Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1)

+28
boatlady
Tosh
biglin
Blamhappy
skwalker1964
Red Cat Woman
Adele Carlyon
Mel
betty.noire
tlttf
trevorw2539
Scarecrow
astradt1
sickchip
LWS
Stox 16
keenobserver1
jackthelad
astra
Ivan
witchfinder
Redflag
Phil Hornby
oftenwrong
Ivanhoe
bobby
Penderyn
blueturando
32 posters

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1) - Page 17 Empty Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1)

Post by blueturando Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Do Labour go hunting for the electorate who voted Blair into power 3 times and risk the wrath of the Unions, or side with the core Labour party supporters and the Unions at a risk of being unable to get back the voters who deserted them in the last election?

The scale of the rift between Labour and the unions over Ed Miliband's decision to embrace austerity measures has been made clear as a senior leader warned of long-term implications over the "most serious mistake" the party could have made.
Unions affiliated to Labour have been fuming since shadow chancellor Ed Balls told a conference at the weekend that he would not reverse the Government's planned 1% public sector pay cap, which affects millions of workers.
Unite leader Len McCluskey warned that Mr Miliband was setting Labour on course for electoral "disaster" and undermining his own leadership by accepting Government cuts and the cap on public sector pay.
Mr Miliband hit back against his union critics, insisting that Mr McCluskey was "wrong" to attack his decision to embrace austerity measures.
It has emerged that the leader of the GMB has written to the union's senior officials saying that the speech by Ed Balls may have a "profound impact" on its relationship with the Labour Party.
General secretary Paul Kenny said in the message: "I have spoken to Ed Milliband and Ed Balls to ensure they were aware of how wrong I think the policy they are now following is. It is now time for careful consideration and thought before the wider discussions begin on the long-term implications this new stance by the party has on GMB affiliation.
"It will be a fundamental requirement that the CEC (executive) and Congress determine our way forward after proper debate. I will update everyone as events unfold but I have to say this is the most serious mistake they could have made and the Tories must be rubbing their hands with glee." The GMB declined to comment on the message but confirmed it had been sent.
Mr McCluskey said in an article in The Guardian: "Ed Balls' sudden weekend embrace of austerity and the Government's public sector pay squeeze represents a victory for discredited Blairism at the expense of the party's core supporters. It also challenges the whole course Ed Miliband has set for the party, and perhaps his leadership itself."
Mr Miliband responded in a statement: "Len McCluskey is entitled to his views but he is wrong. I am changing the Labour Party so we can deliver fairness even when there is less money around and that requires tough decisions."

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1) - Page 17 Empty Re: Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1)

Post by Adele Carlyon Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm

I can't share the same space as someone who's singing the praises of the BNP and the EDL. It kind of turns my stomach. What with his racist rants and that other muppet the monkey, you have your work cut out for you Ivan.

Adele Carlyon

Back to top Go down

Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1) - Page 17 Empty Re: Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1)

Post by Redflag Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

bambu wrote:
oftenwrong wrote:"Abbos" is racist."

Comical, emanating from an obvious racist, but actually it's satire, bambu.

sat·ire [sat-ahyuhr] noun
The use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Who were the 7/7 bombers, and from where did they spring?

The UK to answer your question, but you tell me where did the 9/11 bombers come from.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Where should the Labour Party position itself? (Part 1) - Page 17 Empty What does the Labour Party stand for?

Post by tlttf Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am

Is there a difference between the Tories and the Labour Party. Both claim to work for the people, both claim to help the those that strive to improve themselves and both show utter contempt for anybody earning under £45,000 pa.

Ms Abbott's chip-bashing, booze-demonising start to 2013 sums up what her beloved Labour has become – the party of anti-masses nagging. Labour looks upon its old support base, the working classes, as a festering blob of drunken, junk-scoffing drones who don't know what's good for them. Once, Labour claimed to represent and respect the labouring classes (the clue was in the name); now it has nothing but contempt for those classes, spending the past two decades bombarding them with parenting lessons.

Check out the above at the Telegraph. Before screaming "typical tory paper" check out exactly who and what Abbot believes in?

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Check out the above at the Telegraph.
The correct procedure is to provide a link if you want to persuade anyone to "check out" any of your stories.

I haven't forgotten the last time you rushed to provide us with a story from 'The Daily Telegraph' and it turned out to be libellous. Not so fast in retracting it, were you? Do you intend to post an apology to Margaret Hodge, or do I have to do it on your behalf?
Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 pm

tlttf wrote:Is there a difference between the Tories and the Labour Party. Both claim to work for the people, both claim to help the those that strive to improve themselves and both show utter contempt for anybody earning under £45,000 pa.

Ms Abbott's chip-bashing, booze-demonising start to 2013 sums up what her beloved Labour has become – the party of anti-masses nagging. Labour looks upon its old support base, the working classes, as a festering blob of drunken, junk-scoffing drones who don't know what's good for them. Once, Labour claimed to represent and respect the labouring classes (the clue was in the name); now it has nothing but contempt for those classes, spending the past two decades bombarding them with parenting lessons.

Check out the above at the Telegraph. Before screaming "typical tory paper" check out exactly who and what Abbot believes in?

What about the coke sniffing Tory MPs ?, I do not notice you mention them or the Toy MPs with port folio of expensive properties and renting them back to Tory MPs and of course the tax payers FOOT the bill "ITS MORALLY WRONG.

Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Meanwhile, back at the topic ....

Today's Independent carries an article suggesting that Ed Miliband could do worse than emulate a previous Leader of the Labour Party, Hugh Gaitskell, possibly the greatest PM we never had, for his modernising ambitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Gaitskell
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Tosh wrote:
£200 per week is a generous income, and allows saving for emergencies only in the situation of a single person living in shared accommodation (usually with parents) and is not enough money to maintain a home, feed and clothe yourself and transport yourself to and from work, and is certainly not enough to feed and maintain a family.

I have demonstrated that £200 per week is enough for a 2+2 family, and it is certainly enough to stave off starvation, which was my main point.

For a start council housing for 2+2 is around £200.00 to £250.00 per FOUR weeks, gas & electric will be around £100.00 per four weeks the price of food has gone through the ceiling then shoes on feet warm jackets plus incidentals t/paste school uniforms etc. For one person £200.00 p/w is just enough not unless you want people to find there food in rubbish bins.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm

How difficult it seems to be, to stick to the topic heading. Where should the Labour Party position itself?

In a couple of years, the British electorate, not all of whom bother to vote, will be deliberating between Labour, Tory, Lib-Dem and UKIP in circumstances which we cannot yet know. But the majority of those who DO make the effort to vote will be mainly concerned with their own personal circumstances, i.e. according to the feel-good factor.

Will it be enough for the Labour Party to merely be the NOT the Coalition Party?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 am

oftenwrong wrote:How difficult it seems to be, to stick to the topic heading. Where should the Labour Party position itself?

In a couple of years, the British electorate, not all of whom bother to vote, will be deliberating between Labour, Tory, Lib-Dem and UKIP in circumstances which we cannot yet know. But the majority of those who DO make the effort to vote will be mainly concerned with their own personal circumstances, i.e. according to the feel-good factor.

Will it be enough for the Labour Party to merely be the NOT the Coalition Party?

I do not think it will be enough, the time starts now for the Labour party to set out its direction for the future and to put a fire underneath those that do not vote.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 am

Redflag, I could not agree more
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldboy Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:40 am

Redflag wrote:
I do not think it will be enough, the time starts now for the Labour party to set out its direction for the future and to put a fire underneath those that do not vote.

But they won't achieve that while they appear to be the "not quite as bad as the tories" party. Labour's language needs to change. I find it disgraceful that they've adopted the strivers/scroungers rhetoric.
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

Oldboy, I could not agree more with what you say.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:Oldboy, I could not agree more with what you say.

I agree with what you both have said, I think that the Labour party fell into the trap of the the yellow and blue tories they think that it will attract voters "WRONG"
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Redflag, As a traditional Labour voter, prior to New bloody Labour, I always believed that Labour was wrong to re-band themselves as the New Thatcherite Labour Government just to get into power on the backs of the elfish middle classes.

I want old Labour back, because it's true values are as true and as needed today, as they ever were.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Like it or not, the only reason for the change of Labour Party fortunes in the 1997 election was that BLAIR had forced through a complete break with the past. Had the Party continued with its Michael Foot style of manifesto, dubbed The Longest suicide note in political history, there would have been no interruption to a continuous Tory reign from 1979 right through to the present.

Anyone looking constantly over their shoulder is likely to stumble.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by bobby Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Spot on OW, I couldn't agree more.
bobby
bobby

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I have been wondering about joining the Labour party - never been an active memvber of a political party before - are there any active mebers on here, and what would you say?
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

oftenwrong wrote:Like it or not, the only reason for the change of Labour Party fortunes in the 1997 election was that BLAIR had forced through a complete break with the past. Had the Party continued with its Michael Foot style of manifesto, dubbed The Longest suicide note in political history, there would have been no interruption to a continuous Tory reign from 1979 right through to the present.

Anyone looking constantly over their shoulder is likely to stumble.

I think that a party that stands up for ordinary people should never ditch its core values. I think Labour should have stayed Labour, and the British electorate should have accepted the consequences of continually voting for the Tories.

People get the governments they deserve. Political parties should never change their colours to suit.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

boatlady wrote:I have been wondering about joining the Labour party - never been an active memvber of a political party before - are there any active mebers on here, and what would you say?

Boatlady all my life I was a Labour voter no matter what election, that was until the Tories got into power on 5th May 2010 by the 11th May 2010 I became a Labour party member because I knew what was coming from the Tories, after living through the Maggot gov't of 18 years. You can if you want take an active roll within the Labour party there is CLP held once a month (community Labour party) which allows you to have your say and more important lets get things off your chest and even pass on ideas that you have.

You will have seen Bobby on here he joined because I talk about things that I'm doing in the Labour party in my area so I hope I can give you reasons to join us within the Labour party, I live in Scotland and in 2011 Scottish Parliament elections we where kicked badly by the SNP but I sat in my Labour MSPs campaign office and stuffed 10.000 envelopes in 6 weeks I was lucky I helped to get my area Labour MSP into the Parliament its the only thing that kept me going after the SNP formed the gov't here in Scotland until 2016, of course we have another fight on our hands at the moment because the SNP think that Scotland should be Independent which in my view is a pile of poop.

If you require any more info please PM me and I will get back to you or if you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask and I hope that you do decide to join the Labour party.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Redflag
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really think it has to be one of my New Year resolutions.
I've always in the past thought the only way to change the world is one kind act at a time, but the present gov't are committing so many outrages that maybe it's time to stand up and be counted.
I'm really scared, come next election, that the opposition vote will be split, resulting in a chance for the present government to have another term in office - that would I think get us right back to Victorian England, which is no place I ever want to live.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Ivan
Ivan
Administrator (Correspondence & Recruitment)

https://cuttingedge2.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

boatlady wrote:Redflag
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really think it has to be one of my New Year resolutions.
I've always in the past thought the only way to change the world is one kind act at a time, but the present gov't are committing so many outrages that maybe it's time to stand up and be counted.
I'm really scared, come next election, that the opposition vote will be split, resulting in a chance for the present government to have another term in office - that would I think get us right back to Victorian England, which is no place I ever want to live.

The reason you give is the same reason I joined the Labour party, because I knew what was coming, that is why I get involved with my local L/P I get to have my say and to help the L/P get re-elected at the 2015 G.E. I do understand your fear but your not the only one that is scared and for the same reason as yourself, I think you have made up your mind regarding joining the L/P I have sent you two PMs please read them and contact me here on the board or by PM I'm certain Ivan will be OK but in case you have questions it would be better to PM me. I have to agree with you it is time WE ALL STOOD UP & BE COUNTED.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Ivan
Thanks for the link - the dirty deed is now done.

Redflag
Thanks for kind messages of support.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

boatlady wrote:I have been wondering about joining the Labour party - never been an active memvber of a political party before - are there any active mebers on here, and what would you say?

Jump in! I've always been a natural Labour voter, but I only joined the party about a year ago. The more informed I got, the madder I got - then I decided it wasn't enough to fume on the sidelines and I needed to put my time and money into the fight. I only regret that I didn't do so sooner.
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:47 pm

I became a Labour supporter and activist in 1987. It was Thatcher's era that made me join.

I thought you dont take free milk from school children while im alive.

You dont take money from pensioners when they have already paid into the system.

And you dont sell off council houses and then dont build anymore. And that's just for starters.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks, everybody, for your messages of support - I did the online joining thing tonight - just waiting now to see what happens next.
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 pm

boatlady, for the record I withdrew my membership of Labour when Blair took Labour to the right.

I am waiting to see what Ed Milliband intends doing with Labour before I rejoin
the party.

I believed in old Labour values. Not a re- branding of New Labour.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

With such a friend, who needs enemies?
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 pm

boatlady wrote:Thanks, everybody, for your messages of support - I did the online joining thing tonight - just waiting now to see what happens next.

We definitely need a 'like' button! Smile Congratulations and welcome to the family!
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

boatlady wrote:Thanks, everybody, for your messages of support - I did the online joining thing tonight - just waiting now to see what happens next.

Welcome to the Labour family boatlady, and yes please get involved, find out where your local CLP is held or find out who your local MP is and he/she should be able to point you in the right direction if you have another party MP try and see if you have a Labour councillor again he will let you know all that is going on in your area.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm

If you want to know how labour are running things look no further than the Wales. The labour controlled semi-government is making the greatest cuts to the n.h.s. than anywhere else. can't think why if it's such a bad idea?

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by blueturando Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Deleted. The discussion threads are not the place for personal messages to other members. Ivan.

blueturando
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm

tlttf wrote:If you want to know how labour are running things look no further than the Wales. The labour controlled semi-government is making the greatest cuts to the n.h.s. than anywhere else. can't think why if it's such a bad idea?

A Bright person like you does not know the reason for that tittf, let ME enlighten you, its because the EFFing Tories cut the budget grant to Wales or did you think the money they give to Wales is made out of something else rather than paper, maybe you thought the money going to Wales was made of ELASTIC if you cut budgets it is only natural they have to cut their spending or were you in the hope that the Welsh gov't would borrow and get themselves into trouble?
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Not in the slightest Red, Wales gets as much money per capita as England does, though it is less than Scotland.

Last edited by tlttf on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling)

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 pm

It seems to be a reflex action for any Local Authority to blame shortage of funds for any questionable decision. BT (before Thatcher) Councils used to borrow money from the Public, which apparently gave them greater flexibility than they have now.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 pm

tlttf wrote:Not in the slightest Red, Wales gets as much money per capita as England does, though it is less than Scotland.

But thanks to your Incompetent gov't a lot less than what they need to keep there economy ticking over, but that is down to nothing more than Tory Ideology.
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by tlttf Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks to every-bodies government of previous years, there needs to be a responsible approach to government interference, with liberty comes responsibility and the less interference by government the better. In a perfect world Red the government would subsidise everything (socialism). In the real world it's the working person that has to carry the bill. If Wales can't survive on the subsidy they're given, though it is more than the English receive then saving money where possible is the right way forward. Simply pointing out that it is labour controlled and asking what would happen if Labour gained control of the whole of the UK, would they then have to ask harsh questions of where to cut or would (as previously) simply throw money at the problem?

tlttf
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Redflag Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 am

tlttf wrote:Thanks to every-bodies government of previous years, there needs to be a responsible approach to government interference, with liberty comes responsibility and the less interference by government the better. In a perfect world Red the government would subsidise everything (socialism). In the real world it's the working person that has to carry the bill. If Wales can't survive on the subsidy they're given, though it is more than the English receive then saving money where possible is the right way forward. Simply pointing out that it is labour controlled and asking what would happen if Labour gained control of the whole of the UK, would they then have to ask harsh questions of where to cut or would (as previously) simply throw money at the problem?

I am not asking ANY gov't to subsidise any one just get people back to work forcing employers to pay a decent living wage so they do not need benefits to help them pay for the likes of food gas electric and also to cope when prices go up. As for Wales getting more than England tittf I did not come up the Clyde on a banana boat, while watching the debate in the H.O.C yesterday on the cap of 1% on benefits it came out that Tory councils have taken less of a cut than Labour councils and all of them are in high unemployment areas. I would think more of you tittf if you had the guts to admit the Tory Ideology HATES every bit of the Welfare State and that includes the NHS and want to do away with it so that we can have the WORKHOUSES back in fashion.

Just to put you on your guard the riots of last year are nothing to what is going to hit the streets soon, and come 2015 your gov't will go down in history as the "Worse Ever" then after 2015 will have the tag of "One Term Firm".
Redflag
Redflag
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivanhoe Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am

Redflag, Some people fall so easily into the divide and conquer mode, working class Tories are so thick.

The people in this country on the lower rung of the ladder are suffering from decades of Thatcherism taking away council housing, bringing in a low waged economy, forcing people into the high rents private sector probably means tested for help to pay rents and council tax.

Britain is a low waged, short term, insecure, market based country, security in jobs is a thing of the past.

Security in housing is a thing of the past, security in old age is a thing of the past.

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by skwalker1964 Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 pm

In my opinion, this post pretty much hits the nail on the head as to how Labour should be positioning itself, and where it's missing the mark:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-welfare-bill-a-government-of-millionaires-just-made-the-poor-poorer--and-laughed-as-they-did-it-8443619.html
skwalker1964
skwalker1964

Back to top Go down

Post by oftenwrong Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

In the notional stand-off between Strivers and Skivers, it is earnestly to be hoped that the categories don't simply decide to change sides, as the Coalition would be thrown into total confusion at having to find two new descriptions.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next