Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2)

+24
William R
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
AW
Norm Deplume
Bellatori
Dan Fante
starlight07
methought
skwalker1964
willingsniper
jackthelad
trevorw2539
Jsmythe
Ivan
pilgrim47
Tosh
egginbonce
bobby
polyglide
boatlady
Shirina
tlttf
snowyflake
oftenwrong
28 posters

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2) - Page 9 Empty Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2)

Post by ROB Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Shirina wrote:
Humans are easily fooled.

Perhaps that’s why atheism is growing in spite of its illogicalness.

To prove that an omniscient being does not exist, one must be an omniscient being. Only God can prove God’s existence, and only God can prove God’s nonexistence; thus, if God’s nonexistence is ever proven, God will have proven God’s own nonexistence.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed May 01, 2013 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
ROB

Back to top Go down

Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2) - Page 9 Empty Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2)

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm

snowyflake wrote:
The United States Constitution makes no mention of “granting us freedom… FROM religion.”
They should have.

It’s just fine just as it is.

Back to top Go down

Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2) - Page 9 Empty Re: Evidence for the existence of God (Part 2)

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Rock, please tell me who is this:

1 Samuel 6:19
Because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people fifty thousand, and three score and ten men.

Jeremiah 16:3-7
For thus saith the LORD concerning the sons and concerning the daughters that are born in this place, and concerning their mothers that bare them, and concerning their fathers that begat them in this land; They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth. For thus saith the LORD, Enter not into the house of mourning, neither go to lament nor bemoan them: for I have taken away my peace from this people, saith the LORD, even lovingkindness and mercies. Both the great and the small shall die in this land: they shall not be buried, neither shall men lament for them, nor cut themselves, nor make themselves bald for them: Neither shall men tear themselves for them in mourning, to comfort them for the dead; neither shall men give them the cup of consolation to drink for their father or for their mother.

Micah 1:12
But evil came down from the LORD unto the gate of Jerusalem.

Deuteronomy 7:16
And thou shalt consume all the people which the Lord thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity upon them.

Exodus 34:6-7
The Lord God ... visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

1 Samuel 15:2-3
Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling.

Last edited by snowyflake on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted an answer :))
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

I thought recently, after coming across some christian attitudes in the course of work , that the 'public face of it seems all sweetnesss and helping old ladies cross the road,etc, but when you dig deeper, they believe in the Devil more than they do God, and hold all sorts of odd attitudes('I cant have acupuncture, as its the devils work';meditation opens the mind to the devil,etc etc, ad nauseam).
I'd recently done a short c ourse in acupuncture to help my work, and found this nonsense from 2 consecutive christians!
I wondered if someone who joins up because it looks like nice friendly social thing to do,with nice tea parties and sunday school for the kids,only gradually finds this other stuff underlies it all, and by then, having invested some time and emotion into it, sort of gets sucked in gradually,and in time, will spout the same rubbish themselves............
so why get cross about it,they often ask?...........its because theyd get me too, if I was just a little dafter than I am;its like looking at a dog that would bite you if it had no muzzle on it!
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm

It’s just fine just as it is

We disagree, Rock. Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 pm

ahhhhh, snowy...youve found 'the word (s)of God'.......................awesome, innit?
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm

snowyflake wrote:
I’ve shown you more than one; Joseph Stalin and his cohorts; Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

Nope. Not done in the name of atheism. Done in the name of Marxism…

All things done in the name of Marxism are done in the name of Marxism’s components, including anti-religious atheism.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm

ahhhhh, snowy...youve found 'the word (s)of God'.......................awesome, innit?

Horrific, Eggy. Completely, totally and utterly. And this is the all-merciful God that polyglide and Rock worship.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm

All things done in the name of Marxism are done in the name of Marxism’s components, including anti-religious atheism.

Nope. Murder done in the name of Marxism for political reasons. None of them killed in the name of atheism. They killed in the name of Marxism. Marxism is anti-religious. They abhorred the corruption and greed of the churches and organised religion and for those and other political reasons, they murdered millions. Atheism was not the driver behind murdering millions.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Rock, just answer my question please. Who is the character in those verses and why can't you answer honestly? Showing me the sermon on the mount which I practically know by heart doesn't change what is written in the OT.

Why does identifying God in the old testament as the maniac he is so difficult for you?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm

You must admit, tho, snowy, thats its colourful................albeit in bad taste;if it was invented afresh, it would only be on TV after 10 pm!

actually, now I think of it, we've rather deviated from the topic title..arent we sposed to be looking for/giving, 'evidence for the existence of God?', or is this where I came in?

Rock.............back to the point......what IS God?..not 'what characteristics can be ascribed to god', but what IS god?(clue- this requires a zen answer!) Laughing
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

ahhhh same question, as I just asked..........we'er on the right track then....................
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Dear snowy- he didnt really say those things..........thyere just typos......................................Rock Laughing
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

rock- the fact that one minute he says one thing and the next, another is scarier than if he were only a homicidal man iac;at least youd know where u stood!
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

I suppose these discussions get side-tracked, Eggy. Go on then, provide us with evidence of God's existance. Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:02 pm

right then.......................OK.......................errrrr...................ummmm...............errrrrr........ummmmmm
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 pm

god exists cos I exist(or do I?)........'I think, therfore, I am' (does that hold water?)
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm

I think we should ask the pope;after all, he's very impressive ,wears a big hat,and is important and has millions of followers, so he CANT be wrong, can he?
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm

snowyflake wrote:
Nope. Murder done in the name of Marxism for political reasons. None of them killed in the name of atheism. They killed in the name of Marxism. Marxism is anti-religious.

Marxism is an all-encompassing economic, sociological, psychological, theological (anti-religious atheistic), historical, political ideology wherein one cannot separate its components from its whole because all components interconnect and intertwine to make up the whole; accordingly, anything done in the name of Marxism is done in the name of anti-religious atheism.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 pm

YHVH Elohim, all merciful, is he who says “hear Y’shua”, who teaches the following to me.

Okay, then I will take it that you agree that God is not merciful in the verses I posted since you refuse to address them. Instead you only post the verses that suit you and ignore the rest. The fact that you don't address the ones I posted suggests that you cannot answer my question. If that is true, can you just say so please?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Marxism is an all-encompassing economic, sociological, psychological, theological (anti-religious atheistic), historical, political ideology wherein one cannot separate its components from its whole because all components interconnect and intertwine to make up the whole; accordingly, anything done in the name of Marxism is done in the name of anti-religious atheism.

You mean like all parts of the bible intertwine with each other? So that the God of the OT, the vengeful, hateful, petty, spiteful God is the same God as the all-merciful, all-loving God? Because all the components of the bible interconnect and intertwine to make up the whole, so accordingly, anything done in the Old Testament is relevant to the New Testament? Is that what you mean?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Then your quote, “of the people, by the people, for the people”, reproduced here with the aforementioned correction in progression of the propositions “of”, “by”, and “for”, is irrelevant, as can be seen below.
Wrong. The preamble of the US Constitution begins with "We the people ..." therefore, my quotation is not rendered irrelevant because, while I may have taken the quote from the Declaration of Independence, which is sickeningly filled with references to the supernatural, the CONCEPT of which I speak is reiterated in the Constitution's preamble minus any references to supernatural beings. Thus, your "under God" premise was removed by the Founders themselves, and done so deliberately.
The United States Constitution makes no mention of “granting us freedom… FROM religion.”
Explain to me then how we can have freedom to practice our religions without having the freedom from being ruled by them? Or, more specifically, one particular religion? You have a nice big forum on which to post your answer, so limiting yourself to soundbites isn't necessary. I've asked this question before and you've never addressed it. I even gave you cases from the Supreme Court to back up my assertions and yet you STILL claim we are not protected FROM religion.

Not only that, I JUST got done writing a post a few days ago illustrating how the 1st Amendment doesn't do a good enough job protecting us against the encroachment of religion into civil law ... and what did you do? You said IT DID! So how on earth can you claim the 1st Amendment protects us from religion while now saying that it doesn't? Which one is it, Rock? You can only pick one.

Oh, and the fact that you don't think we are protected FROM religion only proves that the 1st Amendment doesn't do a good enough job.
Y’shua instructs his followers otherwise in the Greek Bible.
I'm not Greek. I've never been to Greece. I haven't even sampled Greek food - well, except for yummy gyros. I can, however, recite the Greek alphabet from memory thanks to my college days. How many people in America, do you suppose, receive their Biblical instruction from the Greek Bible? While you may think that your interpretation of Christianity is the only correct version, the vast, vast, vast majority of people in this country see the Bible differently - and since THEY, not you, control the religious direction of this nation, THEIR interpretation and THEIR Bible is what is important to me right now.
This is how Y’shua instructs his followers in the Greek Bible.
So the Greek Bible has omitted the Old Testament? Remember that much of American Christianity is rooted in the Old Testament. I have said before, if anything, we are a de facto JEWISH nation, not a Christian nation, because Americans have all but discarded Jesus's teachings and are, instead, fixated on hellfire and brimstone, not "love thy neighbor." Maybe if we weren't so focused on judging everyone and running in fear of punishment for our sins, America would actually have nationalized health care - oh, and mark my words. I predict very soon now that many Americans are going to start bashing the disabled because we are, as already stated by some, "dead weight" in society and because "disabled people cost too much." It's already started; now that half the nation hates the other half for being poor, the disabled is the next logical target. It's coming, Rock, and we're going to see oh so much American Christian love in the near future. Y'shua taught to help the poor, to embrace them as the inheritors of the Kingdom of God. Where do you see that in Christianity today? Even if they all have it wrong because the Greek Bible says x or y, it doesn't matter, because that is not what decides the way our culture works.
I’ve made no error of any sort here.
Because confusing a defintion with a tenet certainly isn't an error. Of course not.
Red herring. I have not said that atheism is necessarily anti-religious.
*face-palm*
An atheist must believe not in God/god/gods.
That's a definition, Rock, not a tenet. You've completely ignored my lengthy attempt at explaining why this is so and disrespected the time and effort I put into my post by responding simply with a "nuh uh!" answer. Thanks for that. Aside from this post, I won't make that mistake again. I'm simply TIRED of doing all the work.
The atrocities of Adolf Hitler were on him, not the Roman Catholic Church he denigrated by claiming membership therein.
I never claimed that Hitler was a practicing Catholic or that Catholicism had anything to do with Hitler's atrocities.
The atrocities of al Qaida are on them, not the Islamic faith they denigrated by claiming membership therein.
The Koran talks about killing infidels, so Al Qaeda is following the instructions laid out in the Koran. The only part they got wrong was killing themselves in the process. That is something the Koran doesn't teach. Therefore, the tenets of Islam are at least partially to blame for what these men do.
Yes.
No.
They do.
They don't.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 pm

RockOnBrother wrote:
snowyflake wrote:
You mean like all parts of the bible intertwine with each other?

I mean like all components of Marxism intertwine with each other.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 pm

having invested some time and emotion into it, sort of gets sucked in gradually,and in time, will spout the same rubbish themselves............
It's the frog in the boiling pot metaphor.

If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will hop out immediately. But if you put a frog in a luke warm pot and gradually turn up the heat, the frog will allow itself to be boiled alive.

so why get cross about it,they often ask?

I get asked this question quite often. In fact, I was asked this just yesterday. I have an over-arcing answer that is my default position on this topic.

The reason why I sometimes get cross is because of what underpins one of the core doctrines of Christian belief. Any time some self-righteous Christian tells me (or atheists in general) that I'm going to hell, what it REALLY means is that this person believes I deserve to be tortured. Yeah, think about it. That's what it means. So the same nice, sweet person who sips tea with friends, helps with Sunday School for the kids, helps old ladies cross the street, and donates time and money to charities harbors a pitch black darkness inside, a darkness so foul that he or she honestly believes that average men and women who have lived good lives deserve to be tortured. What's worse, people like me deserve to be tortured NOT because we're evil, NOT because we're Adolf Hitler, but because we simply don't worship the same tribal desert god that they do. How sick is that when you really think about it?
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

RockOnBrother wrote:
Then your quote, “of the people, by the people, for the people”, reproduced here with the aforementioned correction in progression of the propositions “of”, “by”, and “for”, is irrelevant, as can be seen below.
Shirina wrote:
Wrong.

Only if you are cherry picking from Lincoln’s remarks at Gettysburg from which you quoted “of the people, by the people for the people.” If you wish to cherry pick, please state that you are cherry picking rather than saying “Wrong.”

Shirina wrote:
… The preamble of the US Constitution begins with "We the people ..."

You in fact did not quote from the preamble; you in fact did quote from Lincoln’s remarks at Gettysburg.

Shirina wrote:
… while I may have taken the quote from the Declaration of Independence…

You in fact did not quote from the Declaration of Independence; you in fact did quote from Lincoln’s remarks at Gettysburg.

Shirina wrote:
… the CONCEPT of which I speak is reiterated in the Constitution's preamble…

The concept of which you speak and the words which you quote are from Lincoln’s remarks at Gettysburg.

Shirina wrote:
Thus, your "under God" premise…

The words “under God” are from Lincoln’s remarks at Gettysburg, from the same sentence…

“It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

… from which you quoted “of the people, by the people, for the people”, the same sentence in which the phrase “this nation, under God” precedes the phrase from which you quoted by nine words.

Shirina wrote:
Explain to me then how we can have freedom to practice our religions without having the freedom from being ruled by them?

I shall allow the United States Constitution to explain that to you.

United States Constitution, Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Shirina wrote:
Y’shua instructs his followers otherwise in the Greek Bible.
I'm not Greek.

Neither am I.

Shirina wrote:
I've never been to Greece.

Neither have I.

Shirina wrote:
I haven't even sampled Greek food - well, except for yummy gyros.

Greek food is pretty good.

Shirina wrote:
How many people in America, do you suppose, receive their Biblical instruction from the Greek Bible?

I haven’t a clue.

Shirina wrote:
While you may think that your interpretation of Christianity…

I own no interpretation of Christianity; I do not interpret Christianity.

Shirina wrote:
This is how Y’shua instructs his followers in the Greek Bible.
So the Greek Bible has omitted the Old Testament?

I shall allow Y’shua’s teachings form the Greek Bible answer your question,

Greek Bible

“Therefore, in all things whatsoever, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.”

Matthew 7:12

Y’shua, not I, teaches for you to hear.

Shirina wrote:
An atheist must believe not in God/god/gods.
[i]That's a definition, Rock, not a tenet.

That’s the inviolate tenet of atheism.

Shirina wrote:
The atrocities of al Qaida are on them, not the Islamic faith they denigrated by claiming membership therein.
The Koran talks about killing infidels, so Al Qaeda is following the instructions laid out in the Koran.

The Qur’an teaches Muslims to treat Jews and Christians with dignity, honor, respect, and deference.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 pm

You first. Once you have done so, I will do so.

No, Rock. I asked you first. You have yet to answer. You cannot have it all your own way. If we are to discuss then you must also be honest in our discussions. If I ask the question about other verses in the bible, then please do me the courtesy of answering. By avoiding a direct question, you only give me the impression that you cannot or are unwilling to answer. Just say you can't answer if you can't answer. It is dishonesty at its peak to quote one part of the bible and claim God's all-mercifullness and ignore other parts of the bible that show God's all-wickedness. How do you square that with your conscience? The evidence is there right in front of you and you choose to ignore it. Why?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey Rock------------ you dont half dance well............its a while since Ive found someone so evasive and able to sideslip so well.................dont let snowy pin you down,boy............. dodge and weave as much as you need to ............... Very Happy

PS those biblical quotes which snowy found,that I hadnt the time to find;they are about your god, arent they, you bad boy? Very Happy
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 pm

The qu'ran has several verses about not befriending the infidel and yet you choose to look at the verse that says treat the Jew and Christian with dignity and respect (because that's what's happening in the Middle East eh?). Why does the verse about killing the infidel get edited out of your version of the qu'ran?

Can you not see that what you think is right is down to interpretation only?
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

You KNOW he's not a very nice god,really, dont you? bounce
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm

I guess im being sarcastic, Rock.......maybe thats unkind of me..........I'll stop................ clown
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm

All things done in the name of Theism are done in the name of theism’s components, including bigotry, immorality and inequality.

Marxism would be acceptable to Texas if the opening line was " love thy neighbour as oneself ", it disqualifies all other qualifications there after, its just a childish inability to recognise context and broader concepts.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 am

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:21 am

I mean like all components of Marxism intertwine with each other.

The bible does the same thing. All components intertwine with each other. The OT and the NT.

Tell me, please Rock, does the Greek bible include all components of the current translations of the bible that are in circulation, to the best of your knowledge?

My understanding of the Christian faith, your faith Rock, is that you choose to hear the sermon on the mount and follow those teachings of Jesus. What God has done in the OT or Revelations doesn't matter. Is that about right?

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am

Stalin was an atheist, Stalin’s beliefs were delusional, and Stalin’s interpretation of his delusional beliefs helped mass murders in the name of Marxism and antireligious atheism arise and devastate a generation of Soviet citizens.

Pol Pot was an atheist, Pol Pot’s beliefs were delusional, and Pol Pot’s interpretation of his delusional beliefs helped mass murders in the name of Marxism and antireligious atheism arise and virtually destroyed a generation of Cambodian citizens.

Rock, atheists don't believe that God exists. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it here. PolPot and Stalin were madmen, not because they were atheists. They murdered because they were madmen not because they were atheists. They were delusional because they believed in a political ideology and when it wasn't working they murdered those in opposition. At the end of the day, believers kill more in the name of God/YHVH Elohim/Allah/Buddah/Shiva than anyone else.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 am

Presumably,Rock is conversant with the Greek dialect which the early Hebrew scripture was suposedly translated into,in order to get its full meaning/s.
Why he should consider that this version is somehow better than other versions, I cant tell;it was however, the basis for some of the OT accounts, according to wiki(all of which i couldnt be bothered to read).............I do seem to remember that it is commonly held that the OT god in particular is not very nice;nor even just,or fair....but the sort of thing that the brothers Grimm invented for theie fairy tales to scare us kids with when we were small. The difference ios that nowadays,half-arsed attempts to scare me with demons and ghoulies and ghosties,are only scary because of the intent of the person/s who tiredly trot out this crap.
I say tiredly, witha bit of Kahlil Gibran in ind,who said that;'in your weariness, you echo what was said by the weary' ...and in that line , is all the contempt which we naturally feel for those it was describing.............
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by egginbonce Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 am

maybe atheists dont accept
religion
,and leave the issue of 'god', to sort itself out.
For me, its a matter of definition(as so many say, who cant hold an argument!),and tho I have endless contempt for hardline religion,am open to the element of all of us which is....is.......is....magical(??)

I say hardline religion, as maybe theres a lot of people whomay be better off bumbling along with a zany idea(thats all of us,BTW)of things, than having no motivation at all,and Id rather they were in a church than 'out on the streets'';that way, I know where to go to avoid 'em!
egginbonce
egginbonce

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 am

Why is delusion preferable to reason, Eggy? We all need to find our own way in this life and I believe that religious belief has been a hindrance to me. My father was an atheist and my mother was a devout believer. My father never encouraged atheism (probably on my mother's orders). The one time we had a discussion about it, I was maybe 10 or 12 and he said that to him, belief is false, not based on solid evidence and relies completely on faith in things unseen. To him, it was irrational. Everything we do in this life is based on evidence. Everything. Except when it comes to religious belief which is where we ditch all of our rational thought and start believing that fairies and superheroes are real.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next