Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iain Duncan Smith

+24
Ivan
oftenwrong
Claudine
starlight07
Norm Deplume
stuart torr
ghost whistler
Dan Fante
buckspygmy
methought
Bellatori
blueturando
Phil Hornby
sickchip
Mel
Deadly Nightshade
Redflag
bobby
boatlady
skwalker1964
tlttf
Red Cat Woman
Stox 16
astradt1
28 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 Empty Is it right for the Tories to redefine poverty?

Post by astradt1 Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is this government right to set out a new criteria by which poverty in Britain is measured or is it just a case of moving the goal posts to help them meet a target?

astradt1
astradt1

Back to top Go down

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 Empty Re: Iain Duncan Smith

Post by blueturando Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 am

Deleted. Yet another thoroughly unjustified and inaccurate complaint which should have been made in a PM.
Ivan.

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 am

oftenwrong wrote:There is comfort to be found in the likelihood that many Tory Party supporters must be hideously embarrassed to find themselves linked with such as IDS.

Come the general election OW that is going to get worse when the Tories find themselves linked to FARAGE & UKIP
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 am

We don't even need to wait that long, Red.

Elections to the European Parliament will be held in all member states of the European Union (EU) between 22 and 25 May 2014.

Many clichés will apply: Cat among the pigeons, Sh1t or bust!, Birds of a feather, Softly, softly, Takes one to know one, etc., etc.

It's the Referendum that everyone says they want. Don't they?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm

It's the Referendum that everyone says they want. Don't they?
That was tongue-in-cheek, I presume! Very Happy

1% of voters regard the EU as "the most important issue" facing Britain (compared to apparently 90% of Tory backbenchers) and just 7% regard it as "one of the most important issues".

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/tories-have-descended-madness-europe-labour-should-leave-them-it

Now please let's get back to our genial friend IDS, before we get attacked again by one of the usual suspects for "going off topic ALL the time with little or nothing said".......Crying or Very sad
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Iain Duncan Smith's Great-Grandmother was Japanese.

Don't know whether that's on topic or not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/sep/03/conservatives.uk
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Iain Duncan Smith's Great-Grandmother was Japanese.

Don't know whether that's on topic or not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/sep/03/conservatives.uk

We have all heard about the cruelty from the Japanese during the second world war OW so maybe that explains his NASTINESS ?
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Iain Duncan Smith's Great-Grandmother was Japanese.

No!!
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 am

"self-servatives" is about right. He and that Lord Freud are cruel uncaring and worthless. Pike Staffs come to mind.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am

Mel wrote:"self-servatives" is about right. He and that Lord Freud are cruel uncaring and worthless. Pike Staffs come to mind.

Mel I am certain we could put those Pike Staffs to better use, like ramming them up where the sun don't shine on IBS and Lord Freud.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 am

Red, I wrote to my local MP (Lib Dem) about my disabled brother being railroaded to attend an ATOS appointment. I asked many questions about the affects that Welfare Reforms are having on mentally handicapped people and the inplications of suicide.

I eventually received a pathetic reply of nothing but waffle.
A complete and utter waste of time.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 am

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Mel wrote:Red, I wrote to my local MP (Lib Dem) about my disabled brother being railroaded to attend an ATOS appointment.  I asked many questions about the affects that Welfare Reforms are having on mentally handicapped people and the inplications of suicide.

I eventually received a pathetic reply of nothing but waffle.
A complete and utter waste of time.

I do not think ramming a Pike Staff up where the sun don't shine would not help Mel, it would help me to feel better plus it would be a while before any of them could sit down without being in pain and suffering.

Did you expect anything but Pathetic from a Lib-Dem Mel the whole lot of them lack BACKBONE of any shape or form.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 Empty Referred to a psychologist - for wanting to record Jobcentre interviews

Post by skwalker1964 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 am

Original including links at http://wp.me/p2sftc-8QG

My series of posts about the fake psychometric ‘test’ and the DWP/Cabinet Office’s attempts to deny it, became big news earlier this year. Among the facts that the DWP denied, then admitted, then denied again and admitted again, were:

- they were threatening jobseekers with benefit sanction if they refused to participate
- that no qualified psychologists were involved in the decision to threaten potentially-vulnerable into becoming guinea-pigs
- that no training was given to Jobcentre Plus (JCP) advisers in how to select people for the test beyond telling them to do it
- that the experiment had been subjected to none of the usual validations or safeguards

and more. The whole thing stank of the contemptuous, reckless attitude of the DWP and the Cabinet Office’s ‘Nudge Unit’ toward unemployed people.

It turns out that the psychological abuse of jobseekers – and the abuse of psychology by the government – are by no means limited to the fake test.

Disability benefit claimants are able to ask for their Work Capability Assessments (WCA – usually conducted by Atos) interviews and assessments to be recorded. The DWP’s guidance states that claimants do not have a legal right to record, but that

all requests will be accommodated where possible
The guidance also states that recording requests should always be submitted in advance, and that

Although this may slow down the benefit process it will not affect your entitlement to benefit.
(More on WCA recordings here if you need it).

Many disabled people have complained that obstacles are placed in the way of any wish to record Atos assessments. But if you’re not disabled and are simply unemployed, it appears that these commonsense rules do not even apply in theory. On the contrary, if you ask to record your JCP interviews, it appears you are likely to be labelled psychologically unstable – and deprived of your benefits.

A jobseeker has forwarded me a copy of correspondence sent to them because they insisted that they wished to record their interviews at the JCP – a request which is more than reasonable in a context of such ridiculous decisions as sanctioning a claimant for attending a job interview – something so ridiculous that even the Daily Mail condemned it!

The two documents in question are quite stunning in what they demonstrate about how claimants are regarded and treated by many within the benefits system under this government. Here’s the main letter:

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 063-copy1

The claimant was referred to a ‘work psychologist’ simply for wanting to record his/her JCP interviews. The psychologist – contrary to the guidance given to disabled people – states that the request to have interviews recorded is impacting on benefit entitlement, a thinly-veiled threat that the claimant will be sanctioned or have his/her claim discontinued if s/he refused to stop asking. The claimant is then asked to sign and return the following ‘reply slip’:

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 064-copy

A stark choice: attend the ‘discussion’ and agree not to record it, or don’t agree – and don’t attend (with obvious consequences for the continuation of benefits.

Each time I think it couldn’t be plainer that this government despises the unemployed and has set up the system to torture them, it turns out I’m wrong. But it’s very, very evident that our current excuse for ‘leadership’ considers psychological abuse a perfectly acceptable measure to take against jobseekers for even the most reasonable requests – or for that matter, just for existing.
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 am

Iain Duncan Smith has denied that his flagship scheme to overhaul the benefits system has been an “IT disaster”, as he blamed civil servants who “just wanted to say it was all going well”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10288026/Iain-Duncan-Smith-denies-Universal-Credit-is-an-IT-disaster.html
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 am

oftenwrong wrote:Iain Duncan Smith has denied that his flagship scheme to overhaul the benefits system has been an “IT disaster”, as he blamed civil servants who “just wanted to say it was all going well”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10288026/Iain-Duncan-Smith-denies-Universal-Credit-is-an-IT-disaster.html

It appears that IDS was supposed to appear before the Work & Pensions committee yesterday 4th Setember to explain his stats, so knowing he would be hauled over the coals for lying about the stats he made an excuse up to avoid the mauling and has changed his appearance to October but even that is not definate. There is a report in todays paper by the National Audit Office which says Bedroom Tax is costing more than it is saving, and Universal Credit is in dire trouble and it could be 2017 before it comes out.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Wonder if anyone is logging the costs of austerity (£300,000,000 + for new computer equipment, including £34,000,000 that has to be written off because it's no use)
As reported on Radio 4 news this morning - haven't checked the figures as yet.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 pm

The history of IT in Government lists a series of disasters, over-runs and write-offs stretching backwards from today to a time when British computers were manufactured by a company called Ferranti.

Anyone care to hazard a guess how long ago that was?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm

1765?Laughing 
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:04 pm

This Tory led so called Coalition has and will continue to waste taxpayers money on the road to destroy anything brought in by any past Labour government that assists the poor the sick and the needy. Whilst on the other hand looking after themselves and their rich friends by way of wealth transfer from bottom to top.
It should be as plain as a pike staff to the electorate. I fear many do not get it or perhaps just do not care.
Thatcher's doctrine continued, dog eat dog and i'm alright Jack, i'm afraid.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am

Well said Mel I agree with your summary, it will just make Eds job that bit harder in 2015 but then he needs to show the public every nasty bill that him and Cleggy put through the H.O.C, which private company got it and its relationship to the Tory party or how much they had donated to the Tory party before they got the contract, but they will need to show the paper work to prove it.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Iain Duncan Smith - Page 3 Empty "Compassionate Conservatism"

Post by sickchip Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

More evidence of that the tories are sadistic and deliberately disenfranchising many of the means to progress their lives.

This is truly sickening stuff, and there must surely be some law against human rights being broke.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/duncan-smith-poverty-benefit-sanctions-easterhouse
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Lovely article. I was particularly touched by the bit "Tim Montgomerie, founder of ConservativeHome and now the Times comment editor, arranged that visit as Duncan Smith's adviser. When Holman asked why, he was told: "We're interested in compassionate Conservatism.""

However they all went for a lie down in a darkened room, took a couple of aspirins and the feeling passed...

Bellatori
Banned

http://www.bellatori.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Mel wrote:It's a bloody joke chip, except it's not at all funny if you get my drift.
After I wrote my last post I glanced up and saw this. I thought that if I finished my post with --- This really is very funny so why aren't we all laughing? --- it might be construed as tasteless so I left it off. But as you say, its true. So why aren't we all laughing?

Bellatori
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm

I wasn't aware that anyone doubted that Duncan Smith was a despicable and cruel individual who revels in creating misery for the type of people who cannot fight back. The only question is just HOW much does he enjoy it?

With those credentials he is surely destined to be a Tory hero...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 pm

"He wept at the plight of the poor, yet now hands out punishments that must bring tears to their eyes."

sickchip. Thanks for bringing that excellent article by Polly Toynbee to our attention. I suspect that some of our members don’t always bother to click on and read links in posts, so I thought I’d post a few extracts from that one to whet people’s appetites:-

In the last three months the government boasts of 120,000 fewer unemployed claimants, in contrast with the much larger numbers shown in the internationally recognised labour force survey of numbers wanting work. It's a win-win for Duncan Smith, who can pretend that all who have left the register are working, although many are now queuing at food banks.

Duncan Smith's sanctions cause a special kind of hell for jobcentre staff. A regular ‘deep throat’ correspondent describes the work: "Sanctions are applied for anything at all to hit the targets. People are often sanctioned for a no-show at appointments they never knew about. If they call to rearrange an appointment, we don't answer the phones, so that's a bit tricky. Someone with a disability who is knocked off ESA can reclaim while awaiting an appeal. But we are explicitly forbidden from telling them that.”

A flowchart on the wall shows how to raise a successful sanction. A "PIP" (personal improvement plan) for each member of staff detects low sanctioners and "manages them out" of their jobs.

Advisers are so busy knocking off easy, vulnerable cases that they have no time to chase up devious criminal gangs and fraudsters who take longer to catch. Meanwhile, out of fear or confusion, many stop trying to claim, only to have Duncan Smith pretend they must be cheats who have been chased away. He invents figures, defying even the UK Statistics Authority's rebukes. He churns out reports that blame poverty on the poor and their failure to marry, while all his own policies are in crisis.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/duncan-smith-poverty-benefit-sanctions-easterhouse

And the Liberal Democrats have allowed all this to happen. Don’t forget that if you’re ever tempted to vote tactically.
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by sickchip Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks Ivan.

It made my blood boil reading it; but it is an excellent article. One would think jobcentre staff are there to advise and help those unfortunate enough to become unemployed - instead 'advisers' are instructed by the tories to engage in a dirty tricks campaign against the unemployed. How low can this government go?
sickchip
sickchip

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellatori Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:08 pm

sickchip wrote:Thanks Ivan.

It made my blood boil reading it; but it is an excellent article. One would think jobcentre staff are there to advise and help those unfortunate enough to become unemployed - instead 'advisers' are instructed by the tories to engage in a dirty tricks campaign against the unemployed. How low can this government go?
Don't be pessimistic. Give them some credit. I am sure they will keep trying. sarcasm  They are experts at limbo dancing.

Bellatori
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 pm

There genuinely is nothing new under the sun.