Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC

+13
Bernadette
skwalker1964
blueturando
boatlady
Scarecrow
Ivan
True Blue
whitbyforklift
bobby
oftenwrong
Phil Hornby
astra
witchfinder
17 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 Empty The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC

Post by witchfinder Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

The BBC is to be made to suffer due to the failures of private funded commercial television, in a series of government policies aimed at smashing the BBC and forcing the quality down, the latest announcements have gone almost unoticed.

A new kind of TV station is coming soon to the UK, "City TV" will be a a very localized kind of TV station which will have coverage areas similar to local radio stations, often covering just one city like Manchester, Liverpool or Glasgow, though some will cover two or three neighbouring towns, like Newcastle + Sunderland or Leeds + Bradford for example.

Part of the start up costs and initial funding of these new commercial TV stations will come from the BBC, which actualy makes me extremely angry because many of us who live in more rural areas will never recieve one of these new stations, yet we will be paying towards them - WHY ?

Why is public money been used to help a private commercial concern to become viable ?

THE PREASSURE WHICH THE BBC SUDENLY FINDS ITSELF IN

The licence fee has been frozen for six years - resulting in a massive real terms cut

The BBC is been forced to take over all the funding of the World Service

The BBC is been made to fund the whole of "Monitoring Services" which was partly funded by the government

The BBC must contribute to the running costs of Channel S4C, the Welsh language channel

The BBC must contribute to the setting up of and initial running costs of the new City TV stations

Everyone keeps saying how much money this will save, not least the chancellor George Osborne, but no one seems to mention how quality and output will deterioate and worsen, the fact that we are going to sacrifice the quality of the BBC in the name of savings has never been mentioned.

Allready it has been announced only this week that many BBC local stations will merge output, effectively losing the local element to local radio, so whats the point of local radio if its NOT local. ?

Naturaly this will give the commercial stations an advantage, that is if you dont mind listening to a choir singing about a local drain cleaning company, or some DJ telling you that now is the time to buy your Christmas gifts - on the 1st November.

Soon the BBC will stop making programmes for daytime viewers, as a result of the financial preassure forced on the BBC by this government, day time viewing will in future consist mostly of repeats.

I suspect that the government is attempting to drive the BBC down to levels associated with SKY, a tv network which makes no tv programmes and where public service means nothing, or possibly they wish to make the BBC like ITV - a network so strapped for cash that they no longer make childrens programmes and can barely afford to carry on providing local news.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 Empty Re: The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm

To its eternal credit, the BBC does still report news accurately and in a balanced way- including that inconvenient to the government - despite the obvious risks in so doing .

It is only a matter of time before the Tories become so threatened by the truth, however, that they will start to put pressure on the Beeb to broadcast more 'Coalition-friendly' items. At that point we shall know that real desperation has crept in and Cameron feels the heat in the kitchen is becoming unbearable.

Overall, has there ever been a more detestable government...?

Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 Empty Re: The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC

Post by blueturando Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree Boatlady, but there is a reason the popular press and to some extent the BBC are behind the government on some policies and that's because they are a good many of the population realise things need to change. The UK has and is going backwards in so many ways and I know Redflag, Sky, Bobby and Ivan will completely disagree....but facts are fact which ever way you look at them.

Where the government has been wrong Labour has been found wanting...and that's a shame, because even a Tory like me realises that we need a strong opposition. I would like Miliband to show more teeth and guts and have a clear definition on where the party in going. Blair would have eaten Cameron for breakfast at every PMQ's

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

No, blue, I think the reason the popular press are behind Cameron and the Tories is that hate and prejudice (offered daily by this government) always yield better soundbites, and the reason the popular press is popular is firstly, people like soundbbites, because it takes away the need to think, and secondly, people are aware that something is wrong (i.e. the bankers gambled away all the country's money), don't know how to address that wrong, so are just grateful to have someone to blame.
You're right about Tony Blair though - he did have a bit of a scary way with him at times - we could do with some of that debating evil on the opposition benches now.
Duering my lifetime, although I've never been a very politically minded person, I haven't been able to remain unaware that Tory thinking is based on an 'us' and 'them' split, sometimes expressed as a sort of benign paternalism and often, as with this bunch, and the Thatcher government, as a nasty red in tooth and claw aggression against the those who do not fit the Tory mould.
I really wish someone could convince me the Tories are doing OK - I could get back to concentrating on what's important to me, which has never been political bickering, but when I'm seeing weekly evidence of how people are suffering hardship , debt, homelessness through no fault of their own, I'm in this argument.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Boatlady....Takling my Tory hat off for a minute I have to say I share your concerns and there are many things the Tories (Coalition) propose that I do not agree with.

We find ourselves in tricky waters where on one hand we are told we have to make cuts upon cuts, not just by the government, but by Labour, the EU, the IMF and the markets. On the other hand we seem to be able to dole out millions and billions to Banks, the EU and to overseas aid projects, where in some cases they run out of things to spend it on or the money is not even wanted by that nation.
All the while we have major problems at home with funding of the NHS, Defence, Education and supporting small businesses...I am sure these are a lot more things on this list.
My other concern is that from what I can see, if Labour return to government in 2015 there will be little change to all the issues I have highlighted above. The same excuses with be there, the same people will be telling us they have no money while wasting vast sums elsewhere..Tax avoidance will continue, Banks will be a law unto themselves and career politicians will do very well for themselves thank you

I AM AT A LOSS FOR THE SOLUTION

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:To its eternal credit, the BBC does still report news accurately and in a balanced way- including that inconvenient to the government - despite the obvious risks in so doing .

It is only a matter of time before the Tories become so threatened by the truth, however, that they will start to put pressure on the Beeb to broadcast more 'Coalition-friendly' items. At that point we shall know that real desperation has crept in and Cameron feels the heat in the kitchen is becoming unbearable.

Overall, has there ever been a more detestable government...?

There's never been a more detestable govt, certainly - but the BBC fails badly on a regular basis. Coverage of the NHS bill protests last spring and coverage of the Oct 20 TUC march were abysmal.

Most recently, even Tory media have been spanking Cameron over his 'paying down the debt' lie in his party political broadcast - but not a peep on the BBC.

There are oases of resistance in the BBC, but overall the organisation is increasingly co-opted. Sad
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I have to concede that as a life long watcher of Question Time, it seems that Labour ministers seemed to get a harder time on the show than the coalition ministers currently do, but I also think Many of the Labour panelist have been weak and it's left up to other panel members to pose the awkward questions

Contrary to popular belief, the Daily Mail spends a great deal of time critisising Cameron and Osbourne

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:57 pm

blueturando wrote:-
the Daily Mail spends a great deal of time criticising Cameron and Osborne
Yes, that's true. The most right-wing government since the Second World War isn't right-wing enough for a newspaper which once said that German Jews seeking refuge in Britain were "exaggerating" the bad treatment they claimed to be getting from Herr Hitler's "sound and firm government".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BritishNewspapers
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

skwalker1964 wrote:There's never been a more detestable govt, certainly - but the BBC fails badly on a regular basis. Coverage of the NHS bill protests last spring and coverage of the Oct 20 TUC march were abysmal.

Most recently, even Tory media have been spanking Cameron over his 'paying down the debt' lie in his party political broadcast - but not a peep on the BBC.

There are oases of resistance in the BBC, but overall the organisation is increasingly co-opted. Sad

For a very revealing analysis of BBC complicity, this is well worth a read:

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourbeeb/oliver-huitson/how-bbc-betrayed-nhs-exclusive-report-on-two-years-of-censorship-and-distorti
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Blue
I too am at a loss for the solution, but maybe we could start, as there are 5 unemployed for every job vacancy, bu investing some of the billions this government is borrowing in infrastructure projects, such a social housing, neighbourhood regeneration projects and the like, creating paid work for some of the many unemployed people out there. While we're at it, maybe we could look into staffing and equipping hospitals properly, so people can get decent health care.
We could move on to start tackling tax avoidance and tax evasion, so as to get some more tax revenue coming into the budget.
Maybe we could look at the possibility of capping rents in the private sector - this would save a bit on the housing benefit bill.
Maybe we could look at requiring employers to give people proper rates of pay that they can actually live on, and secure employment contracts so they can plan for the future. This will all bring money back into circulation in the economy.
I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems to me some of the above might be a start - after all, as we're borrowing, let's spend the borrowed money on something that'll actually do some good.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 am

blueturando wrote:I have to concede that as a life long watcher of Question Time, it seems that Labour ministers seemed to get a harder time on the show than the coalition ministers currently do, but I also think Many of the Labour panelist have been weak and it's left up to other panel members to pose the awkward questions

Contrary to popular belief, the Daily Mail spends a great deal of time critisising Cameron and Osbourne

I was chatting to a fellow NHS campaigner not too long ago. He was shaking his head at the fact, but had to admit that the DM is one of his staunchest allies and government critics when it comes to a narrow range of NHS issues - specifically A&E closures. They seem relatively happy to let the rest slide, but for whatever reason, A&E closures are a real bugbear to them.
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 pm

The new Director General of the BBC, Tony Hall, has said that he will be happy to let Commercial Stations chase the ratings downwards, while the Beeb concentrates on producing the quality programming for which it is admired worldwide.

Empty words, or a true intention?

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 _64318065_tonyhall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20451825
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Is there bias on BBC 'Question Time'?

by Phil Burton-Cartledge

http://www.newstatesman.com/broadcast/2012/11/there-bias-bbc-question-time

The figures in the above article were compiled on 22 November 2012. On 25 April 2013, Nigel Farage will make his 13th appearance on the show since December 2008, more than anyone else. Yet his party, UKIP, won only 3% of the votes in the 2010 election and has no MPs at Westminster. Trade union leaders, who represent far more people than Farage, have between them made only 9 appearances on the show in all that time, while business people have been on 32 times.

The right-wing bias of the programme becomes even more apparent when considering the journalists who have been invited, with Kelvin Mackenzie making the most appearances. Not only are hacks over-represented on the panel, but Tory-leaning journalists outnumber their Liberal and Labour-leaning contributors by over two to one.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm trying to remember who it was that is so anxious to shut the Beeb down for good .... Ozzie. Getting on now. Lives in USA. Inserted personal representative into Number 10 until rumbled. The only name that comes to mind is Digger - whatever that means.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernadette Wed May 08, 2013 1:19 pm

When the House of Lords recently passed Section 75 of the Health and Social Care Bill, there was no coverage on BBC News. The significance and contentiousness of this legislation, which opens the NHS up to a free market in healthcare, was explained here by Savi Hensman.

The failure of BBC News to cover the biggest change to our most treasured national institution since its inception was remarkable, and many people were dismayed. I, like many others, submitted a formal complaint to the BBC. The reply, when it came, was far from reassuring:

"Thanks for contacting us regarding BBC News’ coverage of the debate and vote on Section 75 of the Health and Social Bill in the House of Lords on 24 April 2013.

"BBC News has regularly covered and will continue to cover the changes in the NHS. Accordingly, we have reported on the progression of this bill through Parliament. The BBC News website reported on the most recent Lords debate and vote at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22268417

"BBC Parliament provided live coverage of the debate and vote on 24 April and broadcast highlights of the session on 25 April. The full session can still be seen on the BBC’s Democracy Live website at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/house-of-lords-22283592

"We feel it is important to add that 24 April was a strong news day for health stories, with a number competing for space during our bulletins. On the evening of the vote and into the next day, BBC News covered the following health stories: growing pressure on Accident and Emergency Units and the subsequent discussion during Prime Minister’s Questions, the cosmetic surgery review, hospital mortality statistics, measles figures for England and a report on sugary drinks causing 20 per cent more diabetes.

"BBC News believes our health teams have reflected the movement of this bill through Parliament and other developments within the NHS across a range of our coverage."

So, effectively the BBC acknowledges that it failed to cover this important event on any news bulletin, relegating it to the Parliament Channel, which has tiny viewing figures, and the BBC website. This meant that anybody who had not closely followed the legislation through Parliament would have remained unaware of what happened on 24th April, and the very significant implications for the whole population. Busy working people who rely on BBC News may feel that they are keeping up with current events, but on this issue the BBC has singularly failed to inform them.

By listing the health stories it did broadcast on that day, the BBC only gives the impression that it went out of its way to cover anything but the legislation. Sugary drinks causing diabetes and a cosmetic surgery review were hardly dramatic news that couldn’t wait another day, or be featured on the website. As for the story about pressure on Accident and Emergency Units, this is surely a symptom of the great upheaval being wrought in the NHS, and arguably could not be properly addressed without awareness of the legislation bringing it about.

It seems that the BBC is keen to cover ‘health’ stories, and problems within the NHS, but is very reluctant to examine the structures and mechanisms by which health care is delivered, and the political decisions made regarding them. This is like covering crime but ignoring a revolution within the police service.

This failure to cover the NHS changes adequately is in stark contrast to the BBC’s excessive coverage of UKIP since the last General Election. Nobody votes for a party they’ve never heard of, so with its very small membership and limited resources, it’s impossible to imagine how UKIP would have achieved such a high profile without the assistance of the media, seemingly led by the BBC.

In one week this January I took note of who appeared on the Daily Politics, Any Questions, and Question Time are all flagship political programmes on the BBC. In that week, there were four appearances by a UKIP representative, with no Greens, despite the fact that unlike UKIP, they do have an MP. UKIP were definitely over represented, as they have been consistently during the last few years. They could not have bought the publicity such excessive air time gave them: it must surely have raised their profile and helped them to achieve their breakthrough in the Council elections.

These dubious priorities in news coverage and evident lack of political balance are a growing cause for concern regarding the BBC. One can only wonder what is happening, who is making the decisions, and why.
Bernadette
Bernadette

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Ever since John Charles Walsham Reith, 1st Baron Reith (1889–1971) was in charge, successive Governments of all hues have at one time or other complained about bias in the BBC.

With satellite-borne Pay-TV in full cry to weaken its strongest competitor, under the benign eye of a compliant Administration, the BBC must avoid giving hostages to fortune.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Hello Berna - didn't realise you were here! Have you just joined, or been around but quiet? Or have I been dim?
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed May 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Steve, nobody in their right mind would ever call you dim, but the answer to your question is under Bernadette's avatar.....
Very Happy
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernadette Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 am

Hello Steve, as Ivan said, nobody in their right mind would call you dim! No, I have only posted twice, but will try to do better Very Happy
Bernadette
Bernadette

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm

The BBC is under serious and continuous threat from the Tory-led Coalition because its advertising-free programming is preferred by the Licence-paying British, over the Commercial alternatives.

BSkyB, Bauer Radio, Celador, Global Radio, ITV and RTL would all be delighted to have that competition silenced.

Then Pay-per-view would become a real money-spinner 24 / 7 / 365.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm

He probably needs gagging - idiot with attitude
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm

At least the BBC have stopped providing a private chartered aeroplane for its Director General now that Mark Thompson has fled to the USA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/25/bbc-expenses-mark-thompson-private-jet-jana-bennett

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 pm

IDS vs BBC: Work and Pensions Secretary blasts Corporation for 'politically-motivated' criticism of his benefits shake-up
Iain Duncan Smith clashes with Today presenter John Humphrys
Claims BBC uses 'little cases' to claim entire welfare programme is wrong
From today benefits will be capped at £26,000-a-year
David Cameron blunders on Twitter with IDS spoof account

By Matt Chorley, Mailonline Political Editor

PUBLISHED: 08:57, 15 July 2013  | UPDATED: 11:58, 15 July 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2363924/IDS-vs-BBC-Work-Pensions-Secretary-blasts-Corporation-politically-motivated-criticism-benefits-cap.html#ixzz2Z9j6uN7L
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm

My philosophical friend, Lars Porsena of Clusium, draws attention to the following extract from The Independent magazine, describing the activity within a TV Newsroom:

It's Osborne's spending review that'll dominate the day's output. "That doesn't fill me with joy" says the executive producer, "but it's a big story. There's always a balance between wanting more people to watch and doing important news. Political stuff never rates very well for anybody, but if we didn't cover the spending review, people would wonder why. We're a 24-hour news operation, a moving journal of record. Ratings, reputation and credibility are all in play. So we'll put a lot of effort into trying to make the story engaging, and explaining why it's the most important thing happening today - even if people's reaction is 'Yeah, yeah, it's just politics, innit'. "

Sky News, if you hadn't guessed.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Maria Miller's attack on BBC independence should be resisted

George Eaton: “The Culture Secretary's decision to challenge the BBC to take ‘further action’ against tennis commentator John Inverdale is an abuse of power. In seeking to save her job, Miller has only succeeded in again demonstrating why she is unfit to hold it.”

For the whole story:-
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/maria-millers-attack-bbc-independence-should-be-resisted
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

As I may have said before (Stop yawning at the back there!), for so long as Aunty Beeb gets criticised by Tory and Labour in roughly equal measure, it may be assumed that their reporting is no more biassed towards one side than the other.

But how many people still remember Churchill's reference to The monstrous regiment of women?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

oftenwrong wrote:-
for so long as Aunty Beeb gets criticised by Tory and Labour in roughly equal measure, it may be assumed that their reporting is no more biased towards one side than the other.
I would probably have agreed with you three years ago, but not any longer. Since this fascist government installed their poodle Patten as chairman of the BBC Trust, there has definitely been censorship of news which doesn’t suit the Tories. This is the most blatant example:-

How the BBC betrayed the NHS: an exclusive report on two years of censorship and distortion

by Oliver Huitson

“Much has been written about the failure of the BBC to properly inform the public of the nature of the coalition government’s NHS bill, now the Health and Social Care Act, passed by the Lords on 19 March 2012. Many felt the BBC had abandoned the NHS under Conservative pressure and it appears significant numbers lodged complaints. And quite rightly. Having spent a number of days researching BBC coverage of the NHS, the picture which emerges should be of deep concern for both the BBC and the public. For whatever reason – and there are a number – it appears the BBC made a concerted effort to follow the government line, censor critical facts, bury fundamental elements of the reforms and present opposition to the bill in an intentionally limited and shallow manner. Their requirement to report impartially appears to have been fundamentally breached.”

Much more:-
http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourbeeb/oliver-huitson/how-bbc-betrayed-nhs-exclusive-report-on-two-years-of-censorship-and-distorti
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 am

The BBC is colluding in the government’s attack on benefit claimants

by Laurie Penny

The BBC is devoting hours of its prime-time schedule to pitting the underpaid against the unemployed. The spectacle of one single mother telling another in the tin-can aisle at the supermarket that she’s greedy because she wants her kids to have a hot meal says a great deal about modern Britain.

The BBC1 programme 'Nick and Margaret: We All Pay Your Benefits', echoing the rhetoric of the DWP, pits “taxpayers” against “shirkers” and asks how we can “make work pay”. Of these gristly little semantic nuggets of state propaganda, “making work pay” is the most noxious – a mantra that’s incanted by every jobsworth Tory in every debate, in line with the logic that if one repeats a lie for long enough it will function as truth.

On any other channel, a programme such as this could be written off as a crass cash-in on public mistrust of the welfare system, treating the unemployed as a telegenic cross between criminals and animals in a zoo. That it was given the green light by the BBC, a publicly funded and supposedly impartial broadcaster, indicates something more. It suggests a culture shift: the wilful misdirection of public anger towards those who least deserve it.

The cruellest thing about the benefits cap is not that it could make thousands of people homeless or force more families to depend on food banks (three of these open every week). It’s that it’s not really about people on benefits at all. They aren’t the voters this government is interested in attracting. It’s about placating public rage and persuading people who would vote for a tin of beans if it had a Tory ribbon on it that this government is tough and in charge.

For the full article:-
http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/07/bbc-colluding-governments-attack-benefit-claimants
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 am

There's a bit of a proliferation of this type of programming - proof if it were needed that the media at least are firmly behind this government's agenda. Not sure how that will affect voting come 2015, but it makes one worry a bit. I guess, at least, this type of programme will stimulate discussion - which may be a good thing.
I did catch about three minutes of the programme under discussion and have to agree, on the basis of my very limited exposure, with every word of the article.
It's got so I hardly ever watch TV - mostly it's there for the cricket etc.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:54 am

The final program was the most interesting in that all the four families had managed to find work were going to have at least an interview for a job or were going back in the education.....

Nick's comments that before benefits are cut there should be jobs for people to apply for, he stated that there were too many applicants for each job for everyone to be in work.

At least this program was not the usual 'Large family of out of work scroungers' the commercial channels seem to focus on..........
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

At the other extreme, the daily Jeremy Kyle show provides amusement for the sufficiently biassed.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Astradt1.
Of course, in my 3 minutes viewing of the programme, I only saw the totally objectionable spectacle of an adult human being being castigated by a peer for daring to have any pleasure in her life in the absence of the all important JOB.
The point does want making, loud and clear, both that there isn't the work out there, and that in claiming social security moneys, people are only exercising a right of civilised society.

Blaming the victim is just an early step on the road to extermination camps.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Our Tory ‘friends’ like to spread myths about a ‘welfare dependency culture’ without providing any evidence to support it. We also have to suffer the lazy jibe about it being ‘a lifestyle choice’. A programme on this subject, presented by John Humphrys back in October 2011, has been found to have breached the BBC rules on both impartiality and accuracy. Shame on the BBC for once again being the mouthpiece of our evil Tory regime.

BBC Trust admits a key programme on Welfare State was biased

The programme, ‘The Future of the Welfare State’, was a key BBC production and explored the issue from a partisan view that claimed there was a ‘benefits dependency culture’ and an ‘age of entitlement’. The BBC Trust considered an appeal brought by the Child Poverty Action Group and an unidentified individual complainant.

Alison Garnham, Chief Executive of the Child Poverty Action Group, said:

“This programme, like too many media stories, failed the public by swallowing wholesale the evidence-free myth of a ‘dependency culture’ in which unemployment and rising benefit spending is the fault of the unemployed. The reality needs to be reported that only 3% of welfare expenditure goes on Jobseekers Allowance, and that aside from the direct effects of the recession, social security expenditure on working age benefits has not increased has a proportion of GDP in recent years”

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/07/30/bbc-trust-admits-a-key-programme-on-welfare-state-was-biased/
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Money is the root of all evil

Many onlookers assume that the BBC is an organ of Government, and certainly there have been times when it could hardly have been otherwise. (e.g. WW2 and 1982). But it is independent and has a Charter which protects that independence.

Funding is provided by the Broadcast Licence, which is a legal requirement upon anyone in the UK who possesses a Receiver. Unsurprisingly, the government of the day has an influence upon how much of the Broadcast Licence product is made available to the BBC, and how often, among protests from the private broadcasting companies.

Recent events at the BBC suggest an Old Boy Network primarily concerned with its own preservation.

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Tory voices on BBC four times as much as Labour

by Sunny Hundal  

"A study by researchers at Cardiff University has found that in 2012 Cameron outnumbered Ed Miliband by a factor of nearly four to one in reports on immigration, the EU and religion across the BBC. It also found that for reporting of all topics, Tory politicians were featured over 50% more often than Labour ones on the BBC News at Six.

It is usually the case that incumbents get more coverage than opposition politicians. But the difference is remarkable. Labour leaders and ministers outnumbered Tory shadow ministers by approximately two to one in 2007. By 2012 this has become four-to-one in favour of the Tories.

The evidence is even more stark for the BBC’s coverage of businesses versus trade unions. In both 2007 and 2012, across all programming, business representatives received substantially more airtime on BBC network news than they did on either ITV or Channel 4 News. On BBC News at Six, business representatives outnumbered trade union spokespersons by more than five to one in 2007 and by 19 to one in 2012.

On the issues of immigration and the EU in 2012, out of 806 source appearances, not one was allocated to a representative of organised labour. Considering the impact of the issues on the UK workforce, and the fact that trade unions represent the largest mass democratic organisations in civil society, such invisibility raises troubling questions for a public service broadcaster committed to impartial and balanced coverage."

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/08/23/study-tory-voices-on-bbc-four-times-as-much-as-labour/
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 am

.... and have you noticed that there has been no coverage on the BBC of Pease Pottage news? Viewer (and listener) feedback to Aunty Beeb consists of complaints about anachronisms in period drama (a Routemaster bus could not have been seen in 1948 etc.), and comedy programmes which aren't funny. Somebody is always unhappy about the Proms selection, or that they can't get Radio 6 in their car. There are even complaints about the complaints.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 Empty BBC bias

Post by Ivan Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 am

blueturando wrote:-
Now you're really clutching at straws. Most people know that the BBC has for many years has been biased to the left.

What utter rubbish. "Most" people? Have you provided a scrap of evidence to support that tired old Tory lie? No, of course you haven’t.
deadhorse 

Anyone who wants evidence – rather than regurgitated Tory claptrap – about the real bias of the BBC can find it here:-

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk/t193-the-gradual-destruction-and-right-wing-bias-of-the-bbc

and here:-

Who is clutching at straws?? Rolling Eyes
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Anyone who wants evidence – rather than regurgitated Tory claptrap – about the real bias of the BBC can find it here:-
Ivan...Your constant links to other peoples' opinions are never 'evidence' of anything...apart from their opinion. And guess what.....I can do the same thing as you, it must be some kinda magic this posting favourable links thing. Lets have your opinion and reasons for a change, or are you too lazy to post them

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/bbc-chief-mark-thompson-admits-leftwing-bias-6509105.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10211915/John-Humphrys-a-victim-of-BBC-Left-wing-bias.html

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2010/09/02/bbc-chief-admits-massive-left-wing-bias-vows-remedy-imbalance

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/412637/Now-even-the-BBC-admits-it-is-biased-to-its-very-core

We Are Biased, Admit The Stars Of BBC News - Rense.com
rense.com/general74/bbc.htm

So enough of your Labour claptrap please....keep clutching at those straws Ivan ‎

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

The gradual destruction and right-wing bias of the BBC - Page 2 Empty BBC bias

Post by blueturando Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:17 am

Report confirms left-wing, politically correct bias of BBC

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/351075#ixzz2gESJKksH

Maybe you should read some of the links provided to Ivan....Please dont let official reports and admitions from BBC chiefs get in the way of your own 'spin' campaign

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

blueturando. I suppose we can’t expect much from someone who tried to support the Tory lie of ‘a welfare dependency culture’ in the UK with one source about New Zealand and another which talked of the myth of a welfare dependency culture, but then that doesn’t bother you, does it? Get back from the pub late at night and do some trolling on Cutting Edge is your idea of fun, I suppose.

The sources which you posted don’t contain a single fact to support your assertion that “most people” know that the BBC has a left-wing bias. Your first and third sources cover the same point, that in Mark Thompson’s opinion, the BBC leaned to the left thirty years ago, but not so in recent years. As Thompson is a member of the posh gentleman’s Reform Club and someone who was coining £834,000 a year from the BBC in 2010, I can guess where he stands on the political spectrum.

Your second source tells us that Iain Duncan Smith – the serial liar who chillingly used the Nazi slogan “work makes you free” on breakfast TV on 27 May 2010 – thinks the BBC is biased. I expect Hitler did too. You must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if you think that evil bastard’s opinions represent “most people”. Anyway, that source has already been covered on this thread (see 31 July).

Racism is illegal, and all the fourth source tells us is that the BBC takes care not to give the oxygen of publicity to BNP scum and their ilk. In other words, the BBC obeys the law of the land. The source also contains a whopping lie, claiming that the BBC “takes trouble to make sure that representatives of the two main political parties are given roughly equal time on air”.

Whatever ‘rense.com’ might be, your fifth source is wildly inaccurate, trying to claim that the BBC is both anti-Christian and anti-monarchy. On Sunday mornings, I turn off Radio 4 at 8.10am to avoid the Sunday worship. We have the thought for the day every morning at 7.50am (it’s not always Christian, but the BBC refuses to allow atheists to take part). On weekdays at 9.45am we have the morning service, which interrupts Test Match Special commentary when the England cricket team is playing overseas. More people attend mosques in the UK than Church of England services (while the vast majority of people don’t attend any religious institution except for hatches, matches and dispatches), so if anything the BBC is biased in favour of Christianity.

As to the suggestion that the BBC is anti-monarchy, that’s just rubbish. Ma Windsor only needs to sneeze and it becomes the first story on the news, necessitating that dreary Nicholas Witchell to stand outside the gates of Buckingham Palace. Look at the ridiculous coverage of the non-event of Ms Middleton’s baby in July and you can see how the BBC must take much of the blame for the pathetic devotion of so many British airheads to a bunch of mega benefit scroungers who hold their positions through accident of birth or marriage. If the BBC really had a left-wing bias, it wouldn’t pander to such an obscenity.

As to your final source, try reading the bloody thing yourself and then finding out what it’s about. ‘The New Culture Forum’, far from being independent as one Richard Milnes suggests, aims “to provide a strong basis for mutual support and association for centre-right and other dissenting voices”. One of its directors attended and addressed a UKIP conference last weekend.

If you bothered to read this thread (I’m sure you won’t because the contents won’t massage your bigotry), you would see some facts, for example:-

- Chris Patten, Andrew Neil, Michael Portillo, Jeremy Clarkson, Nick Robinson and Bullingdon boy David Dimbleby are all Tories who have major roles at the BBC. Patten was put in place by that notorious left-winger Cameron.

- Craig Oliver became Cameron’s spin doctor after he had to get shot of Coulson. Oliver was previously the controller of BBC global news. His po-faced wife, Joanna Gosling, is currently a newsreader at the BBC.

- Tory ministers are four times more likely than Labour shadow ministers to be given air time by the BBC, which makes a nonsense of your fourth source.

- Business representatives on the BBC news outnumbered trade union spokespersons by 19 to one in 2012.

Oliver Huitson’s article is full of facts detailing the non-coverage by the BBC of the Health and Social Care Act during its passage through Parliament:-

Facts - on ‘Question Time’, Tory-leaning journalists outnumber their liberal and Labour-leaning contributors by over two to one, while leading trade unionists combined have been on less than Nigel Farage. Is that left-wing bias?

http://www.newstatesman.com/broadcast/2012/11/there-bias-bbc-question-time

The Tories don’t like the BBC because it is a public corporation and it isn’t as overtly biased in their favour as much of the press and Murdoch’s Sky TV. The Church of England used to be called ‘The Tory Party at prayer’, but in my opinion, which the facts appear to support, the BBC has become ‘The Tory Party on air’.

So as usual you offer us nothing but unsubstantiated opinions, interspersed liberally with lies and blatant inaccuracies. On the other hand, most of my links do provide access to evidence. Maybe you ought to go and learn the difference between facts and opinions before dumping any more of your unmitigated garbage on us. Alternatively, you could find something else to do when you get back from the pub. Meanwhile I'll carry on being 'lazy', working for this forum often for 8-10 hours a day.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next