Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does any religion matter at all today?

+30
Dr Sheldon Cooper PhD
Jsmythe
mmhmm
skwalker1964
KnarkyBadger
boatlady
methought
Tosh
Adele Carlyon
Blamhappy
tlttf
sickchip
trevorw2539
polyglide
snowyflake
astradt1
weltschmerz
Phil Hornby
whitbyforklift
witchfinder
keenobserver1
LWS
bobby
blueturando
Penderyn
Ivan
astra
oftenwrong
Shirina
Stox 16
34 posters

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 17 Empty Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by Stox 16 Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I will be interested to read peoples thoughts on this question. Does any Religion matter at all today?

I cannot see that any religious church's or anything religious even matters today at all. The only true religion I have ever come across is, Money, Political Power, Land, and greed. all the things we are told they are against, this goes for all religions too in my view.

in fact all the faiths I have come across use all of the tools of money, political power, Land and greed to re-force there religious views on there followers. i have never come across any religion that does not use at least one of this tools to enforce there religious views on the people they are said to be looking after.

I have read over the years all the religious books i can find, and have yet too be moved by any of them. some have very good stories that have something in them for every reader. but their it ends for me. maybe someone can explain why any of this is so important today? as i cannot find anything within the books that states this is very important today or in the past. I myself have come to believe that religion has more to do with the thought of death or dying and the human need to believe that life goes on after death.

However, when we was all born we did not feel pain or come into being with some religious thought in our heads or a book in our hands did we? in fact we had know idea about religion at all? so only find out what religion we are when someone tells us that this is our religion? yet you would think we would all know this already if there was a god? So we only find out what our religion is after birth? or do you believe you know what you religion was before birth? (i did not) if someone told me i was a follower of Islam, I would of said OK at five years old. in fact they could of given me any religion and i would of said fine.

So religion seems to me, religion only matters a get deal more the older you get? so I am told, well if so its failing on me badly. so anyway, it matter more as you get closer to death then? so is this more to do with our human need for life to go on somehow? as we find it hard to believe that life comes to an end and we go into darkness of no mans land? just like before we was born?

I was told at about 6 years old by my mother that this was my faith. but in total truth my mother could of said any faith was my religion and i would of gone along with what she said. To me that was it, Its that simple then. i did not then think about anything religious till i was in the Army in standing in a street in the middle of green line in a war zone in the Lebanon. with both Christains killing, Muslims Killing, Catholic Maronite's Killing, Druze faith Killing, Jewish killing. at first wondering why they was all doing this? not for religion or faith but power and using religion to justify there actions. I remember thinking. just suppose these people had been given a different religion by there mothers. they would instead of killing as a Maronite gunman they would of been killing Maronite's as a Druze gunman?

So your religion is picked for you in my view and some even change it too. yet you would think if you know your god at your death. you should know who you god is before birth? but we do not. So does any of this really matter any more?

well i well be interrested to read your thought on this. its not about any one religion but all of them.
Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 17 Empty Re: Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by Tosh Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm

What we do know is that at some time all the vegitation was through some event burried at depths in excess of a mile deep, along with the dinosaurs demise.

Some event ?

You mean like a great flood lololol ?

Tosh

Back to top Go down

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 17 Empty Re: Does any religion matter at all today?

Post by snowyflake Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm

How nice when you can talk on behalf of the world choose how wrong you are.
I don't think I spoke on behalf of anyone but myself.
Snowyflake, I have more friends from all walks of life than you will ever have.
The relevance of this boastful phrase eludes me as well.

Those whose interests I looked after at work would do anything for me without being requested if they thought I needed any help.
Backhanders eh? Smile
The many disabled I enjoy providing entertainment for would also do anything in their power for me.

More boasting....
I have friends in many parts of the world, some who beg to differ with my beliefs, one in particular who wrote many articles on his subject was an athiest through and through but after many discussions I was delighted when in one of his last articles before he died he said, I do not have the answer but I know for sure it is not evolution.

I doubt it.

That made my day.

Pride goeth before the fall, polyglide.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Snowyflake, I have more friends from all walks of life than you will ever have.

Isn't the internet grand? You can say or be anything you want here. Mickey Mouse, Elizabeth II, Bill Gates, a secret government operative, a karate expert, a constitutional lawyer, a very wealthy business owner, or even a popular guy with more friends than people you don't even know could possibly ever have!

You'll have to excuse me while I turn into a Nobel-winning author, the identity I use on another board.

*poof*

*polishes Nobel prize*
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Apparently, belief in God isn't enough delusion for polyglide. Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

The only reason I gave the actual FACTS regarding my standing with friends was in reply to Snowyflakes claim that no one would want dinner with me.

Now in my opinion, no one, does not mean just Snowyflake.

As in all instances she does not actually understand what she is saying, just waffles on.

I have no reason whatsoever to tell a lie regarding my friends and I cannot help it if you are unable, because you have none, to accept the facts.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Your total lack of understanding of the written word is more and more obvious after each post you make.

Please pay more attention to what is said and meant, instead of trying to put your own misinterpretation into it.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

I have no reason whatsoever to tell a lie regarding my friends and I cannot help it if you are unable, because you have none, to accept the facts.

You only have the right to express your OWN standing with YOUR friends.

You do NOT have the right to tell OTHERS what standing THEY have with THEIR friends.

Unless you're some kind of stalker, you aren't in a position to know.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

I see where the misunderstanding happened. Polyglide posted this:

According to one wag we are related to cabbages on that basis I could introduce him to many other relatives at Sunday lunch.

Snowyflake posted this:
No one wants to meet your family. Smile

I was thinking I was being quite clever by subtly (very subtly apparently) suggesting that polyglides family were cabbages but this apparently went over his head (haha pardon the pun)

The only reason I gave the actual FACTS regarding my standing with friends was in reply to Snowyflakes claim that no one would want dinner with me.

I never said no one wants to have dinner with you. I said no one wants to meet your family (who are cabbages.....)

It's not funny when you gotta spell it out for everyone. Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

As in all instances she does not actually understand what she is saying, just waffles on.

To be fair, I am a waffler. I can waffle on for hours. I have my wafflology papers and a degree in wafflology. Completely and utterly devoted to waffling. On Sundays, I blueberry waffle and don't get me started on Christmas waffling where the family gets together for a wafflethon and watch Waffleball on the wafflebox.....

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 pm

I studied wafflology in Belgium.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Ahh the famed Waffletechnique in Waffletwerp Smile
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Waffletwerp ... LOL! .... that just sounds funny.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 pm

I have more friends from all walks of life than you will ever have.

They are not friends, they are fellow patients, there is a difference.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 am

There is a big difference between thinking you are funny and intelligent than being so, a prime example, Tosh.

I doubt if he understands what frienship means.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

Far better to have a cabbage as a relative than a TURNIP.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 am

There is a big difference between thinking you are funny and intelligent than being so, a prime example, Tosh.

Sure, now get back to your butterfly theory, it has me rolling in the aisles.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

The butterfly will soon be emerging from the winter hybernation, a procees that is beyond belief when all that it entails is taken into consideration.

Wrapped in a self made protection which enabled it to withstand freezing weather and all that winter threw at it will emerge as a beautiful animal,
it will go only to the plant which God created it to and do the work God intended it to do.

Within a few days it will either be eaten by a predetor or die of natural causes.

All a seemingly long process for such a short life.

However, without the butterfly many species of vegitation would not survive and this is proof that God designed everything for a purpose.

No evolution process would account for the life of the butterfly.

Now are you happy TOsh?
All that it involves
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm

No evolution process would account for the life of the butterfly.

Evolution is the process that accounts for the life of the butterfly and all living organisms, which part of common ancestry do you not comprehend ?
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Wrapped in a self made protection which enabled it to withstand freezing weather and all that winter threw at it will emerge as a beautiful animal

The fact that a caterpillar can change into a butterfly only proves that animals CAN change radically within the boundaries of nature. This is a strong case for evolution.

Unless you're trying to say that God himself magically changes each and every caterpillar into a butterfly.

I REALLY hope you don't say that.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

The butterfly will soon be emerging from the winter hybernation, a procees that is beyond belief when all that it entails is taken into consideration.

Just because you cannot understand the science or the biology behind it doesn't mean it's not a fact. Are you a scientist? Do you have a scientific background? Do you understand the scientific method and the null hypothesis? If you answer no to these questions, how can you then say that you know better than science? How arrogant can you get?

What is your profession, polyglide? I am willing to bet that whatever it was you worked at it for a period of time and gained some expertise in it (i'm guessing). Would you not consider it the heighth of stupidity for someone to come along with no experience or education in your field and tell you how to do your job? Or worse, think they know better than you do? Well, this is your attitude to science. You haven't got the education or background to argue sensibly about any scientific subject.

Try to stick with what you know. Please.
snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Does any religion matter at all today?  - Page 17 BJC-smbCUAAKWIm
Source: twimg.com
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Will Twitter ever admit that it is a Publisher?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Ivan,

Y’shua is Semitic. That gorgeous painting of an Italian has about as much chance of depicting Y’shua’s appearance as I have of making it into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

The life cycle of the butterfly is indicative of a intelligent creator who realised that the flowers and other needs had to be met iF NATURE WAS TO FUNCTION.

This could not have come about by any random set of events, we could not re plicate it evn with all our so thought superior knowledge.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:04 pm

If the idiot who keeps deleteing my posts half way through would just go and find another source of amusement I would appreciate it.

The truth hurts I know.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 pm

The life cycle of the butterfly is indicative of a intelligent creator who realised that the flowers and other needs had to be met iF NATURE WAS TO FUNCTION.

Well now, this is interesting. Are you suggesting that God has to play by the rules of nature?

This could not have come about by any random set of events, we could not re plicate it evn with all our so thought superior knowledge.

So when someone wins the lottery, the odds are so long that God MUST have chosen that person to win. Is that how it works?

If the idiot who keeps deleteing my posts half way through would just go and find another source of amusement I would appreciate it.

No one is deleting your posts. If you're having issues, you're experiencing a glitch.

Even we admins can't delete posts "halfway through." It's not as though we can watch you type.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:23 pm

You know full well Shirina that evolution is not what created life, you are just unwilling to consider someone more intelligent and of a nature that we cannot comprehend.

There have been many such instances regarding many other things that in the end have a very simple and logical reason and when God decides to let us know the answers to all things we will think what a set of idiots we are.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by snowyflake Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

You know full well Shirina that evolution is not what created life, you are just unwilling to consider someone more intelligent and of a nature that we cannot comprehend.

Shirina questions and wants to see the evidence, whereas you just accept what some poxy minister tells you is written in an ancient story book. You don't question. And worse you deny the evidence and think you know better than experts in their fields. Even when the evidence is practically spoon fed to you, you turn a blind eye to it because it doesn't jive with your belief and apocolyptic world view. There is no help for you. You cannot and will not listen or learn. You haven't the will. The mind of the believer is closed to evidence that denies God's existence or influence in this world. The mind of the believer is closed to truth.

snowyflake
snowyflake

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm

You know full well Shirina that evolution is not what created life

You're right, I do ... considering evolution explains the diversity of life, not the origin of it.

you are just unwilling to consider someone more intelligent and of a nature that we cannot comprehend.

I consider the existence of more advanced, more intelligent extraterrestrial life quite often. At least there is evidence for that.

and when God decides to let us know the answers to all things we will think what a set of idiots we are.

Science has been making idiots out of believers for hundreds of years.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

No Shirina, sciene has been making an idiot of scientists ever since they proposed the earth was flat.

However, lets not start behaving like Tosh and why not settle one thing at a time in a proper manner?.

I believe in God.

I believe he made man perfect and gave him the free will to choose.

I can see all the evil in the world and it becomes difficult to associate thiiiis with a loving God, I concede this.

However, I always like to give a simple illustration of why I believe in anything.

A machine is made and the manufacturer states that it must be uased in a certain manner or it will go wrong.

Tho people obtain a sample of the machine.

One does exactly as instructed.

The other is told by another person that he is wasting his time doing what the manufacturer says and he knows a better way that will give more enjoyment and cost a lot less effort.

Now the second person takes notice of the latter and his machine malfunctions.

Now Shirina, can you blame the manufacturer?.

polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 am

No Shirina, sciene has been making an idiot of scientists ever since they proposed the earth was flat.

Modern science hadn't been invented yet, or perhaps, more to the point, that which makes science viable had been lost during the Dark Ages. Remember that the ancient Greeks had already discovered the earth was round by measuring shadows in wells and the shadows of Egyptian obelisks 800 miles apart. Then the Catholic Church came to power ...

Now Shirina, can you blame the manufacturer?

Actually, yes. You see, the problem with your illustration is that, in the case of your religion, the manufacturer not only created the machine, he also created the USER of the machine. Since it was fully in God's power to create a human that wouldn't screw things up, God bears the weight of the responsibility. Humans are only doing what we are supposed to do. Why, for instance, would God kill 46 children for making fun of Elijiah, but not kill Satan? It's all a big set-up and, admittedly, a good one considering roughly 3 billion people have been hoodwinked into believing this malarky.

Believe it or not, I think humanity is heading in the right direction. No, we're not perfect beings, we're going to make mistakes, we're going to commit crimes, we won't always do the right thing. But with every new generation, our world becomes a more peaceful place. More people than ever in human history are now sleeping in warm beds with full bellies without warfare raging outside their doors. The fewer people living in need, the less likely the chance for barbarity. Only in the most religious nations is there any real strife - and that includes the United States which still struggles with the need for nationalized health care and a political system that demands its leaders be Protestant Christians.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 am

God exists because of butterflies and a flat earth, this person is simply deranged.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have no intention of replying any more to the ramblings of a halfwit, I have proven beyond doubt that Tosh cannot reply in any sensible manner to any post, he is also unable to match my replies regarding put downs he is a lost cause and I will not waste any more time on him.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 am

However, I always like to give a simple illustration of why I believe in anything.

Let me translate this: You like to believe in simple things, this illustrates you have the mind of a simpleton.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

I have no intention of replying any more to the ramblings of a halfwit, I have proven beyond doubt that Tosh cannot reply in any sensible manner to any post, he is also unable to match my replies regarding put downs he is a lost cause and I will not waste any more time on him.

You haven't proven anything except your inability to accept or even understand evidence, this renders any opinion as delusional.

Dream on my friend, dream on.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am

You know full well Shirina that evolution is not what created life,

Seriously how many times does this complete cretin need to be told something before it actually sinks in, there is no other explanation for this amnesia, this chap is handicapped.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed May 01, 2013 11:45 am

You have not answerd my question Shirina.

You have come up with another question.

The reply being.

God created the earth for man to enjoy all it had to offer.

He created man in a perfect manner.

He gave him the power of choice or he would have been a robot.

Unfortunately, there was also the Devil about.

The Devil representing the person who new better than the manufacturer.

How fairer could God have been?
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by polyglide Wed May 01, 2013 11:52 am

The world is in a far worse staet than ever before.

We have children starving in the most so called civilised countries.

Only today more reports of perverts using and abusing children.

|Murders are a daily event.

Drugs are becoming the norm for those unable to deal with their life.

Suicides are reported on a daily basis with many unable to deal with the present circumstances.

One child evry second is dies because no one cares.

The list is endless.
polyglide
polyglide

Back to top Go down

Post by Tosh Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Nothing to do with fortune, according to you god created everything including the devil.
Tosh
Tosh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm

You have not answerd my question Shirina.

Yes, in fact, I have.

God created the earth for man to enjoy all it had to offer.

Including the yersinia pestis bacteria which, by the way, you've never explained how it was 'misused' in 1348.

He created man in a perfect manner.

Obviously that isn't true or Eve wouldn't have torn after the forbidden fruit like an arrow from a bow.

He gave him the power of choice or he would have been a robot.

No, he just wants us to choose to be a robot, but the end result is the same - just a bunch of automotons singing his praises.

Why? Why is the Devil about? I've always found it a ludicrous concept for God to let Satan roam around with impunity while blaming humanity for the results. If God really wanted us to freely choose between good and evil, the least he could do is take his thumb off the scale by removing the Devil from the equation. But oh no ... can't have a level playing field. Nope.

How fairer could God have been?

By not putting the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden, for starters. If there just HAD to be a forbidden fruit to begin with, God could have put it anywhere. He could have put it in the core of Jupiter or in another dimension, but in his "infinite wisdom" decided to put it right under Adam and Eve's noses. Yeah, that's fair.

Oh yeah, how about killing off Satan. That would have been more fair. The relationship between God, Satan, and Humanity is like someone (God) who is mad at his friend (Satan) so comes home and kicks the dog (Humanity).

Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirina Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm

The world is in a far worse staet than ever before.

Your arch-nemesis, Mr. Evidence, says otherwise.

We have children starving in the most so called civilised countries.

No one in the West is literally starving. I came from starvation and this ain't it. Even so, it used to be that EVERYONE was starving aside from kings, nobility, pharaohs, sultans, sheiks, and emperors. It used to be that entire civilizations were one late spring frost away from annihilation. Just ask the French what happened to them during the Little Ice Age.

Only today more reports of perverts using and abusing children.

Are you aware of precisely why we have perverts in modern society? The word "pervert" used to only apply to those who abandoned Christianity. It wasn't until 1897 when the word was first used to describe sexual deviants. Do you have a clue why? Care to take a guess? It was because only in MODERN society did children have any real rights. Even in the United States, the age of consent was seven (7) years old just 120 years ago, and in Europe, it was even lower. There was no such thing as "pedophilia" and it certainly wasn't a crime until very recently. This is proof beyond all doubt that things are NOT worse now than before. You aren't going to find police reports of pedophilia 150 years ago because it didn't exist - not because adults didn't have sex with children but because it wasn't a crime.

Murders are a daily event.

When has that NOT been true? You can't even get 5 pages into the Bible before Cain is murdering Abel.

Drugs are becoming the norm for those unable to deal with their life.

All drugs were legal up until the modern era, another indication that we're heading in the right direction. US Presidents were often treated medically with narcotics right on up through Franklin Roosevelt, and Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine as an ingredient! If things are getting worse, why are drugs illegal when the used to be available practically off the shelf at any local DRUG store?

Suicides are reported on a daily basis with many unable to deal with the present circumstances.

Up until recently, people often didn't even live long enough to get sick of life.

One child evry second is dies because no one cares.

Then women living in impoverished Third World nations should stop having 8 children in the hopes that one survives past infancy. It's not always the fault of apathy or people not caring.
Shirina
Shirina
Former Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next