Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?

+15
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Kazza
Bellatori
stuart torr
LWS
weltschmerz
bobby
dimsum
blueturando
jackthelad
Charlatan
oftenwrong
GreatNPowerfulOz
Shirina
Ivan
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?  - Page 3 Empty Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?

Post by Ivan Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Mark Twain described the Book of Mormon as "chloroform in print”. Could a Mormon, namely Mitt Romney, be elected President of the USA in 2012?

Mormons believe that their first prophet, Joseph Smith, discovered golden plates in upstate New York in the 1820s, and that he translated them with the help of magic stones, discovering them to contain an alternative Bible. They also believe that Jesus visited America after the crucifixion in order to take his message to the descendants of ancient Israelite tribes who had lived there for centuries, forgotten by history and unknown to modern archaeology. How has this strange offshoot of Christianity survived for nearly 200 years?

Nelson Jones offers us an explanation:-

“The religion's strength comes from its quintessentially American nature. It is almost the theological expression of America itself - as baseball is its sporting expression, or Coca Cola its liquid one. Its history, first of all, is the story of the frontier and of settlement. Just as the United States is a country of immigrants, many of whom came fleeing persecution in their own country, so the early Mormons were chased from town to ever remoter town until, under the leadership of Brigham Young, they established their own mini-America in Utah. In Salt Lake City, they recreated the ideals of the Pilgrim Fathers, establishing a new and godly community far from the corruption of the world. It was an achievement that called for all the great American virtues of self-reliance, ruggedness, family values, courage and fortitude.”

For the full article:-
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/star-spangled-staggers/2011/10/american-religion-mormonism

Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Kazza LUV i guessed it was you but wasn't sure, glad you are here though and been enjoying our chats, and no nego votes either brill isn't it

stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?  - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Mormonism a "cult", or just the great American religion?

Post by Kazza Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm

stu wrote:Hi Kazza LUV i guessed it was you but wasn't sure, glad you are here though and been enjoying our chats, and no nego votes either brill isn't it
Quite right, its brill.Smile  What a daft system that was.
Kazza
Kazza

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Wasn't it just as you did not know who it was even though you had a good idea.lol! 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Mark Twain described the Book of Mormon as "chloroform in print”. wrote:
I remember Clive James reviewing a biography of Brezhnev, and he stated:

"Here is a book so dull that if it were read aloud in the open birds would fall stunned from the sky." Very Happy 

I always laugh when I remember him saying that.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Sleep 
Sleep 
Sleep 

Sleep 
I gave up reading Sheldon mainly because I found to many books like that
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Just because we were falling asleep in the last few posts regarding the mormons, surely it should not stop you from posting replies my friends. surely we newcomers have not scared off all you theists out there to give us a good debate on any religion/topic of your religion. get those fingers going all those with interest in religion and lets talk ?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Remember, today is Sunday ... where do you think all the theists are? scratch 
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Out having a nice meal, pretending they have been to church.Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 pm

stu wrote:Out having a nice meal, pretending they have been to church.Laughing 
Let's hope it wasn't their last supper.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Not yet Heretic aint got a cross built.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

stu wrote:Not yet Heretic aint got a cross built.
Good response.

Goodnight, normal service resumed tomorrow.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:42 pm

NIGHT MATE
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:02 am

stu wrote:Just because we were falling asleep in the last few posts regarding the mormons, surely it should not stop you from posting replies my friends. surely we newcomers have not scared off all you theists out there to give us a good debate on any religion/topic of your religion. get those fingers going all those with interest in religion and lets talk ?
I just found this article about the apparent U-turn done by the Mormons on the subject of gay marriage Mormon U-turn it seems in terms of church doctrine (any church that is) to of been very rapid and it seemed to stem from the conflict caused by the churches support for a ban against gay marriage in California. I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, as it is 6:00am, but they certainly seem to of changed their attitude to gay people and at a lightning pace when compared to some others.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazza Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 am

Well, not quite changed, but shamed into changing their homophobic stance on gays - so long as they are non-practicing. According to the church, homosexuality is still a sin. The Mormon gay community have led a successful counter campaign against Prop. 8, with many members leaving the church. So having spent $millions on an aggressive anti gay marriage campaign, the church have been forced into an about face, to save face. That's my cynical view of it anyway.
Kazza
Kazza

Back to top Go down

Post by timeout Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 am

Kazza wrote:Well, not quite changed, but shamed into changing their homophobic stance on gays - so long as they are non-practicing. According to the church, homosexuality is still a sin. The Mormon gay community have led a successful counter campaign against Prop. 8, with many members leaving the church. So having spent $millions on an aggressive anti gay marriage campaign, the church have been forced into an about face, to save face. That's my cynical view of it anyway.

i think that many Christian groups have taken the position that it's the act of homosexuality that is the sin not the 'condition'. so as you say, if they are not having sex with another man they are not committing a sin. it's just a pathetic attempt for religion to get around the discrimination which they are being accused of. even worse is the belief held by some groups that it is culturally produced and can be reversed through treatment.

it's disgraceful!

timeout
timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm

In other words they can be gay but not have sex, damned stupid.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by timeout Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm

stu wrote:In other words they can be gay but not have sex, damned stupid.
well in all fairness if you're Christian then a life of celibacy is best but if you can't help yourself then you should get married in order to 'do it'. so in that respect those GAY men (i don't think it specifically refers to women, man lay with man thing) by abstaining from sex are more pure Christians than the Christians having sex!
timeout
timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Leviticus is meant to be taken literally, is it not. Presumably that means gay couples can do what they want as long as at least one of them is standing up. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out before.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Very literally,very true, no problems whatsoever Dan.thumbsup 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm Deplume Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Dan Fante wrote:Leviticus is meant to be taken literally, is it not. Presumably that means gay couples can do what they want as long as at least one of them is standing up. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out before.
Erect, you mean?
Norm Deplume
Norm Deplume

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Norm Deplume wrote:
Dan Fante wrote:Leviticus is meant to be taken literally, is it not. Presumably that means gay couples can do what they want as long as at least one of them is standing up. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out before.
Erect, you mean?
Wahey! Laughing 
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Well done Norm and Dan, haven't had so many laughs til I came on this site. Laughing Laughing Laughing 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

timeout wrote:
well in all fairness if you're Christian then a life of celibacy is best but if you can't help yourself then you should get married in order to 'do it'. so in that respect those GAY men (i don't think it specifically refers to women, man lay with man thing) by abstaining from sex are more pure Christians than the Christians having sex!
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi Heretic, by reading the quote that you posted, does that not mean that the world population will soon die out? no more nookie for mankind?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm

stu wrote:Hi Heretic, by reading the quote that you posted, does that not mean that the world population will soon die out? no more nookie for mankind?
Believe the bible if you wish. Sets a high hurdle for Christianity though unless it is dismissed like "Be ye perfect as your heavenly father is perfect"

It might mean fewer second generation christians.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Glad i'm an atheist Heretic.Wink 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:51 pm

stu wrote:Glad i'm an atheist Heretic.Wink 
They don't live up to it so why should anyone else take it seriously.Question 

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Very true
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by timeout Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Heretic wrote:
timeout wrote:
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Heretic
well of course the 'seed remaineth in him' means no spanking the monkey and still leaves the normal bodily problem of 'wet dreams' to deal with! why would god create man to have wet dreams if he wants him to keep his seed inside him?
timeout
timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 pm

timeout wrote:
Heretic wrote:
timeout wrote:

Heretic
well of course the 'seed remaineth  in him' means no spanking the monkey and still leaves the normal bodily problem of 'wet dreams' to deal with! why would god create man to have wet dreams if he wants him to keep his seed inside him?    
I think you will find that most churches try and read that verse as anything other what it quite plainly says.

Heretic
Heretic
Heretic
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by timeout Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Heretic wrote:
timeout wrote:
Heretic wrote:
timeout wrote:

Heretic
well of course the 'seed remaineth  in him' means no spanking the monkey and still leaves the normal bodily problem of 'wet dreams' to deal with! why would god create man to have wet dreams if he wants him to keep his seed inside him?    
I think you will find that most churches try and read that verse as anything other what it quite plainly says.

Heretic
well 2000 years gives a lot of time to practice interpreting what's written into whatever you want!

we won't even go into what is written being itself interpretation!

Last edited by timeout on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit)
timeout
timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm

After all that time practicing kiddo's, you would have thought your sons would have known which hand to use by now would you not. Wink 
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3