Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sould falconry be outlawed?

5 posters

Go down

Sould falconry be outlawed? Empty Sould falconry be outlawed?

Post by polyglide Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm

In this day and age is it acceptable to have any blood sports?

Bear baiting has long since gone, so has hare coursing and restrictions put on hunting with dogs for any animal.etc;

The only remaining blood sport is falconry which is identical to hare coursing but using different animals.

Man has been a hunter since time began, it is in his blood, does taking this away from him prompt him to turn this aspect of his make up to other more unacceptable actions?.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Sould falconry be outlawed? Empty Re: Sould falconry be outlawed?

Post by oftenwrong Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm

After a centuries-old but informal existence in Britain, the sport of falconry was finally given formal legal status in Great Britain by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which allowed it to continue provided all captive raptors native to the UK were officially ringed and government-registered. DNA-testing was also available to verify birds' origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_(falconry)#Regulations_in_Great_Britain
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 pm

The fact that it was made lawfull does not answer the quesion.

When I was young all the lads had self made catapults and would, mostly unsussessfully, attempt to shoot anything that moved in the wild, they also collected birds eggs etc; but there was no shortage of either birds or anything else.

Today you have many young people with nothing better to do than form gangs and cause as much trouble as possible not to mention drugs etc;

My point is, has changing many laws had an adverse affect on the young.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by witchfinder Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 pm

I hjave an open mind on falconry

If a captive falcon was in the wild, it would surely do the very same thing that its been kept for - ie killing mice, rodents, small mamals and in the case of the larger falcons, perhaps rabbits.

There has to be a dividing line between what is acceptable and what is just plain cruel, but it has to be remembered that nature itself can be very cruel indeed.

I am opposed to fox hunting because its a cruel passtime that is absolutely not necessary, I am in favour of hunting and fishing because I am realistic.
If I want a pheasant for my dinner then I feel I have the right to go and get one, I also have the right to go and get myself a rabbit if I fancy a pie or stew.

Nature provides
witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Not too far away from the supermarket then witchy Very Happy

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Talking about Supermarkets, my Sister returned to the supermarket that is called the Cairngorms!

Apparently, the Red Deer are being shot by poachers (If I said 'being poached' some wag would have given me a big pot!! Very Happy )

I will not SAY the nationality being blamed for this action, but think of Cherry Blossom Shoe #####
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm

And I am aware that Mar Lodge and national trust for scotland have been having a cull on their land, but that is not where I am talking about!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Transport for London employ a Falconer to keep the various maintenance sheds free of pigeons that not only foul trains but make the platforms dangerously slippery.

Not a lot of people know that.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 am

They also have one flitting around Trafalgar Square to keep the pigeons on whats left of their rotten toes.

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum