Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should motor racing be banned?

+6
the sap
oftenwrong
GreatNPowerfulOz
astra
jackthelad
Ivan
10 posters

Go down

Should motor racing be banned? Empty Should motor racing be banned?

Post by Ivan Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Should motor racing be banned? IndyCar_AP111016041621_620x350
(Source - cbsnews.com)

Not a scene from 'The Terminator' but the Las Vegas Indy 300 race on 16 October 2011. Amazingly, only one person died, British driver Dan Wheldon.

Do we really need this sort of thing? Cars travelling at up to 225mph and often only inches apart? The world's resources being wasted? Speed being glamorised?

Is it time to ban motor racing, or is there so much money to be made out of it that human lives don't matter?
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Should motor racing be banned? Empty Re: Should motor racing be banned?

Post by jackthelad Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Lives are lost every day on the roads, most not caused by speeding, it was 5 years since they had a death on that track. Two many cars on the track, that was the problem, just like two many horses in the Grand National. One minor slip up can cause a catastrophy, remember when Foinavon won the Grand National. Thankfully these things don't happen too regularly, and as far as world resources being wasted, i think more fuel is spent sending a rockets into space, the racing is entertaining for some. Me, i couldn't give a toss if it was banned or not.
jackthelad
jackthelad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:09 pm

"Lives are lost every day on the roads, most not caused by speeding"
Speeding
Around 430 people a year are killed in crashes in which someone exceeds the speed limit or drives too fast for the conditions.
Drink Driving
Around 250 people die a year in crashes in which someone was over the legal drink drive limit.
Seat Belt Wearing
Around 300 lives each year could be saved if everyone always wore their seat belt.
Careless Driving
More than 300 deaths a year involve someone being "careless, reckless or in a hurry", and a further 125 involve "aggressive driving".
At Work
Around one third of fatal and serious road crashes involve someone who was at work.
Inexperience
More than 430 people are killed in crashes involving young car drivers aged 17 to 24 years, every year, including over 150 young drivers, 90 passengers and more than 180 other road users.
Failed To Look Properly
40% of road crashes involve someone who ‘failed to look properly’.
Loss Of Control
One third of fatal crashes involved ‘loss of control’ of a vehicle.
Failed To Judge Other Person’s Path/Speed
One in five crashes involve a road user failing to judge another person’s path or speed.

http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail.aspx?faq=298

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:22 pm

"Former IndyCar and Formula One driver Mark Blundell says the death of British driver Dan Wheldon was inevitable given safety arrangements at the Las Vegas Indy 300 race."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/indycar/8831348/Dan-Wheldons-death-was-disaster-waiting-to-happen-says-former-IndyCar-driver-Mark-Blundell.html

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Ivan, these racers know exactly what they are in for when things go t1ts up! It's not like the horse racing or the dog racing, these drivers volunteer for the dangers and take them as part of the course. (The horses and dogs are NOT volunteers, but have to face the dangers anyway!)

I am sad to hear of a death, there are those of course who enjoy the crashes - the more serious the better, and those gouls will be everywhere. I met them 40 years ago at Knockhill, and THEY almost ended up in hospital! (My friends and I would have been in pokey for that one, but a tulsey was avoided)

Last edited by astra on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatNPowerfulOz Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm

One person dies and you want to ban an entire industry? Sounds more than a bit extreme.

If you don't like auto racing...don't watch auto races. Auto racing, without question, leads to improvements in safety and functionality of consumer autos. What's next...banning movies because a stunt person died?

One has to admire Mr Wheldon. Not merely being content with being known as a Brit with a huge, toothy smile...he became a world champion in a sport demanding skills and nerve unimaginable to the average person.

He went out "on his feet" as it were...not on his knees.
GreatNPowerfulOz
GreatNPowerfulOz
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Why else do so many people pay for tickets to watch?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by NIN Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Dan wheldon (a true british winner) died doing the thing he loved most...a luxury not afforded to many of us, and although a tragedy not a reason to ban an entire sport,and also as mentioned above motor racing has made the average family car more safe than if it didnt exist, motor racing is a dangerous sport and that danger makes it far more exciting than any world cup final,,,,but isnt life itself dangerous?,,i bet more people die every year from taking paracetemol than they do in motor racing,,,so no lets not ban motorsport lets ban spoil sports instead.
Anonymous
NIN

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:58 am

You can not compare American Indy car or nascar racing with what the rest of the world does. Formula 1 is possibly the safest form of motor racing going, it is governed by the FIA. Throuout the history of Formula 1, the safety guidelines have been changed regularly, most noticeable to us who remember the Ayrton Senna crash in Italy. There used to be high curved banks, with the then obligotory concrete wall, which in its time have taken the life of many drivers. The rest of the world have moved on to remove as much of the fatalities as possible, whilst still allowing this sport to continue.
The Americans however have not moved on, and race predominantly on oval tracks, complete with their dangerouse High Banking and Concrete walls. A Banked track allows a car to take a bend without haveing to slow down too much, so you end up with loads of very fast cars flying round in what seems to be, ever decreasing circles at very close proximity to the other cars. It is i'm afraid an American trait. If they can not take part in a world sport, and become the World Champions, they simply develop their own versions, examples are, Indy car racing itself, American Football, like Rugby, but dressed like King Arthur, Baseball, like UK rounders (womens game), then call their home grown game THE WORLD SERIES.
Look at other sports like tennis, if they can not dominate (which they often do), they simply give whoever is the best in the world at the time, give them American citizenship, and hey presto we end up with another American Champion, Ratnatilova was a good example of this.
They have made a couple of forays into Formula 1, but never with much success. They are afraid to take part in a sport they can not dominate so start their own watered down versions where of course Americans will prevail, if not the driver, but certainly the team.
There has been several good foreign Indy car drivers, but are in the norm drivers who are no longer up to F1 or have never been good enough. Second rate drivers on Third rate tracks can only end in desaster.
Anonymous
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I read somewhere that Wheldon started at the back, and if he finished first he would pick up a vast paypacket.

There are very few sports left in this world - most are big money businesses, with us schmucks paying over the top to be "entertained"

The only SPORT as yet untouched that I can find is SHINTY - even Hurling in Eire is taking of in financial directions.

Is the quest for more and more cash the ruin of sport.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

If you ask sufficient numbers, you can probably find someone who is opposed to Motherhood and Apple Pie.

There is no shortage of people who disapprove of other people enjoying themselves.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

ER OK

Bring back the Gladiators (Roman Style, ) and Bear Bating.
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by the sap Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Should motor racing be banned?? If people like it, and it can support itself, no....although I have absolutely no interest in it.
the sap
the sap

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Totally agree with this answer, over past few years have gotten seriously into F1 and love it, don't think the sport itself should be banned but those that don't pay enough heed or respect to the possible danger. Case in point Pastor Maldonado, they should remove his car and have him dressed in cloak and scythe to go round the track at least he would look like how he behaves.
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 pm

F1 racing drivers are trained to win. Expecting them to behave like Knights of the Holy Grail is slightly unrealistic.

Imagine shy retiring Premier footballers.

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 am

oftenwrong wrote:F1 racing drivers are trained to win. Expecting them to behave like Knights of the Holy Grail is slightly unrealistic.

Imagine shy retiring Premier footballers.

Not expecting them to behave like Knights, but a particular respect for the others out on the Grid would be a appreciated. The aforementioned Maldonaldo may be trained to win, however the ethics and approach he takes is win at any cost regardless of the cost on any of the other men out on the grid. He has received countless penalties last season, and thanks to his false start during the race at Spa Belgium the crash which proceeded during the first lap could be questionable held partially accountable for. When footballers behave badly, generally its them screwing around with their brothers wives or someone else they shouldn't be, the fallout from the behaviour may have far reaching consequences but I doubt it could result in varying levels of paralysis or death.
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 am

"Maldonaldo may be trained to win, however the ethics and approach he takes is win at any cost regardless of the cost on any of the other men out on the grid. He ... received countless penalties last season."

There are Rules, and Maldonado DID indeed receive penalties. You can't expect to win a Championship if you keep getting penalties, so the only remaining question concerns the steepness of that learning curve.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm

oftenwrong wrote: the only remaining question concerns the steepness of that learning curve.

Not sure if this has already happened as there has been very little coverage in the media , but the teams should be faced with huge financial penalties from the FIA , when Drivers consistently flaunt or totally disregard the rules. The pile up at Spa last season was horrific to watch and I can only guess at to what Alonso's family were thinking and going through in the seconds after, yet Grosjean only got a 1 race ban and Maldonaldo got a 10 place grid penalty??? They should have been banned for the rest of the Season, instead of the slap on the wrist.

Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:32 pm

F1 Race Stewards have access to far more, and more detailed, evidence than Joe Public will typically get from watching TV. The material they can call upon comes from camera recordings not limited to what was shown on screen, and from Marshalls around the track, as well as team telemetry where appropriate.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 pm

The National Hockey League couldn’t seem to stop “high sticking” among its players. Then the cops in one NHL city, I believe Vancouver, British Columbia, arrested an NHL “high sticker” for assault with a deadly weapon. I believe at least one other NHL city’s police department caught on and arrested a player. Funny thing happened soon thereafter; the NHL, realizing that if all NHL city’s cops got in the act, very soon there wouldn’t have been enough players out of jail to have a hockey league, so league officials and owner got busy and all but eliminated high sticking from the game.

Outside pressure might also get F1 officials’ attention.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Nightshade Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 am

oftenwrong wrote:F1 Race Stewards have access to far more, and more detailed, evidence than Joe Public will typically get from watching TV. The material they can call upon comes from camera recordings not limited to what was shown on screen, and from Marshalls around the track, as well as team telemetry where appropriate.

It's a given that officials trackside would have access to more information than the tv audience, and it would be based on what they have found out that determines what happens when a driver breaks the rules. My issue still remains the same that punishment for drivers/teams is no where near severe enough, as if it were, it would act as a clear deterrent for future races.

RockOnBrother wrote:
Outside pressure might also get F1 officials’ attention.

It may prove to be the deterrent needed to get them to take this seriously
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

One man has shaped F1 Motor Racing for the past twenty years or more. When Bernie hangs up his fireproof overalls for the last time, that will probably have the effect presumably desired by the poser of the question heading this discussion.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Mrs Ecclestone Speaks Out...

Should motor racing be banned? 316C1F8DCDE0F8A45A52B4AACD59F0(msn)

" Look, Bernie, I'm not sure how I'm going to get - how shall we put it? - 'on pole'..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Obviously it could never have worked ....

Should motor racing be banned? Th?&id=HN.608047118743308850&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1

(Mr & Mrs Ecclestone with their baby girls)
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Ah - a selection of t*ts in the Pits...

(Alright, I know - I'm banned...)    Embarassed
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Off-topic, off-colour - what's not to like?   Very Happy
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Wed May 28, 2014 4:31 pm

No is the aswer to this question.. on a economic view point we in the UK make millions from this sport and cars are safer today because of it too.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Thu May 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Mr Ecclestone to Mrs Ecclestone, " when we are nose to nose, my toe is in it, when we are toe to toe, my nose is in it, and when I am in it I have no one to talk to"
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

"...when I am in it I have no one to talk to"

Very Happy 

Or possibly finds that he is suddenly deaf...?
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu May 29, 2014 10:45 pm

All in the best possible taste ....

Should motor racing be banned? Evererett
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Can F1 motor racing survive without drastic change?

"Lewis Hamilton unhappy about three-engine rule in Formula 1"

Even as a British motor-racing driver wins the Championship, new proposals call for a sea-change in the way Formula 1 operates.  The sheer expense is eye-watering, a median £1million a team for each of the seventeen race meetings this season.  Motor Manufacturers can see the point when additional car-sales follow a winning season, but the less successful teams - essential for competition to have any meaning - struggle to continue racing.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/it-sucks-lewis-hamilton-unhappy-about-three-engine-rule-in-formula-1/ar-BBEVEjQ?li=BBoPWjP&ocid=ientp
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Should motor racing be banned? Empty Mercedes F1 team needs 'disruption' in 2018

Post by oftenwrong Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Mercedes Formula 1 team boss Toto Wolff believes his team needs "disruption" between Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas in order to perform at the highest level.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorsports/mercedes-f1-team-needs-disruption-in-2018-toto-wolff/ar-BBGz5GE?li=BBoPWjP&ocid=iehp

Hang on! Aren't we going to have a referendum first?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:11 pm

"Ferrari could lead other Formula One teams into an alternative championship if the sport becomes too much like the U.S.-based NASCAR series but hope it does not come to that, chairman Sergio Marchionne has said."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorsports/ferrari-could-lead-others-out-of-f1-warns-marchionne/ar-BBH0S27?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

Signor Marchionne of course has motor-cars to sell, that's his job, in a climate where gas-guzzling is becoming Public Enemy Number One. There is already a "Formula E" for racing cars propelled by electricity.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down