Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits

+16
stuart torr
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
True Blue
Tosh
astradt1
astra
Adele Carlyon
blueturando
Ivan
Blamhappy
Shirina
polyglide
trevorw2539
tlttf
oftenwrong
Greatest I am
20 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits  - Page 11 Empty God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits

Post by Greatest I am Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits.

Omnipotent is defined in part as having power or authority without limits IOW, almighty.

Seems to me that God has a few limits.

He cannot reproduce true.
He cannot enjoy sex.
He cannot reproduce without bestiality or cross species breeding.
He can only reproduce half breed chimeras like Jesus.
He could not create a heaven without Satan.
He could not create Eden without evil in it.
He cannot control wayward demons or devils.
He cannot sin, although scripture says he does.
He cannot live without needs like adoration, honour, obedience, love.
He cannot accept a soul into heaven without us accepting Jesus and human sacrifice.
He could not forgive sin without having Jesus sacrificed.
Feel free to add to this list.

How then can Christians say that God omnipotent, all-powerful and without limits when he clearly has many?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Greatest I am

Back to top Go down

God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits  - Page 11 Empty Re: God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits

Post by polyglide Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
On exactly what grounds are you saying God created suffering.

Satan started using suffering as a means of turning God's people away from God, God turned the tables by showing Satan he was on a loser etc;

The trouble is you do not believe in God and therefore unable to grasp anything relative.

polyglide

Back to top Go down

God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits  - Page 11 Empty Re: God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm not saying god created suffering. You are. I'm an atheist and don't believe God exists.  You however are claiming an omnipotent deity created everything. Or are you saying Satan created himself? Is Satan omnipotent?

Introducing Satan doesn't help as I have explained. An omnipotent being could stop Satan. If it chooses not to and thus allow ubiquitous suffering then it is malevolent.It can't both allow suffering it could stop and simultaneously be benevolent. The two positions are mutually exclusive.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
Of course God could stop Satan and he will when Stan's time is up.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:55 pm

So it's choosing not to stop Satan/suffering then? Then such a being would not be benevolent by any definition, in fact it would be malevolent.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Dr, Sheldon,
We do not understand the actual relationship between God and Satan but we are told that God allowed Satan terms regarding mankind.

If God retracted his terms then he would not be omnipotent but a liar.

The fact that Satan brought all kinds of evil to earth is not God's doing but Satans.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:20 pm

So are you claiming your deity is choosing to allow Satan/suffering, or is he unable to stop him? You see this is a fairly important distinction, and you have made both claims alternately, even though they are mutually exclusive. Now when pressed you see to be suggesting you don't or can't know, in which case you might more honestly have admitted right from the start that you can no more solve theodicy than Aquinas, or Augustine, William Lane Craig or CS Lewis.
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11