Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constitutional monarchy or republic?

+21
Dan Fante
methought
boatlady
bambu
jackthelad
Ivanhoe
astra
Adele Carlyon
Stox 16
sickchip
blueturando
astradt1
trevorw2539
Phil Hornby
tlttf
Blamhappy
Shirina
Mel
Ivan
oftenwrong
witchfinder
25 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Empty Constitutional monarchy or republic?

Post by witchfinder Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am

First topic message reminder :

This topic or subject is actualy about the head of state of the United KIngdom and 15 other independent sovereign nations including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

If this particular thread was about the head of state of say France or the United States, then instead of been slotted into "General Discussion", it would have been more appropriate to put the topic into "Politics", but of course our head of state is above politics and represents no political party, and in my view thats what makes the constitutional monarchy a superior system.

In 1981 this question was put to me: "are you a true and loyal supporter of the British Crown and constitution", and my reply was "yes" I am, and in doing so I actualy made an oath of loyalty not to any politician, but to The Crown, the people and the nation.

The Crown and the monarchy are not democratic in the sense that no one ever elects them, but then again what system, or which sytem of government is truly fair and democratic ?, in the United States 45% of serving soldiers, airforce staff and sailors voted Republican in 2008, yet they have to swear alliegence to President Obama, in many unstable nations this situation is a recipe for civil war.

Today ( 25th May 2012 ) the latest opinion poll has been published in the UK on the subject of the monarchy, the findings have been released just prior to nationwide celebrations for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II.

The first thing to point out about this opinion poll is that the monarchy enjoys solid support amongst Labour voters and supporters, the Queen and the institution of the monarchy has never been so popular.
Support is strong in Scotland, Wales, all areas of England and in every age group and social class, but the findings are not good reading for Charlie, most people feel the line of succession should jump a generation and go to William.

Should TRUE Labour supporters be embaressed about been a supporter of the Queen and the monarchy ?, I say absolutely not, it is clearly obvious that to go down the path of republicanism would lose both support and votes, just as it did to the SNP in Scotland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/24/queen-diamond-jubilee-record-support

And so as my next door neighbour who is chairman of the local Conservative club puts out his flags for the celebrations, so shall I, and as a Labour supporter and voter we are both equal in one nation under one Crown.

witchfinder
witchfinder
Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Empty Re: Constitutional monarchy or republic?

Post by oftenwrong Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:30 pm

For me, the point of an "Honorary Degree" was adequately and perfectly defined when the Oxford Universities declined to afford one to the late Margaret Thatcher when she was expecting it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/29/newsid_2506000/2506019.stm

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Empty Re: Constitutional monarchy or republic?

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Sort of restores one's faith in human nature... Very Happy

I regularly assume that notification of my richly-deserved 'honour' must be in the post...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Very worried today to read that Prince Andrew's grandchildren may be commoners - really puts all that whinging about food banks and the housing crisis into perspective - that poor man mustn't be getting a wink of sleep
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

It's a realisation I had to face myself, some years ago now. However I can assure His Princeness that although it may seem hard at the time, you do get over it.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 am

What a relief - one was feeling grateful for having no offspring
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 am

Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Empty It would all be so different if we had a President

Post by oftenwrong Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Am I the only one thinking we should withdraw his invitation (which most of us didn't want to extend in the first place)
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:30 am

rofl - not really that funny though - he and Mrs Windsor are both part of the problem and I'm sure she'll find all his money and power quite charming
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:40 pm

How are we expected to distinguish l'ancienne regime from the nouveaux riche?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:41 pm

I don't think you can anymore
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 pm

I think I may have cracked it : the ones who don't mention 'pussy grabbing' are the good guys... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Empty Soon, Dear Boy - All this will be yours !!

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 DC1qUE_XoAEHRTf
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 pm

witty hat, though
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Now Prince Philip is set to retire, let's talk about getting rid of the monarchy entirely

Extracts from an article by Sirena Bergman:-

Prince Philip is finally retiring. He’s luckier than most people – my generation, for instance, for whom retirement will surely become a pipe dream before we reach our golden years, as well as the current pensioners who are forced to make ends meet on the meagre £122.30 per week they’re entitled to. No £122.30 for Phil, though. It’s not his retirement that we should be worrying about, however, but rather the question of how he kept his job for as long as he did. Somehow despite his numerous controversial and often xenophobic ‘gaffes’, this man has continued to be allowed to at least partly represent Britain for more than 50 years.

Philip memorably once asked the 11 multi-ethnic members of dance group 'Diversity' if they were all related. He even once suggested that London ban tourists, who ironically enough are most people’s only argument for keeping him and the rest of the royals in the job in the first place. That’s without even going into the time he asked a female sea cadet if she worked in a strip club, or the time he told the President of Nigeria, who met him in national dress, “You look like you’re ready for bed”.

Let’s not forget that what lies at the heart of the royal family is a long history of representing only the upper echelons of society, and supporting a system in which your surname and social pedigree dictate the opportunities available to you. Every day, people on low incomes in full-time work give part of their salary to uphold these people’s 'birthright' to free money and a couple of castles. The royal family’s existence embodies our lack of social mobility and demeans the concept of democracy. Living in a country where the head of state is unelected can get downright demoralising, and that’s not going to change just because the older ones retire and the young ‘woke’ ones take over. Let’s all take this opportunity to be thankful that Philip is no longer representing our country, but wary of a system which ever allowed him to in the first place. Perhaps now is the time to start phasing out the monarchy.

For the whole article:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/prince-philip-not-dead-royal-announcement-queen-elizabeth-monarchy-republican-a7717541.html
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 am

I think this problem might resolve itself when Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, inherits the top job and acts like Charles the First did.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:48 pm

hopefully, not meeting the same fate
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

That referendum last year unleashed the worst in some people, who felt themselves thereby empowered to make racist threats, physically attack politicians and spout bile on social media.

The latest mindless vandalism is really quite difficult to explain, without going down to the same level of spitefulness:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/queens-horses-injured-in-absolute-carnage-after-being-set-free-from-field/ar-AApMu6S?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about those horses, but it's time to clean out the stables......

Prince Charles lobbied for policy changes that he would have profited from offshore

Prince Charles campaigned to alter climate change agreements without disclosing his estate had a financial interest in such a rule change, leaks from the 'Paradise Papers' indicate.

Details here:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-charles-paradise-papers-latest-conflict-interest-offshore-finances-money-investment-a8042736.html
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Clearly, the best way to have been born rich is to have chosen the right parents.
Assuming that is your happy condition, Mummy and Daddy will have educated you in the ways to remain wealthy. Among which is to have the right contacts, and an imperative to make your money "work"! Charlie evidently used that advantage to invest in "Carbon Exchange certificates". Yeah, right up there with Bitcoin, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

The general hypocrisy is exposed as soon as a risk-taker is "exposed" in the popular press for a wrong guess. Charlie is on a hiding to nothing unless he takes religious vows or something comparable.

Personally I've chosen the quiet life.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 pm

A primary school in Theresa May's constituency of Maidenhead has opened a foodbank. Meanwhile, 20 minutes away in Windsor.....

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Dinner10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOLyXjgWkAAHCgF.jpg

Even Charles Dickens might have struggled to write this story. Evil or Very Mad
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm not sure that any prevention of that occasion would have made any tangible difference to the need for a food bank - alas!

Attendance at a function of that nature would be amongst my worst nightmares and most of those who were attending probably spent much of their time trying to out-do each other in one form or another.

Whatever restructuring of society which might take place, it will ever be thus...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Dinner10

Pass the salt, please.
Pass the salt, please.
Pass the salt, please.
Pass the salt, please.
etcetera

But in a British Republic, the President would just take everyone to a MacDonalds, and you wouldn't have all that flummery.

Would you?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Can't see any food
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 BBFOMqW(msn)

" Don't worry, darling - I'll wangle a work permit for you, so you can stay after Brexit..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 am

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 pm

I think Kevin de Bruyne may have problems convincing Manchester City fans that he is not the one marrying  Ms Markle...

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwaaZqE_qMrt4iKdQVnGTEcur5Zsx-nEiM4cV6dRtchxnlgvOsOw(biography.com)

Constitutional monarchy or republic? - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEnKyhYuIn6-kPPFlPIrAybGDWmbkl9KunwHQpQ8hBH6syp96aCQ(transfermarket.com)
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Isn't that Jamie the fascist chef?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum