Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children?

+4
boatlady
snowyflake
oftenwrong
Boudica
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children? - Page 2 Empty Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children?

Post by Boudica Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just wondering what people on here think about the notion of a parent being involved in the education of their children.

According to a recent survey covered in the NASUWT magazine, over 25% of children are no longer read to at night. Homework is regularly ignored with the tacit permission of parents. I have had parents make abusive calls when their child is given a detention.

However, come parent's evening, they demand to know why proress isn't being made, if they bother to turn up at all.

So, when does society ask parents to take some responsibility, beyond the financial?
Boudica
Boudica

Back to top Go down

Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children?

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm

boatlady wrote:
Rock
While not wanting at all to challenge your position as fount of all knowledge and wisdom…

One cannot challenge spmething which does not exist.

boatlady wrote:
… which seems to be based more on prejudice…

Prove your statement.

boatlady wrote:
… than on any actual evidence beyond your own experience…

Prove your statement.

boatlady wrote:
… I do feel that the issue of gender bias is very germane to this discussion and would refer anyone with an open mind to a fairly full review of recent research by undertaken by Biblarz and Stacy and published in Journal of Marriage and Family Feb 2010. This is freely accessible via the internet - sorry I don't know how to post a hyperlink.

Because you feel it doesn’t make it so. That being said, gender bias is real and often appropriate.

I am excluded from female restrooms and dressing rooms; I should be excluded from female restrooms and dressing rooms. That’s discrimination, that/s gender bias, and that’s appropriate. I remember a news story about some idiotic male that demanded his right to access female restrooms in public venues. Perhaps he didn’t understand the appropriateness of female bias in this instance.

About six or seven years ago, during a traffic stop on Interstate 30 in far East Texas, the driver of a “dirty” van (loaded down with illegal drugs), a former inmate determined not to go back to prison, beat the holy snot out of a small town female cop. The beating was caught on the officer’s dash cam; it was brutal and sickening. The female cop was interviewed in her hospital room. She looked terrible. The female officer’s husband, a deputy sheriff of the county in which the small town is located, was also interviewed. He was a “Bubba”, a good 6’4” 250 pounds of muscle. The ex-con woman beater had been apprehended soon after the beating and was in county lockdown with “Bubba” as one of his guards. There was a point in the interview at which “Bubba” expressed a desire to take off his gun belt and lock himself in a room with the woman beater. Each of us watching agreed that, had “Bubba” made the traffic stop, homeboy would have thought twice before balling up his fists. Should there be gender bias in selection of cops who make traffic stops? Does zeal to remove gender bias justify the female cop’s hospitalization?

In May of 2011, Osama Who Swims With Fishes was taken out by SEAL Team 6, all of whom are males. “G.I. Jane” notwithstanding, no female has ever completed SEAL training. Gender bias? Yes. Built-in gender bias. Very few humans could complete SEAL training, but every single human that has done so is male.

I watch Law & Order SVU. Of course it’s fiction, but it occurs to me that female detectives are much better equipped than male detectives to investigate sexual crimes. I would wager that at least 90% of sexual crimes involve female victims. One extremely important aspect of investigation is interviewing victims; I would also wager that female detective are far superior to male detectives in this critical area.

boatlady wrote:
While not sharing your dogmatic certainty…

Prove that I have “dogmatic certainty.”

boatlady wrote:
… they do have the benefit of pieces of research carried out within the last 10 - 20 years…

If research was conducted from 1992 until now, you accept it; if the research was conducted prior to 1992, you reject it. Sounds like age bias to me.

boatlady wrote:
… which arguably more accurately reflects current circumstances and social realities.

Definitely age bias.

boatlady wrote:
This research seems to show that there are in fact very few differences between male and female parenting abilities…

My on-the-job research shows in fact that there are distinct and crucially important differences in male and female parenting abilities.

boatlady wrote:
… but that differences in parenting 'styles' seem much more to reflect social roles undertaken within the family (e.g. mothers who stay at home are more likely to provide most of the nurturing, simply because they have more contact with the child)

My mother, my aunts, my grandmother, my great-aunts, and my great-grandmother worked. My wife works. Her mother, her aunts, her grandmother, her great-aunts, and her great-grandmother worked.

Working mothers and working fathers have pretty much equal contact time with their children. The “social norm” in Black Texan families has included working mothers as long as I can remember.

boatlady wrote:
Sadly, as you point out, they did not interview you, but perhaps the fact that they did look at a lot of possibly more relevant material than your opinions will encourage you to have a look at their findings.

Until they interview me, or people like me, they will not discover, and thus they will not know, what I know. That’s not surprising; social researchers often ignore things that don’t “fit” their templates.

Back to top Go down

Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does a parent hold any responsibility in the education of their children?

Post by oftenwrong Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Now there speaks a Man. A Texas Man. But no Gentleman.
oftenwrong
oftenwrong
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by boatlady Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 pm

OW Thanks I really will try it
boatlady
boatlady
Former Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2