Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

+18
Bellatori
Dan Fante
Red Rackham
Red Cat Woman
Mel
blueturando
KnarkyBadger
Adele Carlyon
sickchip
trevorw2539
Phil Hornby
Stox 16
bobby
jackthelad
oftenwrong
tlttf
astra
Ivan
22 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Empty Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by Ivan Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

In 1956-7, Ipswich Town Football Club was promoted from Division 3 (South) to Division 2 (what's now called the Championship). Its success continued, reaching Division 1 (when it really was Division 1 and not, in effect, Division 3), and becoming English champions in its first season in the top flight (1961-2). Admittedly, the team's success owed a lot to the brilliance of Alf Ramsey, who later became the only manager ever to lead England to World Cup victory, but we all know it couldn't happen now. Nobody in their right mind would expect Swansea to become Premier League champions this season, only a very small group of teams can possibly achieve that. Realistically, only about seven teams have any chance of finishing in the top four - isn't it all too predictable, and therefore boring?

It all comes down to money, like so many things in life. Manchester United supporters used to joke that the two best teams in Manchester were Manchester United and Manchester United reserves, but I doubt if they do that now after their recent 6-1 thrashing by Manchester City. So what's changed? Manchester City was taken over by a group of businessmen from Abu Dhabi and received an enormous injection of cash.

Wouldn't you prefer it if Ipswich Town, or maybe Swansea or Wigan, had a chance of being English champions?
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by oftenwrong Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 am

Do they still suck lemons at half-time?

oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring?

Post by trevorw2539 Mon May 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:Shocking! As soon as the talk turns to soccer , the standard of language deteriorates. Any mention of a hot pie and Bovril at half-time and you'll have to be asked to leave the Board... Basketball cheers

With the cost of petrol to get there, and the entrance fee can anyone afford a - er, erm - caviar sandwich and champagne. Wink
AND I ACTUALLY DID FORECAST A MANCHESTER WIN confused Ooops wrong colour. Embarassed
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon May 14, 2012 7:33 pm

After a disappointing season, I'm thinking of giving up my personal box at the local soccer stadium for next year.

It's not easy to balance on it ,anyway... cheers
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Keep it in case you ever go into Politics, Phil.

What this Country needs is a Constitution, Restitution and Pros...... What was the third word, I can't remember now.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am

Things You'd Love to Do - Number 278

Give Mr Joey Barton - the QPR Resident Hothead -an oval ball and send him out to take on a Rugby Union Premiership player. We could then detect just how 'hard' he really is...
Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Does anybody else know where the body is buried, that John Terry seems to know about?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu May 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Interesting that Mr Brendan Rodgers seems to be relinquishing his post as Swansea City manager to take up a similar appointment at Liverpool FC. It's not often you see a chap seeking a move to a smaller club... cheers

Last edited by Phil Hornby on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by trevorw2539 Thu May 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Phil Hornby wrote:Interesting that Mr Brendan Rogers seems to be relinquishing his post as Swansea City manager to take up a similar appointment at Liverpool FC. It's not often you see a chap seeking a move to a smaller club... cheers

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Now I am getting cross Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Smile
trevorw2539
trevorw2539

Back to top Go down

Post by KnarkyBadger Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:13 am

Not next season with the mighty Southampton back after 7yrs!
KnarkyBadger
KnarkyBadger

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 am

Things You'd Love to Do - Number 278

Give Mr Joey Barton - the QPR Resident Hothead -an oval ball and send him out to take on a Rugby Union Premiership player. We could then detect just how 'hard' he really is... .

I would pay good money to see that Phil...What a great idea Very Happy

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Real Madrid 3 Manchester City 2

After the spectacle of the final minute of last season when City followers celebrated with the moronic TV commentator who shouted "Aguerrrooooooooo" rather overlong , when said player scored the winner which clinched the Premier League, those same fans can now doubtless enjoy some Spanish commentator bawling "Ronaldddoooooo" as the former Manchester United player scored to beat their favourites just before the end of the game tonight in Madrid.

I bet there is laughter tonight in some parts of Manchester... ....... Basketball cheers
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:20 pm

So what's your problem with "Mourinhooooooooo.....", Gringo? Smile
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Maybe that sign outside John Lennon Airport in Liverpool should be amended to say: "Above us only sky, below us only QPR and Reading."
Sad
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Certainly Premier league football seems to have something in common with "no-frills" airlines. Everything always costs more than you expected.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 pm

"no-frills" airlines. Everything always costs more than you expected..
Ah, that reminds me of this gem:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Ivan wrote:When Manchester Utd score four successive goals from penalties - two against Stoke, two against Chelsea (the last of which arose from a dive) - one begins to smell a rat! And why is Ferguson allowed to harangue and intimidate referees when they leave the pitch at half time?

OOOOH!! Now that is well out of order Ivan. You only said that because you knew I never visit this thread. :affraid: Very Happy Now I am forced to to defend my loved ones.

Fergie is entitiled to question referees decisions because he knows the game far better than any of them.
He stands no nonsense from his players and does not allow them to cheat nor purposely cause opposing players injury. He is a fair man although he swiftly exits any player who gives trouble (Teves)

The game for me has become very boring indeed with too much play in midfield and not enough goal action.
The continentals taught us to defend in numbers and play for draws instead of going for it. Too many foreign
players being brought in from overseas and not enough effort nor money has been put into youth Academy football, which is the reason we have a poor international team. However, at last the penny is dropping and I am pleased to see that things are changing in that direction and Fergusson and Di Matteo are leading the way with bringing home grown players through their youth Academies.

Money talks of course, for example my 9year old grandson has been purchased from a top championship club by a top top premier club for £15k. Of course I am proud of him, especially as he has scored 30 goals in his first two months since signing contract. Ridiculous though, all that cash for such a young player.

If clubs start training Barcelona style football, I might become a little more excited at watching the games.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 pm

"Too many foreign players"

That says it all, really.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Stox 16 Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

I watch very little football on TV today. as I find it very hard to get much enjoyment out of seeing who will end the season in forth of fifth place. as it has become a league that is won or lost by the team that spends the most money on players. as a West Ham fan I enjoyed last season far more than I have this season. as last season I had no real idea who was going to win in most games. sad in my own view

Stox 16
Stox 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Cat Woman Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Stox 16 wrote:I watch very little football on TV today. as I find it very hard to get much enjoyment out of seeing who will end the season in forth of fifth place. as it has become a league that is won or lost by the team that spends the most money on players. as a West Ham fan I enjoyed last season far more than I have this season. as last season I had no real idea who was going to win in most games. sad in my own view

you still watch the Hammers on TV dad, so its not all bad ha ha

Em xx

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Redcat10
Red Cat Woman
Red Cat Woman

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm

One of the major problems with Premier League football is the inconvenience of having a list of referees who make Lance Armstrong look like a honest up-front kind of bloke by comparison... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:58 pm

It can only be a matter of time before Premier League match officials have to wear a uniform reminiscent of American NFL Footballers.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 pm

They will only get the respect they seek when they become as competent and credible as those who officiate Rugby Union Premiership fixtures. Right now they are a considerable distance from achieving that...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Article-0-15BBE067000005DC-359_634x452

" .... and as for you laddie, I'm booking you for falling asleep in an ungentlemanly manner ..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:30 pm

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows,
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows,
I believe for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come to show the way,
I believe, I believe.

I believe above the storm a smallest prayer
Will still be heard,
I believe that someone in the great somewhere
Hears every word,
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry,
Or touch a leaf, or see the sky,
Then I know why,
I believe.

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Article-0-15BBE067000005DC-359_634x452
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Clattenburg Puts the Record Straight

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 9418FA4C7D7CBAEF62AF3A73D1D8(msn
" Of course I'm not a racist - I've invited more black chaps to tell me their name than any other referee I know..."
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Poor old Wigan. We are going to have yet another demonstration this evening of how Premier League matches will always be won by the team which the referee has decided will be given the full benefit of his decisions. A nice early sending-off with a penalty to supplement the little 'gift' and - hey presto - it's an easy ride in Newcastle tonight for the little rat in charge... and he's wearing yellow - how apt... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 pm

It seems to me that it's usually Manchester United which benefits from such charity. I'd never be surprised to see the visiting goalkeeper sent off for handball at Old Trafford.
Evil or Very Mad
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Come the weekend I think I can confidently predict that Manchester City will be the beneficiaries of the referee's largesse when they play their rivals from across the city. Another early bath for a defender, probably, or a dodgy decision from a well-primed 'linesman' to disallow a goal, just so that the race at the top of the League is kept close for the betting markets.

And if that doesn't do the trick, I daresay we can expect a penalty for the sky- blue shirts if the game drifts on too long without a City advantage arising. I remember those innocent days gone by, when nobody knew which team would win before the match was actually played... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Makes a pleasant change from Ferrari always being favoured by the Authority.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Cultural Lessons Suggested for Foreign Players in Britain

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 3F644968F06537C2D175EACBC26E14(msn)

" I say, old chap- fancy popping over with your little lady for tiffin next week...?"
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Earlier prediction above on Man City v Man Utd last Sunday : " ...or a dodgy decision from a well-primed 'linesman' to disallow a goal,...."
I must have second sight. Alas, even ensuring that a United goal was incorrectly ruled out for a mysterious 'offside' ( after all, they couldn't have The Reds going 3-0 up could they?!) the official was not able to get that all-important end result.

Next week : how the FA will assist Liverpool to start climbing the league table.... Very Happy
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34 pm

Pitch invaders to be given lifetime ban during which they will be obliged to watch continuous loop re-plays of England World Cup penalty kicking.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm

The football authorities really will have to put a stop to the likes of Allardyce, Moyes and Ferguson complaining about match officials, or we shall begin to believe that referees are a useless bunch of incompetent idiots who are simply intent upon making a few headlines for themselves by creating a bit of controversy to fuel their reputation or ensuring their particular favourites are given an easier passge to victory.

And we couldn't have that, could we...? Very Happy

Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Into each life a little rain must fall

Learn to take the rough with the smooth

Lots of frogs to be kissed before finding the Prince

Faint heart never won Fair Ladye

The long and winding road should be sung in tune

Ten percent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration

The Beautiful Game includes some ugly participants ....
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Steady on -it's only a matter of time before you get around to : " It's a game of two halves...".

Then we'll have to send you off.... Shocked
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Chelsea 8 Aston Villa 0

It is quite clear that Abramovich's Chelsea only won by such a margin by means of the Russian owner having persuaded Vladimir Putin to be flown in to play (badly) in goal for Villa, the KGB having kidnapped the usual goalkeeper ,Brad Guzan, and tortured him by making him watch a recording of the 2012 Tory Party Conference..

Here is the irrefutable evidence....

Guzan

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCNXhwh31tXHLVxHA8SM1O4qxzTKsjCzfovwcMRDRrrCCSrxdX-Q(thefootballsocial.co.uk)

Putin

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShy8c2MtgIR2XEZuzNGlPpbpisU1nrmJnkTuUAr8CVVdcHietMpQ(watchingamerica.com)

I rest my case , which appears to be as convincing as any account of events by Andrew Mitchell...

Last edited by Phil Hornby on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:51 pm

oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Rackham Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Football in this country seems hell bent on killing itself off. I used to be a keen football fan but I drifted away from the game when I realised that I couldn't pronounce the names of many of the millionaire premiership primma donnas who are afforded god like status even though they struggle to string together a coherent sentence. My god, listening to some of them mumble their way through the post match interview which is usually punctuated with many elongated 'Errrrrrrrrrrr's' is excruciating.

Of course the rip off doesn't stop at the turnstile does it, how much does a 'premiership' programme and a pint and pie cost these days? I read today that away fans are being charged £64 to watch Arsenal V Man City (Apparently just 30% of available tickets have been sold) add transport costs and even the most ardent supporter must see he's being ripped off.

Red Rackham
Red Rackham

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 pm

The Premier League's new idea for a red card incorporating a taser gun assists the referee no end at The Emirates yesterday...

Has English Premier League football become too predictable and boring? - Page 3 4DFEA5743FBD5ACF2165C8AB1AB4A(msn)

Last edited by Phil Hornby on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by KnarkyBadger Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Saints are up to the heady heights of 15th!!!!!
KnarkyBadger
KnarkyBadger

https://twitter.com/KnarkyBadger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Would anyone bet against Manchester Utd winning the Premier League this season? If, as expected, they do, the winners during the League's 21-year existence will then be: Manchester Utd 13, Arsenal 3, Chelsea 3, Blackburn 1 and Manchester City 1.

Predictable and boring? Crying or Very sad
Ivan
Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next