Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters

Go down

Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters Empty Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters

Post by siribarren Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Florida Senator Marco Rubio is not Senator Mel Martinez. After all, Rubio is the Tea Party darling that has been beating the anti-immigrant drum for several months now. On the other hand, Mel Martinez was a champion for pro-immigration policies and Latino-related issues. I am saying to the Latino brothers and sister: "Be aware". Just because Senator Rubio is Cuban, speaks Spanish and call himself Latino, neither this doesn't make it the vigilante on Hispanic issues.

Rubio's main Latino constituency in Florida are of Cuban descent, therefore we believe he doesn't understand, feel or hear the outcry experienced by Mexicans and other Latino groups who do not receive the privilege of automatic citizenship given to Puerto Ricans, or to Cuban immigrants.

The Trojan Horse trick comes from a mythological story about Greeks tricking the Trojans in the City of Troy to end a conflict. The Greeks needed to get into the Trojan community so they built a huge wooden horse and hid a Greek force of 30 men and spies inside of it. Later that night, the Greek army was able to enter and destroy the city of Troy, which eventually ended the war.

While the Trojan Horse may be a mere mythological story, in reality I see Rubio effectively being the trick that the Republican Party uses against Latinos. Rubio supported Arizona's harsh anti-immigrant law, he does not support the DREAM Act, in essence punishing children for the sins of their father, and now he fully supports Texas Republican Congressman Lamar Smith's national e-verify program. The United States has been pushing enforcement-only policies for over a decade now, and it has met all operational goals of the Bush Fence Act of 2006, which is why we believe it is time to seek a comprehensive legal immigration reform.

Lurking near the top of the list of running mates for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. My biggest fear is for Hispanics to bite the hook of Rubio's quasi fake latino background to entice Latino voters to believe he is one of us. Rubio is not only the GOP Troyan Horse, he is also the Tea Party darling on the Kock Brothers Payroll.

As Rubio abandons Hispanic families, he should ask himself: "What the hell is a Senate seat for?" Senator Rubio doesn't seem to know. He has drinken the Kool-Aid of the extreme Right and his moves paints a vivid picture of the unbridled ambition of an individual who plays on the politics of resentment and fear.

Susana Iribarren
Activist and Writer for Democracy
follow in Twitter: @siribarr
Anonymous
siribarren

Back to top Go down

Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters Empty Feedback

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm

The Cubanos who inhabit Miami are an exclusive brethren. Their political focus is on La Havana, and their only link with other Hispanic Americans is in their common language.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters Empty Re: Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters

Post by siribarren Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Oftenwrong: I agree with your comment and although Cubans feel like an "exclusive brethren" they also have political power. They have learned to organized themselves, to get elected for Congress, City Mayors, and Senators to use the power of voting.

Today, Univision announced that more than 4 million Latinos although are US citizens have not registered to vote and even if many register to vote, they don't exercise that right when it comes general election, much less in local elections. I am devoting the rest of my free time to register voters, but even that has been criminalized by the “civil war reenactor” FL Governor Rick Scott.
Anonymous
siribarren

Back to top Go down

Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters Empty Re: Marco Rubio: The Troyan Horse for Hispanic voters

Post by oftenwrong Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 am

This is an echo of the struggle to enfranchise coloured voters forty years ago. Can anything be learned from that?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down