Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones

+2
Blamhappy
AwfulTruth
6 posters

Go down

'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones Empty 'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Source

Yes, we have proof of life on other planets. The proof is based on irrefutable scientific evidence garnered by observing the presence of colder planets in the 'goldilocks' zone around the trillions of other stars here there and everywhere.

The probability of life on an alien planet is a certainty based on causal effects and the random provision of required elements, conditions and the prerequisite of water.

I think this is very interesting... geek

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

http://www.rhodesgreece.webs.com

Back to top Go down

'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones Empty Re: 'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones

Post by Blamhappy Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Surely that's not proof of life? It's proof of the possibility...?
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones Empty Re: 'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

When you know that there are billions of other galaxies and that the universe is much larger than anticipated with trillions of planets, you can be certain life, in some form, will occur - albeit not at all the same time.

The problem of distance makes life on other planets pretty academic anyway, unless we find a Martian life-form.

It's really the goldilocks factor that makes a planet life-worthy.

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 pm

It all depends on what you're willing to accept as proof. For some, the only proof they will accept is for an alien life form to arrive on earth and make a global televised broadcast complete with DNA samples and pictures from their home planet. For others, the statistical probability is enough proof to satisfy them. Remember that 90% of the world's population have placed their immortal soul into the hands of an entity whose existence offers no proof of any type.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Ah yes, Statistical Probability.
As another poster has recorded elsewhere, "Evidently 20% of all families are Chinese. I don't know which one it is in our family, there's Mum and Dad then Charlie, myself and Ying Tang Ho."

(Apologies for terrible memory)
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

“‘Super-Earths’ are rocky planets -- as opposed to gassy giants -- that orbit their stars in the so-called Goldilocks zone, where the temperature is neither too hot nor too cold but just right to have the potential to nurture life” (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tens-billions-planets-habitable-zones-114036219.html).

Speculation, not proof.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Shirina wrote:

It all depends on what you're willing to accept as proof.

I’ll accept proof as proof.

Shirina wrote:
For some, the only proof they will accept is for an alien life form to arrive on earth and make a global televised broadcast complete with DNA samples and pictures from their home planet.

That’s proof. I would accept that as proof.

Shirina wrote:
For others, the statistical probability is enough proof to satisfy them.

Statistical probability is exactly what its name indicates, statistical probability. I’ll not accept statistical probability as proof, because it’s not proof.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:24 pm

AwfulTruth wrote:
It's really the goldilocks factor that makes a planet life-worthy.

The goldilocks factor doesn’t make a planet “life-anything.”

We know of one planet, and only one planet, of which humans have proof that life exists thereon. We know that this one planet is a certain “thermal distance” from its star, Sol, which causes temperatures in most of its regions to hover within a certain range. We know that an atmosphere with a certain mix surrounds this planet. We know that a certain miniscule amount of water (0.10% of its mass, if memory serves, although I might be off by a factor of 10) exists on this planet.

These are but three factors that humans know must be “just right” in order for life to continue its existence hereon (if you haven’t figured it out yet, that one planet is the one we inhabit). Also, these factors being “just right” do not create life on our planet; they only allow pre-existent life to continue its existence on our planet.

There remains far too much that we don’t know to assume that discovery of a rock orbiting another star at certain radius proves that life exists thereon.
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, I'm convinced. All we need to do is identify another planet where the temperature is between 10°C and 30°C, has an atmosphere of Nitrogen and Oxygen, is two-thirds water but no more than that, and with a Sun that radiates on a narrow spectrum between Red and Violet. (Though not all the time, please - a body needs some sleep.)

Should be a cinch.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 pm

I am not saying we have discovered an identified planet with life.

I would like to take this issue away from the religious dogma that says that there is ONLY the earth that has life because God said so?

The likelihood of life on another planet is absolutely plausible and indeed it would be folly (unless you have religious convictions on this serious matter), to deny that possibility of the occurrence of organic life forms elsewhere.

In the old days people denied the existence of other lands and thought you might sail off the edge of the world and into whatever hell you could imagine. But we have moved on from such dogma because this theory was disproved.

Galileo was castigated for espousing that the world was round and that the sun was the centre of our solar system and NOT the religious-based fallacy that the earth was the centre of the solar system.

We have also proved conclusively that the world is very old and that once upon a time the dinosaurs ruled the planet.

Likewise, I am totally confident that before long we will find oxygen and water rich planets in the goldilocks zone, of a similar size to earth, with volcanic tectonic dynamics that could well harbour life.

The only problem is that there won't be any number 9 buses with turbo-charged warp engines going that way. Sadly.

BUT, and its is going to be the big BUT, the problem with time and space is that all bodies and matter are physically so far from other bits of matter and stuff, that actually travelling to another solar system, let alone another galaxy, are just about zero.

So, we can only postulate, either way. For me, I am certain their must be some kind of life - even if it's a tiny organism with no legs which farts acid.
Arrow

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 pm

even if it's a tiny organism with no legs which farts acid.

Mrs. A. has just likened Moi, ME to that statement!!

Where on earth did she get that idea.

(Just because I told her the Bromide she puts in mt tea is starting to work!)
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm agnostic, but any religious beliefs I have make no bearing on whether I believe in life on other planets. It's a scientific fact that there might be.

I'm not coming from a subjective viewpoint whatsoever. I believe in the probability of life elsewhere. I'm just saying that I'm not sure that the first post is correct in saying that there's proof. As another poster said, proof is proof...

I'd love it if there WERE proof though, and I don't necessarily have to see that proof to believe it.
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Blamhappy wrote:I'm agnostic, but any religious beliefs I have make no bearing on whether I believe in life on other planets. It's a scientific fact that there might be.

I'm not coming from a subjective viewpoint whatsoever. I believe in the probability of life elsewhere. I'm just saying that I'm not sure that the first post is correct in saying that there's proof. As another poster said, proof is proof...

I'd love it if there WERE proof though, and I don't necessarily have to see that proof to believe it.

That's fine, really, I wasn't directly addressing you but being more scatter-gun.

The question is: did we come from another planet? I sometimes think I came from the planet Zarg but that's another story! :farao:

By the way, do you believe in ghosts?

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by AwfulTruth Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm

astra wrote:
even if it's a tiny organism with no legs which farts acid.

Mrs. A. has just likened Moi, ME to that statement!!

Where on earth did she get that idea.

(Just because I told her the Bromide she puts in mt tea is starting to work!)

lol!

AwfulTruth
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Blamhappy Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 pm

AwfulTruth wrote:
Blamhappy wrote:I'm agnostic, but any religious beliefs I have make no bearing on whether I believe in life on other planets. It's a scientific fact that there might be.

That's fine, really, I wasn't directly addressing you but being more scatter-gun.

The question is: did we come from another planet? I sometimes think I came from the planet Zarg but that's another story! :farao:

By the way, do you believe in ghosts?

Heehee! I suppose we could have done, but isn't it just as likely that we originated here?

No, I don't believe in ghosts in the slightest. I've never seen any evidence. (I don't consider anecdotes evidence.)
Blamhappy
Blamhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Why do we always assume that life only exists in carbon based form. Is it because we are. How do we know that there aren't other forms of existence.

We have our senses but there are things which are invisible to us by all our senses, until we use devices to see them.

Perhaps there are things we will never see, or develop senses to see them

There are cases of people 'seeing' someone, only to find out that they have been dead a while. A case that came to my attention years ago, and still occurs, is a road fairly near my birthplace in Kent where the same figure is regularly seen by motorists, but who 'disappears' when approached. Can some people see beyond the normal? And it's not down to booze.

This case is not unusual, and from round the world. I don't have the answer.

A couple of years ago I was sitting practising a piece of music on the church organ. I became aware of someone standing just behind me. When I looked round there was no-one there, but the sense of my mothers presence was very real. She too, was an organist, and died about six years ago. Imagination? If it was it was very real, and I was concentrating on the music. Ignoring religion, is there a world out there we cannot see. 'Ghosts', 'spirits' or forms of life the science we have cannot 'see'.

I had friends who lived in a house in which doors would open and shut, and other strange things happen. They got used to it.

I am sure that there are beings out there in the Universe. What they are, what they look like, whether they need oxygen to breath, water to survive, who knows.

I don't have the answer, but I have experienced so many strange things in my life my mind is open.

But then, what do I know.

Last edited by trevorw2539 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:50 pm

"It's a scientific fact that there might be."

I wish I could be that certain about things.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by ROB Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 pm

AwfulTruth wrote:
I am not saying we have discovered an identified planet with life.

You posted this:

AwfulTruth wrote:
Yes, we have proof of life on other planets.

The sentence “Yes, we have proof of life on other planets” means what it says. You posted this sentence without refutation of its veracity.

AwfulTruth wrote:
I would like to take this issue away from the religious dogma that says that there is ONLY the earth that has life because God said so?

Inserting “religious dogma” into the “Find:” search box of Internet Explorer’s “Find on this Page” function (from the “Edit” pull down menu) yields “1 match”, as exhibited below:

AwfulTruth wrote:
Re: 'Tens of billions' of planets in habitable zones
by AwfulTruth Today at 19:30

Continuing…

AwfulTruth wrote:
Likewise, I am totally confident that before long we will find oxygen and water rich planets in the goldilocks zone, of a similar size to earth, with volcanic tectonic dynamics that could well harbour life.

“I am totally convinced” is not “Yes, we have proof of life on other planets.”
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down