Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle

2 posters

Go down

On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle Empty On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle

Post by Dan Fante Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am

30th October 1974. Kinshasa, Zaire played host to what was arguably the most famous boxing clash of all-time as Ali beat the odds to regain the title from the formidable and previously invincible George Foreman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24631024

Incidentally, anyone interested who hasn't already done so should check the excellent Oscar-winning documentary about the fight, the aftermath and all the crazy build-up: When We Were Kings. Norman Mailer also chronicled the events in his excellent book The Fight.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle Empty Re: On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle

Post by Phil Hornby Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:01 pm

The latest 'rumble' - Froch-v- Groves -was ended by the referee, much to the chagrin of Groves, who looked no more shaken than Froch had been earlier in the fight.

What was the official scared of? And why? I never trust these folk with the ability to determine the outcome of any sporting contest - especially when there are so many ways in which they can suddenly produce a game-changing 'decision'...
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle Empty Re: On this day in history....The Rumble in the Jungle

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 am

I think Froch was probably going to go on and knock him out but it was a bit of a funny decision. Groves did seem to be just hanging on but I bet it wouldn't have been stopped if it was the other way around.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 pm

It's a shame about Jonathan Trott. I hope he gets over it. Quite apart from his issues though the international cricket schedule is absolutely ridiculous in terms of the stress it puts on players.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Mr Trott seemed to have all sorts of nervous afflictions by the way he obsessively marked his crease for his batting stance. We wish him well.

I never had to mark the crease since I rarely knew where the stumps were anyway when I batted...hence my usual dismissal was LBW ...Embarassed
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 am

Oops, wrong thread. Anyway, never mind Laughing
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Hornby Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I put it down to your being punch-drunk, Dan.....    Smile
Phil Hornby
Phil Hornby
Blogger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fante Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Or drunk on punch.
Dan Fante
Dan Fante

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down