Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

+22
skwalker1964
boatlady
LWS
astradt1
trevorw2539
polyglide
astra
sickchip
Blamhappy
Adele Carlyon
ahddrv
bobby
Stox 16
tlttf
Red Cat Woman
jackthelad
Phil Hornby
Redflag
Mel
blueturando
oftenwrong
Ivan
26 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever? - Page 7 Empty A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Post by Ivan Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 am

First topic message reminder :

When Labour came to power in 1997, their manifesto contained 229 promises. A BBC analysis five years later found that 181 of the promises, 80%, had been kept. As to the remaining 48 promises, the BBC decided that they were “either too difficult to judge or have not been met.”
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1961522.stm

Those people who make negative remarks such as “all politicians and parties are the same” would do well to compare Labour’s record on keeping promises with that of the Tories in the past two years. Dr Eoin Clarke has analysed the 2010 Tory manifesto and exposed some of its biggest lies:-

- The Tories said they would offer personalised tailored help to the long term unemployed (p.15), but they hid their plans to force disabled young people and others to work, unpaid, for profit-making companies like Tesco.

- The Tories said they would create 400,000 work-pairing college-based apprenticeship schemes over two years (p.17), but there are fewer than 10,000 apprenticeship places UK-wide.

- The Tories promised to reduce youth unemployment (p.5), but it has risen to an all-time high.

- The Tories said they'd cut child benefit for families earning more than £50,000, but they actually cut it for families where one person earns £44,000.

- The Tories said they'd raise the state pension age to 66, but then raised it to 67.

- The Tories promised to protect Child Trust Funds for the 33% poorest children, but instead axed them for all children.

- The Tories said they would give power to the Bank of England to crack down on bonuses (p.29), but nothing was done and bank bonuses have topped £6 billion in the past year.

- The Tories said they would protect the Winter Fuel Payment to pensioners (p.42), then cut it by £50 for some and £100 for others.

- The Tories said they would provide 4,200 extra Sure Start personnel (p.43). Instead they have cut £812 million in funding, which has resulted in the closing of more than 300 Sure Start Centres.

- The Tories claimed they would reduce unemployment and improve economic growth (p.3), but the opposite has occurred.

- The Tories concealed their plans to cut the Education Maintenance Allowance and raise VAT to 20%. They were also deliberately vague on their support for trebling tuition fees.

- The Tories promised to protect funding for Disability Living Allowance (p.42), which Cameron claimed for his own son, but then cut it for children receiving chemotherapy after they came to power. Now they’ve scrapped it altogether.

http://eoin-clarke.blogspot.com/2011/12/exposing-10-biggest-lies-in-tory.html

For more on the on the human cost of Tory disability cuts:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/16/human-cost-disability-cuts?newsfeed=true

Other broken promises have been listed by 'Twitter' member @GracieSamuels:-

No cuts to public spending in 2010-11 (just 'efficiency savings').

No bonuses over £2,000 for bankers.

3,000 more police officers.

Keeping the Future Jobs Fund.

Pupil Premium to be additional to the schools budget.

‘Bonfire of the quangos’ (4,500 more bureaucrats have been recruited).

A Post Office Bank.

No cuts to the navy.

Three more army battalions.

Reduce immigration (it’s risen by 21% in one year).

Automatic prison sentence for carrying a knife.

Cutting rail fares each year.

NHS budget to be protected.

No cuts to frontline services.

3,000 more midwives.

No A&E and maternity unit closures.

And of course, the worst and most disgusting broken Tory promise, hidden from the voters but planned for years and rewarded by private healthcare firms:-

No top-down reorganisation of the NHS.

Is this the worst UK government ever? Have you ever read about or lived through two years of more malevolence towards the weakest in society, and more lies from a Prime Minister so mired in sleaze and corruption?

Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever? - Page 7 Empty Re: A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm

All lies Ivan, now surely the british voting public can see through that if they bother to read it and understand it that is, also if they bother to register to vote too, which is so much of a waste, if they do not vote do not complaign.

stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever? - Page 7 Empty Re: A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever?

Post by bobby Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Sorry Stuart, the voting public are not aware of most Tory deeds and policies. I thought it was the Job of Ed Miliband and co to inform the electorate. They have spent the past 5 years doing very little and other than seeing Labour politician's speaking to predominantly Labour groups, sending me emails asking for me to pay for their ineffectiveness, I really do not think they have done anywhere near enough to secure election on the 7th May.
I honestly believe we are to see Herr Cameron staying in number 10.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip J H Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:39 pm

bobby wrote:I honestly believe we are to see Herr Cameron staying in number 10.

Highly unlikely as the numbers just don't stack up for the tories according to the polls. Labour are the most favoured coalition partners and the bookies agree as well!
Anonymous
Phillip J H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:47 pm

They have spent the past 5 years doing very little
.....other than talk to four million people on their own doorsteps, because the rabid right-wing media hasn't reported anything which might be favourable to Labour, not even when Andy Burnham detailed a major policy about merging the NHS and social care. The Tory tabloids have only been interested in crap about bacon sandwiches and Ed Miliband looking 'awkward' when he gives money to a beggar.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Bobby please do not wish that on the people of the UK, in the places I have been Hallam Sheffield, Carlisle & Wirral West those places will have Labour MPs.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Bobby I actually think that you are right, as I have voluntered to help in many ways for this current Labour party, doing many things, and it took them 2 weeks to get back to me to ask me what I could do etc,then another week after me complaining to them again ,to ask me my address? then I told them if this is how organised they are then it will be a third term for davy boy, and disabled people like myself will get slaughtered again.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip J H Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

stuart torr wrote:Bobby I actually think that you are right, as I have voluntered to help in many ways for this current Labour party, doing many things, and it took them 2 weeks to get back to me to ask me what I could do etc,then another week after me complaining to them again ,to ask me my address? then I told them if this is how organised they are then it will be a third term for davy boy, and disabled people like myself will get slaughtered again.

I have to admit that it took me three attempts to getting a window bill sent out. Surprised

If you are just replying to the most recent message on a thread, there is no need to re-post it.
Ivan
Anonymous
Phillip J H

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 pm

To be honest, Stu, I think what you have been experiencing is a result of the local campaigns being organised on the whole by volunteers - it's similar in my town - I do think if the party could afford to employ a really good admin team in each constituency everything would work a lot more efficiently - as this is not possible, we are mostly left with enthusiastic but not necessarily very skilled local organisers.

I think you just have to persist - keep turning up and letting people know you are there - and definitely be available on election day. Even if all you can do is make cups of tea for everyone, you will definitely be needed - my mum has promised to be at Labour headquarters on election day - all she'll do is make tea and talk to campaigners but even that will make a difference
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Phillip J H wrote:I have to admit that it took me three attempts to getting a window bill sent out. Surprised

Phone your local Labour party office they will get one sent out pronto and if you want a garden one too Phillip
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:31 pm

It is just that I am beginning to feel useless boatlady, and it hurts if you know what I mean.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:16 pm

It also took me ages to get a window poster Phil, even though I had volunteered for office admin aswell.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Stu,
I do know what you mean - it's hard to offer your help and feel that no-one can use your talents - my only advice is - get down to your local Labour party headquarters and just hang out - get to know the poor inept souls that are trying to make the campaign a success and do whatever you think will help - that's what my mum and me will be doing on election day. It's all about everyone getting involved - we can't all be as effective as redflag, but we can all be there.

Even if you just make tea or go out for a drink with the canvassers after they're finished, or show a poster, or tell your neighbour why they should vote Labour - you're doing your bit to get Ed elected - and that's what it's about, at the end of the day
bounce Idea sunny
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip J H Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:51 pm

@ Boatlady

I wouldn't want to tell my neighbour to vote Labour. He's a racist and homophobic daily mail reader. He stood outside of our house the other day pointing towards our window bill and laughing.

I shoved a labour election leaflet under his car window screen Laughing Laughing Laughing
Anonymous
Phillip J H

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks boatlady, at least I know what to do on election day.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip J H Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:01 pm

@ Stu

I've been heavily involved with the labour party since i was knee high! As kids my brothers and i used to get really excited about pushing the leaflets through at election times!

I've done the canvassing lark for many a year and held the commitee rooms at my address, number taking at the polling station, knocking up etc..etc.

Having a break from it this year and for only the first time.

Last edited by Ivan on Thu May 07, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Anonymous
Phillip J H

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Good for you Phil.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:16 am

boatlady wrote:Stu,
I do know what you mean - it's hard to offer your help and feel that no-one can use your talents - my only advice is - get down to your local Labour party headquarters and just hang out - get to know the poor inept souls that are trying to make the campaign a success and do whatever you think will help - that's what my mum and me will be doing on election day. It's all about everyone getting involved - we can't all be as effective as redflag, but we can all be there.

Even if you just make tea or go out for a drink with the canvassers after they're finished, or show a poster, or tell your neighbour why they should vote Labour - you're doing your bit to get Ed elected - and that's what it's about, at the end of the day
bounce Idea sunny

Very good advice boatlady, as I have said on this forum you do not have to travel to any of the campaign offices your local office needs you doing your bit it will help us to get a Labour gov't on the 8th of May.
When I was in Wirral West they had a vounteer who went round with posters for those that asked for them he also had garden posters & helped the people to stick them into there gardens or tied them to a pole as some gardens had been concreted over, so as boatlady has said every little bit will help the Labour party win on the 7th May, I managed to convert two of the reception staff at the hotel Iwas staying to vote Labour just by sitting at the bar haveing a St Clements (fresh orange lemonade & lime cordial) I was always up front why I was in WW & was proud to wear my Labour badges & rosette much to the annoyance of a few people. So come on Cutting Edge boarders go out and do what you can for your local Labour party even if you have a rotten Tory MP at the moment. cheers
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

You know something Redflag, they have all my details, yet when I email them to remind them i'm available, they just say let us know your postcode or something different,that it gets on my nerves.
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 pm

A neat summary of Cameron's appalling record as PM...... Twisted Evil

50 promises the Conservatives have broken since they came to power

Compiled by Jack Blanchard:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/general-election-2015-50-promises-5648458
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart torr Thu May 07, 2015 5:57 pm

They seem to get worse every election,but it comes natural to them does it not or seems to?
stuart torr
stuart torr
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu May 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Ivan wrote:Dr Eoin Clarke has analysed the 2010 Tory manifesto and exposed some of its biggest lies:-

- The Tories said they would offer personalised tailored help to the long term unemployed (p.15), but they hid their plans to force disabled young people and others to work, unpaid, for profit-making companies like Tesco.

- The Tories said they would create 400,000 work-pairing college-based apprenticeship schemes over two years (p.17), but there are fewer than 10,000 apprenticeship places UK-wide.

- The Tories promised to reduce youth unemployment (p.5), but it has risen to an all-time high.

- The Tories said they'd cut child benefit for families earning more than £50,000, but they actually cut it for families where one person earns £44,000.

- The Tories said they'd raise the state pension age to 66, but then raised it to 67.

- The Tories promised to protect Child Trust Funds for the 33% poorest children, but instead axed them for all children.

- The Tories said they would give power to the Bank of England to crack down on bonuses (p.29), but nothing was done and bank bonuses have topped £6 billion in the past year.

- The Tories said they would protect the Winter Fuel Payment to pensioners (p.42), then cut it by £50 for some and £100 for others.  

- The Tories said they would provide 4,200 extra Sure Start personnel (p.43). Instead they have cut £812 million in funding, which has resulted in the closing of more than 300 Sure Start Centres.

- The Tories claimed they would reduce unemployment and improve economic growth (p.3), but the opposite has occurred.  

- The Tories concealed their plans to cut the Education Maintenance Allowance and raise VAT to 20%. They were also deliberately vague on their support for trebling tuition fees.

- The Tories promised to protect funding for Disability Living Allowance (p.42), which Cameron claimed for his own son, but then cut it for children receiving chemotherapy after they came to power. Now they’ve scrapped it altogether.

http://eoin-clarke.blogspot.com/2011/12/exposing-10-biggest-lies-in-tory.html

For more on the on the human cost of Tory disability cuts:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/16/human-cost-disability-cuts?newsfeed=true

Other broken promises have been listed by 'Twitter' member @GracieSamuels:-

No cuts to public spending in 2010-11 (just 'efficiency savings').

No bonuses over £2,000 for bankers.

3,000 more police officers.

Keeping the Future Jobs Fund.

Pupil Premium to be additional to the schools budget.

‘Bonfire of the quangos’ (4,500 more bureaucrats have been recruited).

A Post Office Bank.

No cuts to the navy.

Three more army battalions.

Reduce immigration (it’s risen by 21% in one year).

Automatic prison sentence for carrying a knife.

Cutting rail fares each year.

NHS budget to be protected.

No cuts to frontline services.

3,000 more midwives.

No A&E and maternity unit closures.

And of course, the worst and most disgusting broken Tory promise, hidden from the voters but planned for years and rewarded by private healthcare firms:-

No top-down reorganisation of the NHS.

You have not said anything about the 2012 NHS Act Bill with a  codicil 106 which forces the NHS to give 49% of our NHS to the private health sector Ivan
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:37 am

Labour reveals 21 broken promises by the Tories - one for every week they've been in government

Article by Dan Bloom:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-reveals-21-broken-promises-6537411
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:08 am

IVAN Everything the Tories say is nothing more than BLATANT LIES, just like there friends in the right wing media.

Yet when the Tories start to sell off our BBC they will be the first ones that will want our help to stop Tories selling off to Murdoch & Co, after 5 years of repeating the Tory LIES.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:45 am

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 am

Theresa May's speech at Lancaster House on Jan 17 makes it clear that "Government" does not mean the same as "Parliament". A Westminster vote against Brexit wouldn't stop the extraction process.

So much for "taking back sovereignty". Some MPs are more equal than others.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 pm

She's making me very angry now - surely I can't be in a minority?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Just a month before the 2015 general election........

A catalogue of broken Tory promises – is this the worst UK government ever? - Page 7 Tory_s10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6ai6alWcAAgKiB.jpg
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

Theresa May says no government cash for sprinklers in tower blocks despite promises made after Grenfell

MP Lilian Greenwood said that May's response to a question from her was disgraceful: “After the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower she assured people living in council high rise blocks that action would be taken to keep them safe. Her answer today confirms that those were empty promises.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-sprinklers-money-grenfell-promise-broken-accusations-a8007501.html
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am

What's new?

Babies cry; dogs bark -and Tory politicians tell lies...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:36 pm

The qualifier word "Tory" is possibly redundant in such sentences. Former comedian Nick Clegg has written a book entitled "How to stop Brexit" (and make Britain Great again)
Published Bodley Head £8.99.

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7