Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg

5 posters

Go down

"No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg Empty "No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg

Post by astradt1 Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:21 pm

If as the quote from New York Mayor Bloomberg: "No right is absolute." is right, where does that leave the US Constitution?

Will any of the Right Wing groups be making a legal challenge in support of COTUS and its 'god given' rights such as the right to protests like #OWS and others or will they quietly accept that ownership of guns is nolonger a 'absolute right' ?
astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

"No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg Empty Re: "No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg

Post by astra Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

This should prove VERY interesting, the late Charlton Heston (Giving Mrs A resus) no longer president of the NRA, but the new incumbant has plenty to play with here!!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

"No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg Empty Re: "No right is absolute" says Mayor Bloomberg

Post by oftenwrong Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

The New York Daily News reports that the National Lawyers Guild filed a restraining order against the city on behalf of Occupy Wall Street Tuesday morning and a judge has issued a court order saying the city cannot prevent "protesters from re-entering the park with tents."

Currently the NYPD has Zuccotti Park blocked off to the public.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/bloomberg-on-occupy-wall-_n_1094708.html?ref=new-york
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Well, Bloomberg does have a point, rights are not absolute even if we think they are. Freedom of expression does not grant one the right to break laws in pursuit of that expression. It would hardly be fitting for a serial killer to hide behind the 1st Amendment by claiming murdering is his way of expressing himself. As much as I support OWS and believe in their cause, the laws against camping in city parks is very true, and I'm surprised that the city allowed it to go on for as long as it has. I believe that OWS will have to resort to more traditional forms of protest rather than an actual, physical, occupation. I do think some of Bloomberg's reasons are a bit contrived, such as the camp being a "fire and safety hazard," but the law is the law. In so much as the Constitution is concerned, we as Americans must ensure that the laws being passed are not trying to deliberately circumvent the Constitution.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 pm

United States Constitution, Preamble:

I the Person of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure my Tranquility, provide for my defence, promote my Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to myself and my homeys, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of Me.

At least that’s what some people think.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm

United States Constitution, Preamble:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of Me.

The real thing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthelad Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm

When people first settled in America, there were no laws where they could pitch their tent. They probably upset the native Americans though, lets face it, all people that was not native Americans were squatters, so what has changed, squatters rights been revoked.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum