Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Republican Party's political suicide

+9
blueturando
Ivan
astra
oftenwrong
Stox 16
dimsum
jstnay
Charlatan
Shirina
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty The Republican Party's political suicide

Post by Shirina Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

As I'm sure many here know, Texas governor Rick Perry is a candidate for the Republican nomination for president. Fortunately he has fallen to subterranean levels as far as approval rates are concerned, but the Republicans as a whole are going to feel the sting of this political advertisement aired by Governor Perry. It's enough to make you blink and ask, "Did he really say that?" You might have to watch it more than once to verify that, yes, he really DID say that. Take a look:

It's not often that someone can squeeze in so many inaccurate statements into a 30 second soundbite, but Rick Perry managed to give it a good go. Let's start.

He begins by saying, "I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian." The implication here is that, despite Christians being the overwhelming majority in America, Christians are ashamed of their religion. Or, more accurately, that non-Christians are making Christians feel ashamed of being one. The evangelical and fundamentalist brand of Christianity are always looking for excuses to claim they are being persecuted since that is one of the tenants of their faith. Few things on earth are as noble as suffering in defense of Christ and Christianity, but it's pretty damned difficult to suffer and be persecuted when you're an 85% majority and pretty much call all of the shots (how many non-Christian presidents have there been?). As a result, whenever Christians don't get their own way (which is rare), they whine, stomp, and boohoo into their beers; more importantly, they scream of being persecuted against. "See, God? Look at me! I'm suffering for you! Are you watching this?" Rick Perry is grandstanding for the Christians, and it is thoroughly distasteful.

Moving on, he says, "You don't have to be in a pew every Sunday to know there is something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school."

There has always been a paradox with Republicans: They love our troops but hate gays. So how do they feel about gay troops? The question then becomes: Do they hate gays more than they love the troops? Rick Perry answers that question. For MOST people, regardless of political ideology, the fact that a person is a member of the armed forces putting themselves in harms way comes first. That is paramount. Whether they are gay, Christian, Muslim, straight, or whatever else they may be comes in at a very distant second. This is being perceived as an attack on the troops, for it matters more to Perry that a soldier is gay than it does a gay being a soldier. Iraqi insurgents and roadside IEDs do not inquire about their victims' sexual orientation before pulling the trigger or exploding, and the majority of Americans know that. If his message had been about gay marriage, he may have had more traction, but focusing on gays in the military, well, he blew it.

The second part is just absolute nonsense. Children can't openly celebrate Christmas? When did that happen? Republicans using fear and hyperbole to terrify the population into voting for them is nothing new, but these days they are well past hyperbole and into baldfaced lies. Some corporations (not the government) may be telling their employees to wish customers "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" but that's a long, LONG ways from kids having to open their presents in a secret room in the basement because Christmas can't be celebrated openly. If Perry is waiting for an American version of Anne Frank's Diary where a young girl is caught celebrating Christmas by Obama's gestapo, he better settle in for a very long wait, indeed.

The third part is just another lie. Kids can pray in school. There are no laws or rules saying they can't. What the Republicans want, however, is a teacher-led sermon and children chanting their prayers in unison as part of the daily school routine. There are no pulpits in a public school classroom, and there's a reason for that. The 1st Amendment prohibits the government from endorsing any particular religion, and Christians are obviously not hoping for generic prayers ("Which God are we praying to, teacher?") or prayers to non-Christian gods. Gee, I wonder what's left?

Next, he says, "As president, I'll end Obama's war on religion and I'll fight against liberal attacks on our Christian heritage."

First of all, there is no war on religion. This is Perry's third baldfaced lie uttered in a 30 second advertisement. There has not been one single piece of legislation - not a single one - out of Obama's office that can even be construed as a "war" on religion. No, Obama not mentioning God during his Thanksgiving speech doesn't count. It's amazing how a candidate for president can have the temerity to boldly proclaim something so utterly untrue on national television, but there it is. Anything to stir up Christians who are already looking for liberal persecution under every rock and behind every tree. What they should be looking for is truth and honesty from their leaders.

Finally, he concludes with, "Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

Every nation on the planet with the same degree of religiosity as America is essentially a Third World cesspool. America is an aberration, a statistical anomaly, for it would seem America is strong despite our faith, not because of it.

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Re: The Republican Party's political suicide

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Incidentally, Romney has promised to "undo everything Barack Obama has done as President".

So will he close Guantanamo, or re-establish it as an illegal hostage centre (center).

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Re: The Republican Party's political suicide

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 am

Buffett to Republicans: if you pay, so will I
Reuters – 1 hour 48 minutes ago

WASHINGTON/BOSTON (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is willing to put his money where his mouth is, if only congressional Republicans would join him.
The American billionaire investor, in the new issue of Time magazine, says he would donate $1 to paying down the national debt for every dollar donated by a Republican in Congress. The only exception is Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell - for whom Buffett said he would go $3-to-$1.

Full article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-gop-pay-211046623.html
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Walk the talk. Now that’s what I’m talking ‘bout!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 am

Speaking of "Donations", two years have now passed since the disastrous earthquake in Haiti, where thousands still live in tents.

Only HALF of the aid money promised two years ago has actually materialised. Promises are cheap.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:56 am

RockOnBrother wrote:
Buffett to Republicans: if you pay, so will I
Reuters – 1 hour 48 minutes ago

WASHINGTON/BOSTON (Reuters) - Warren Buffett is willing to put his money where his mouth is, if only congressional Republicans would join him.
The American billionaire investor, in the new issue of Time magazine, says he would donate $1 to paying down the national debt for every dollar donated by a Republican in Congress. The only exception is Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell - for whom Buffett said he would go $3-to-$1.

Full article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-gop-pay-211046623.html
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Walk the talk. Now that’s what I’m talking ‘bout!

Well I cannot see that happening every soon.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Read the thoughts of a disillusioned Republican:-
http://nymag.com/news/politics/conservatives-david-frum-2011-11/
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 pm

This choice quote from today's Sunday Times fits here because it's America, but could equally figure in the Economics or NHS British threads:

"John Hammergren, Chief Executive Office of the healthcare firm McKesson took home $145million in salary and options."

Are you salivating, Messrs. Cameron, Clegg and Lansley?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Read the thoughts of a disillusioned Republican:-
This guy could be writing my forum posts. Almost every last criticism I've made against conservatism has been addressed and verified by Mr. Frum. For me, it is a personal vindication. When writing a lot of political commentary - which I certainly do - it is sometimes necessary to turn that unforgiving microscope upon yourself. I try to avoid getting trapped in a little liberal bubble, and I have wondered and worried if my own views were not just as radical as theirs; perhaps I was only seeing the absolute worst of conservative Republicanism and painting with too large a brush.

When I read this article by David Frum, it dawned on me then that ... no, my views are not radical nor have my accusations against conservative Republicanism been unfounded. In fact, I couldn't have hit the bullseye any more accurately if I had walked up to the target and placed the arrow there by hand.

This part actually sent me into a peal of little girlish giggles:

"But the thought leaders on talk radio and Fox do more than shape opinion. Backed by their own wing of the book-publishing industry and supported by think tanks that increasingly function as public-relations agencies, conservatives have built a whole alternative knowledge system, with its own facts, its own history, its own laws of economics. Outside this alternative reality ..."

Mkitty and I have been aware of this "alternative reality" for a good number of years now, and we frequently reference it in our forum posts and in our personal conversations (we usually phone each other at least once a week).

The only difference is ... Mr. Frum is diplomatic enough to merely call it an "alternative reality." Mkitty and I have been calling it "Wackyland" for at least three years and counting. Hearing an actual conservative describe the same "alternative reality" that Mkitty and I have been joking about for years means that neither of us is very far off the mark - if we're off at all.

It is actually a relief in many respects knowing that my commentary and my distaste with conservatism really IS based on reality and not political brainwashing.

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Mitt Romney Sent Millions to Mormon Church

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Mitt Romney Sent Millions to Mormon Church
By MATTHEW MOSK and BRIAN ROSS | ABC News – Tue, Jan 17, 2012
(ABC News)

… the prominent… role that Mitt Romney played as a Mormon leader, the private equity giant once run by the GOP presidential frontrunner carved his church a slice of several of its most lucrative business deals… providing it with millions of dollars worth of stock in some of Bain Capital's most well-known holdings.

… the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints… requires that members "tithe," or give 10 percent of their income to the church.

… stock contributions made during Romney's Bain days suggest there is another dimension to Romney's support for the church… that could involve millions more than has been previously disclosed.

As part of just one Bain transaction in 2008, involving its investment in Burger King Holdings… an unnamed Bain partner donated 65,326 shares of Burger King stock to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, holdings then worth nearly $1.9 million… there were numerous others, giving the church a stake in… Domino's Pizza, the electronics manufacturer DDi, the phosphates company Innophos Holdings, and Marquee Holdings, the parent to AMC Theaters.

Full story:http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-sent-millions-mormon-church-193106008--abc-news.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Impressed' and 'Delighted' Warren Buffett Matches GOP Rep's Deficit Donations

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 am

'Impressed' and 'Delighted' Warren Buffett Matches GOP Rep's Deficit Donations
CNBC – 11 hours ago
3:11

Warren Buffett will be writing a check made out to the United States Treasury for just over $49,000 to help pay down the national debt.

He's matching voluntary contributions made this year and last year by Rep. Scott Rigell, a Republican representing Virginia.

In a letter to Rep. Rigell released today by Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett writes he's "particularly impressed that you took this action before my challenge."

Full story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/impressed-delighted-warren-buffett-matches-204656439.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Rick Perry to end presidential campaign

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Rick Perry to end presidential campaign
By Chris Moody | The Ticket – 32 mins ago

BLUFFTON, S.C. -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry plans to announce an end to his presidential campaign Thursday, Yahoo News has confirmed.

The announcement was first reported by CNN.

Perry will make the announcement at a press conference in Charleston, South Carolina at 11 a.m. and will endorse former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Politico reports.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cnn-rick-perry-end-campaign-141912141.html

Oh Happy Day!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:17 am

RockOnBrother wrote:
Rick Perry to end presidential campaign
By Chris Moody | The Ticket – 32 mins ago

BLUFFTON, S.C. -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry plans to announce an end to his presidential campaign Thursday, Yahoo News has confirmed.

The announcement was first reported by CNN.

Perry will make the announcement at a press conference in Charleston, South Carolina at 11 a.m. and will endorse former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Politico reports.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cnn-rick-perry-end-campaign-141912141.html

Oh Happy Day!

yep happy days indeed. just hope the rest of them lose as well in the big one. God they are so backward looking
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 am

Stox,

Only problem is that Pery is on his way back to Texas to plague us full time! Lawd hab mucy!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 am

RockOnBrother wrote:
Stox,

Only problem is that Pery is on his way back to Texas to plague us full time! Lawd hab mucy!

Rock
You poor guy. I feel so sorry for you Rock. out of interested who do you think will win the Rep race? have too say, I believe there are all a bit Crazy in the head too me. see Gingrrich won South Carolina Rock.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm

And you should see all their tax plans: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204224604577032192167011700.html

(well Santorum and Bachmann haven't released anything yet) and it was made in the middle of October, so there may be changes.

Note how they all lower rates for the wealthy and via "flat tax" and "consumption tax" raise how much the poor and middle class will pay.

Anyone here jumping for joy that the rich will pay even less? I mean don't people who shuffle capital gains deserve a break more than people who actually work?

And guess what, "Higher Deficits Seen in Romney’s Tax Plan, and His Rivals’, Too"
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/us/politics/romneys-tax-bill-and-gop-deficit-problems.html?_r=1

So what'll happen? Well, the rich will get lower tax rates (and not really hire anyone: See how well the Bush tax cuts did in 2009?), the middle class will pay more, and there will be some sort of "deficit crisis," and there will be cuts that will have to be made, and it'll mostly be social programs. So if this "starve the beast" cycle (tax cuts --> oh noez! we have a deficit --> cut social programs --> tax cuts) continues, by 2024, off the backs of the poor and middle class, the rich will be paid by the government to make money, or they'll boo-hoo because why should the "job creators" will have to pay a 5% tax. Meanwhile, consumption will plummet, causing more unemployment, too.

This is in "The Republican Party's political suicide" thread because nobody, except for a few on the far right are falling for it. When Congressmen were trying to sell The Ryan Bill (you remember, the one that dropped the tax rate for the rich to 25% and made gramma go out and buy insurance), they were soundly booed by their Republican constituents (not those anarchist libs) whenever the Congressperson mentioned the tax cut.

Sure, they're getting cheered in the primaries, but it's going to sink in the general election. I'm just curious as to how the Republican nominee is going to sell it. I'm guessing Romney will fare the worst (as a Richie Rich reticent in even revealing his returns, there's little chance he's going to sway anyone). Gingrich might do okay, but he'll probably come up with some random diversion (see: kids as school janitors) or rationalization. I don't know what anyone else would do.

So exhibit B is Republicans' tax codes.
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Empty Buffett Blames Congress for Romney's 15% Rate

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am

Buffett Blames Congress for Romney's 15% Rate
By Andrew Frye and Andrea Ludtke | Bloomberg – 5 hours ago

Warren Buffett, the billionaire calling for more taxes on the rich, said Mitt Romney's U.S. tax rate of about 15 percent reflects poor laws rather than failings by the candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

"It's the wrong policy to have," Buffett told Bloomberg Television's Betty Liu in an interview today. "He's not going to pay more than the law requires, and I don't fault him for that in the least. But I do fault a law that allows him and me earning enormous sums to pay overall federal taxes at a rate that's about half what the average person in my office pays."

Full article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-blames-congress-romneys-15-155000898.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Will Obama change this Law Rock? It would be a good sign to the electorate if he did

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Obama already tried to make US tax law fairer, in his first year. The Republicans fought him tooth and nail to maintain the status quo.

Better luck in his second term, eh?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm

blueturando wrote:
Will Obama change this Law Rock? It would be a good sign to the electorate if he did

He can't, Blue. Only Congress can change a law. Obama can encourage Congress to do so, and I agree that it would be a good thing to how the electorate that rich brats pay at least the same percentage of their easy money as the percentage I pay of my hard (earned) money.

Last edited by RockOnBrother on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 am

It would nice hey Rock, but it's sounds like youre not holding your breath on this one.
Let's hope that now Romney has had to come clean on his tax avoidance, that firstly he wont get elected and secondly there are enough waves made by the ordinary tax payer in the US to force congress to make a change to the law

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 am

blueturando wrote:
It would nice hey Rock, but it's sounds like youre not holding your breath on this one.

You're right. I don't want to suffocate surrounded by air.

blueturando wrote:
Let's hope that now Romney has had to come clean on his tax avoidance, that firstly he wont get elected and secondly there are enough waves made by the ordinary tax payer in the US to force congress to make a change to the law

If enough of us ("We the People", damnit) remember that the entire House is elected every two years, maybe we can send 'em a message in November of this year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 am

RockOnBrother wrote:
blueturando wrote:

He can't, Blue. Only Congress can change a law. Obama can encourage Congress to do so, and I agree that it would be a good thing to how the electorate that rich brats pay at least the same percentage of their easy money as the percentage I pay of my hard (earned) money.

it needs changing this Rock. just need a congress willing to change it. but your right, let hope November sends them a message that people are peed off with this.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Undo everything Barack Obama has done

Many of those need a bill from Congress. as long as there's 40 Democratic members in the Senate, that isn't going to happen. Plus there's a fair chance Republicans will lose the House because of how awful they're doing. Congressional approval rating is still hovering around 13% (Rasmussen actually has it at 5%, which is starting to hit the "margin of error" zone http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/congressional_performance)
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Trump endorsing Romney and Romney accepting it. No further explanations necessary.
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Romney is not a politician who lies to you ..................

"I'm not concerned about the very poor people"
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:16 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Romney is not a politician who lies to you ..................

"I'm not concerned about the very poor people"

Are we sure his name isn't Cameromney...? Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:08 pm

During our Superbowl halftime, Clint Eastwood starred in a two minute halftime commercial It's halftime in America. It was just how it's halftime and if in America, and if Americans are knocked down, they get back up, etc.

But the Republicans had a real big hissy fit over it.

Republican Karl Rove Labels Clint Eastwood Chrysler Commercial an Obama Ad, Most Taxpayers Don't

Here's what Karl Rove said:

"I was frankly offended by it. I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood. I thought it was an extremely well done ad. But it is a sign of what happens when you have Chicago-style politics,” Rove said. “The President of the United States' political minions are, in essence, using our tax dollars to buy corporate advertising and the best wishes of the management, which has benefited by getting a bunch of our money that they'll never pay back.”

What makes that absolutely ludicrous is that it was Clint Eastwood who starred in it. He never voted Democrat in his life, here he is standing by Ronald Reagan:
The Republican Party's political suicide - Page 2 Clint-eastwood

who said ""I have my veto pen drawn and ready for any tax increase that Congress might even think of sending up. And I have only one thing to say to the tax increasers: Go ahead, make my day." h

In fact, George Bush Almost Asked Clint Eastwood To Be His Vice-President

But despite all that evidence to the contrary, Rove thinks Eastwood is a minion of Obama, because if anyone dares say our situation is improving at all, they EVEN CLINT EASTWOOD, must be a rabid Obama supporter. This is the most desperate and tin foily case of Obama derangement syndrome in a while. I have to admit Karl Rove made my day. Smile cat
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Let's not lose sight of the fact that these Republican candidates are ultimately seeking ELECTION, i.e. voter approval. If the Good Ole Boys of America are strong enough to reject Obama, they will do so. It's called Democracy, the Will of the People. Even if The People are all certifiable that makes no difference in a Democratic election.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm

If the Good Ole Boys of America are strong enough to reject Obama, they will do so. It's called Democracy, the Will of the People. Even if The People are all certifiable that makes no difference in a Democratic election.
It takes a well-informed, well-educated population to participate in a well-governed democracy. If a candidate is to be elected, electing him based on anything other than factual information leads to the degradation of said democracy. If a candidate is elected based on lies, deceit, and fear-mongering, then it is likely we can expect four years of lies, deceit, and fear-mongering from that particular administration. If they cannot be honest about the reasons why we should vote for them, how can we expect them to be honest about their politics?

Mkitty and I are always revealing the right-wing lies ... I mean bald-faced lies, not honest mistakes ... that help convince the population to vote for their cause. Once the lies are discovered, they're already in power. When the foundation of your platform is nothing but fluff and air, democracy is already threatened.

There was a case not long ago involving Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan and the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). Fox News tried to propagandize the American public by saying the Constitution said that Kagan was required to "recuse" herself from ruling on the constitutionality of the Act - in other words, Fox News was trying to say that Kagan could not rule on it because of a conflict of interest.

But that's not the real issue. The real issue is that Fox News claimed the Constitution required Kagan to withdraw from the case based on Article 28, Section 144.

Except there is no "Article 28, Section 144" in the Constitution ... at all. There are only 7 articles, and none of them contain more than 10 sections. Nor does the language contained within this fictitious "Article 28, Section 144" exist anywhere else in the Constitution, either.

That is called a lie. If Americans believe Fox News, then their opinions are based on lies - and so are their votes.

It goes without saying that Elena Kagan is a liberal judige.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Interesting Shirina!!

Is there no-one prepared to take on Fox Gnus which I believe is a Murdoch tentacle. We have overmuch of him here in UK, and OK, his juggernaught is too big to halt ina TV programme, but should these (media) lies not be displayed to the public with trumpets playing and symbals clanging?
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Is there no-one prepared to take on Fox Gnus which I believe is a Murdoch tentacle.
Interestingly, Canada passed a law some time ago stating that news programs are prohibited from lying or delivering false reports. Subsequently, Fox News has been banned in Canada.

Unfortunately, America is not nearly so prudent.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Astra,

It's Faux News.

Article III says all that is said about Supreme Court Justices.

Article III - The Judicial Branch

Section 1

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section 2

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State; between Citizens of different States; between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.) (This section in parentheses is modified by the 11th Amendment (modified by Amendment 11)).

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section 3

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

No "recuse" mentioned.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Here is a list of 100 things you can say to irritate a Republican:-

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2011/08/13/100-things-you-can-say-to-irritate-a-republican/
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by astra Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 am

Bottom line? If you want to anger a conservative, tell them the truth.

Heee Heee Heee

G'night all!!
astra
astra
Deceased

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

The Republican Party has been immobilised by its disbelief that Obama was ever elected President. Their only policy has been to erase his proposed changes.

Simply opposing for the sake of dissent will probably not convince the American Voters that the situation needs to be reversed.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 am

oftenwrong wrote:The Republican Party has been immobilised by its disbelief that Obama was ever elected President. Their only policy has been to erase his proposed changes.

Simply opposing for the sake of dissent will probably not convince the American Voters that the situation needs to be reversed.

The more I see and Read about the Republican party them more amazed I am that anyone who is not ill in the head could ever vote for them. by the time they get too Obama they will of cut each other to bits. to me the Repubican's sound like drunks fighting over a bed in the flophouse
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Simply opposing for the sake of dissent will probably not convince the American Voters that the situation needs to be reversed

I think we are seeing the same here in the UK. In reality the Coalition should be miles behind in the polls, but they're not and I believe this has a lot to do with opposing for opposing sake....the people don't buy it!

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Purely opportunistic opposition is almost always a mistake. But there was nobody more guilty of that very strategy as Cameron and his fellow vermin up to May 2010. Adding hypocrisy to it now simply makes them what they are : a poisonous and corrupt bunch who should be kept as far from power as a naked flame from petrol...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.
Who let them in again, I thought we'd settled their hash in 1997.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah, so you say.

I bet you snuck into that Polling Booth back in May 2010 and supported the blue-rosetted one , then set off home, pausing only to salve your conscience by buying a Daily Mirror and whistling the Red Flag ( out of tune)...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm

But the TORIES SENT A CAR for me.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mkitty Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm

*** we interrupt this thread with a Republican candidate saying the truth Shocked ***

"Oops, Mitt Romney Slips & Tells The Truth That Spending Cuts Hurt Economic Growth"
http://egbertowillies.com/2012/02/21/oops-mitt-romney-slips-tells-the-truth-that-spending-cuts-hurt-economic-growth/

Every so often, Romney, in his carefully propogandized messages, reveals the truth. He really isn't concerned about poor people. unless you consider his plans for the poor to pay for the tax cuts to the wealthy "concern." Of course now that's out, Republicans of the "cut and grow" philosophy are on damage control duty, mostly with their version of "nuh-uh." They can't counter that claim with facts, because they're basically espousing a "up is down" sort of philosophy and facts, explanations, or even simple logic make Conservatives' heads hurty! Me want easy to swallow catch phrase now!

Anyways, I imagine Romney will soon tell everyone he misspoke, Gingrich caved in when he told the truth about the Ryan plan. In fact, "Newt Gingrich: 'Any ad which quotes what I said on Sunday is a falsehood'" http://www.polderdash.com/2011/05/gingrich-quoting-me-is-lying-about-me/

But basically it's political suicide for the party when someone in it is chastised by them for telling the truth.
Mkitty
Mkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next