by Mitre?
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I tried similar jokes on the Disciplinary Panel when I went to appeal , but they told me I didn't have a leg to kneel on...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm

The Premier League showed again today just how predictable it remains.

Witness the usual contortions of a referee at Stamford Bridge - who is sufficiently compliant to add five or six minutes and to award a mysterious penalty in the last of those to save one of the 'big' teams at the death.

When WILL somebody put an end to this type of 'match management' ...?
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Dan Fante. That's an interesting new avatar that you have, but I can't decide whether you're a Notts County or a St Mirren supporter...... What a Face
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Just a little tribute to Gary Speed, with the 2nd anniversary of his sad passing having just taken place. And Berwick are my Scottish team, on account of their being English Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Gary Speed : still a mystery to me - we never really know what demons exist within those who appear to the outside world to be successful and content.

It clearly isn't money which creates happiness...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Quite right, but I must say, its very nice to be able to choose where in the world to be miserable.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am

Phil Hornby wrote:Gary Speed : still a mystery to me - we never really know what demons exist within those who appear to the outside world to be successful and content.

I'm still saddened by it. It affected me more that it should have really. Such a waste....
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:27 pm

The allegations of match-fixing creep ever-closer to the Premier League (PL).

It is doubtful whether there could be sufficient financial inducement for players who receive salaries bordering on the unbelievable, but there may be other options.

How long might it be before suspicions are aroused about whether a referee has been persuaded to dish out a favour or two? It would come as no surprise whatsoever to me when I see some of the antics which occur most weekends.

Personally I would trust fewer than a handful of them not to be perfectly willing to offer a helping hand to the highest bidder.

It should also be noted that BT Sport have allegedly removed former PL referee Mark Halsey from their live coverage at the behest of the PL, who seem not to have liked Halsey criticising refereeing standards. Firstly, what a pathetic act of surrender from BT for even listening to the Premier League mandarins if so,  and secondly isn't it so typical of the modern game that referees are protected from any suggestion that they are less than perfect? Little wonder that their performance levels are in most respects well short of what the game needs - to say the very least...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Where cash and greed is concerned nothing would surprise me Phil in any walk of life especially in regards to sport. I agree that some refs could well be involved in match fixing as well as some players.
It is happening in the world of snooker for example and other sports as well.
As for BT, greed is rife as it is with Sky and all those bloody privatised utilities.
Wherever one looks, some buggers are either on the con or ripping us off in some shape or form, therefore is it such a surprise that it happens in football?
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Never mind that, lets talk about the game at Old Trafford Wink
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 pm

LUCKY!!!!!!!! Smile 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Statistics seem to indicate that a Newcastle victory at Old Trafford is as rare as an honest Tory MP.

Well, not quite that rare , obviously...         Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next