Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today

+3
oftenwrong
snowyflake
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today - Page 3 Empty Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:31 am

First topic message reminder :

I am currently reading The Portable  Atheist, and a chapter outlining the massive crimes committed in the pretence of witch hunting.  Truly appalling crimes that rival modern genocides. Perhaps we can examine this and other such crimes in close detail but only if the belief that caused them still exists.

Last edited by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today - Page 3 Empty Re: Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Anyway it's bed for me for now, work at 6 tomorrow unfortunately.

Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today - Page 3 Empty Re: Crimes committed in the name of religious beliefs still held today

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 am

Dr, Sheldon,
Trust you had a good nights sleep.

I was watching a programme on Darwin's theories last night and had a few giggles.

He thinks natural selection is the answer when just a slight consideration of the facts point to unatural selection.

If you placed all the life on earth in the place intended, animal and vegitable, then all would produce their like.

It is only when circumstances change that you have various hybrids etc;

This is obvious and undeniable but is so obvious that it should have taken about ten minutes to comprehend and not years.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:52 am

I have missed the perishing n out again.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:18 pm

polyglide wrote:Dr, Sheldon,
                 Trust you had a good nights sleep.          

I was watching a programme on Darwin's theories last night and had a few giggles.

He thinks natural selection is the answer when just a slight consideration of the facts point to unatural selection.

If you placed all the life on earth in the place intended, animal and vegitable, then all would produce their like.

It is only when circumstances change that you have various hybrids etc;

This is obvious and undeniable but is so obvious that it should have taken about ten minutes to comprehend and not years.

I'm not surprised that the only response a serious scientific programme produced from you was giggles. I am surprised you're keeping these astonishing paradigm shifting findings to yourself. Why haven't you submitted them for peer review and then publish them? Get your Nobel prize, be the first to refute evolution and have the gratitude of the entire theistic world. The creationist lobby in the USA pours billions into trying promote these superstitions, you could at least let them now that you have succeeded where they have failed.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 pm

polyglide wrote:I have missed the perishing n out again.

Not to worry, a fairly insignificant mistake compared to the absurdity of the claims in your post. I'm not sure about Darwin but you can certainly produce laughs aplenty.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:16 am

DR, Sheldon,
At last, you admit you are not sure about Darwin

A slight light at the end of a long tunnel.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:30 pm

I think alongside homosexuality you should leave evolution out of your discussions since your understanding of science in general and evolution in particular is woefully ignorant and uninformed.

Don't talk about things you know nothing about. It just highlights stupidity and ignorance and trust me we don't need any more evidence.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:47 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,
                 At last, you admit you are not sure about Darwin

A slight light at the end of a long tunnel.

I see we can add certain and sure to the growing list of words you simply aren't capable of understanding.

I'm as sure that creationism is a fiction as I am that mermaids and unicornsare , and for precisely the same reason.

I'm as sure evolution is true as I am that gravity and calculus are true, and for the same reason.

I'm not 100% certain about any of it because I'm not so egotistical or stupid as to make such an epistemologically erroneous claim.

But feel free to continue showing your expert skills in debating. Dear oh dear polyglide try a little less posturing and a little more epistemological humility and you may learn something.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:00 am

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon, At last, you admit you are not sure about Darwin A slight light at the end of a long tunnel.

I see you have rolled past another question without even attempting to answer it.

Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:I am surprised you're keeping these astonishing paradigm shifting findings to yourself. Why haven't you submitted them for peer review and then publish them? Get your Nobel prize, be the first to refute evolution and have the gratitude of the entire theistic world. The creationist lobby in the USA pours billions into trying promote these superstitions, you could at least let them now that you have succeeded where they have failed.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

DR, Sheldon,
The World Watch Institute.

Three times as many people fell victim to war in the[2oth] century as in all the wars from the first century AD to 1899.

This puts matters into perspective regarding the behaviour of humans and the fact that they are going backwards instead of forwards.

You obviously have a block of some kind that makes it impossible for you to grasp reality as apposed to your interpretations.

There are conflicts throughout the world today that are religion based.

There is only one true religion as far as I am concerned and the majority of the false ones have been created for purposes other than for the benifit of mankind.

Mankind has learned nothing from the past as far as war and it's futility is concerned and the present state the world finds itself in is proof.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Norm Deplume Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:09 pm

polyglide wrote:
                 The World Watch Institute.

Three times as many people fell victim to war in the[2oth] century as in all the wars from the first century AD to 1899.

This puts matters into perspective regarding the behaviour  of humans and the fact that they are going backwards instead of forwards.

This may well be correct based on raw numbers, but other factors must be taken into account, principally demographics and technology.

The world population did not reach one billion until the 19th century. During the 20th century it increased from under two billion to over six billion. One of the reasons for increased death rates in warfare was simply that there were more people around to be killed.

Advances in weapons and transport technology has increased the ability to achieve contact with an enemy and attack effectively. Spears and clubs are no match for machine guns (“Whatever happens, we have got/ The Maxim gun, and they have not.”) The disparity in inflicting damage between even the best swordsman and an average infantryman armed with a Kalashnikov is several orders of magnitude.

One of the reasons why the population is increasing so quickly despite wars is that people are living longer - some estimates place the life expectancy of prehistoric humans as around 10 (something like 40% failed to survive even one year). Life for most humans for most of our history was 'solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short'. I would not relish a return to those conditions, but then I think our behaviour towards each other is improving.
Norm Deplume
Norm Deplume

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 pm

polyglide wrote:DR, Sheldon,  You obviously have a block of some kind that makes it impossible for you to grasp reality as apposed to your interpretations.

That's rich considering you've again completely ignored the content of my post. You made an outrageously false claim that there was scientific evidence to refute evolution, and I challenged you to produce it. It appears you have no answer though, hence the irrelevant guff you just posted to try and avoid answering those questions as you know what your inability to honestly answer them means. As of course does everyone else who's read these exchanges. Care to try again and this time give an honest salient response?

Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:"I am surprised you're keeping these astonishing paradigm shifting findings to yourself. Why haven't you submitted them for peer review and then publish them? Get your Nobel prize, be the first to refute evolution and have the gratitude of the entire theistic world. The creationist lobby in the USA pours billions into trying promote these superstitions, you could at least let them now that you have succeeded where they have failed.

Though we've strayed off topic again, as this thread is about the many crimes committed by religion.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3