Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Huhne get off?

+10
atv
astra
jackthelad
blueturando
bobby
Phil Hornby
oftenwrong
Ivan
Redflag
kentdougal
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will Huhne get off? Empty Will Huhne get off?

Post by kentdougal Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 am

What's the betting that after months of soul searching it will be announced by the CPS this morning at 9 oclock no action will be taken. It's pretty obvious that if he were to be nicked no explanation or press conference is need since it will all come out in court.

Last edited by kentdougal on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
kentdougal
kentdougal

Back to top Go down

Will Huhne get off? Empty Re: Will Huhne get off?

Post by Redflag Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 am

kentdougal wrote:What's the betting that after months of soul searching it will be announced by the CPS this morning at 9 oclock no action will be taken. It's pretty obvious that if he were to be nicked no explanation or press conference is need since it will all come out in court.It's equally obvious that the little weasel is as guilty as sin

I myself thought he would be charged to put the Lib/Dems in there place as a few of them have been voting against the Gov't, I can see Scam..er..on sidling up to Clegg and saying I saved him from that disgrace "NOW YOU OWE ME" Twisted Evil
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by kentdougal Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

Thank God I'm wrong
kentdougal
kentdougal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 am

Will Huhne get off? How do we know, we're not the judge and jury?

I smell a rat. Huhne is the only one of the Lib Dem poodles who has stood up to Cameron, and the neo-fascists who are now running the country won't put up with that, will they? So 'The Sunday Times' - a newspaper owned by Cameron's friend Murdoch - has dragged up this story from nine years ago, no doubt helped by a degree of "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

The timing of this is also very convenient for Cameron, as was the stripping of Goodwin's knighthood. It draws attention away from his failure to act over Hester's bonus, the outright opposition of GPs to Lansley's destruction of the NHS, and the disgusting Welfare Reform Bill which is going to hurt many of the poorest people in the country.

I'm no fan of Huhne or any other Liberal Democrat. But Laws wasn't prosecuted for misappropriating £40,000 of taxpayers' money for his boyfriend, and Huhne hasn't robbed us of anything because his ex-wife paid the speeding fine.

I wouldn't mind guessing that couples all over the country have pulled this stunt to avoid a driving ban for one of them. Personally, I'm more concerned that Tory lords such as Archer, Taylor and Hanningfield are still members of the upper house and entitled to vote for the removal of benefits from cancer patients and disabled children.

An employer cannot sack a worker just because he or she has been charged with an offence, a conviction is required. Innocent until proved guilty doesn't seem to apply in this case, just as it didn't with Peter Mandelson and the Hinduja brothers/passports allegations. Two separate enquiries later cleared Mandelson of any wrongdoing.
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 am

Almost certainly this is another example of "Distraction Politics" as the wily Tories scheme to destroy the NHS.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am

In April 2011, Huhne made a very public attack on the Tories for their dirty tricks in the AV referendum campaign. The following month this story emerged in the Murdoch press concerning something from way back in 2003. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The former Mrs Huhne must be an idiot if, just to get revenge, she has incriminated herself, since it could land them both with six months in the slammer if they're found guilty.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 pm

They Never Learn...

Will Huhne get off? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsRINrgXbYwWzzmrZGqbxuik2Kb2haj8Gm_k00dMECBNJ4NAELuA(dailymail.co.uk)

" Anyone fancy appearing in Court pretending to be me...?"
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

If Huhne is found not guilty, I'm sure a new post will be found for him. It will be "The Secretary of Energy and Driver Change"
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Come on Guys?????

You and I both know you lot would screaming conspiracy which ever way the decision went this morning. Read Kentdougals post at 8.30am today...and I quote 'It's obvious he's as guilty as sin'....So you can't have it both ways people.
I am starting to get a bit worried about some of my fellow posters... the Paranoia in everything you see and read is taking over you..It seems to be eating away all your common sense.
I will start therepy sessions for anyone who needs help and I can put you back on the 'right' path Smile

Last edited by blueturando on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Spot the Difference

Will Huhne get off? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDE1wMH5eGgbDY7lIrYcRNZbH2Pi2C8ZykHanHyu-8LYjSH2IPFg(fineartamerica.com)
Hewn out of rock

Will Huhne get off? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo-W6lQZDyMqGL8MuMxsZQiERkC6bK01XBSAEt6K5hLrk2m2xx(politicshome.com)
Huhne out of Jail ( at the moment...)
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Ivan wrote:In April 2011, Huhne made a very public attack on the Tories for their dirty tricks in the AV referendum campaign. The following month this story emerged in the Murdoch press concerning something from way back in 2003. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The former Mrs Huhne must be an idiot if, just to get revenge, she has incriminated herself, since it could land them both with six months in the slammer if they're found guilty.

There is nothing worse than a woman scorned. They also say, revenge is sweet.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what happens to Huhne or any other Liberal Democrats. I used to be polite to them if they knocked on my door, but in future they will get the same abuse as I used to reserve for Tories. I just find the timing of (a) the surfacing of these allegations last May, and (b) the announcement of the prosecution in a good week to bury bad news highly suspicious.

In this country we presume innocence until proven guilty. Being "quite obvious" doesn't constitute proof of anything, and should Huhne be found not guilty and libel charges start flying in this direction, I will be passing the buck to kentdougal and anyone else who repeats his unproven allegation.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Ivan wrote:Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what happens to Huhne or any other Liberal Democrats. I used to be polite to them if they knocked on my door, but in future they will get the same abuse as I used to reserve for Tories. I just find the timing of (a) the surfacing of these allegations last May, and (b) the announcement of the prosecution in a good week to bury bad news highly suspicious.

In this country we presume innocence until proven guilty. Being "quite obvious" doesn't constitute proof of anything, and should Huhne be found not guilty and libel charges start flying in this direction, I will be passing the buck to kentdougal and anyone else who repeats his unproven allegation.

You don't get smoke without a fire. John Terry has been sacked as England's football captain for racial abuse, of course he says he is innocent and is pleading not guilty at his trial. The trial is a few months away yet, so in this case, innocent till proven guilty does not seem to apply. Huhne is an adulterer and a cheat, to resign was the right thing to do, till he as proven that he didn't cheat, he is still an adulterer though, so in my eyes he is a cheat.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Boris Johnson is a serial adulterer, a habitual liar and a racist, and he's kept his job - at least until 3rd May. I expect that a good proportion of our MPs would be slung out if adultery was the criteria, but I take the view that infidelity should be the concern of a couple to sort out and nobody else.

As to John Terry, he's still in the team - unlike Huhne.

My concern here is that if people start asserting on a public forum that Huhne is guilty and the court decides otherwise, those members could end up in trouble. I did even wonder if I should remove this thread for the sake of expediency; we don't want another forum going belly up. Please choose your words judiciously.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Ivan, don't forget Doris is also a thief (allegedly) a fact he has never tried to clear up.

If Huhne was guilty of erotic driving things may providing a laugh (whoops erratic I meant to say!! Very Happy )
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by atv Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Ivan wrote: The former Mrs Huhne must be an idiot if, just to get revenge, she has incriminated herself, since it could land them both with six months in the slammer if they're found guilty.

This alleged offence happened in 2003, and has now been bought up as a result of a complaint by Labour MP Simon Danczuk. Why?
Chris Huhne has been more than a thorn in Cameron's side, and I can't help but wonder where the advantage is to Labour.
Is Danczuk working for the Tory's?

Also you are quite right about the former Mrs Huhne she surely must be an idiot, if found guilty and depending on her defence, she will serve at least 3 months in prison.
This has more than a whiff of politics.
atv
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by atv Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Ivan wrote: My concern here is that if people start asserting on a public forum that Huhne is guilty and the court decides otherwise, those members could end up in trouble. I did even wonder if I should remove this thread for the sake of expediency; we don't want another forum going belly up. Please choose your words judiciously.

Ivan is quite right,
I remember when Harriet Harman was going to be prosecuted for allegedly driving without due care and attention and driving while using a hand-held mobile phone, I remostrated at the time to certain posters that you are innocent until proven guilty.
Wait until the verdict, the last we want is a libel action against Cutting Edge.

atv
atv

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:45 pm

If Huhne is found not guilty, I'm sure a new post will be found for him. It will be "The Secretary of Energy and Driver Change"

Minister of Magic? He can obviously 'apparate'.
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 pm

The concerns for the sensitivity of making any suggestions that Huhne is guilty of anything are in stark contrast to the not infrequent and long-standing assertions on some threads that (eg) Blair is a 'war criminal'.

I don't recall too many Tory fans displaying caution on such topics while they were potentially libelling 'Tone'.

Funny old world...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:The concerns for the sensitivity of making any suggestions that Huhne is guilty of anything are in stark contrast to the not infrequent and long-standing assertions on some threads that (eg) Blair is a 'war criminal'.

I don't recall too many Tory fans displaying caution on such topics while they were potentially libelling 'Tone'.

Funny old world...

Indeed.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:36 pm

The Eastleigh constituency may sometimes be mentioned when there is any discussion of unlucky MPs.

"In 1994, forensic scientists investigated the "suspicious circumstances" of the death of Conservative MP for Eastleigh Stephen Milligan."
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Will Huhne get off? Empty No - he is in for custodial for sure

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:56 pm

kentdougal wrote:What's the betting that after months of soul searching it will be announced by the CPS this morning at 9 oclock no action will be taken. It's pretty obvious that if he were to be nicked no explanation or press conference is need since it will all come out in court.
The precedent is absolutely clear Shocked : he must be given a custodial sentence and will go to prison for a minimum of six months. In theory, you can get up to life for a crime perverting the course of justice, like the one he is now accused of - if it is proven. He remains innocent, technically, until proven guilty.

Let us await the outcome, but it looks very grim. Also, if you do not plead guilty when you are guilty (I don't say he IS guilty!), they throw the book at you and the stretch could be a long one - around 2-3 years minimum. Yikes! :affraid:

Last edited by AwfulTruth on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I am just sorry i am too old for jury service, some people have all the fun.

If found guilty, further punishment would be if he and his ex-wife shared a cell.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm

jackthelad wrote:I am just sorry i am too old for jury service, some people have all the fun.

If found guilty, further punishment would be if he and his ex-wife shared a cell.

Torture is banned under international law. You should know that Jack Very Happy
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm

trevorw2539 wrote:
jackthelad wrote:I am just sorry i am too old for jury service, some people have all the fun.

Torture is banned under international law. You should know that Jack Very Happy

That is true Trevor, some countries ignore the law. In this case, i think we could turn a blind eye, just a one off. Very Happy
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Herr Schadenfreude is alive and well, and living in Britain.

Maybe I'll just wait and see how the CPS manage to PROVE that an MEP and subsequent Minister of the Crown falsified a declaration delivered by post and returned by post.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astradt1 Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

As he has resigned from his Cabinet post he is now entitled to £17,000 payoff......

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/03/chris-huhne-resigns-payout-17-grand_n_1252054.html?ref=uk

I wonder if he will take it?
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 pm

If sensible, he'll apply for Legal Aid.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm

oftenwrong wrote:If sensible, he'll apply for Legal Aid.

he will need to get a move on for legal aid as that is something the Tories are doing away with, but then again Huhne has loads of money so more than likely he will be allowed to claim legal aid its just the poor that can not in case we want to sue one of the Tories companies that pour money into Tory party funds.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by AwfulTruth Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:50 am

Someone tell him NOT to pick up the soap in the shower!

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:45 am

blueturando wrote:Come on Guys?????

You and I both know you lot would screaming conspiracy which ever way the decision went this morning. Read Kentdougals post at 8.30am today...and I quote 'It's obvious he's as guilty as sin'....So you can't have it both ways people.
I am starting to get a bit worried about some of my fellow posters... the Paranoia in everything you see and read is taking over you..It seems to be eating away all your common sense.
I will start therepy sessions for anyone who needs help and I can put you back on the 'right' path Smile

Its nice of you too be worried about us Blue, if you think about it since he has been charged it came out that Scam..er..on and Osbourne thought he was pain in the butt because he went on about green energy and we all know that costs money and yet that is the job he was given maybe Scam..er..on and Osbourne thought he should just sit on his hands like the other Ministers do and spout a lot of hot air.

I bet your charges for therapy are Sky high or do you just mean you will put us through the Tory sausage machine so when we come out at the other end we will be spouting Tory Ideology and Dogma.

Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

The question is. would the DPP actually have someone in his position charged without evidence being avalable. The DPP know Khunt, Hunt, Huhne (third time lucky) is a multi millionaire and will have access to the best lawyers his tax free (alledgedly) cash will buy. I am quite certain he is Guilty (personal oppinion based on the inherent dishonesty of the rest of his party) as their isn't too many motoring offences you can get away with, He or his ex will be in camera shot somewhere, all they need to do is to follow his/her journey and get just one shot showing the driver. The likelyhood is, they will now have such evidence, if there is any?. I doubt the journey was down the back streets of Clapham, but in the more Salubrious area’s of London, where there are many more cctv camera’s, set up to protect the likes of Huhne.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 pm

bobby. The speeding offence occurred on the M11, after Huhne had flown in to Stansted Airport in 2003 when he was an MEP. I assume that his wife met him at the airport.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned how Christine Hamilton got away with a speeding charge because "she couldn't remember who was driving". She said it could have been her husband Neil, the sleazy Tory git who is famous for taking a bung in a brown envelope. I don't see why the case was thrown out. Somebody was speeding, and if they "couldn't remember" who then the registered owner of the vehicle should have been convicted. Perhaps freemasonry reared its ugly head?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202833/Christine-Hamilton-cleared-speeding.html

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Ivan wrote Somebody was speeding, and if they "couldn't remember" who then the registered owner of the vehicle should have been convicted. Perhaps freemasonry reared its ugly head?

Ivan, this has been a common get out from a speeding offence, and it’s a ploy used by many. The problem comes when nicking the registered keeper of a car, is that the car at the time of the offence may have been driven by his son or daughter even his wife if her name was Huhne. I personally would consider it totally unfair that I had to accept the penalty points and a fine over a matter I had absolutely no knowledge of, Why should I be penalised because of the inadequacy of the Law, just because I allowed another member of my Family use my car (which I do regularly) a couple of my Kids have had speeding offences in one of my cars but have also had the integrity to deal with it themselves.

Perhaps the answer may be that if anyone drives your car, a disclaimer should be signed making the borrower fully responsible.
As you say the offence was commited on the M11, but much of the journey would have been in built up area's and the likelyhood is they will be on film, maybe even getting in or out of the car, Lets face it Airports are probably the most filmed places in the country and Stanstead will be no exception.

Last edited by bobby on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 pm

bobby wrote:The question is. would the DPP actually have someone in his position charged without evidence being avalable. The DPP know Khunt, Hunt, Huhne (third time lucky) is a multi millionaire and will have access to the best lawyers his tax free (alledgedly) cash will buy. I am quite certain he is Guilty (personal oppinion based on the inherent dishonesty of the rest of his party) as their isn't too many motoring offences you can get away with, He or his ex will be in camera shot somewhere, all they need to do is to follow his/her journey and get just one shot showing the driver. The likelyhood is, they will now have such evidence, if there is any?. I doubt the journey was down the back streets of Clapham, but in the more Salubrious area’s of London, where there are many more cctv camera’s, set up to protect the likes of Huhne.

As has already been said the offence was late at night and on the M11. While I know there were (a while since I travelled it) some speed cameras I don't know of CCTV cameras until you get to London. I believe the main thrust of the evidence will be that Miss Pryce was in London at the time. And E.mails between the two.

There is no excuse for the offence but it is something which happens often. The police will tell you that it is not always possible to prove who was driving a vehicle. There are many people sitting at home now thinking 'what a plonker', not because he committed the offence, but because he got caught - and they didn't.

Incidentally, simply as a matter of interest. You are driving along at 80 mph. Ahead you see a speed camera and slow to the maximum allowed for that particular road until you have past the camera, and then speed up again. As a matter of justice you should be summoned and fined for exceeding the limit. Have you not 'perverted the course of Justice', or is it a matter of degree of seriousness.

Yes. I have had two speeding offences. The first in 1960 (£12 fine) and the 1997 (£40 + 3 points)
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Trev, The whole crux of the case as I see it is. Who was in the drivers seat. At the time the speeding offence was committed the Law had its body i.e the person that put their hand up, so no more evidence needed to be looked at, it was only after it was claimed that another offence had been committed that further evidence was needed, and my guess is, they (DPP) have such evidence. They would probably be on film in Stanstead Airport entering the car. As with all speeding charges, you don’t even have to appear in court, whereas the charge of, Perverting the Course of Justice, is a criminal matter and will be a trial by Jury, and I expect if there is such film it will be shown to the jury as prima facia evidence.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by kentdougal Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 pm

I would like to make it clear that I'm in favour of offenders being prosecuted no matter who they are if there is evidence to do so. Furthermore I believe that all the MP's and Peers of whatever party should have been prosecuted for fiddling their expenses and think it's disgraceful that so many of them got away with it
kentdougal
kentdougal

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Bobby. Don't disagree with your 'crux' of the case. Very much doubt that camera evidence exists - especially after the time lapse.
As I understand it, speeding is a criminal offence and some serious offences require appearance in court.
The CPS statement was interesting, intimating that new evidence comes from newspapers articles.
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Why shouldn't MPs and Peers of thr Realm, and Judges and police officers get charged with offences? It is they who dream up the offences, and the punishments deemed meet! (suitable)

Huhne is charged with "Perverting the course of Justice" a whole different meal ticket from speeding.

If in Nottingham, beware the "Traffic Averaging Speed Cameras, whereby your average speed between each camera is worked out. Too fast between cameras and ye are nabbed. On a road with 15 of these characters, you can say tara to your licence.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

bobby wrote:-
The likelihood is they will be on film, maybe even getting in or out of the car. Let's face it, airports are probably the most filmed places in the country and Stansted will be no exception.
If a camera showed Huhne driving the car at Stansted Airport, it isn’t proof that he was driving it on the M11. There is the possibility that passenger and driver changed places before passing the camera which clocked the car speeding. As trevor said, there isn’t likely to be much more camera evidence after all these years. However, if it can be proved that Mrs Huhne was in London at the time, then it’s game over for her ex-husband – and for her. The irony is that Huhne didn’t learn anything from the incident, as he was later caught speeding and lost his licence anyway!

Christine Hamilton escaped justice and then called it “a victory for motorists”, when it was just a victory for lawbreakers. We may have to beg to differ on this point, bobby. If you are the registered owner of a vehicle, you should be liable for what it does, unless it’s stolen or used without your consent. Your kids used your car and were caught speeding and took the rap themselves, which was right and proper. However, if you let someone use your vehicle, they commit an offence in it and don’t own up, you ought either to take the blame yourself or drop them in it. Why should a crime committed in your car, and detected, go unpunished, while other poor sods get clobbered for the same offence? The only reason the law is “inadequate”, as you put it, is because it doesn’t stipulate that the registered owner of a car is ultimately responsible for what it does on the road.

astra. I agree, perverting the course of justice is far more serious than a speeding offence. As Huhne is a millionaire who owns eight houses, when he lost his licence he could no doubt have afforded a chauffeur. Or he could have done what Boris Johnson likes to do and run up enormous taxi fares at the taxpayers’ expense.

They’ve had those traffic averaging speed cameras in France for many years. Another way they can catch you is if you travel too quickly between the toll booths on French motorways!
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next