Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Paul's lazy demonstrators

5 posters

Go down

St Paul's lazy demonstrators Empty St Paul's lazy demonstrators

Post by astra Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

The Oh Soh pwoppah bunch at St Pauls, ruining the grass there for NO good reason have atracted much media oxygen for very little effort!

Here in the North East the much maligned youth have been trying something, but do you hear of it? -

Jarrow marchers complete journey

Nov 5 2011

A group of activists who have recreated the famous 1936 Jarrow March for Jobs will complete their 330-mile journey by highlighting the growing "crisis" of youth unemployment.

Dozens of people have taken part in the trek from the North East to London, where a rally on Saturday will be addressed by politicians and union leaders.

Youth Fight for Jobs, which organised the march, will hand in a petition to 10 Downing Street calling for a huge Government job scheme, apprenticeships

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/uk-and-world-news/2011/11/05/jarrow-marchers-complete-journey-84229-29724361/#ixzz1cqEcWJuN

Just goes to show that you have a better chance if you live and kip in the M25 ring!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

St Paul's lazy demonstrators Empty Re: St Paul's lazy demonstrators

Post by astra Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I see that the above link has been used by virginmedia.com at 3.15pm today!! you got it here first folks!! cheers
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Now then, lad. Just you show us Soft Southerners where to find "The North East" on the map. Is there still the graffiti on the railway bridge outside Durham which reads, "The North East is closed for repairs." ?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:45 pm

EEEEYUPPPP

That is still there! Very Happy

When you put a map of UK on the door. London is down at the threshold, and Newcastle is just above the door handle!!

Hope that helps!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 am

Hello astra. I don’t see this as an 'either/or' issue, and I think we should be commending both the young Jarrow marchers and the St Paul’s protesters (the Occupy London Stock Exchange group), since they’re two sides of the same coin.

OLSX is a group inspired by an occupation of New York's Wall Street, and they went to Parliament Square to support the 20 young people who finished their march from Jarrow, which was aimed at highlighting the effects of government cuts. In return, Jarrow MP Stephen Hepburn told the assembled crowd that a "cancer" lay in the City of London, and he praised protesters camping outside St Paul's Cathedral.

You’re correct in saying that the marchers didn’t get much publicity, and you don’t unless you cause some disruption. Very few of the marches organised by the Coalition of Resistance ever make it to the news because they’re peaceful. On the other hand, OLSX supporters were allegedly causing health and safety issues outside St Paul’s, which made them newsworthy. Because of that, they’ve attracted comments like this one from the Bishop of Grantham: “We have a situation where a group of people are protesting against quite clear issues in the country today, and it seems to me the church should be full square with them in questioning the system that we have. Any protest is a healthy sign in a healthy democracy. A society which tries to oppress protest is on the rocky road to ruin”.

The publicity has even made Ed Miliband write an article for ‘The Observer’ in which he argued that he’s coming from the same place as OLSX. He said: “The protests reflect a crisis of concern for millions of people about the biggest issue of our time: the gap between their values and the way our country is run”. As Owen Jones has written: “The fact that a Labour leader is at all upbeat about the Occupy movement in the Sunday papers shows that pressure from below pays off. The movement is helping to shape the terms of the political debate”.

Miliband went on to slam "many of those who earn the most, exercise great power, enjoy enormous privilege" for having "values that are out of kilter with almost everyone else". He attacked "a system of irresponsible, predatory capitalism"; energy companies and banks came under fire too. And he openly tapped into the signature slogan of the Occupy movement: "People feel let down by aspects of business, finance and politics which seem in touch with the richest 1% - but badly out of touch with the reality facing the other 99%”.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/11/labour-miliband-occupy

On the other hand, Boris Johnson once again revealed where his loyalties lie. Having been to a Davos summit and implored delegates “not to be too hard on the bankers”, and as he campaigns quite vigorously for bankers' (and his) top rate of Income Tax to be lowered to 40%, he went and shouted at the protesters: “In the name of God and Mammon go!".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15534876

Let’s hope that the ordinary citizens of London – struggling to make ends meet with higher VAT, cuts to services on which they depend, and as the value of their pay and benefits are overtaken by inflation – remember Johnson’s priorities when it comes to the mayoral election in May, and that they sling him out on his nose.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Thing is Ivan, that what the Saff are feelinng now has been in the North East for the last 10 years and longer! What did the Millibands, the Blairs and all the rest, (to include Peter Mandelson MP for Hartlepool) do for the area? They had the chance when in power yet did absolutely nowt for the area or it's people. These were the Ministers in the New Labour hierarchy who had influence and power (or shoud have had!) and not some back bench toadey, yet the area lags behind all others.
I am Neither labour or tory, and not english either, I am taking an outsider's view of this, still, after living here for 30 years!

The road network here is primitive - it was to be upgraded, but swampy got in! The government listened to him and saved money!! Red Ken could not have done better in the 70s!
The railway here is held together with elastoplast and elastic bands, and like the North of Scotland, the Rolling stock is way past its sell by date.

IF the South is felling it, what is happening up here is criminal! We pay our taxes for no recompense.

Last edited by astra on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

It's no good complaining about the way things are going inthis country if you are not prepared to do anything about it. At least the Jarrow marchers, and the protesters outside St Paul's are doing something about it. As a miner on strike for 12 months, March 1984 to 1985, know a little about protesting, our jobs still went the way of the Steel Industry and the Ship Yards, but we did attempt to fight the closures. If all these Industries hadn't been allowed to close the country would probably not be in the state it is today.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I was a printer in the 70s, when THAT industry took a maggie bashing! The miners did not turn a hand for us!

Even the printing industry was lambasted by the tory press (and tell me, Who is it prints the effin papers?)
We need ships, can't build them
We need heat, have millions of tones of coal but it will NEVER see fresh air
We need light, Have the capability with Hydro from Wales, Lake District and Scotland to fix it but that does not suit the "SUITS"
We have the labour force, we have been deadened down by successive self seekers that the life force is removed from this country - its the excuse for bringing in all the immigrants. (UK is the ONLY country with NO CAP on immigration numbers! France AND Germany cherrypick the immigrants they want and chuck the rest laughingly at us HA HA HA! take that tommy!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 pm

But the unfortunate fact remains that there are certain jobs which even unemployed Brits prefer not to take at any price.
Immigrants fill the gap doing essential jobs like harvesting vegetables, working in kitchens, office cleaning, hospital portering, care assistants etc., etc.
Even allowing for Maggie's intentional destruction of Industry, too many of us seem unwilling to examine alternatives.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Pupils at school (well those who condescend to attend) are taught not to sell themselves cheaply!
Thing is, they see parents and relatives who do little or nothing surviving - not living to what you or I would call acceptable, but it is what they are used to.
When I left the printing trade, to go Ambulance driving, I was ridiculled for "Going down the social ladder", When I left that job to go bus driving - well you can just imagine what was put my way
I got my own back at all those who were so cynical - while thanking them for their concern, I showed them two consecutive paypackets for £250.00 per week net! (OK I went mercinary on picking up the overtime, but in 1978, there were no restrictions on driver's hours!) and that was bus driving.
Nowadays they will not go HGV driving, but if you look at Eddie Stobbart his drivers are picking up £44,000 gross with all the overtime they can slot into their weekly allowance to add on top! and Stobbart is not alone in this salary. Train driving, another looked down on job pays very well, but it is dangerous and responsible (I have seen quite a few trainees drop out when the responsibilities and legalities are pointed out)
It is (IMO) the social stigma that keeps them away from these jobs, plus the greed of the farmers. When I worked in the fields in the '60s, it was 'piece work' the more you picked the more you earned, and that then I was earning FAR FAR more then per hour, than wot the minimum wage per hour is now!!!!
If one wants to go self employed, a Jewish accountant told me I should go ice cream van rounds or taxi driving!! Why? Coz the takings are in CASH IN HAND and no hanging around awaiting cheques to arrive or going round collecting like window cleaners do.

It is down to teaching and the social stigma which is STILL alive and well in this country which youth, by following these myths, assert that by doing some jobs you are somehow less worthy than the banker or the Brain Surgeon.
EDIT

Just watching the One Show, talking about nursing recruitment - and the difficulties with Culture in the population, and cost cutting from those on high.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:50 pm

St Paul's lazy demonstrators AgXqlgsCIAAsOPY
Source: 'Twitter' (seefootnote)
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:38 am

The financial hub of the UK is centred in London. Don't expect mp's or others to give a toss about what happens outside London. I'm from the north-east but have worked in London (docklands/canary wharf) much of the past year. It's like being in another country.......it bears no relation to the rest of the UK.

Our whole economy, government, and decision making is snared within the London circle.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 am

I'm sorry......but if anybody thinks a bunch of disenfranchised youth from the north-east marching to London with a petition will make an ounce of difference, they are sadly mistaken. Nobody really gives a f anymore.
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 am

Anything which causes the Toffs to splutter into their champagne can't be a complete waste of effort.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum